Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I hang my head in shame for the delay. The writer's block bug bit me hard on this one. I mean like really hard. Now I'm procrastinating because the ending is sketched and don't want to break anybody's heart...but it's coming...it's gonna make me cry...anyway...here's an update...more soon




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The scent of freshly pressed garlic hung heavy in the air when Rachel finally opened her eyes. She had to be dreaming. Raylan was the king of take out, Chinese food, wings, pizza, anything other than cooking unless it meant firing up a grill and burning a slab of ribs. Tim was good for breakfast, grits, eggs, toast, things that didn't require a lot of effort or seasoning. So she guessed Winona had to be the one she would have to thank for making her mouth water and her stomach growl. If the woman kept it up, they might actually become friends.

 

Rachel kicked the covers from her body and wondered when she'd made it out of the jeans, button down, and jacket into a pair of shirts and one of Tim's ranger tees. She honestly felt better, but she refused to admit to any sharp shooter or know it all within a three mile radius that she really had needed to rest. Her eyes flitted to the clock it was close to midnight. Had she really slept that long on an empty stomach? She needed food...immediately.

 

Barefoot and starving, Rachel made her way down the hall and to the kitchen. She hoped her company was upstairs, tucked in their beds, and fast asleep. Maybe after a few plates of leftovers and a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios she could find her way back to dreamland. The light from the television spilling into the hallway caught her attention. She could hear the voice of some guy named Stuart, Bill, Mike, Mark, or whatever going on and on about the big game and the shot that could have propelled the team into the playoffs. She poked her head around the corner and frowned when she found the room empty.

 

"Looking for me?"

 

She nearly jumped from her skin when she felt the breath on the back of her neck. She turned and met Tim's amused gaze.

 

"I just left you," He leaned in and pecked her cheek, "Sorry if I woke you."

 

Her eyes grew larger at the sight of the plate in his hand. Pasta tossed in a light sauce with tomatoes, garlic, red onions, and broccoli.

 

"Winona wouldn't fry us any chicken."

 

"Good." The man ate chicken constantly. It was a small miracle that he didn't weigh over two hundred pounds or have the cholesterol level of a small town in Mississippi. She lifted the plate from his hand, "Get me a fork."

 

He pouted for a moment, "That was..."

 

"Gutterson...fork...now..."

 

Rachel made herself comfortable on the couch, pulling a blanket over her legs before grabbing the remote and finding a late night episode of Family Guy.

 

"First you steal my food and then you change the channel...I can't deal with too much more of this abuse woman."

 

Tim settled beside her, lifting her legs into his lap before he dug into the plate of food. She was about to protest until he lifted the fork to her lips. She watched him quietly as he fed her. Occasionally he looked in her direction but mostly he laughed at Stewie's antics on the screen.

 

She couldn't help thinking of the differences in the two men again.

 

Raylan was a commanding presence. He demanded your attention and time. He'd done as much telling her that they would finish their intimate discussion after all the insanity surrounding them ended. Tim just took what she offered. He was here now taking care of her, meeting her needs. She knew that she couldn't fully discount Raylan; he'd probably conceded defeat to keep the peace but...

 

She felt the brush of Tim's rough knuckles against her cheek and Rachel let her internal debate go.

 

"You want some more?"

 

She stared at him, noticing for the first time the way his eyes sparkled in the dimly lit room, the scar just below his left eye, and that his two front teeth were more than a little bucked.

 

"Not the food."

 

Rachel's hand brushed across his thigh to space that held a very obvious bulge.

 

Tim laughed nervously and it did something to her, deep down at her center.

 

"Why Deputy Brooks, are you trying to seduce me?"

 

He shifted her onto his lap, careful to avoid her shoulder. She could make this work. She could be happy with him, just like this.

 

"Tell me if it's working."

 

Tim kissed her, not wincing from the taste of garlic on her tongue. He stood from the couch, holding onto her, keeping her legs wrapped around him. He walked their bodies to her bedroom door.

 

"I can show you better than I can tell you."

 

~`~

Raylan pressed his ear against the door and listened; nothing - not a breath, snore, or moan could be heard.

 

He was thankful for the omission of the last one but still he wanted to be on the other side of the door. Not on the outside looking in. All night Tim had stood watch over Rachel. He was the one to dish out her prescribed dosage of medicine. He delivered the bottles of water. He locked the door behind him when he went in Rachel's room. He raised his hand to bam on the door and then a voice interrupted his very stupid, extremely callous move.

 

"Don't be an ass it's two o'clock in the morning."

 

Raylan prepared to toss a few words of quick wit in Gary's direction but the man's mouth proved too quick for him.

 

"What are you going to do, stand there all night, most of the morning, jump him when he comes out, and then lock yourself inside with her."

 

He moved to walk away.

 

"Not so fun when the shoe's on the other foot."

 

Was Gary trying to imply, "Whatcha you saying Mr. Hawkins, if I recall, Winona was my wife until you came along."

 

The man waved his hand, "And now she's close to being yours again but that's not good enough, you got to have every man's woman...Ava...Winona...Rachel..."

 

Raylan grabbed the real estate agent by the collar t-shirt and pulled him closer, "When I need your advice I'll ask for it."

 

"Y'all grow the hell up and quit acting like two overgrown Harlan County hicks."

 

Gary straightened his clothes and hair and disappeared up the stairs leaving Raylan alone with Winona.

 

Her eyes were heavy and red like she'd been crying and he couldn't help but think he was the cause. Even when he tried not to hurt her, he did.

 

"Never thought I'd see the day Raylan Givens lost his cool for another woman besides me."

 

Raylan raked his hands through his hair. Love still existed in the relationship he shared with his ex - wife. She was his friend before she ever became his lover and he should have known that she could read him like a book.  He reached for her, attempting to hold on to what he could understand but he didn't know why he couldn't shake what remained for the lady marshal.

 

He closed his eyes and inhaled, taking in the medley of vanilla and coconut. His mind immediately went to the woman behind the door.

 

"Raylan..."

 

He put his thoughts on pause.

 

"Yeah..."

 

He tightened his arms around her waist. He felt her body tremble.

 

"What's wrong Winona?"

 

He held her face in his hands and did his best to comfort her in spite of his acceptance of his future decision.

 

"Raylan I'm pregnant."

 

Nothing could ever be simple.

 

"Shit."