Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Lucas Carrington was one of the last passengers to board the plane. He almost missed his flight due to a last minute business meeting.

It was times like these Luke was thankful he was able to afford first-class seating. He wouldn’t have to walk to the back of the plane and sit in tiny seats for the six hour flight. He found his seat with ease and slipped into it almost unnoticed by the female passenger looking out the window.

Luke stowed his laptop bag underneath the seat in front of him and closed his eyes. It had been a long trip. Ensuring the new Icelandic division of his client’s  company understood their legal obligations and limitations, had taken it’s tole on Luke. All he really wanted to do was sleep.

By the time the plane reached its cruising altitude, Luke was asleep and the passenger sitting next to him was deeply engrossed in a novel.

Two hours into the flight, the plane began to shake and the fasten seat belts light came on. Luke was disturbed from his slumber and looked around to see what was going on. He turned to his right and tried to peer out the window. They must have hit some turbulence. His seatmate had her eyes closed behind frosted white rimmed glasses, and her hands gripped the armrests with such force the skin on her knuckles was pulled tight.

Luke stared at the woman sitting next to him. He did not really get a good look at her when he first sat down. There was something familiar about her curly hair and the way her brow furrowed into a frown.

“Hey, are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just really hate turbulence. I don’t mind flying but I absolutely hate turbulence.” She said with her eyes still closed.

Her voice sounded familiar; it reminded Luke of a classmate from college, one with whom he had taken multiple classes and with whom he shared a major. As Luke’s brain tried to recall a name, the plane stopped rocking and the woman sitting next to him relaxed her grip and opened her eyes. She turned to Luke, who looked like he was lost in thought.

“I know you from somewhere.” She said staring into Luke’s brown eyes.

“Yeah, we went to college together and we had a number of classes together. You were a PR major right?” Luke asked.

“Yes,I... wait...you’re Luke. That’s your name right?” She asked pointing her finger at him.

Luke smiled, “you’re better at names than I am.”

“Cassie. My name is Cassie.”

“Oh, right I remember now. Cassandra Mitchell, you wanted to go on and do a lot of non-profit work.”

“Yeah it was something like that. So, did you go to law school?” Cassie asked shifting the focus away from her and back to him.

“In fact I did. I work with a firm that focuses on international business law. What about you? Are you working in the communications field?”

Apparently, Cassie was not successfully avoiding the inquiry into her own life. “No, not really. I’m not really doing anything right now. I took a year off and traveled the world. I needed to gain some perspective on life.”

“Well, what did you do before that?”

“I wrote songs.”

“Really, how did that work out for you?”

“I got pretty good at it actually,” Cassie said.

“Any songs I’ve heard of?”

“I doubt it. Have you heard of Jade?”

“Of course I’ve heard of Jade, who hasn’t?”

“Well, I wrote most of the songs on her latest album.” Cassie said.

“That’s impressive. A couple of those songs were nominated for the Grammy Awards weren’t they?”

“I haven’t really been paying much attention to the industry. As I said, I spent the last year gaining perspective on life. I’ll probably find out more when I get home. When I talked to Jade, I specifically told her not to mention anything related to work.”

“Why?” Luke asked.

“Why what?”

“Why did you take a year off.”

“I told you. To gain a different perspecti...”

“Yes,” Luke interrupted, “you’ve said that. But usually there is some reason a person decides to quit their job and travel the world and ‘gain a new perspective on life,’”he said making air quotes with his fingers.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Cassie opened her book and began reading where she left off.

“Why don’t you want to talk about it? Did a relationship end badly?” Luke probed, trying to get a feel for what was going on in Cassie’s life.

Cassie continued to ignore Luke as she flipped the page.

“So you’re ignoring me now. That’s a bit juvenile isn’t it.”

“Why do you care? I told you I do not want to talk about it.”

“Maybe you should, talk about it.”

Cassie began to get defensive. “So what, are you a shrink now too?”

“No I just think discussing whatever happened might help you feel better. Who knows. Maybe that’s why fate had us sit next to each other.” Luke said.

“I don’t believe in fate.”

“Really, you don’t believe in fate?”

“Coincidences, yes they happen. But there is no such thing as fate.”

“Okay then.”

“Are you going to stop asking me questions?” Cassie asked.

“I don’t know. I’m thinking.”

“Uh-huh,” Cassie turned back to her book and tried to immerse herself in the story.

After four hours of Cassie ignoring the feeling of Luke’s eyes on her, the plane began its decent and finally landed in New York.

Cassie hurried off the plane, and avoided Luke, as best as she could.

“Hey Cassie wait up.” Luke called as he jogged to catch up to her.

For some reason, Cassie stopped power walking and looked back. When Luke did reach her, Cassie began to walk again.

“So, is this your final destination?” Luke asked.

“Does it matter?” Cassie asked looking up for the first time in a while.

“I think it does. It would be nice to catch up with you in a more proper setting.”

“Yes, this is my final destination. And I don’t think we’ll be seeing each other again.” Cassie said.

“So you’re leaving it up to fate then?” Luke grinned and tilted his head.

“I told you I don’t believe in fate. This,” Cassie said using her finger to gesture between the two of them, “was a coincidence that will probably not happen again. Anyway, I think someone is waiting for you.” Cassie pointed to a man holding a sign with Luke’s first initial and last name.

“Damn” Luke shook his head, “that means I have a debriefing meeting to go to. It was nice seeing you again Cassie. I’ll see you around.”

Cassie gave him a fake smile, “doubtful.”

Luke shook his head to himself and walked over to the awaiting driver. “We’ll see about that.”