Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I'm back, for now. Got home from Alabama and was sick so no writing. But I'm better now and I have updated. 


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Jade came home, a few days after Cassie’s visit, from working in the studio. She set her bags in their proper places and started to get comfortable. She made her way into her office to check both her e-mail and her voice mail. Sitting down at the computer, she opened an Internet browser and then pressed play on her answering machine.

There was only one message, and that was from Cassie.

“Hi Jade, it’s me. I suppose I’ll help you with the foundation. Give me a call back so we can work out the details. Talk to you later.”

Jade smiled to herself, picked up the phone and dialed Cassie’s number.

“Hello Jade,” Cassie said on the other line.

“Hi, I got your message. You want to work for the foundation.”

“Yeah. It’s something to do and it’s non-profit work so I’m happy.”

“I knew you’d give in.” Jade laughed.

“Don’t gloat. So what’s the plan are you going to set up a meeting?”

“That’s already taken care of. We are meeting with Dani and Sean next Thursday at 3:15.” Jade said jotting down notes on a post-it.

“Oh really?”

“Yup.”

Cassie sighed into the phone, “Sometimes I hate that you know me so well. Where’s the meeting going to be?”

“Have you heard of  Elves?” Jade asked.

“Of course I’ve heard of elves. They’re Santa’s little helpers.”

“No, the restaurant Elves.”

“I think so. Are they even open at 3:15? I thought most places closed around that time to prepare for Happy Hour and dinner.”

“Dani suggested the place. I think her husband owns it.” Jade explained.

“Alrighty then. Three fifteen Thursday at Elves. I’ll see you then.”

“Okay Cassie, I’ll see you later.” Jade hung up the phone and continued checking her email and jotting down notes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________ 


Cassie walked up to the restaurant and looked around. She did not see anyone sitting down inside. It was only three o’clock. She was early. After standing at the door for a couple of minutes, Jade walked  up.

“Hey Cassie. You’re here.” Jade said.

“I said I would be. So, how are we supposed to get into the restaurant for our meeting?”

Jade pulled out her cell phone and began to dial a number, “Dani said to call when we got here.”
She talked for a few seconds on the phone before someone came to the door.

Cassie and Jade entered the restaurant and were escorted to the back by a host. They sat down and waited for a few more minutes before they watched Sean being ushered to their table.

“Sean, so glad you could make it,” Jade said standing up to hug Sean.

“It’s not a problem, Jade. You know this is something I want to do,” said Sean sitting down.

Jade smiled. “Have you met Cassie Mitchell before?”

“No, I haven’t had the opportunity, but I really do enjoy your work,” said Sean shaking Cassie’s hand.

“Thank-you. It’s nice to meet you as well.” Cassie said.

“I’ve actually been hoping to get the chance to work with you at some point. I’ve talked to a few other artists you’ve worked with. They say you’re attentive to their vision and you know how to write songs that are perfect for them and not another artist.” Sean explained.

“Wow, I’m flattered. But I’m not writing right now; I’m taking a bit of a break. That’s part of the reason I’m here now.”

The conversation between Sean and Cassie would have continued, but Dani arrived a few minutes into the discussion. Cassie sat with her back to Dani. Jade, who sat across from Cassie, had the perfect view of the brunette walking up to their table. Both women smiled at each other, before either spoke.

“Here’s Dani now,” Jade pointed out as she stood to greet the other woman.

Sean and Cassie stood as well. Sean instantly stretched forth his hand and greeted the new addition to the table. Cassie, on the other hand, stood shocked. Dani was the last person she expected to see.

“Wow. This, is unexpected!” Dani exclaimed as she sat down to the table.

“Do you two know each other?” Jade asked Cassie and Dani as she sat down.

“Yeah,” Cassie said as she shook herself out of a daze, “we went to college together.”

“That’s an interesting coincidence,” Sean pointed out.

Jade smiled, “Yes it is. Isn’t it Cassie?”

“I still can’t believe this. I just talked to Luke the other day. He’s told me he’d run into you a couple of times, and he told me you were a songwriter. I guess I never thought to ask who you wrote songs for.” Dani said.

“Yeah,” Cassie snorted. “He would say that this was fate.”

“Yes, you’re right. He would.” Dani smiled. “You and I can catch-up later,” she suggested, “why don’t we get started with this foundation?”

Sean and Jade both nodded their heads in agreement. Jade, Dani and Sean  began to brainstorm ideas and statements about what they wanted the foundation to be and what it meant for each of them. As the three of them diligently worked, Cassie became lost in her thoughts. She was trying to figure out ways to back out of the project. It was not that Cassie did not like Dani, in fact Cassie always thought Dani was a nice enough person. The problem was that Dani maintained some type of relationship with Luke, and Cassie just did not want to deal with the Luke situation.  But, Cassie knew she needed the job not just because of the money, but also because it was something to do. As much as Cassie had enjoyed her year off, she really wanted something to do. She felt like she needed some sort of purpose. After fifteen minutes spent tuned out, Cassie mentally jumped back into the conversation and put her other thoughts on the back burner.

They worked for an hour before they decided to call a quits for the evening. The restaurant was going to open up soon for dinner, and the table was needed for paying customers.

As they stood up, Sean stopped the group. “I know that this has nothing to do with the foundation, but I am dying to know why the restaurant is called Elves?”

Dani laughed. “That is all my husband’s doing. He wanted to name the restaurant after me, but he also wanted something catchy. One day he got tongue-tied trying to say my name he called me ‘Daniellves, and Elves kind of came out of that.”

“That’s cute,” said Jade picking up her bags.

“Thanks, I’ll let him know you thought so. I think this meeting was productive. What do you think about next week the same time?” Dani asked the group.

“That’s fine with me. I’ll make it a standing meeting in my calendar.” Sean said.

“Great.” Jade said.

While Sean and Jade were saying their goodbyes to Dani and each other, Cassie attempted to leave without being noticed. But she was unsuccessful.

“Cassie, we really should catch-up. I would love to hear what you have been doing and how you got into the music industry at some point.” Dani said, thwarting Cassie’s escape attempt.

Cassie put on a fake smile and nodded her head, “right, we should definitely get together and do that. Jade I’ll call you later. Sean it was nice to meet you. Bye Dani.” She waved her hand, made her way to the front entrance and left Dani, Sean and Jade talking in the restaurant.

“Wow, she got out of here fast.” Sean commented.

“Yeah she did.” Jade said.

“Well, Dani it was very nice meeting you. I’ll have to come back and actually try the food one day. Jade,” Sean smiled as he squeezed her hand. “I guess I’ll see you both next week.” He let go of Jade’s hand and wave as he exited the building.

Jade turned to Dani with a mischievous grin on her face. “So, how close are you and Luke?”

Dani laughed. She had an idea of where this conversation was going. “Why don’t we sit down at the bar and we can talk.”

They walked over to the bar and sat down. Dani ordered a couple of appetizers before the two women began to talk. Well it was more like conspiring.

“So your relationship with Luke,” Jade grilled.

Dani smiled, “he is actually one of my closest friends and he’s my son’s godfather. But trust me, I am an extremely and regularly satisfied wife to one of the sexiest chef’s in New York.”

Jade laughed, “good to know I guess.”

“I’ve known Luke since college and he’s a good guy who’s kind of just waiting for things to just fall into his lap. He’s had a number of disastrous girlfriends, but of course he doesn’t see it that way. I just want the guy to be happy, and right now I can tell he’s hung up on Cassie. What about you and Cassie. How close are you two?”

“Very, we’ve known each other for years now. She’s written like 85% of my songs. The woman is talented and actually has a killer singing voice.” Jade explained.

“What happened to her?” Dani asked.

“What do you mean?” Jade took a sip from the glass the bartender had sat in front of her.

“She just doesn’t seem like the same person.”

“Are you the same person you were twelve years ago?” Jade asked.

“Well, not exactly the same. I’d like to think I’m wiser. But I don’t believe my personality has made a complete 180. I remember Cassie always tried to look for the best in people. She would say she’d try anything once and that philosophy extended to people too. She always looked for the best in people and gave them a chance to prove themselves to be one way or another.”

“I thought you two didn’t know each other very well in college?”

“You learn a lot about a person when you sit next to them twice a week for five months. You learn even more when you have to work together on projects. We may not have been the best of friends, but we knew each other slightly better than acquaintances.” Dani explained.

“Cassie, has been through a lot the past couple of years. Her boyfriend died about a year and a half ago, and you know how relationships can be a roller-coaster ride. So she actually spent the last year doing some soul searching.”

“I can’t imagine what that must have been like for her, losing someone so close. I guess that would make a person jaded.”

“Yeah, it can. But I think this, working with us and the foundation should help. And I think running into Luke has been good for her.”

“Really?” Dani asked surprised.

“Yes, he’s really gotten under her skin.”

“Well, then. Maybe it’s time some well meaning friends started meddling then isn’t it?” Dani suggested.

“I think so,” Jade smiled. “I’ll keep pushing her about Luke.”

“And, I think I can make a few well meaning suggestions to Luke.” Dani smiled.

The two women began to laugh with each other.

“What are you doing over here?” Alex asked as he came up behind his wife and wrapped his arms around her waist.

“Nothing, Alex. Nothing at all. This is Jade by the way. Jade this is my husband Alex.”

“Very nice to meet you Alex. Love your restaurant.”

“Nice meeting you too Jade. But I think you and my wife are up to something.”

“Like, she said. We aren’t doing anything at all.” Jade smiled. She was happy to have found an accomplice.

Dani was in a good mood as well. It was time to teach Luke that fate could only get a person so far.