Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Chapter 3


10 months earlier


Several weeks after his release, Caleb found himself still trying to adjust to being back at home in his own bed. Months of sleeping on something that wasn’t bigger than the bunk bed he used to have as a kid, did a number on his back.


So today, like yesterday, he found himself sleeping in later than usual; enjoying all of the comforts of home. It was a blessing to have this quiet time to himself, he thought. Being surrounded by other men with little privacy and the constant noise of the cell block gnawed at him each day he was in jail. He really didn’t miss that. The noise. Give him, crickets at night and chirping birds in the morning. He didn’t even mind an occasional rooster at sun-up. To him that was the best noise, that other stuff was maddening.


His future plans were still somewhat in the in air, but after being out of jail for the past few weeks, it was safe to say that revisiting his old life was not an option. That part of his life was over. He had to take advantage of being sober and out of jail. That constant chaos wasn’t life, that was death and he was never going back there.


Caleb adjusted his sheets on the bed and couldn’t decide if he was getting up now or sleeping in again. The sun had just cracked the sky and morning air was still crisp and clean. Caleb remained in bed staring up at the ceiling not sure what the day would bring.


He knew that he had to get busy doing something today, he had done nothing but lounge around for the past few weeks. But Caleb still wasn’t sure if wanted to go back to building log homes with Pop full time, concentrate on his organic farming, like he had planned to do all those years ago or focus on gift.


His gift. That was what everyone else called it. To him it was just simple woodworking. He made furniture or just about anything from wood. He didn’t learn it school, no one ever taught him. It just came to him as child and he would create pieces, whenever the mood struck. He never sketched anything. He would just conjure up something in his head, grab his tools and start working. His father always told him that his talent was much more than some fluke. It was his genius; that he should use to guide his life.


His life. Caleb rubbed his hands over his face and thought about what he wanted out of life. For Caleb it wasn’t that complicated. He wanted a quiet simple life. A life where Pop’s two worthless sons didn’t cause him so much stress and leave him short-handed on jobs or too old and stiff to complete a client’s home. One where his wife and children needed him there with them more than anything else and he in turn needed them just as much right back. A life where he got up every morning with purpose, and went to bed on a promise of building a better tomorrow for those he loved.


The knock on the door jarred him from his thoughts.


“Come in.”


“You still in bed boy…” Ernest eyed him with caution. Caleb had vowed to stay away from drugs, but as a father he couldn’t help but keep an eye out for the signs of a relapse.


“Yes, sir.” Caleb sat up a tossed the covers off his body. “I guess my back can’t get enough of my bed.”


“I understand. Well I’ll let you rest some more then.”


“No, wait. Did you want something?”


“No, not really. I just wanted to know if you had plans for today.” Pop was hoping that Caleb was ready to go back to work; he missed having him working at his side on the jobs.


“I have a meeting with Pastor Haynes at 3 o’clock about the church’s pantry, but that’s it.”


“Well I wasn’t sure if you wanted to sleep in, but if you’re up to it, I could certainly use your help on some projects we have going on.”


“Umm….Yeah, sure. I was just about to get up and find you. Is the site you’re working on local?”


“No. You don’t have to go out just if you don’t want to. If you just want to hang around here, we have another log cabin that just got started and the left field needs to be cut down. I just thought that you may be bored by now… so take your time….”


“No, No… that’s fine, I actually don’t mind jumping back into things....it’s…I still need to get my license back.” Caleb murmured, embarrassed that he had to remind his father of yet another episode in his former life.


It was suspended after his last DUI and then he was sent to jail, so there was no real reason to make sure that he had it. “So I can’t run back and forth between sites, until I make sure it has been reinstated...”


“Well, why don’t we take care of that this morning and go from there.”


“Thanks Pop” Caleb got up and grabbed a clean shirt out of a draw and a pair of jeans off of the floor, “In rehab, I learned that it is best to develop a daily routine that you can stick with. So there is no time like the present, to start right?”


Ernest nodded his head in agreement and was happy to see his youngest looking much better than he had the night he had been arrested for aggravated assault. He hoped that this time, Caleb would stick with being drug free.


“Where’s Reed working today?”


“Reed? How the hell should I know? You left with him yesterday. Did he even come home last night?” Ernest asked, surprised by Caleb’s question.


“I don’t know?” Caleb then remembered that Reed never came inside the house, last night. He only dropped him off at home and left. Reed wanted to go out drinking with him, even though Caleb had yet to take him up on any of his offers these past few weeks.


-------------------------------------------------


Caleb replayed the conversation that they had in truck right before Reed dropped him off.


“So you are really gonna try to do the virgin thing man?” Reed teased, pulling a fresh joint out of his pocket and offering it to Caleb.


Caleb shot a disbelieving look to his brother, as if to ask ‘are you insane?’ Reed merely shrugged off Caleb’s reaction and made sure that his smoke was rolled the way he liked it.


“I’m done man; I’ve abused this body enough.” Caleb waved it away and hoped that Reed didn’t plan on smoking that right now.


“I see… well let’s go get a beer at least.” Reed suggested, lighting the joint.


Shit, Caleb cursed inwardly. He couldn’t believe that Reed actual lit the smoke with him sitting right there. This was why he didn’t want to ride with Reed in the first place, he knew this could happen. He needed to check in with Tate, as a condition of his release and Pop was working a few miles away, so Reed offered to take him.


“No, I can’t no alcohol, either remember?” Caleb bit out. Reed was testing his patience.


Reed nearly choked on his puff. “Are you fucking serious?”


“I am very serious.” Caleb stuck his head out of the window; he didn’t want to get high from Reed’s contact smoke.


“If this is about a piss test, I can get you some clean stuff. No worries.” Reed offered exhaling his kush into the truck. Never again Caleb promised himself.


“No, this isn’t about that. It’s about me. I’m living clean from here on out. No drugs, no alcohol and maybe one day no sugar.” Shit. This was pissing him off. Reed knew that he couldn’t be around this stuff and it bothered Caleb that his brother didn’t care about that. “I want to live the rest of my life this way, sober and in control.”


“Well I guess one of us should.” Reed mumbled as he watched Caleb from the corner of his eye.


------------------------------------------------


“Does he do that often?” Caleb blurted out causing Pop looked at him in confusion. “I mean leave you to work on sites alone?” Caleb clarified.


“You know your brother better that I do.” Pop didn’t have to elaborate any further; Caleb knew what he was alluding to. “Do you really need me to answer that?”


“Reed, will show up to work, long enough to make money for his next fix.” Pop stated matter of factly. “I’m just about done with him.”


Caleb looked up at his father with sad eyes. Pop was tired too. It was in his eyes and etched on his face. His boys had caused him to age significantly before it was time. Looking at his father now was like a punch in the gut and it made him feel guiltier for everything that he did in the past.


Ernest must have sensed Caleb’s guilt; he reached out and put his arms on his son’s shoulders a small gesture of affection. No matter what he still loved his boys. “I hope that I don’t have that same problem out of you.”


Looking straight into his father’s eyes, Caleb declared, “No Pop, I swear I’m clean and want to stay that way.”


“I’ve heard that before.” Pop replied somberly, with his eyes still fixed on Caleb’s.


“I mean it this time dad. I don’t want that life any more. No more bull shittin’ around.”


“Good. Well go get breakfast and meet me outside in 30 minutes.”


-------------------------------------


Ernest left Caleb to get dressed and closed the door behind him. Standing in the hallway he exhaled the breath that he had been holding. Caleb had called him dad. He was serious. He was always Pop to his boys; whenever they called him dad, Ernest knew that he still had them. His Caleb was still in there somewhere. He thanked the heavens for giving him one of his sons back and prayed that Reed would not lost to him for much longer.


--------------------------------------


Caleb grabbed his t-shirt and pulled it over his head. Heading to the bathroom he stopped and looked at the picture that was on his dresser. It was the last picture that he had taken with his mother. It was a picture of him holding a bass and Maryann giving a thumbs up. It was the first one he’d caught all by himself, and she was so proud of him that she insisted that his fish was the only one that would be served for dinner. He smiled as he remembered that day, but it also made him sad. Was his mother’s life so terrible, that she couldn’t share her unhappiness with anyone? Her only resort was to kill herself?


Choosing not to dwell on that question today, Caleb gathered his clothes for the day but stopped to stare at his reflection in the mirror. He had gained back some weight and he also needed a haircut. His skin tone was now taking on its natural summer tan look as opposed to the pasty milky hue that he’d been sporting for months. He was getting healthier both physically and mentally and he wanted to keep it that way. This meant that he would have to confront Reed about his drug habit for the sake of his own sanity and their family.


*****************


Maya sat on the black micro suede sofa with her feet curled under a chenille throw, crossing off all the items that she had already taken care of on her wedding day to do list. She still couldn’t believe that in two short months, she would be Mrs. Jensen Perdue. She picked up the engagement pictures and started shuffling through them and started grinning like a silly school girl. She was that happy. Jensen made her that happy.


The couple met one evening at the country club where she worked. One of his buddies was hosing his wedding there. They met over a spilled drink and hit it off instantly. Both surprised to learn that they lived so close to each other. He was a primary care physician at South Georgia Regional Hospital and that was less than 20 miles from her home.


Maya had never really dated anyone before Jensen. A dinner here, coffee there but never was it anything special. But she knew that things with Jensen would be different, she felt it. And that was part of her hesitation in dating him at first. But Jensen was rather persistent, telling Maya that he was not going to stop asking her out, until she said yes. She did eventually and was glad that she agreed to go out with him. He was not what she was expecting of a blue blood of the southern country club tradition and that’s what endeared him to her all the more.


Jensen wore graphic tees and jeans, when he was working at the hospital, cereal and mac and cheese were his favorite food. He could recall every single Simpson’s episode and he loved music, all music period. He was probably the only doctor she’d met who would call in sick to attend a concert in Atlanta. He was funny and sweet and she enjoyed his company. The only time she felt nervous about dating him surfaced when it was time to meet his family.


The Perdue’s were an old Georgia family of doctors, lawyers and politicians and they couldn’t have been prouder of their Emory medical school graduate. When Jensen took Maya home to meet the family Perdue, they were greeted with mixed reactions but that didn’t deter Jensen. He loved her. That’s why there was no hesitation on his part when he felt it was time to pop the question. He knew that she was the best woman for him to spend the rest of his life with.


Maya on the other hand was surprised by his proposal. They had been dating for well over a year and talked about marriage in abstract but it was always something that she thought would happen eventually. Maya didn’t think that the timing was right. She still had so much to do before considering marriage. She needed to finish school, she had just lost gran and then there was her job situation at the country club and other plans.


She needed to find a more permanent work situation, because her internship at the country club was up. Maya was happy to go in and act as hostess, tour guide, and server, whatever was needed. She saw it as moving one step closer to realizing her dream of owning her own string of southern chic bed and breakfast inns. She believed that there was nothing sweeter than a heaping spoonful of southern charm and quaintness. And who knows maybe she would even move onto owning boutique hotels. The management team at the country club was so impressed with her professionalism and friendly demeanor with the patrons, that after her internship, they often called her in to work on holidays, private functions and some weekends; but she needed more than that once she began her life as Jensen’s wife.


She asked Jensen to delay their nuptials for another year. He refused, telling her that the timing couldn’t be better. His only regret was that they didn’t plan to do it sooner, so that gran was with them on their special day.


Maya smiled when he said those words. Jensen was thoughtful that way.


-----------------------------


Later that day Nina, Maya’s bestie came by to help with wedding plans. Nina was more than her best friend; she was the only real friend she had. Maya had always been too busy with other obligations to really take the time to meet new people and make friends; plus she was rather shy too. But Nina Malloy wasn’t having any of that. They met at the country club where Nina worked as a bartender. Nina considered her ‘remixed’. Her father was black and her mother was Puerto Rican. Nina considered herself a sistah with Latin swag. She was tall with a café-au-lait complexion and chestnut hair. She had an amazing smile and beautiful light brown eyes. She was a real fire cracker and proved to be a true friend to Maya; and she had come to rely on her more than she did Jasmine.


“Hola chica, I’m here, so let the final wedding preparation meeting commence. We are only what 8 weeks out?” Nina yelled waving a bottle of sparkling rose’ in the air.


Nina hugged her friend tightly and kissed both of her cheeks and gave her the grocery bags. Which were stuffed with ice cream, cookies, cakes and wine; everything that the girls would need to spend the rest of the day wrapped up in wedding plans.


“So we have a lot of ground to cover, head pieces, hair styles, shoes, make-up artist.” Nina called off from her list that she yanked out of her handbag.


“Wow, none of those things were on my list.” Maya laughed.


“Well, the maid of honor should remind you of all those things.” Nina gave the room a quick glance and noticed that they were a duo instead of a trio.


“So where is princess Jasmine?” Nina asked sarcastically, it was her nickname for her friend’s bitchy little sister.


“She had a commitment that she couldn’t break.” Maya repeated her sister’s response to Nina. She asked her about Jasmine whereabouts during an earlier call to her cell phone and that was her reply.


“Wait, you’ve got to be kidding me.” Nina screeched,


“That bitch is lucky that she’s your sister. I swear sometimes I want to cut that heffa with my blade.”


Maya laughed at her friend, “You sound just like Jensen.”


“I knew I liked that guy for a reason, is he on call?” Nina asked, grabbing plates for the meal.


“No. His bachelor party is this weekend, in Atlanta.” Maya rushed out, making sure that their dinner of grilled salmon steaks, confetti rice, corn salsa and summer vegetable pasta salad was still warm.


“Nice.”


“He went to school there and most of his buddies are still there so…he told me that we should have fun tonight and don’t think about you know who.”


“He’s right.”


Nina filled the glasses with the sparkling wine and sat down. She was in awe of the feast before her. Her friend was amazing in every aspect. Maya was truly a good person. She deserved every good thing that happening in her life. Nina watched as she packed up the third place setting that was placed on the table for Jasmine and it made her slightly irritated.


“Maya you’re such a sweet heart. I would be so done with that girl. But not you, why?” Maya sat down at the table and fixed a plate, but didn’t answer Nina’s question. She didn’t think that Nina could fully understand her relationship with her sister, because she was an only child.


Nina was still perplexed by Jasmine’s blow off of their planning meeting. “We planned this dinner weeks ago…what couldn’t wait until she was finished helping her sister plan her wedding?”


Maya looked to her friend, shrugged and smiled, “Your guess is as good as mine.”


Maya insisted that Nina fill up her plate and pour more wine, they would have their own party. The pair ate and chatted about the wedding, the new guy Nina was seeing and her classes at cosmetology school. Maya loved spending time with Nina. Their friendship was easy. She didn’t have to walk on egg shells or hold her tongue, like she normally did around Jasmine. This was the type of female bonding that she always wished that her sister friendship would grow into with Jazz. Maybe someday it would be just like this for them, Maya hoped.


********************************