Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

CHARACTERS

 

 
KATTA                               DAMON 




Author's Chapter Notes:

I stayed up late last night writing the first chapter to this story. I don't think too many people read The Vampire Diaries, but I got obsessed with it and had to get this story out to find some peace of mind. LOL 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters or storyline of The Vampire Diaries. This is fanfiction only, not to be sold, copied, or used in any way to make money. However the original character, Katta Bennett, is mine. 


Katta Bennett couldn't have chosen a better place to spend her summer other than with her adorable little cousin, Bonnie. It had been awhile since she'd last seen her. They were very close and she often treated her cousin as her little sister. Three years ago, Katta had helped Bonnie with her powers after her grandmother died. Although she didn't live in Mystic Falls, Katta had worked behind the scenes in her hometown, giving Bonnie advice and helping her find spells she needed to save her best friend Elena. When things got too much for them to handle, Katta made her way to Mystic Falls to make right all the wrong that had happened. There she had met the Salvatore brothers for the first time. Stefan had been a dream, but she'd regretted saving his brother Damon from a nasty werewolf bite, courtesy of Tyler Lockwood. From the moment the vampire had opened those abnormally beautiful blue eyes, her life had been hell ever since. He'd taken one look at her and tried to sink those very sharp fangs of his into her neck. Of course, her reflexes to immediate danger had sent him flying across the room and crashing into the wall and that had been the beginning of their hateful relationship.

She pulled up in front of the Salvatore's home in her red convertible and sighed as she stared at the huge mansion/boarding house. She didn't understand why Bonnie insisted she meet her at the Salvatore's home. The last person she wanted to see was Damon Salvatore. Luckily, Bonnie had assured her it had been a long time since Damon had returned to Mystic Falls which was the only reason why she'd agreed to meet her here. The answer to her question was waiting for her as soon as she opened the door.

"Surprise!" A group of people screamed out scaring the daylights out of her.

"What..." Katta blinked at the medium size crowd and smiled when she realized they were throwing her a welcome back party.

Bonnie ran up to her and hugged her tightly. "Hi cuz! I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too!" Katta said returning her hug. "What is all of this?"

"Well, I was so excited when you told me you were coming here this week that I wanted to do something special. It's been two years since we've seen you Kat. You disappear without a word and suddenly return from some mysterious place you refuse to tell me about. I'm just so happy you're okay."  Bonnie hugged her again causing Katta to feel very guilty about keeping the dark secret she carried inside of her from her little cousin and her friends.

"Are we ever going to get a chance to hug her?" Elena asked as she stood beside Bonnie with Stefan standing behind her.

Bonnie grinned and took a step back.

"Hi Elena," Katta said hugging the slim beautiful girl that had once been the center of everyone's universe three years ago when they were trying to save her from Klaus. "How are you honey?"

"Much better, happy for once," Elena told her.

"Safe and happy," Stefan corrected and smiled at Katta. He waited until Elena moved out of the way and hugged her. "How are you, Kat?"

"I'm alive," Kat said smiling up at the handsome vampire. Whenever he was around, she couldn't help but flirt with him. Elena knew she meant no harm in it and Stefan thought it was funny and humored her. She couldn't help herself, the man was just too charming to resist.

Stefan was that perfect guy every girl had dreamed of. He was thoughtful, kind, sensitive, and protective of the people he cared about, not to mention incredibly good-looking. He had straight dirty blonde hair styled fashionably in the latest look and was always dressed impeccably.  His brown eyes watched her warmly with a slight hint of curiosity. She knew he wanted to ask her where she had been, but was polite enough not to for now.

"So, I see," he replied, "you gave us all a scare disappearing like that."

"I'm sorry you guys. I will apologize forever if I have to. I didn't mean to make any of you worry. Bonnie told me how you helped her search for me. Thank you for caring."

"Of course we care, you practically grew up with us and you were there for us when we needed you," Elena said grabbing Katta's arms and leading her into the room.

Bonnie grabbed her other arm. "Promise me, you'll never do that again! I'm still determined to find out what you were up to while you were gone!"

"Bonnie..." Katta looked at her and shook her head. "By the way, where is that boyfriend of yours?"

"Jeremy couldn't take off work, but you'll see him tomorrow," Bonnie said.

"Hi Kat!" Caroline suddenly appeared in front of her with Tyler, her boyfriend.

"How's my second favorite vampire?" Katta smiled at the cute blonde who grinned and gave her a quick hug.

"Great! I organized the party," Caroline felt the need to tell her.

"And from the looks of it, you went through a lot of trouble in doing so, thank you, Caroline. I love it! Is that my favorite song playing?"

Caroline grinned and nodded, pleased with herself that Kat had noticed. "I got all of them from Bonnie!"

"Hey Katta," Tyler said, "nice to see you again."

Katta smiled at the good-looking werewolf. "Hey Tyler, have you been treating Caroline well while I've been gone?"

"I try," Tyler said, "but it's never enough."

Caroline hit him on the shoulder, then turned around to frown at someone who was in the midst of spiking the punch bowl. "Hey, you put that down! That alcohol doesn't belong to you!" She went after him. Tyler grinned, shrugged, and followed after her.

Katta laughed softly. "Some things never change. Look at all of you, you've all grown up on me and in college...they grow up so fast..." she pretended to cry.

Bonnie laughed. "Stop acting like you're so much older than us, you're only 25."

Stefan wrapped his arms around Elena from behind. "She's right, you're far from being an old grandpa like me."

"Eww," Elena said. "Please don't ever say that around me again."

"Well you always did have a thing for older men," Bonnie teased her.

"If I live to be 65 and still look like Stefan, I'd be one happy old cougar. Tell me, Stefan, after living over 400 years, what's your secret for looking like someone who stepped out of a model ad?" she teased.

"Blood," they heard Damon's sarcastic voice. "Lots and lots of blood..."

Katta stiffen, she didn't even bother to turn around. She glared at Bonnie and Elena. "You two told me he would NOT be here!"

"He wasn't!" Elena said just as shocked as everyone else.

"I swear, I didn't know he was here," Bonnie quickly told her.

"Aren't you going to turn around and greet your first favorite vampire?" Damon teased standing a little too close for comfort behind Katta.

Apparently, he'd been eavesdropping on her conversation.

"I was referring to Stefan as my first, Caroline as my second, you don't even exist to me," Katta gritted her teeth for two reasons as she slowly turned around to face the devil's spawn. The first reason was because she knew he was about to annoy the hell out of her, but she was determined to not let him ruin the warm atmosphere in the room. The second was because looking at Damon's extraordinary features tended to overwhelm her for a few minutes before she could get ahold of herself.

She caught her breath as she stared up at him. He was extremely close causing her to stare at that masculine chest covered in a silk dark blue shirt. She slowly moved her eyes up to meet his and was nearly blinded by those eerily beautiful light blue eyes. They were the color of the sky on a clear summer afternoon. How many times had she stopped herself from getting lost in them? The vampire hadn't changed at all, he was still drop dead gorgeous, and he was even more handsome than Stefan, although she would go to her grave admitting that to him. Ebony locks of hair framed the ivory face an artist or a sculptor would call perfection with his high cheekbones, proud nose, and full sexy lips that were currently twisting in their usual smirk.

So it was true, Damon thought as he stared into the beautiful face of the woman who had become his latest obsession. She really had returned. He couldn't decide if he wanted to grab her - and shock everyone, including her, - by kissing the life out of her or choke her to death. Since neither would be a good idea for the time being, he decided not to do anything, but stare into those lovely hazel eyes and take in the view before him. She hadn't changed much over the two years she had disappeared, except become even lovelier than he remembered. Her wavy locks of tawny brown hair had gotten longer and now fell down her back instead of resting on her shoulders. Her mocha brown skin still looked like flawless satin and made his fingers ache to caress it. He hated the way she made him feel whenever he got near her and his tongue seemed to lash out at her of its own accord.

"Well, well, well, the Wicked Bitch, I mean Witch of the East has returned," he said raising a glass of scotch to her in a mocking manner. "Sorry, a slip of the tongue, you know how I tend to get those words mixed up concerning you."

And just like that, Katta was over him. She crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Why are you still here, Damon? Still pining after Elena? Get over it and move on, she doesn't want your ass! It was cute at first, but now your obsession with her is just...creepy."

"The last time I checked this was my home," he pointed at his chest, "not yours. I can come and go as I please. You," he trailed a finger lightly down her chest, she slapped it away, "are the uninvited guest. Perhaps I should turn you into a vampire, just to see that cute little ass of yours sail across the room and out the door." He wiggled his eyebrows at her and grinned.

"Actually, the only ass we'll be seeing flying across the room is yours if you don't get out of my way."

"Ahh," Damon sighed, raising his glass to her again. "Such fond memories of back in the day, to good times..." he said dryly and downed his drink. He suddenly began to cough as the drink turned into acid and began to burn his throat.

"Don't mess with me, Damon. If you know what's good for you, you'll stay far, far away from me. I've gotten a lot more powerful since you've last seen me and I will tear your ass up!"

"Mmmm, promise?" Damon almost purred at her and grinned at the woman who looked so much like her cousin Bonnie, they could have been sisters.

"Play nice Damon," Stefan warned him. "This is Katta's party, don't ruin it."

"What? What did I do?" Damon pretended his feelings were hurt when the girls gave him angry glares and walked away.

Stefan grabbed his arm and dragged him into the kitchen. "What are you doing here?"

"Et tu Stefan? My own brother questions me about returning home? I missed you too, dear sweet brother of mine."

"Cut the crap, Damon. You've been gone for two years. Why show up now?"

"Why not?" Damon asked him.

"I find it strange that you happened to disappear the same time Katta disappeared." Stefan crossed his arms and took a step closer to his brother. He peered into his eyes suspiciously and tilted his head. "Were you searching for her?"

Damon looked at him in surprise before quickly covering it up with a loud scoff. "Puh Lease! As if I'd search for that irritating witch! I was out celebrating her departure for two whole years, the world needed to know there was one less condescending witch infesting it!"

Stefan shook his head. "Yeah, okay. I take it you will be staying for a while."

"This has nothing to do with her! Do you really want me to be over Elena so badly that you're trying to push me on a witch?"

"I know you're not in love with Elena anymore, Damon, that changed...three years ago..." Stefan smirked and left the room.

Damon watched his brother leave knowing he couldn't get away with anything under Stefan's watchful eyes. Stefan knew him too well. Damon couldn't fool him even when he lied to himself. He threw the empty glass in the sink and grabbed the edges of the counter squeezing it tightly. Where the hell had she been?

For two years, he'd searched for her. He'd travel around the world trying to find some clue to her disappearance and suddenly Alaric, who was still living with Elena and Jeremy as their guardian, calls him and tells him she's returned out of nowhere and was on her way to visit Bonnie. He tried to tell himself that he was bored and searching for her gave him something to do with his meaningless existence now that Elena was safe. And yet, when he'd snuck back into the house and saw her standing there talking to her friends, his heart started pounding so loudly, it drowned out the music in the room. Relief flooded through him along with anger.

The memory of his first time meeting her suddenly flashed into his mind. He'd been dying of a werewolf's bite. He remembered Elena staying with him, laying on the bed beside him and crying, and how happy he'd been to know those tears were only for him. She had kissed him that night and told him she'd forgiven him for everything. He had been prepared to die, to welcome death during his last remembrance of the tender moment they'd shared together. Yes, it would have been a very sweet death because Elena had been alone with him and for a few minutes he could pretend that she belonged only to him, not Stefan.

He hadn't realized how much time had went by, but suddenly he felt himself snatched from his blissful death with a violent jerk. Life began to pour back into his body and when he opened his eyes, the soulful deep brown eyes of Elena's was gone and was replaced by fiery hazel eyes that seemed to glow straight into his soul. For a second, he thought she was another wolf and had attacked her. She'd sent him flying across the room and plastering his entire body upside the wall.

Yes, that was the first time he'd met his beautiful, powerful, and sexy as hell witch. Their meeting hadn't gotten off to a good start, then again, he couldn't remember ever getting off to a good start with anyone before he became friends with them. However, he wouldn't call their relationship a friendly one, she hated him, maybe even despised him, and he made sure she did, for the simple fact that he found himself drawn to her. He didn't want to like her. He didn't want to feel anything for her and yet he couldn't stop his attraction to her. Something about that fiery attitude of hers, the confident way she carried herself, and the way she held her own against him, scorching him as much as he scorched her with her own witty and sarcastic remarks that kept him interested, curious, entertained, and so hot for her he could barely stand it. She was the complete opposite of Elena in looks and personality and race. Damon had always thought Elena or even Katherine- before he found out how manipulative and selfish she was - were the only women who could make him feel so strongly about them. Apparently he'd been wrong; an African-American witch with wicked curves and an even more wicked personality had managed to bewitch him.

And now the woman he'd been searching for two years had returned to him. He'd be damned if he let her get away from him again. Right now, he was pissed, more than pissed, he was furious at her and he was going to make sure she knew it by torturing her every chance he got, that would teach her to run off and leave him without so much as a word.

Katta waved at the last group of people leaving the house and fell on the couch, exhausted. "I think I'm all partied out, but I do love dancing and good food."

 Stefan chuckled and sat beside her. "Have you found a place to stay yet?"

Katta shook her head. "No, I was going to look for an apartment tomorrow."

"You're welcomed to stay here, free of charge if you like," Stefan offered.

Kat turned and stared at him in shock. "You're being awfully generous. What are you up to?"

"She can stay with me," Bonnie said giving Stefan a strange look.

"I couldn't do that, Bonnie, where would I sleep?" Katta smiled as Bonnie sat on the arm of the couch.

"We could room together," Bonnie said. "It would be just like old times."

Katta laughed. "I wouldn't dream of doing that to you now. You're all grown up and have a very cute boyfriend that comes over. You need your privacy."

"Really, it wouldn't be a problem," Bonnie insisted.

"Stefan is right, why not stay here?" Elena asked sitting beside him. "The mansion is not lacking for space. They've got plenty of empty bedrooms to choose from."

"It's the least I could do for you, for saving my brother and helping Elena," Stefan said.

"Have you both lost your minds? I wouldn't care if she stayed here if Damon wasn't around, but he's back for some strange reason and they'll kill each other with in a few days or at least destroy your home with all the fighting."

"I'll make sure, Damon is on his best behavior," Stefan assured Katta.

"Yeah, right, no one can tame Damon," Bonnie mumbled.

"Maybe you can," Stefan told Katta with a grin. "Are you up to taming the beast if you stay here? I mean you can't beat a sweet deal like this, free room and board, no utilities to pay..."

"It does sound very tempting," Katta said with a smile. "And I am running a little low on cash lately."

"You can't be considering this," Bonnie said in disbelief.

"How bad can it be living with Damon? He stayed around and tortured me for a year before I left after saving his ass, the ungrateful bastard. I'm use to him and maybe it's time for payback."

"That's the spirit!" Stefan urged.

"Don't encourage her!" Bonnie told him.

"Don't worry, Bonnie, I can always leave if I get fed up with him," Katta told her.

"And I'll be here most of the time, playing the referee," Elena teased.

"Am I the only one who can see this is a very bad idea?" Bonnie asked looking at her friends as if they'd suddenly lost their common sense.

Later that night, Elena lay in bed with Stefan snuggled in his arms. "I know what you're up to," she finally said.

"Do you?" Stefan asked. He smiled and kissed her forehead.

Elena turned to look at him. "Of course, why do you think I went along with it? Damon likes Katta. You want her to be close to him and I want to see him happy."

"I think he more than likes her," Stefan chuckled, "but he's in a serious case of denial about it. How did you know?"

"Come on, this is Damon we're talking about, whenever he picks fights with a woman for no reason at all, it usually means he likes her. I watched them the year before she disappeared; he was constantly following her around; antagonizing her. It was actually kind of funny when she wasn't trying to kill him."

Stefan smiled at that. "I want him to be happy too. I want him to have what we have, I think they would be good for each other if they both stop being so stubborn about it. But, there is another reason why I want her close to him, with Katta here Damon is most likely to stay home where I can keep an eye on him. When he was gone for the past two years, I was worried that he might revert back to his old self and go on a killing spree. You know how he can get when he turns off his emotions, at least with Katta, he won't be able to shut them off so easily."

"I think we're doing the right thing," Elena said. "One thing for sure, with Katta in town, it's going to be a very interesting summer."

Katta sat in bed dressed in cotton pajamas pants and top. It was cold and breezy in the old house at night. She supposed as vampires, it didn't bother Stefan and Damon. It would definitely take some getting used to on her end. How did Elena deal with it? Oh that's right, she had a nice masculine body to keep her warm at night. Katta sighed and stood up to look out the window. She would never be able to love anyone in her condition. All her human dreams and hopes had ended when she made the biggest mistake of her life during the past two years she'd went incognito. She had already been a very powerful witch, one of the strongest, but she had wanted more. Her greed and her addiction to magic had led her down a very dark path for more power. She'd gotten what she wanted. But with power, came a price, a very dear price she hadn't been aware of until it was too late.

"God!" she cried out in anger and frustration just thinking about her fate and knowing even God couldn't help her now. One tear fell from her cheek and into the hand of Damon who suddenly appeared between her and the window. She screamed, caught off guard. "You...vampire! How did you manage to sneak up on me like that?!"

Damon stared down at the tear in his hand before gently closing his palm around it. He stared into her eyes. "You were heavily distracted..." he answered softly.

"What are you doing in my room? Get out of here!"

"You're not allowed to cry unless I make you," he told her peering down at her with those light blue eyes. "Besides, how many times do I have to remind you that you're in my house which makes this my room, not yours? The question is why are you still here?"

"Stefan said I could stay here for as long as I want."

"Did he? I must have a talk with him."

"I answered your question, now will you leave?"

"No, I have another question. Where have you been the past two years?"

"As if I would tell you," Katta said.

"You're in trouble, aren't you?"

"What makes you think I'm in trouble?"

"The tear I hold in my hand for one and I know for a fact that no one disappears for two years and returns without bringing trouble along with them."

"Leave me alone, Damon. I'm too tired to argue with you tonight," Katta turned to dismiss him.

Damon grabbed her arm and pulled her against his body. Warmth enveloped her front. How could a vampire manage to be so warm anyway? Oh yes, that's right, they had learn the neat little trick of constantly drinking alcohol to keep their body warm. She could feel her body already melting against his, aching for him to wrap his arms around her. He'd caught her at a vulnerable time; she wanted to be held by someone, even the man she hated would do...at least that's what she told herself. "Let go of me, Damon..."

"I can make you tell me by doing things to your body that would keep you up all night and have you screaming out any answer I need to know..."

Damn, the crazy vampire could turn her on like no other man she'd ever met. At least it wasn't one sided, she could feel him becoming hard against her thigh. "Are you coming on to me or is that a threat?" She couldn't help it, flirting was like second nature to her.

Damon smirked. "Both..."

She knew he was stronger than her physically, stronger and faster than her human body, but what she was lacking in physical qualities she made up with her powers.

Damon felt a powerful push and suddenly found himself flying out the window. His body hit the ground with a loud heavy thud causing him to groan slightly. He didn't like the idea of being pushed out the window from the third floor of his own home. His pride was hurt more than his body. "I'm going to kill that bitchy witch!" he growled. His body became a blur as he flew back in the house.

Katta felt a little cheered up after seeing Damon falling in the night air. There was certain satisfaction she got from hearing his body hit the ground. Was that a few bones she heard crack? It was music to her ears, but her enjoyment was short-lived when he got up. Damn vampires and their amazingly fast healing, she really had to do something about that. She quickly cast a spell on her room blocking him out. When Damon tried to enter, he was bounced back into the hallway. He tried again and realized what she'd done.

"You're so going to die when you leave that room!" He hissed angrily.

Katta walked up to him facing him through the invisible barrier. "Let me stay here, Damon. I've come back to enjoy my life at a place I hold dear in heart. I'm at peace here surrounded by all the people I love and care about. I've watched over these kids my entire life, I've cried and laughed with them and have bailed them out of trouble countless of times. I know just about everyone in this town, it's been more of a home to me than any other place. Don't you feel the same way? So, please...let me stay here, it will only be for a while."

Damon's anger disappeared as he stared down at her. Something wasn't right...her voice was so sad, so...final...and those beautiful hazel eyes were actually pleading up at him. "What have you gotten yourself into, Kat?"

"Does it matter?" she asked and walked back to her bed. "Good night, Damon." The door shut with a loud bang.

Damon lingered in the hallway pacing up and down it, his mind racing. He growled in frustration and punched a hole through the wall. Damn, he hated her for making him worry so much...for making him care. He needed to get out of the house, to get as far away from her as he could before she drove him insane.