Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Emotions Run Very High!!!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A light crowd milled back and forth through Capricorn’s doors but Antonio wasn’t particularly worried it was early evening and the action wouldn’t start until later on in fact the DJ was already setting up his equipment. He conversed with a few regulars who ordered a beer or two before departing. Every so often he would sneak a peek at Layla who was working feverishly behind the bar with his bartender Angela helping out.

 

“Layla…Layla…Layla!”

“Huh?”

“If all my employees worked as hard as you are doing right now I would be a happy man.”

“You couldn’t afford that employee,” Layla joked sticking out her tongue.

“Watch where you stick that tongue it could be dangerous,” Antonio said but Layla had already return to her preoccupation mind split between two areas – one on getting the bar ready and the other on Evangeline and what she might be going through.

 

A dazed Christian came waltzing into the club requesting a beer. He winked at Angela as he gulped down the entire contents before asking for another.

 

“Christian I’ve been trying to contact you the whole day. Where have you been?”

 

Cris glanced over at Layla before saying, “why don’t you ask your girlfriend.”

 

Hearing her name called Layla struck back, “Get a life.”

 

“I had one before other people interfered and here we are back to the same old shit!”

 

“Whoa…whoa…the both of you hold on. Am I missing something here?”

 

“Did you see Evangeline and the baby?”

 

“Yes I was over at the apartment earlier – helping out.”

 

“Well her little girl may probably be mine or…Todd’s.” Antonio was stunned.

 

“That’s why…Layla why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I know you would open up your big mouth to that abusive tyrant over there.”

 

“I never abused Evangeline!”

 

“I saw the bruises on her arms and back Christian! I’m not blind and Evangeline wouldn’t lie to me!”

 

“Could you guys please calm down? I do have a business to run. I think we need to take this conversation somewhere else.” Antonio was right people were beginning to stare.

 

“Fine by me!”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Angela could you please take care of the bar….this won’t take long.”

 

“Ok boss…,” Angela responded nonchalantly. There was always something going with the Vega men.

 

They ended up congregating in Antonio’s upstairs office. Layla strolled over to one corner arms crossed staring sternly at Christian. He stood at the other end staring back and Antonio stood in the middle like a boxing referee.

 

“Judging by your reaction Layla I bet you knew everything from the beginning.”

 

“I am sure of that Antonio.”

 

“Shut the fuck up Christian!”

 

“Layla, how could you do this to me…to Christian? He had a right to know what was going on.”

 

“When my sister shares a confidence with me I am not going around town blabbing about it – not even to you Antonio.”

 

“Now I see what our relationship really means to you.”

 

“So you are the perfect judge of someone’s character. Telling everyone what’s right and what’s wrong. That’s the problem with you Antonio…everything must be black and white in your world when there are a lot of gray areas.”

 

“All I know is that Evangeline kept her pregnancy a secret and look at where we are now. This could have been resolved a long time ago.”

 

“You know what…I’m tired of this shit! Screw you! Get the hell out of my way! Fuck you asshole!” Layla said as she strutted pass Christian slamming the door as she exited. Antonio gave him a stern look and Christian kept his mouth shut. 

 

**********

 

“You need to choose your women more carefully bro.”

 

“Really Christian just shut up! I’m tired of being dragged down in your mess. I happen to like Layla very much and neither you nor whatever is going on is going to screw this up for me.” Antonio roughly sat in his chair and stared off. “I don’t know Cris ever since you came out of the hospital you’re a changed man and it’s not for the better.”

 

“Are you believing what Layla told you man? Estar Mentirosa!”

 

“You are the one lying to yourself! The sooner you admit it the better for everyone involved!”

 

Christian decided to change the subject because it was turning into him being the bad guy instead of Evangeline concealing her pregnancy. “Are you saying that you agree with what Evangeline did to me?”

 

“Of course I don’t agree but Christian there are no winners here!” Cris knew better – to the victor go the spoils and that would be that smug bastard Todd.

 

Antonio turned his chair around and faced the window. His mother always wanted him to look out for his little brother but sometimes it was hard keeping that promise especially when it interfered with his own life. The room became eerily quiet until a contrite Christian pulled up a chair beside him.

 

“During my relationship with Evangeline Todd always kept getting in between. He would just have to call and there she went running off to his rescue. It made me very angry and sorry to say that it brought out the worst in me. Before she left I apologized for hurting her and tried to restart our relationship but it was too late…the damage had already been done.”

 

Christian continued reflecting on meeting Tangie for the first time…

 

“I held her and for the first time in my life I felt really scared. I’ve fucked up my life, career and relationship with her mother…what do I really have to offer compared to Manning. She is so perfect and her father is a washed up artist…” Christian looked down on his hands pondering.

 

“Don’t do this. You do have a lot to offer – it may not be money but you do have a big heart. Mamma and I will be right there to help you share that love.”

 

“That’s why I need you in my corner but it might breakup your relationship with Layla.”

 

“Damnit! You’re my brother and I will always support you for the right reasons. I just pray that you are wrong about Layla. We’ll work through this despite everything that is going on. I don’t think she’s really angry at me just the situation.”

“So how was it seeing Evangeline again?”

 

“I was at a lost for words. There is so much distance between us now and yet we may be joined together for life because of that beautiful little girl.” Christian paused. “Tomorrow is the DNA test. I hope you’ll come along.”

 

“I’ll be there.”

 

Shit…

 

“What?”

 

“I never asked Evangeline her name.”

  

 

Todd’s penthouse…

 

After leaving Evangeline’s apartment all Todd could think of doing was going home. It was empty, dark, cold and lonely – devoid of that feeling of love…Blair had primary custody of the kids and he wanted it that way. He was tired of the constant fighting and what it was doing to Starr and Jack. With Evangeline gone and his divorce finalized the new mission became finding his son but it was a classic Manning storyline – there was no happy ending. Now there may be a new beginning…

 

“Have you come back to me or am I still dreaming…you, me and our little angel Tangie...” The scotch was working its magic as it eased his tension. Phil Collins’ ‘In the Air Tonight’ echoed throughout the room.

 

A persistent knocking stirred him back to reality.

 

“Todd, open up. Let me in.”

 

“Just go away Vicki. I want to be alone with my thoughts!”

 

“And that’s the problem. I’m not going anywhere until you open this door.” He opened the door – who else was he going to talk to? Vicki gazed around as she entered.

 

“Sorry to disappoint you Vicki but I wasn’t in the mood for tearing the penthouse apart.” He did enough of that when he discovered that Sam was truly dead.

 

“Eerie music and scotch go great together,” Vicki responded sarcastically. Todd switched off the music. “Evangeline is back in town and you’re already a wreck.”

 

“Listening to music and drinking a glass of scotch isn’t a wreck Vicki. You need to check your own house before peaking into mine.”

 

“Ha…weren’t you the one crawling in my kitchen when your world was falling apart.”

 

“Evangeline was gone and I needed someone.”

 

“Now that she is back I guess I’m off the list. Is that what I’ve become to you?”

 

“Vicki you don’t understand what I feel. You’ve always wanted to push Blair and I back together and for a while I brought into it until she made me look like a fool time and time again.”

 

“What about Starr and Jack?”

 

“I have another someone to think about as well. She brought a surprise…a little baby girl that could be mine. I know in my heart that she is mine. Evangeline is just accommodating that ‘illegal’. He would be questioning the paternity. Could you believe she named her Tangie.” Vicki was dumbfounded

 

“Oh my…you and Evangeline…her and Christian…Baby…Tangie?!” Then a light went on in Vicki’s mind – visions of the Maury Show screaming through her brain. “How could she do this?”

 

“I’m not going to allow you to speak badly about Evangeline. Before you even think about it Evangeline didn’t leave because she was pregnant. If she had known I’m sure she would have stayed in Llanview. She has done the right thing in coming back.”

 

“Todd, are you listening to yourself? Standing here defending her actions…you seriously need to give up this dream of you and Evangeline being together.”

 

“I would die first before I ever give up that dream. You know what she did…she named our little girl Tangie. Evangeline is back and there is no way I’m going to let her get away again.” It was official Todd had clearly lost his mind Vicki thought. Delusional thinking had finally set in. The death of his son had finally taken a toll on his mental stability.

 

Suddenly Blair came bursting through the doors. It caught them both by surprise.

 

“How the fuck did she get in?!”

 

“I don’t know.” Then Todd remembered he had forgotten to lock the door. This night keeps getting better and better.

 

“Todd I’ve been calling you over and over again – tired of getting your stupid voicemail. Jack’s baseball game is tomorrow.”

 

“I heard the message now go away.”

 

“Why have you stopped listening to me? Where our kids are concerned we need to talk things over,” Blair admonished.

 

“We don’t need to talk we need to move on from one another.”

 

“I’m never going away Todd. I am the mother of your two kids and that whore Evangeline and her bastard child are never going to take that away.” News sure did travel fast. Blair always did have a way of finding out information. Todd snapped.

 

“For a bitch that spreads her legs more than Country Crock you’ve got a lot of nerve. Don’t you call Evangeline a whore or our little girl a bastard ever again!” Todd yelled as he grabbed her by the throat.

 

“Todd I can’t breathe…,” Blair said hoarsely.

 

“Todd, let go. TODD…LET GO!!!” Vicki screamed. He finally did. Blair coughed as air filled her lungs again. She went over to the bar poured herself a glass of club soda drinking it down quickly.

 

“Blair, are you alright?”

 

“Yeah I’m ok Vicki.”

“I can’t believe you tried to choke me to death ov…” Vicki shook her head at Blair. Now wasn’t the time to mention Evangeline’s name again. Blair stopped talking and rubbed her throat.

 

“Todd Manning, are you out of your mind?!”

 

“I told you from the beginning that I wanted to be alone. Everybody get out! Get Out! Get The Fuck Out! I want to be alone! ALONE!” They did as he commanded.

 

Crashing the glass across the wall he slumped into his chair letting out deep sigh. He hated that he lost his cool. Blair was a huge thorn in his side but hell he didn’t wish her any harm. She will probably be blabbing this incident to the kids and that witch Dorian. Even if she didn’t talk the bruising around her neck would say it all.

 

Todd, get a grip. This part of you has got to change for the sake of Evangeline and Tangie.

 

He silently whispered, “Evangeline…Tangie...”

 

 

1:00 a.m.

 

Another bottle feeding and Tangie was settling down in her mother’s arms.

 

“You are my life and I will do everything to protect you.” She enjoyed the connection between mother and daughter. Everyday she grew inside her she felt that overwhelming love. Tangie was that special part of her.

 

“Your mother has made a real mess hasn’t she? Todd and Christian…Antonio and Layla…and the list may go on and on but I have to stop running and face up to life.” She placed a small kiss on her forehead. “I promise you soon it will be all over.”

 

 

30 minutes later…

 

Evangeline had already placed Tangie in her crib sleeping to the tunes of bedtime lullabies. She was preparing to go to bed when she heard her cell phone ring. It was probably Layla she thought…who else could be calling her at this hour. The number looked familiar but it wasn’t Layla’s. It couldn’t possibly be…

 

“Hello…”

 

“Evangeline…”

 

“Todd, how did you get my new number?” Knowing Todd it sounded like a silly question. “Why are you calling me? Is something wrong?” Why did she ask that question?

 

“Vicki was at the penthouse earlier and then Blair came over uninvited of course…” Here we go again. She didn’t need to get involve in another conflict between those two.

 

“Todd I’m sure the two of you can work things out. I need to get some rest – remember…tomorrow.”

 “I know Evangeline but I lost it tonight. I can’t sleep. All I keep thinking about is losing you and my son. I just need someone to talk to; someone who can listen without passing judgments. Evangeline I need you. Can I come over?”