Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading and reviewing. It makes me smile. Here's chapter two enjoy.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Cassie arrived back at her apartment and threw her bags on the floor. She looked around the clean but dusty room. On the table by the door, was a pile of a year’s worth of unopened mail with a sticky note on top. ‘Glad you're back,’ it read. Cassie’s neighbor had collected her mail for her.  It was good to be home. Although, being home meant she was back to reality. It had been over a year since Christian’s death. But for Cassie, some days it still felt like yesterday.

Walking into her kitchen, Cassie decided to make some tea before sitting down to look through the pile of mail, which was sure to be mostly of the junk variety. She was so engrossed in her sorting, she did not hear the knock at the door. When the lock clicked and the door opened, Cassie almost fell off the couch.

“So you are here. Just wanted to make sure your plane didn’t fall out of the sky.”

“Damn-it Jade! What the hell are you doing just walking into my apartment like that?” Cassie said as she looked up at the woman standing in front of the now closed door.

“First of all, I banged on the door. And secondly, didn’t you get my message?” Jade asked.

“No, I haven’t checked the answering machine yet.” Cassie stood up from the floor.

“I didn’t leave it on your home phone I left it on your cell.”

“Oh sorry, was it anything important?”

Jade smiled and walked over to her friend, “nope I was just welcoming you back to the states, and informing you I was coming over. I’m so glad you’re back!” Jade pulled Cassie into a hug.

“I’m happy to be home, but I think I should have spent more time abroad.” Cassie sat back down on the couch and Jade joined her.

“Why is that?” Jade asked.

“I don’t think I’m ready to get back in the groove of things.”

“Wait, what, why? You’re confusing me.”

“I mean, I’m not ready to go back to work. I don’t have anything to write about.”

“Cassie, really? It’s been over a year and a half now. I thought this whole ‘see the world’ thing was supposed to, you know, help you get over him.”

“You are the one who suggested I take some time off and travel the world.”

“Yeah, but  I didn’t think it would take a year!”

Cassie rolled her eyes and got up. She walked into the kitchen and fixed two more cups of tea, one for her and one for Jade.

“Other than the fact that after a year you’re still in a funk, how was the world?” Jade asked getting up and following Cassie into the kitchen. She sat down on a bar stool facing Cassie.

“The world sucks.” Cassie said.

Jade raised an eyebrow confused.

“I mean, I visited some really beautiful places, but there is so much poverty and so many people just barely surviving.”

“So, you didn’t just go to the nice places, you saw the slums of the world as well? I am all for helping people, and that’s something we need to talk about, but how the hell is that supposed to help you feel better?”

Cassie shook her head and continued to sip the steaming tea.

“Okay then. We can talk about what you plan on doing for a living if you’re not going to write songs.”

“I honestly don’t know.”

“Well, you could put that fancy degree you got 14 years ago to work.”

“Right, what organization is going to hire someone who hasn’t worked in the PR industry since their college internships 14 years ago?”

“I would,” Jade said tasting the tea for the first time. “This is actually pretty good.”

Cassie rolled her eyes and leaned on the counter and put her head in her hands.

“I’m sure you’ll figure something out. Maybe I can help you out.”

“Really, you?”

“Don’t count me out Cassie. I have some ideas, but we can talk about that later. Anything interesting happen on your trek around the world?”

“The entire trip was interesting I went on safari, I met monks...”

“Okay things that I would find interesting, like you meeting guys.”

“I’m not ready to ‘meet guys’ the way you’re talking about. But I did kind of run into someone from college today.”

“Really, is he hot?” Jade asked.

“Why do you assume the person is a male?”

“Why else would you bring him up after I said something about meeting guys. Now, answer the question.” Jade said.

“I guess. It was kind of nice seeing someone from college. I don’t really speak to many people from back then.”

“So, where did you run into him at the airport?”

“That’s the only place I’ve been all day, Jade.”

“Don’t get smart with me.” Jade teased.

Cassie rolled her eyes.  “Yeah, we were seated next to each other on the plane.”

“Wow, that’s...”

“Just a coincidence,” Cassie said, “and nothing else.”

“Did you talk at all?”

“We had a short conversation and he suggested we ‘catch up in a more proper setting.’”

“And are you going to see him again?”

“Um no.”

“No?! Why they hell not? Sweetie you need more friends, I can’t do this on my own.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to see him again anyway. It was just a freaky coincidence.”

“That’s what you say now.” Jade said finishing her cup of tea. “I’d love to stay and chat longer, but I have some things I’m trying to set in motion. I’ll see you later, and as much as I dog you,I love you and I’m really happy to have you back Cassie. I just want the best for my best friend.”

“I know, I know. I’ll call you later.” Cassie said walking around the kitchen island to hug Jade goodbye.

After the door closed, Cassie went back to going through her mail. It really was good to be back; Cassie just was not sure where she would be going from here.