Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi chamber family. I had to work six days straight and get the kiddies ready for school. Sorry for the delay with an update. I hope you stick with me. Sorry for any edit or errors my microsoft program helps.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 4


Maddox sat at his desk wondering how he would tell Mizani they wouldn’t be going away for the weekend. He had just returned from a meeting with the senior partners of the firm. They needed Maddox to leave on a business trip later that evening. The firm would be handling a high profile case and Maddox needed to meet with the client. The partners assured him if successful he would make partner. Those were the words Maddox’s had been waiting to hear. He picked up the phone to call Mizani but it went straight to voicemail. He didn’t leave a message because he realized he needed to talk to her in person.

Mizani was reviewing samples for one of her current projects. She was trying to be productive because she would be gone for a few days. Her thoughts were broken by the buzz of a intercom. It was her assistant advising her she had a guest. Maddox gripped the flowers a little tighter than necessary before entering the office. Mizani looked up when she heard the door open. “ What a nice surprise baby and you brought my favorite flowers,” she came from around her desk to greet her boyfriend. Mizani notices Maddox seems distracted, She walks over and grabs his hand and heads to the couch.

Maddox realizes he has been too quiet and speaks. “ Listen I don’t know how to tell you so I m just going to say it. “ The partners made me an offer I can’t refuse.” They need me on this high profile case out in California.” They informed me if I win this case I will make partner.” He starts to smile and then continues. “ We could have the wedding of our dreams and you wouldn’t have to work long hours.,” our dreams will come true. Maddox stared into her eyes looking for a response. When she didn’t respond he continue informing Mizani they would have to postpone their trip and he would be leaving that evening.

Mizani was stunned because she was still on a high from this morning. She thought they had made some progress.“ Wow honey thats great and I m excited for you,” she told him while hugging him. “ You have worked really hard these past few months and its finally going to pay off,” she was smiling hope it looked genuine because inside she was dying. “ Baby you really mean it? He asked because lately Mizani wasn’t happy with the state of their relationship. “ ‘Listen I m your biggest fan and there will be other weekends,” she said while stoking his arms.

Maddox wasn’t expecting this reaction. He felt a sense of relief and suggested they spend the rest of the day together because he would be leaving later that evening. Mizani rescheduled the rest of her appointments. She made a silent promise to herself things were going to change when he returned from his trip.’ I m going to be the supportive girlfriend was the message that she kept repeating in her head.”


Mean while

Landan was making finally preparation for his meeting. He had done this countless times but not on such short notice. He checked his watch one finally time and then left. He normally worked alone but this was a special circumstance and support was needed. He reviewed the information while in-flight. He knew when a reward of six figures was offered information seemed to flow out of people.s mouths like river . Once in position he signaled to his partner to get ready to move because they didn’t have much time and it was a matter of life and death. He heard the count and everything went black.

Landan held his side. He knew his ribs were bruised but it was worth it. He leaned his head back against the leather seat of the plane. They had been successful and even recovered the reward money. Landan looked forward to getting back to the city. He looked out the plane window and it was drizzling which made him wondered what Mizani was doing. He wondered why he cared. He fall a sleep once the plane was airborne.

Mizani found herself sitting in the café after dropping Maddox off at the airport. She called her girls and they made plans to go tomorrow. She sipped her coffee thinking a night out with the girls was long over due. Mizani looked up when she heard the door chimes but it wasn’t anyone she knew. She had stopped in a few times hoping to see him but he was never there. It was almost 11:00 pm and she decided to leave figuring he wasn’t coming. Mizani crossed the street to head back to her apartment. She stop and turned back feeling as though she was being watched but no one was there. “ Just me being paranoid she thought and walked home.

It was 11:30pm and Landan found himself going to the café. He was wide awake because he slept the entire flight back to the city. The café wasn’t too busy and he looked around hoping to see Mizani but she wasn’t there. He got to the counter and ordered. Landan knew where she lived but there was one problem she lived with her boyfriend. It wouldn’t look too good if he showed up on her doorstep. He took his coffee to go.







Chapter End Notes:

The story is developing slowly but I want to do it justice. Its only my second attempt but I having fun doing it. I love the comments and feedback it keeps me inspired.