Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Matheson confronts his grandfather!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A Taste of Insanity and Obsession

 

 

Matheson had always considered himself to be a reasonable man.  He felt that he had always tried to be fair and considerate of others.  He’d tried to be a good son and an outstanding member of the business community. He had poured his life into Hannah’s in order for it to become a success, even at the expense of his own health.  His efforts reminded him of what his mother had once told him, that she had poured all she could into Hannah’s because she had been obsessed with his father.  He now understood obsession.

 

 

Matheson had always wondered if he had inherited any of his mother’s traits. It didn’t upset him now to realize that he was a lot like his mother.  His father and grandfather had often told him that he was a Hendricks through and through.  He looked like the Hendricks, he sounded like them and he was told that he only had a hint of his mother in him, and that was in his eyes.  He realized now something that he hadn’t thought about before.  He was also a Matheson.  His mother had named him Matheson to preserve her family name, and he laughed to himself at the irony of it all.  He looked like the Hendricks on the outside, but inside his head he was all Matheson and the Matheson’s were a crazy and obsessive family.

 

He was a history buff, and he had learned a lot by researching his family tree over the last few years, and also by talking to his mother’s older cousins. Recently he had even talked to  Mavis’ brother after he had learned of his connection to the family.  He learned from his sources that the Matheson’s did whatever they had to do when it came to love.  They loved obsessively and when they became fixated on something, Lord help anyone who got in their way.

He and Uncle Buddy had talked and he had learned even more about Val’s family.  He stored the information away for future use.  He took Buddy to the Omni and put him up in the best suite that they had available.  He told Buddy that he really didn’t have any food in his apartment and that he felt that he would be more comfortable at the Omni.

 

Buddy had reluctantly agreed after they had argued back and forth about who would pay for it.  Matheson had finally won the argument and Buddy had agreed to stay for two nights. Matheson had decided not to put him up at his place, because he had a plan.

 

He had then returned to the hospital after talking to Val on the phone, after finding out that she was still with Tameka. He was surprised that Val had forgiven Tameka so quickly even though she had played a role in the mess that had occurred.   He understood Val’s reasons for forgiving her cousin and didn’t debate with her on it.  If she was fine with it, so was he.  Matheson had walked into Tameka’s room unsure of what to expect.  He had found Tameka sitting up in the bed and Val was holding her hand.  He realized that she had lost at least thirty pounds and was a shell of the woman who had sprawled herself across his car and demanded that he take her picture with her phone.  That day seemed so long ago, another Tameka , another lifetime.  He realized that she had paid heavily for her betrayal.

 

He had talked to her and she had answered all of his questions and provided all the details she knew about her rape and abduction.  He couldn’t believe that his grandfather would go to such lengths to keep her quiet.  Matheson had made up in his mind that he would handle William Hendricks and he would do it his way.

 

He decided to call his grandfather on the phone, careful to keep his tone light and his voice casual and asked him if he would meet him at his apartment so that they could talk before he made this important decision to marry.  He had lied and told Gramps that he had been thinking about what he had said to him earlier and told him that he was still distraught about the pictures he had mysteriously received in the mail. His grandfather had readily agreed to come over and console him.  After that, he had called his mother, instinctly knowing that she would understand what he was about to do.  He quickly explained to her all that his grandfather had done and told her that he would handle it.  Emily had started to protest, but he told her that this was “Matheson” business not “Hendricks” business and she hadn’t argued with him.

 

“You understand that I have to handle this my way, don’t you Ma?” he asked quietly.

 

“You sound like my Papa” his mother had murmured, referring to her grandfather Emitt.

 

“Yeah, and I have to handle this like a Matheson.”  Matheson had responded, hanging up the phone.

 

 Matheson smiled to himself and looked at his watch.  It was half past three in the afternoon.  The dinner his mother was hosting was at eight.  He had all the time he needed.

 

((***))

 William Hendricks was surprised when Matheson called and asked him to meet him at his apartment to discuss his marriage.  Perhaps the boy was getting cold feet!  He was glad that he was getting something for the money he had shelled out!

 

William checked himself in the mirror, and told his wife Jessica that he would be back shortly.  Gregory was at his office and he noticed Emily watching him from the foyer as he was about to leave.  He was surprised when she didn’t ask him where he was going, but didn’t think twice about it and walked out the door.  He left when the cab pulled up to the door and gave them Matheson’s address.

The ride was about thirty minutes and he wondered if the pictures alone caused Matheson to have second thoughts.  Maybe the boy was coming to his senses and wanted his grandfather’s advice on how to let the girl down easily.  He smiled to himself.

 

He knocked on the door and Matheson opened it immediately.

 

“Come in Gramps”  Matheson said pointing to the sofa.  William Hendricks looked at his grandson and then walked over to the sofa and sat down.

 

“I was glad when you called me, Matheson” he said as he watched Matheson lock the door.  The room was dim and William wondered why the curtains were shut.  Matheson stood before him.

 

“I don’t think you’ll be so happy once you know why I asked you here, Gramps.”  Matheson replied, his voice like ice.

 

Gramps looked at him surprised. “What do you mean?”

 

He watched as Matheson picked up a knife from a nearby table.  It was a hunting knife, and it glistened in the small amount of light that came through the crack in the curtains. He was puzzled because he didn’t know that Matheson hunted, and wondered what he was going to do with it.  He watched as his grandson twirled the knife in his hands and was watching him with steely blue eyes, which was making him uneasy.

 

“You know Gramps”  Matheson said calmly walking over to him.  “You always prided yourself in telling me that I was a Hendricks through and through.”

Gramps looked up at him as Matheson continued to finger the knife.

 

“You are, my boy” Gramps remarked nervously, wondering what was going on and why he was playing with that very large and sharp looking knife.

 

Matheson chuckled.  “Oh really?  Do you think that I have any of my mother’s traits?”

 

Gramps watched him as he ran his finger along the sharp edge of the blade, never taking his eyes off his him.  Matheson was making him nervous and he wished that he would tell him what this was all about.

 

“What are you doing with that knife, Matheson?  Put it down!  You’re making me nervous!”  Gramps said with more bravado than he felt. “I thought you asked me over here for advice on ending this wedding with that colored girl!”

 

Before he knew what was happening, Matheson quickly pinned him back on the sofa and put the tip of the blade to his throat. Gramps looked up at his grandson, clearly shocked.  His grandson’s eyes were hard and he pushed the tip of the knife against his neck.

 

“You, old man are going to listen to what I have to say.”  Matheson growled angrily. He pushed the knife a little more and Gramps gasped at the pain.  “If you move, I’ll slit your throat.”  Matheson hissed.

 

Gramps was frozen on the spot, the knife pressing into his flesh.  Matheson looked at him with such hatred that his breath was taken away. 

 

“Why are you doing this?  Are you crazy?”  Gramps gasped, as fear took control of him. 

 

“Shut up!”  Matheson growled and Gramps could do nothing but comply. 

 

“Now as I was saying” Matheson calmly continued, releasing his grip on his grandfather.  Gramps began to cough, causing Matheson to pause.  Gramps looked up as Matheson still held the knife inches from him, and he wondered if there was any way he could escape. He looked around the room trying to think clearly.

“Don’t

even think about it.”  Matheson replied coldly, reading his thoughts.

 

“Why are you doing this, son?”  Gramps replied, trying to reason with him.  “What do you want from me?  Maybe we can talk this thing out…”  His voice trailed off as it appeared that Matheson was getting angrier with every word he spoke. He watched as Matheson fingered the knife, his eyes never leaving Gramps’ face.

 

“You will listen to me.  You say that I look like a Hendricks, but do you realize that I am also a Matheson?  I have the Matheson name and I have some of their family traits also.” Matheson replied calmly.   He fingered the knife some more and chuckled.  “You realize Gramps,  that everyone knows that my mother is a little off and maybe, just maybe I’ve inherited some of her tendencies.”

 

Gramps laughed nervously.  “Don’t say that! You’re not like her. I love Emily to death-“

 

“Sure you do.”  Matheson interrupted sarcastically.  “You loved that Matheson money she brought in.  You sold your son to her, didn’t you?”


“Now wait just a minute!”  Gramps snapped offended. He was about to stand before Matheson quickly put the knife to his throat again, drawing blood as the knife nicked his adam’s apple.

 

“Sit down”  Matheson hissed angrily.

 

Gramps sat back down and stared at his grandson.  He noticed that Matheson’ eyes were wild, which reminded him of Emily. He touched his neck, realizing that Matheson had broken the skin, and was thankful that the wound was a minor one.  He wouldn’t make that mistake again.

 

“Now I’m not complaining about what you did to get your business off the ground.”  Matheson continued.  “However seeing that you have dealt with my mother for years, I would think that you would realize that she would do bodily harm to anyone that tried to take my father from her.” He glared at Gramps.  “Remember, I am my mother’s son!”

 

He twirled the knife and Gramps wondered what point he was trying to make.

 

“Now you realize of course, that I poured myself into Hannah’s.”  Matheson continued, eying Gramps while still fingering the knife. “I worked my ass off, lost sleep, energy and sacrificed my manhood.”  He pointed the knife at his grandfather.  “I did it for the family business. The family has profited from my sweat, Gramps and that includes you!  I couldn’t function like a normal twenty something male because I overworked myself! I know for a fact that you learned of my shortcomings from Iris, since you sent her back here to attempt to seduce me. All work and no play made an impotent boy, Gramps.” His eyes narrowed to slits.  “I felt like less than a man because of the sacrifices I made for Hannah’s. I did everything I had to in order to help the business flourish.  All I wanted from you was acceptance of my choice of a wife.  Dad came to accept my decision as well as Mom, but not you!”

 

Gramps cleared his throat.  “I was only trying-“

 

“I know what you were trying to do!”  Matheson snapped putting the knife to his throat and nicking him again.  “So shut up! You were trying to make the woman I love, the woman who gave the me the one thing any man would prize from a woman, her virginity,  look like a slut.  I don’t appreciate that, Gramps! So shut up, and listen for once in your miserable life!”

 

Gramps complied, not knowing what else to do. He sat back on the sofa trying to get as far away from the knife as he could.  He watched as Matheson continued to run his finger along the blade.

 

“Anyway, I met VaLysia and I discovered that she WAS the one.  She’s my soul mate.  She completes me. It bothers me that you would try to ruin that for me. She’s mine and now I’ve become a little bit obsessive about her.” He wiped the blood that was on the knife onto his pants.  “I don’t expect you to understand that, old man, because all you see is the color of her skin. But I want you to understand this:  Not you or nor anyone else is going to stop me from marrying that woman.  She’s mine! Every luscious chocolate inch of her belongs to me and only me. After all, I am my mother’s son and I will do some serious harm to anyone who tries to hurt her or keep her from me.”

 

He stared at Gramps stunned face and put the knife back to his throat. He pressed it just a bit, causing his grandfather to squeal.

 

“Please, Matheson!” he begged.

 

“You’ve caused enough heartache and trouble, old man.  I could slit your throat for what you did to Val and Tameka and not shed a tear of regret!” he growled angrily.

 

“I didn’t-“ Gramps stammered fearing for his life.

 

“Don’t lie to me!  I know what you did!”  Matheson snapped.

 

“Ma-Matheson…”  Gramps stammered, attempting to reason with his grandson. “You don’t have to marry this girl!  I mean you could still have her like you say, but find a good and decent girl to marry. You’re the last of our male line.  Surely you understand that!  I realize now that have a thing for the darker breed, but you don’t have to give her your name!”

 

“You know, if you weren’t so pathetic, I’d slit your throat right now for saying that!”  Matheson replied calmly.  He pulled up a chair close to his grandfather and sat in it.  He leaned forward into Gramps personal space and touched his nose with the knife.

 

“Val is a good and decent girl, Gramps.  All you see is black girl.  I see a woman…a woman who helped me regain what I’d lost…a woman who satisfies all of my needs and desires.  She loves me, Gramps.  I love her.  I crave her!  Do you remember what that was like, to crave a woman…to crave the smell of her, to hunger for the taste her, to almost cum when she screams your name because you’re devouring her and can’t get enough of her sweet tasting pussy?  Do you, Gramps?”

 

“Sure, Matheson” Gramps gasped as the knife nicked his throat again.

 

“Well if you truly remembered what it was like,” Matheson growled “then you’d know that not just any old pussy will do.”

 

“Ma-Matheson, you’ve never talked like this to me before!”  Gramps gasped horrified.

 

“I am after all my mother’s son.”  Matheson replied chuckling. “My mother never minced words when it came to sex if that’s what it took to get her point across. We’re two men. You remember what it was like to want a woman and only that woman, don’t you? I don’t have to be shy around you, do I Gramps?”  He took the knife and touched his Grandfather’s throat again.

 

“Of course not, Matheson” was all Gramps could say. He watched as Matheson wiped the knife on his pants again and wondered how he was going to get out of there.

 

“Well I’m taking my time to explain a few things to you, because you’re from ancient times, Jim Crow I think they called it, and you just don’t seem to get it. You think that because she’s black, that I should just ignore my feelings and marry white regardless of the fact that I’m in love with Val.”  Matheson continued.  “You have been meddling in my life and I don’t appreciate it!”  He pointed the knife.  “I’ve tried to reason with you, but you are not a reasonable man and as you say, extreme situations calls for extreme actions, right?”

He grinned at Gramps, but he narrowed his eyes causing the old man to sweat more than he had when the knife was placed to his throat. His mind raced as he wondered what Matheson wanted from him.

 

“Wha-what  are you going to do?” Gramps whispered, clearly shaken.

 

“Do?”  Matheson asked twirling the knife.  “I just wanted to have a friendly conversation with my grandfather…you know, make him understand my point of view. I wanted you to understand that when you love a woman like I love Val and someone tries to come between us, it makes me a little bit unstable …and insane.”

 

He laughed, twirling the knife.  “My behavior must be the end result of two cousins marrying. Mom can get a little crazy and as you can see, I can too.”

 

“Ok…I get it.  You’re marrying her.  Can I go now?”  Gramps pleaded.

 

“No.”  Matheson replied calmly still twirling the knife.  “We have to discuss Val’s cousin, Tameka and you providing adequate compensation for the damage you caused!”

 

“Compensation?”  Gramps replied raising his voice.  “That little whore-“

 

Matheson quickly put the knife to his grandfather’s throat again.  “That little whore, as you put it” he hissed at Gramps “will be paid.  After all, whores do get paid, don’t they, Gramps?”

 

He wiggled his eyebrows mockingly at him, and Gramps thought that he had gone mad for sure.

 

“I gave her money!”  Gramps protested feebly.

 

“Money that you took back.”  Matheson reminded him.  He grinned at Gramps shocked expression.  “Oh yes, she told me.  You see, she remembers everything.”

 

He pointed the knife at Gramps.  “Your little mind potion didn’t cause her to lose her memory after all.  All it did was cause her to become suicidal and paranoid, and for that she will be compensated.  Also, I’m holding you responsible for the rape as well as for what happened to Val.”  He eyed his Grandfather and then pressed the knife into his throat again.  “How much did you pay those men for their little job at the club?”

 

“Pay?  What are you talking about?”  Gramps cried.

 

Matheson pressed the knife harder causing him to cry out.  The nick was a little deeper this time and he watched the blood pool on the knife.  “Don’t play with me, old man!”

 

“Ten thousand apiece!”  Gramps responded. “Please, Matheson…”

 

Matheson removed the knife and watched as Gramps rubbed his neck.  “You’re crazy.”

 

“Ah, well we all have our little quirks, don’t we?”  Matheson chuckled.  “Like for instance, I learned that Emitt Matheson, Mom’s grandfather loved knives.”  He twirled the knife.  “Did you know that Gramps?”

 

Gramps shook his head negatively, watching Matheson fingering the knife.

 

“Well I did a little research on both sides of my family after a particularly revealing conversation I had with Mavis. Now the Hendricks men tend to be manipulators…but the Mathesons…they cut.  My grandfather would hit women…but he’d cut men….must be a family thing.” He chuckled again.

 

He twirled the knife some more, his eyes never leaving Gramps.

 

“So you see, Gramps you have some making up to do unless you want some more of my little friend here.  You will pay all of Tameka’s medical bills.  You will compensate her for her lost wages.  You will buy her a nice condo to live in and give her $15,000.”

 

“You’re crazy!”  Gramps snapped. “I will do no such thing!”

 

Matheson patted the knife in his palm, ignoring the outburst.

 

“I would have made it $30 thousand, but she did bring some of this upon herself.  So to be fair, I will only require half of that.”  Matheson replied coldly.

 

“I’ll tell Gregory and Emily!”  Gramps threatened.  “They’ll have you committed. You’ve gone mad for sure!”

 

Matheson laughed.  “If I’m mad, then you’ve pushed me to that point! I don’t think you’ll be telling anybody anything.  Do you want Tameka to go to the police?  Do you want Tameka to tell them how you enlisted her help to try to set Val up, resulting in her rape?  Do you want her to tell all about her kidnapping?” 

 

“It’s her word against mine!”  Gramps snapped.  “No one will believe a lying little whore.”

 

Matheson pointed the knife at him.  “I don’t appreciate you talking about my wife’s family like that, Gramps. You realize of course, that her apartment complex has video cameras.”  He laughed at the surprised look on his grandfather’s face.

 

“Oh yes.” Matheson continued.  “Your men were careful to conceal their faces when they kidnapped her, but you Gramps, were not so subtle when you came to Tameka’s to give her that money. I’m surprised that you delivered it yourself…a big mistake!”

 

“You’re lying!  That rathole she lives in doesn’t have any cameras!” Gramps snapped, trying not to panic.

 

“Sure it does.”  Matheson continued, calmly twirling the knife.  “The police set up cameras due to the drug activity there…you know to keep the riff raff out.  I’m sure that if I give them the date that you came by there...and  Gramps, Tameka does remember the date, they will be happy to investigate her story.”

 

“What do you want from me?”  Gramps replied grumbling in defeat.

 

“You will tell Val that you have decided to accept our marriage with your blessing at the dinner tonight.  You will fulfill your requirements that I have given you for compensating Tameka.  This conversation, this bonding time between the two of us is just that, between the two of us.  If I even get a hint of you telling anybody, I’m going to the police and I mean it.”

 

Gramps looked at him.  “How do you know that girl won’t say anything?”

 

“I’ve talked to Tameka.”  Matheson replied.  “I promised her that I would get you to leave her alone, that’s all she wants. The compensation is all my idea.  I’m sure she will be pleased by your generous gesture.”  He pointed the knife again.  “And you will leave her alone, won’t you Gramps?”

 

Gramps rubbed his neck where Matheson had nicked with the knife.  “Of course…whatever you say, Matheson. Can I go now?”

 

Matheson grinned and stood up and unlocked the door.  “Of course.  I expect you to wire me the money we discussed by next week. I’ll see you at dinner tonight.  Shall I call you a cab?”

 

Gramps hands shook with fear, happy that his grandson was allowing him to leave.  “No..no..I’ll take care of it” he responded, quickly exiting the apartment.

He stepped outside of the apartment still shaking and Matheson slammed the door behind him.

 

 

 

Hunting Knife