Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Matheson and VAl attend a bridal show.  Mavis gets an unexpected surprise from her past!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Don't Mess with Emily

Emily looked over the guest list she was writing. It was already up to one hundred and fifty people and she hadn't even added any of Gregory's associates or their friends to the list.

She was scheduled to attend a bridal show with Matheson and Val that day and she was excited. She was happy that Val wanted her advice. This was going to be almost as much fun as being the bride! The house was quiet as Gregory was at work and her inlaws had returned to Florida.

She checked her watch and realized that it was getting near the time to pick up Mavis. It was Saturday and Matheson was at the bakery. Val was off from her job and she assured her that picking up Mavis and meeting them at the hotel would not be a problem. She quickly put the list in her pocketbook and left the house and headed to Mavis' apartment.

The drive didn't take her as long as she expected as there was little traffic on the road which pleased her. She pulled up in front of Mavis' apartment complex and quickly went up and knocked on the door. Mavis opened the door and smiled. She had a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Miss Emily! You're early" Mavis observed leading her into the living room. She then went into the kitchen and got another cup and handed it to Emily who took it and gave it a quick sip.

"Bah, I'm not that early" Emily protested jumping up and almost spilling the coffee. She quickly sat the cup down and began to pace back and forth unable to contain her excitement. "I know you're just as excited about Val and Matheson as I am. I haven't been to a bridal show in years! I didn't think I'd have the experience since I don't have a daughter, but this is truly a blessing! You remember all the planning you helped me with when I married Gregory! It's like that all over again!"

She clapped her hands together and sat back down and picked up her cup and began to sip the coffee again. Mavis was dressed in a plaid skirt and white blouse. She was unmoved by Emily's outburst as she was used to her ways. Suddenly Emily looked worried. She reached over and touched Mavis.

"Are you sure you can handle being at the show?" she asked eying Mavis like an overprotective mother. "There will be a lot of people there and I don't want you to overexert yourself!"

"I'll be fine!" Mavis replied rolling her eyes. Emily could change moods in a blink of an eye. "I'm sure that they will have some chairs around. It's at the Omni. I'll look for one if I get tired. Stop worrying!"

Emily jumped up again when she saw Mavis get her jacket and began to help her put it on. "Matheson and Val should already be there when we arrive." Emily replied searching her purse for her keys.

"Remember I told you that Mr. William came to see me not too long ago" Mavis said as they walked out the door. "He's not to happy about this marriage."

"So you told me!" Emily snapped none too pleased. "I am going to keep an eye on him. He's most definitely up to something. He's not going to ruin this for my Matheson! I won't have it!"

The got in the car and pulled off. Mavis knew Emily well enough to know that Mr. William had better watch his back. Nobody messed with Emily Matheson Hendricks and got away with it.


Val walked up to the registration table and signed in. The perky brunette quickly gave her a sticker to put on saying "Bride" and one for Matheson that said "Groom".

"Congratulations!" the brunette said grinning after watching them put on their stickers.

"Thank you" Matheson replied putting his arm around Val. He quickly looked around and then checked his cell phone.

"Mom's going to call me on her cell when she and Mavis arrives" Matheson said looking around at the crowd of people that were entering the hotel. "There seems to be a lot of vendors here."

"I know" Val replied following his gaze. The place was crowded but not overly so. People were milling around the many vendors that were displaying their wares. Matheson's phone went off and he quickly answered it.

"They're here" Matheson replied walking back to the hotel entrance pulling her along with him. He spotted his mother and waved to get her attention. She was holding Mavis arm protectively and was looking around at the crowd with a worried expression on her face. She smiled when she spotted Matheson and Val.

"I think this is great!" Emily said clapping her hands together as they walked up to her. She quickly turned to Mavis. "Let me know as soon as you feel too tired"

Mavis rolled her eyes. "I'm fine" She turned to Val. "So what do we do first?"

"Let's walk around to the different vendors and we can taste their samples." Val replied. They have everything a bride could want here."

"I am sure" Mavis replied dryly "I bet the prices are outrageous!"

"Money is no object when it comes to my Matheson" Emily replied patting her on the arm. "Don't you worry about that."

"I'm not worried" Mavis replied. "I have some money. I won't have you paying for everything, Ms. Emily"

Emily patted her on the arm and looked at Matheson. "We'll work that out later. Let's just have some fun."

There were several caterers there and they sampled all they had to offer. There were meatballs and crab dip and spinach dip. Matheson and Val talked to a DJ while Emily looked at invitations. She kept an eye on Mavis who was talking to one of the representatives from a limo company.

"There's so much for them to think about" Mavis said walking back over to Emily. "How in the world will the keep it all straight?"

"They need a wedding planner" Emily replied. "In fact, there's a booth over there with one and we'll have to tell the kids about it."

They walked over to Matheson and Val who were now talking to a woman that made wedding cakes. Val was getting information from each booth that they were interested in and putting the information in a pink canvas bag that had been provided to them by the hotel.

"Come on, Grandma" she said looking around. "We need to go and get seated. The fashion show will start in thirty minutes.

Mavis was glad that they were going to sit down. She had tasted enough wedding cakes and reception food and was ready to take a break. The suite where the fashion show was being held was filling up fast, but the got great seats on the second row.

Matheson watched trying not to let his mind wander as bridal gown after bridal gown was being modeled. Then came the brides maids dresses and the mother's dresses. Enough already! A few grooms came out in tuxedo's which perked up his interest a bit, but all in all he found it quite boring. Still as a groom he knew he had to endure all this.

He glanced over at Val who was watching the show intensely and writing everything down. He could see the imprint of her nipples through the cotton shirt she was wearing with her jeans and he felt the familar stirring in his belly. Down boy, he thought to himself and tried to concentrate on the show.

The last few weeks had been quite hectic for him. Dealing with his grandparents had not been an easy task. Sure his Grandmother was a sweetheart, but Gramps had made it clear that he didn't approve of his choice in a bride and Matheson knew that he would do whatever he could to throw a wrench in his plans, but that was not going to happen!

What he wanted to do right now was to take his bride to be out of this hotel...or maybe get a room here and have his way with her. It had been a couple of weeks since they had been intimate and he was beginning to feel the neglect. He glanced over at his mother who was talking to Mavis and pointing to the models. Women loved this kind of thing. He just didn't see the excitement about all this. Still he would do anything to make Val happy and Val was happy. Maybe she would show him some gratitude a little later.

Finally, the show was over and Matheson tried not to let out a sigh of relief.

"We should go and get something to eat!" Emily said clapping her hands together. She quickly looked at Mavis. "Unless you are too tired, dear."

"I'm fine" Mavis replied smiling. "Let's go to Panera Bread"

She looked at Matheson. "Unless you two have other plans."

Matheson smiled at her. He did have something else in mind...but that could wait for a little bit.

"Well we have to eat" he replied. "Panera it is."

He waited on a bench while the ladies went into the rest room. Most of the people were now beginning to leave as the bulk of the show was over. He looked up as his mother came out of the rest room first.

"Where's Val and Mavis?" he asked surprised.

"Oh, they'll be out in a minute" Emily said smiling. She was wearing her long red hair loosely around her shoulders. As always she looked to Matheson like she was up to something. She rubbed her hands together like an excited child.

"Wasn't that great?" she squealed sitting next to Matheson on the bench. She quickly linked her arm in his. "All this reminds me of my own wedding so long ago."

"Feeling a little nostalgic, huh Ma?" he teased.

"Well I know you don't think much of all this." Emily replied wisely. "Men aren't into all the wedding planning stuff. All they want to do is tear the wedding dress off the bride and give her all they got to give!"

Matheson chuckled. "Oh really?"

Emily layed her head on his shoulder. "You don't fool me, boy. I saw you staring at Val's chest. The only thing on your mind was the wedding night, not all this stuff."

Matheson hugged her back. "You're a mess, Ma."

"I'm so happy, Matheson." she confessed kissing him on the cheek. "I just wish I could have had more like you."

Matheson chuckled again. "It is what it is, Ma."

"What do you want for a wedding present?" she asked sitting back up and releasing his arm.

Matheson stared at her a moment. "What I want will cost you too much, so I'm not going to ask for it."

"That's ridiculous!" Emily snapped. "Ask me. If I can do it, I will."

"I don't know..." Matheson replied slowly.

Emly jumped up from the bench. "Matheson Gregory Hendricks! Answer me! What is it!"

She put her hands on her hips.

"I want you to forgive Aunt Hannah. I want us to be a real family." Matheson replied his eyes sad. "I want you to know that you're my mother and I love you and my love for Aunt Hannah is not a threat to that."

For a moment Emily stared at him. "You're trying to trick me."

"No Ma." he replied sincerely. "You asked me what I wanted, demanded to know in fact and I'm being as honest as I can. That's all I want from you. It will make me happy and it will make Dad happy too."

Emily stared at him and didn't say anything for a moment. She reached over and rubbed his face. He stared at her, his eyes glassy and she knew he meant just what he said.

"You know, you remind me of her in a way." she confessed finally.

"Really?" Matheson replied surprised.

"Yeah." Emily snapped. "It irks the hell out of me to admit it, but it's true. Some of your facial expressions, your eyes...I see her in you all the time! I just never wanted to admit such a thing." She sat back down beside him.

Matheson reached over and kissed her on the cheek. "Then look at her and see me"

Emily smiled at him. "I do. That irks the hell out of me even more!"

The meal at Panera bread was just the thing they needed to finish off the afternoon. Emily called Gregory on her cell and had him meet them there. Matheson was surpised that he arrived there so quickly.

"Your mother called me as soon as the bridal show was over" Greogry replied. "This way she gets out of cooking dinner."

"Bah, you like Panera anyway" Emily said wrinkling her nose at him as she ate the potato soup and a sandwich. "So what's your plans for the rest of the evening?" She turned to Matheson and Val.

"We really don't have any." Val replied. "I want to look over some of the things I picked up at the show."

"Miss Emily can take me home, Val" Mavis replied. She was beginning to feel a little tired.

"Of course I can" Emily said. "You two go on and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Suddenly Mavis looked up and caught her breath. Emily watched Mavis as the spoon she was eating her soup with clattered to the floor. Mavis looked as if she had seen a ghost and all eyes were on her. Suddenly she began to tremble.

"Grandma, what's wrong?" Val asked reaching across the table.

"It's him!" Mavis whispered, her voice shaky. "I mean...it looks just like him!"

"Like who?" Emily replied looking around quickly trying to figure out what she was talking about. She looked at Mavis who was beginning to shake even more.

"What is it?" Emily said putting her arm around her protectively. Her gaze followed Mavis' who was watching a tall man whose hair was completely white. He had narrow grey eyes and was well dressed in a business suit. He looked to be in his late sixties.

"Do you know that man?" Gregory asked following Mavis' gaze.

"I...I" Mavis stammered unable to tear her eyes away from the man who sat unknowingly with his family.

"He looks just like my father." She turned to Emily. "You don't know him Ms. Emily. He used to come and stay with your folks when my mother was alive. I told you about him."

Emily stared at the man a moment and before anyone could say anything further she jumped up from the table and walked over to the man. Mavis was horrified. "Miss Emily, No!" Mavis gasped, but Emily ignored her.

"Excuse me" Emily said walking over to the man and extending her hand. "I'm Emily Matheson Hendricks.

The man looked up at her surprised. He was sitting with a woman and several young children. He stared at Emily's outstretched hand.

"Langston Oxford, III" the man replied smiling taking her hand in his. He turned back to the table. "This is my daughter Rowena and my two grandsons, Miles and Chauncey. The two young boys stared at Emily curiously. "What can I do for you Ms. Hendricks."

"Well, it seems that my mother" she pointed to Mavis "recognized you and couldn't place you. I just thought I'd come over and find out for myself."

Langston stared at Mavis and then back at Emily. "Your mother you say?"

"Yes...my adopted mother. But she's the only mother I know. My biological mother died when I was just a baby."

He looked from Mavis to Emily not knowing exactly what to make of all this. He wondered for a moment if someone was playing a prank. The older black woman looked terrified and this redhead that stood before him looked sort of wild to him.

"I don't think I know your mother." he said finally.

"Was your father also named Langston Oxford?" she asked.

"Of course" he replied.

"Did he have a business venture with a family named Matheson? Perhaps you may have heard of my family." Emily said glancing over to Mavis.

Langston stared at her a moment and then broke out in a smile. "Of course! Now I remember." he replied. My father would spend a week during the Christmas holiday's every few years with a family named Matheson. My mother had passed and we would stay with her sister during Christmas. Papa hated Christmas without our mother so he worked a lot of times. Yes, now I remember. So you're that family?"

"Yes. " Emily replied. "I don't remember your father. All that happened before I was born, I think. I do remember Papa  and my grandfather talking about him when I was small. They were in business together it seems."

"Well it's a small world" Langston replied grinning.

Emily looked up and saw Gregory walking towards her.

"Emily we need to go. Mavis is tired" Gregory replied. He nodded at Langston. "Hello. I hope my wife isn't disturbing you."

"Not at all" Langston replied. "It seems that her family and mines are old friends."

"Just a minute." Emily said walking over to Mavis. Langston watched curiously as she walked back over to their table.

"Mavis it's not your father, it's his son." Emily said. "I think you should meet him."

"I can't " Mavis replied shaking. "He looks just like him."

"He's your brother, Mavis" Emily replied.

"He doesn't know that!" Mavis insisted. "It's best to just leave the past in the past!"

"Nonsense!" Emily protested. "The best way to heal is to get it all out in the open."

"Ma, please" Matheson interjected standing up from the table. "Mavis is upset. We should just go."

Emily looked at Val. "We need to get this straight don't you think?"

Val looked at Mavis and then back at Emily. Everything was happening so fast. "I don't want my grandmother to be upset. Obviously this man upsets her. We should just go."

Just then Langston Oxford walked over to their table.

"Is everything alright?" he asked curiously. He extended his hand to Mavis. "Hi, I'm Langston Oxford. You knew my father, right?"

Mavis stood up and wouldn't look him in the face. She hung her head. "I've got to go."

"Are you alright?" Langston asked watching her as she trembled.

"I'm fine" Mavis muttered.

Emily turned to Langston. "She's not fine. She saw you and you reminded her of your father."

Langston looked at Mavis and smiled. "You knew my father? Everybody says I look just like him!"

Mavis didn't reply and Emily looked in horror as tears began to run down her face as she began to cry.

'Mavis don't cry. I can't stand to see you upset." She turned to Langston. "We've got to go."

"I don't understand." Langston said backing up as Matheson and Val came around the table to Mavis. "Is she alright?"

"No she's not alright" Emily replied. "You look just like your father and it has upset her."

The confusion on Langston's face was obvious. "You look just like her father" Emily whispered as she picked up her purse to follow the rest who had already headed for the door. "Just think about what I just said."

She then quickly walked towards the exit leaving a dumbfounded Langston Oxford standing in the middle of the floor.

Langston Oxford, III