Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Drawing Room...

"You are not upset that we are curtailing your visit home."

"I'm not upset," he said shying away from her imminent touch, "Your father is ill and understandably you are worried. If you'll excuse me...," he said as he exited.

"His cold behavior towards you confounds the mind. Emilie it was a huge mistake visiting this colony," Aunt Diana snorted.

"Drake needed to visit his family and friends after all these years. We are not going hold his behavior against him."

"Nevertheless I'm happy that we will be returning to some sort of normalcy."

"You are correct in your comment dear Aunt. I also hope that father is getting on well and Drake and I can get on with planning our wedding."

 

The Study...

"I'm surprised you called Gregory and I to the estate this evening father."

"I'm surprised as well but it was your brother who requested the meeting. He must have some great announcement. Ah here he is now..."

"What is this great news dear brother that requires our presence?"

"You will be happy to know dear sister that I've decided to return to England."

"Why would that be of any consequence to Gregory and I? I wish you were born with wings and then we would be rid of you very quickly!

"Sara, hold your tongue!" Gregory shouted.

Gregory's words and tone caught everyone off guard. Usually he was reserved and kept his thoughts to himself.

"Bravo Gregory! You've finally grown a backbone to counteract my sister the boar."

"If I'm a boar then you are stupid hyena! An ugly one at that considering those animals are..."

"That is quite enough bickering from the both of you. I've warned you two before to stop this nonsense," James warned angrily, "Drake is that the end of your announcement?"

"No father I have one more announcement," he sighed, "I've decided against taking over the leadership of James Brodie and Company."

"What?" James asked visibly disappointed. Sara felt an internal elation. "How did you arrive at this decision so soon?"

"It matters not how I came to this decision."

"It matters to me!" Max started barking. "Max, settle down!" The dog obeyed.

"It is my decision father."

"You heard him father it is his decision," Sara agreed.

"Drake has a good head for business. During his visit he has been able to increase my business two-fold and put the accounts in proper working order."

"And Gregory and I don't have these capabilities?! We run a successful business in the center of town on our own."

"Sara, be quiet! My daughter certainly needs to hold her tongue when gentlemen are speaking."

"Father I don't mean to be disrespectful but this discussion is over. My conscious is free from guilt over my decision. Gregory and Sara the company is now in your hands. Good luck."

"I still have some packing to complete so I'll take my leave."

 

"Gregory I would kindly ask you to take my daughter home. My mind needs to ponder this abrupt occurrence."

"But father..."

"Sara, we should go. Goodbye Mr. Brodie."

"Goodbye Gregory."

Sara lingered behind for a moment. "Sara I'm saying this for the last time...come along!"

 

"Why did you have to embarrass me in front of my father and brother?"

"For far too long I've allowed you to have your way but it will not happen any longer. In the coming days you will see things change drastically and it will be because of your doing. There are only so many times you can denigrate someone until he reacts."

Sara wondered what he actually meant but she kept her mouth closed and dutifully followed behind him.

 

Drake wasn't being of much assistance to Ezekiel who finished his packing. Occasionally Ezekiel would ask him a question and his response would be a simple yes or no. Drake was stretched out on his bed with his mind lost in thoughts of Eliza.

Maybe I am leaving too soon. I'm already missing you my love."

"I think I'm all finished Mr. Drake," Ezekiel said sitting by the side of the bed.

Drake came back to the present. "Oh yes Ezekiel thank you very much," he replied.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too."

"I've taken good care of your marbles and kept them looking shiny."

"I'm happy to hear that but they are your marbles now so you can do whatever you like with them."

"I'm really going to miss you Mr. Drake," Ezekiel said again in a low tone.

"Come here Ezekiel." He moved closer and Drake gave him a hug.

He had come to view Ezekiel like a little brother and sadly his departure would cause him to be a casualty - as soon as he became of age his father would send him off to Mahogany camp with his Uncle Arthur.

"May I come in?"

"What do you want Gloria?"

"I wanted to give you a proper goodbye Mr. Drake."

"I'm still busy packing. When all the staff is gathered then you can say your goodbye."

"Alright," she sighed and stomped away. Someway somehow Eliza had gotten to Drake.

Aunt Diana was again conducted George and Robert regarding the luggage. Emilie stood aside as Drake bid farewell to the staff. He paused to stare off in the distance. Goodbye my love but wait for my return.

 

After Drake left Eliza had little joy remaining. Mrs. Rose was still personable and she performed her tasks well under her direction but she longed to go back to the estate if only to be around Matilda and her Aunt until Drake returned. The locket she kept hidden beneath her dress collar and when she was alone she caught herself fidgeting with its edges and remembering happier moments spent with her love.

Before long her employment at the Rose estate was completed. The third week of Drake's departure she was on her way back home.

"Eliza!"

"Matilda!" They yelled giving each other a hug.

"Finally you come back to us. So how was it?"

"Good. Good. I only had to cook and nothing else. I had my own little cottage to live in. Mrs. Rose was very good to me."

"Look like she like you a lot." Matilda admired Eliza's navy blue dress.

"One of her old dresses lying around. Old to her but new to me."

"I hear you."

"Where is everyone?"

"Their usual spots except for Gloria. Since Drake and his companions left she back to her old ways." She had to remind her.

"I'm going upstairs to change. I'll be back."

Unpacking then changing into her usual servant's garb her eyes became reacquainted with her tight surroundings. She was definitely going to miss her small cottage. The locket bounced around her neck and she thought about what it had come to symbolize - her future with Drake.

"Eliza you get down here child!" It was her Aunt Bessie calling.

Why wouldn't her Aunt come upstairs? She mentally questioned as she walked down the stairs.

"Aunt Bessie..."

She was surprised to see her Aunt Bessie, Mr. George, Matilda and Ezekiel standing around the kitchen table with a chocolate cake at the center.

"Oh my goodness..."

"It's good to have you home Eliza."

"I'm so happy to be back home."

 

Meanwhile...

On the other side of the world it had been an active three weeks for Drake. He had taken short trips to different parts of England and had spent a week in France. In between these journeys he had been able to sell his half of a partnership at considerable profit. He sold the property that he had purchased for his marriage life and in turn he acquired another property in Tyneside, England.

The day before his leaving for France he wrote Emilie a letter ending their engagement. Dissolving the relationship had been easier than expected. Upon their arrival to England, Emilie rushed to be by her father's side with her focus firmly on his immediate recovery. This unwavering dedication offered Drake an opportunity to ease his way out of the ill-fated relationship. He knew her receiving his letter at that time would be a cruel thing to do but it wasn't fair to go on pretending where there was no love on his part.

 

Brodie Estate...

That evening Eliza told Matilda all the sorted details of her last encounter with Drake including their plans to leave the Bay and start a new life together.

Matilda immediately asked, "Eliza, you still see your menses?"

"Matilda I no pregnant."

"Good cause now not the proper time. You must tell Aunt Bessie about this. She deserve to know."

"I can't. If she know then she will have to tell Mr. Brodie. She won't want me to go. Matilda I have a good chance at love

"If he come back."

"He will come back. My heart tell me so," she replied playing with her locket.

"What that? It very pretty."

"A gift from Drake and you can't tell anyone I have it." Eliza didn't take it off instead she allowed her to examine it around her neck.

"It really look like it cost a lot of money. I promise I won't say nothing. Mr. Drake tell me he love you but I still don't know if it will work as you say."

"I still going to take that chance."

"It make me think of Matthew and wanting him to come home safe."

"Always we women left behind to wait," Eliza bemoaned.

Matilda decided to lighten the mood.

"I think Gloria happy you home."

"Why?"

"She no work so hard in she born life."

"Happy to hear that she work so hard." They both shared a laugh. "It good to laugh with you again Matilda."

 

England...

Three days after his return from France Drake heard a hard knocking at the front door of his flat.

"Who is it?"

"It is your ex-fiancée who deserves to have an explanation."

He had been expecting her to make an appearance and he calmly opened the door. His eyes beheld an unkempt Emilie who was prepared to make her thoughts known.

"This is the way you cast off a woman whom you claimed to once love...sending a horrid letter during a very woeful time."

"I thought it best to end it now since my affection towards you had changed."

"You thought it best? Have you ever considered anyone's feelings but your own? Here I am being a nurse to my ill father and at the same time losing the love of my fiancé. I wonder if I'm being punished for some unknown reason. What have I done to cause your affections to wane?"

"The truth is I fell in love with an idea and not a real person."

"So I am not Helen Barton! I may look like her but could never be her. Is that it?" Unknowingly she had given him a way out without revealing his true love.

"I suppose...," he muttered.

"You selfish bastard!" A red welt came across the area where she slapped him.

"Emilie I'm asking you to leave...now!"

"I see now that your letter was indeed a blessing - better not to be married to a man who displays such cowardice!" She yelled before running out the door crying.

He realized that his handling of this situation had been very heartless but he couldn't reverse what had already been done. Returning to Eliza's arms became his only desire.

 

Late Afternoon Early May...

Eliza and Matilda were busily preparing the evening meal.

"Tomorrow we should go pick some ripe juicy mangoes and maybe some plums too."

"I don't feel like it."

"Come on Eliza. You can't sit around wasting your days away for some man. If you say he come back then he will. If he don't then he don't."

"Alright I go with you but I want to look for number eleven mangoes first."

"You to craving."

"You know those are the most delicious mangoes we grow."

 

Gloria entered the kitchen giving the both of them a quick glance.

"You two haven't finished preparing the dinner as yet?"

"If we received some kind of help from you then it would already be finished," Eliza responded.

"I'll tell Aunt Bessie that you have a smart mouth. Matilda has been having a bad influence on your character."

"You should be the last person to speak about anyone's character."

"You are just unhappy that Drake left you behind and is now married. You should be concentrating on Will. He is your man isn't he?" Gloria confronted her.

"You don't know anything about Drake or about my life so shut the bloody hell up!" she yelled as she pushed Gloria aside. Immediately Gloria pushed her hard causing her to stumble against the table. The locket swung free.

"What is that thing around your neck?"

"It is not your concern. It was a gift from a good friend."

"An unlikely story! You must have pilfered it from Ms. Elizabeth's jewelry box when your Aunt wasn't watching."

"I am not a thief!"

"We'll see about that. Give it to me!"

Matilda attempted to snatch it from around her neck but Eliza grabbed her hand and thereafter a fight ensued. Head scarves became undone, back and forth hair pulling and torn dresses mixed with a lot of shouting. They landed heavily on the ground with Eliza situated on top smacking hard at Gloria's face who kicked wildly trying to get her off.

"Eliza get off me! Matilda, please help!"

"Help you? I've been waiting for Eliza to beat your ass for a very long time. You enjoy stepping on people's toes too much."

She certainly wasn't getting involved with this squabble unless Eliza requested her assistance. From the looks of things she certainly didn't need her help. She popped a piece of carrot in her mouth and started to chew.

"Gloria don't you ever meddle in my affairs again!"

"Aunt Bessie, Momma!" Gloria yelled feeling every backhanded slap that Eliza was giving. Her face began to feel battered and she tasted blood in her mouth.

Gloria saw an opportunity to fend off her blows by taking a hold of her arms. She finally managed to push her off and immediately scampered away.

 

"Never knew you had it in you."

"Don't mess...with a woman...who is missing her gentleman," she said rising from the floor and retrieving her head scarf. She took a deep breath, smoothed out her strands and secured them under the scarf.

"I'll be offering my help this time when they give you punishment."

 

"Eliza I'm home!"

They both turned to see Drake standing by the kitchen door with a wicked grin on his handsome face. Eliza couldn't believe her eyes and her entire body went numb. So many nights she had prayed for his return and now her prayers were finally answered.

"Drake!" she screamed.

She rushed into his arms and they kissed passionately seemingly unaware of Matilda's presence in the room.

"Look at you," Eliza beamed. Drake had grown out his hair as well as his sideburns. "You look even more amazing than your last visit here."

"And you more radiant but why is your dress torn my love and your face damp with sweat."

"Ahem!"

"Matilda I'm sorry. It's good to see you as well. What has my beloved been doing all this while?" He asked as his hands still encircled her waist.

"Eliza is going to be in a bit of trouble. She and Gloria were just involved in a heated argument where some blows were thrown."

"My dear are you hurt?"

"A bit of bruising on my hands and my torn dress but otherwise I'm feeling happy that you have come back to me."

He kissed both of her hands sweetly and said, "I promise I would."

"And you've kept your promise."

 

"Eliza, have you gone mad! Look at what you have done to Gloria! What do you have to say for yourself?"

Gloria had brought along Mr. Brodie, Ms. Olivia and Aunt Bessie as her support. Ms. Olivia cuddled her bruised and beaten daughter by her side.

"She deserved a good beating. You allow her to prance around this estate while the rest of us carry the load."

"Eliza, that isn't any way to speak to Mr. Brodie," her Aunt chided.

"I'm speaking the truth!"

"I see it differently. You are being very disrespectful to this household and I will have to take the necessary steps to quell such unrestrained behavior. I thought very highly of your dear departed mother but never did I expect her daughter to bring such a shameful display within this house."

"Father I'm sure Gloria provoked Eliza to raise her hand."

"Drake I did not!" Gloria cried, "I swear to you I didn't. She is the one that has stolen from Ms. Elizabeth's jewelry box and when I attempted to get it back she went mad."

"Stolen?" Aunt Bessie was completely stunned by the accusation.

"Yes Aunt Bessie. Eliza stole a locket from Ms. Elizabeth. She is wearing it as we speak."

"Disgraceful...from a daughter of such a fine woman as Ms. Edith..."

The four of them were either looking at her with contempt or disbelief.

"Eliza is this true?"

"Mr. Brodie, Gloria is not telling you the truth."

A horrific thought of a severe beating or definitely a harsh prison sentence flashed through Eliza's mind if Mr. Brodie believed Gloria's allegation.

"Father it is an unwarranted charge!"

"Drake this is not your affair and I suggest you remain quiet," James said angrily. "Now Eliza, speak to me truthfully. Have you stolen a piece of jewelry from my wife's collection?!"

"Anything involving Eliza is my affair! I was the one that gifted the locket to her because I'm in love with her!"

Eliza's hopes of Drake returning and whisking her away were completely dashed.

"Drake...no...," Eliza cautioned.

He turned to her and said, "I'm not fearful of speaking my heart to everyone especially the way I feel about you."

"She is the reason that I've come back to the Bay. I've come to take her away with me because I love her. Do you hear me father? I love Eliza!"

If his heart could have stopped beating at that moment then it would have but James' thoughts reflected back on a letter that he had received from Aunt Diana expressing her disappointment in his son breaking his engagement to Emilie. Aunt Bessie, Ms. Olivia and Gloria were equally shocked into silence while Eliza bravely stood by Drake's side. Matilda looked on pensively.

"Drake...son... you don't mean what you have just said. Wasn't it just a short time ago that you were engaged to Emilie and before her you had such a great love for Helen? Maybe I should call a doctor."

"I am not ill of mind or heart. Clearly you don't want to see my love for Eliza because of her color and station in life. I chose to end my engagement with Emilie because I cannot live my life without Eliza."

"I forbid you to take her anywhere! She is bound to this household!"

"Eliza is not a slave! She was born a free woman. Free to come and go wherever and with whomever she pleases," he blurted.

A heavy tension hung in the air as James glared at his son. Finally he could see why he broke off the engagement and why he didn't want to take over the company that was his birthright. So this was why he had returned. Deep down he thought that Drake had changed his mind about managing the company but he had come back for Eliza. After everything that he had bestowed upon his son... this was the gratefulness that he was being shown. Drake should have slapped him - the pain would have been easier to bear.

Aunt Bessie eventually said, "Everyone let's go and leave these two alone to talk to one another."

"I want to remain with Drake," Eliza responded with a hint of defiance.

"No Eliza, go along with your Aunt...I'll listen to what he has to say but he can never change my plans for our future together," he said and then kissed her gently. James smirked and turned his head away.

Matilda turned off the stove and followed Aunt Bessie and Eliza as they went up to their room. Ms. Olivia took a sobbing Gloria to get change and nursemaid. It seemed that Eliza's punishment was of least importance.

 

The room was eerily quiet but they could hear movement outside. Probably the men wanting their supper but seeing Mr. Brodie and Drake they soon left.

"My only son held the world in the palm of his hands and yet he is choosing to throw it all away over this ill-advised love affair."

"You seem to forget that you were once in love."

"I believe that you were once in love as well or so you claimed. I understand its meaning better than you ever have."

"We don't need to talk anymore father. Eliza and I are..."

"You are not going anywhere until we've settled this situation!"

 

Upstairs...

"Eliza, how could you keep this hidden from me?" Aunt Bessie asked with a distressed look on her face.

"If I told you about this you would have probably had me sent away. Drake loves me Auntie and I love him. He loves me," she reiterated.

"Or so he claims. Where is he taking you?"

"I don't know but it is a place where we can be together."

"So you don't know. I'm tired of listening to this nonsense. Child he's probably taking you back to England to be his maid."

"Mr. James said that Drake is not engaged anymore," Matilda offered.

"Hush Matilda. Even if it is true how could you leave your only family behind? Do we mean nothing to you?" she asked hurt.

"My family means everything to me but so does Drake. You want me to throw away a chance at love and happiness when it is right here in front of me."

"What about Will?"

"What about him. I've tried to picture him being a part of my life only because of Uncle Moses wanting to marry me off. I never had any real feelings towards him."

"There are going to be many people who look down on this relationship and will try to hurt you just because of your skin color. I can't lose my sister's only child over this."

"Aunt Bessie I love you very much but if I stay here I will be very miserable. Is that what you want? Drake and I realize that we can't live as a couple here and that's why we have decided to leave."

"I can't allow you to go," she said tearfully.

"If I was being allowed to have a man and get married then why can't I be with the person I love most?  I'm grown enough to make my own choices and I choose Drake."

"I promised Edith that I would look after you."

"So far you have done a great job but now it is my turn to look after my own well being."

 

Downstairs...

Drake stood by as his father seated himself at the table thinking about his next approach.

"You leave my company. You leave a fine young lady like Emilie for this type of relationship. You are throwing away your future."

"My future? Or is it your future? My time in England has created a different man. This settlement is too small for my future goals and of course I want Eliza to be a part of whatever future I choose to conceive."

"This settlement is a part of England. Do you for one moment believe that you can create a better future for yourself with Eliza being a part of it?"

"There are places in England where we will be accepted."

They heard footsteps walking towards the kitchen.

 

"Am I so unworthy of your son's love because of my race?"

"Eliza you are unable to understand my reasoning. It is the times in which we live. This forbidden union will only bring about heartache. Would you runoff and leave your Aunt grief-stricken. Your parents are buried here and what about your friends."

"I have thoroughly understood what I must leave behind and I still want to be with your son and share a life together with him."

"My love I want to share my life with you so much."

"Drake if you go I will be forced to forbid the both of you from reentering this property. You are no longer my son!" James yelled as he rose and banged hard on the table.

"He will always be our son!"

"Mom?" Drake couldn't remember the last time he gazed upon his mother. Her body looked frail and very wan but you could still see her beauty.

"Ms. Elizabeth, what are you doing out of bed?" Aunt Bessie asked frighteningly.

"Why shouldn't I be out of bed? I can still walk these halls Aunt Bessie."

"It looks like my husband and son are caught up in a disputable matter."

"I'm in control of this situation so you can go back to bed."

"You are not in control of anything and I'm not going back to bed until I've had my say. Drake has his own life to lead even if it may not be as we planned. James we were young once. Remember how you defied your father's command not to marry me because of my family's lower station. Luckily for us your father died suddenly from a heart ailment."

"This is different," James retorted.

"Because of her race? She is still a child of God. Our moral fortitude is greater than those narrow-minded souls out there."

"What about my company and my seat in the Parliament? His union with Eliza will bring disgrace upon my house!"

"I'm sure Drake and Eliza will be leaving the Bay. There will be no rest for them here. You can easily claim that he is a rebellious son that brought you to tears over this matter. The residents will certainly offer you their sympathies but behind these walls you are going to love our son. He was born out of our love."

James sighed heavily as if he had lost a great battle...beaten down by his son and a sickly wife who presented a good argument.

"Mother I'm sorry that I have been a neglectful son," he lamented going over to his mother and hugging her warmly. "Even if father doesn't listen to whatever we have to say, Eliza and I would like to thank you for taking our side."

"It's not about taking sides Drake. It is about accepting those we love and allowing them to live their lives. I will always love you Drake but it is so sad that I will be losing you again."

"Hopefully we will see you again mother." They both knew it probably wouldn't happen.

He needed to make a request of his father. "Father our ship will be leaving tomorrow would it be possible for us to spend the night here?"

"Do whatever you wish," James responded, "My opinion doesn't count for much anymore," he replied as he walked away.

"Ms. Elizabeth I will take you back to your room," Aunt Bessie commented. Elizabeth looked tired again. It seemed that she had used up all her strength to make the plea for her son and Eliza.

"Eliza I'll be back shortly." He went over and assisted Aunt Bessie with his mother.

 

"This is just part of the battle," Matilda reminded her.

"I'm not shaken."

"It going to be hard not to have you round. Going to miss you for real this time."

"I'm going to miss you too Matilda."

 

Ms. Elizabeth's room...

After placing his mother in bed she soon fell asleep. Drake kissed lightly her forehead.

"She will never be well again. It's amazing that she was able to come down the stairs and stand up to father."

"A mother will always find strength to defend her child."

"You are very angry with me Aunt Bessie."

"In some ways I am Drake. You are going to take my Eliza away from me."

"I really didn't mean for it to happen but I couldn't deny these deep feelings that I have for her."

"I'll ask one thing of you. Take very good care of her. After everything that she has been through in her life she deserves all the happiness in the world."

"To my last breath I will give her the happiness she needs."

 

Front Porch...

Eliza and Drake stood on the verandah gazing at the horizon.

"Our last sunset..."

"It shouldn't have to be."

"Eliza..." She moved to the other corner.

"I'm mentally tired. How long will it take for us to reach England?"

"The voyage will take ten to twelve days and then we must travel another two days by carriage to Tyneside, England." She accepted his response.

"Perhaps I should be glad that two good things came out of this experience."

"I know what they are," he said rejoining her. "My rediscovering a connection with my mother and us being together... Am I correct?"

"Yes my love," she said. "For now just hold me. I need to feel the security of your arms wrapped around me."

Their brief interlude was interrupted by Mr. George sudden appearance.

"Mr. George," she said nervously, "I guess you have come to give me a tongue lashing regarding Gloria." Drake remained quiet ready to defend her if the need arose.

"While Gloria is my daughter she brought this upon herself. I believe that she will conduct herself better from now on. I only came to wish the both of you the best."

"Thank you Mr. George," they both replied. He tipped his head and went back inside.

"I know something we can do. We did it often as children."

"Drake it is much too late."

"Come on Eliza...one last swim in the river. I'll race you the pier. Shoes off..."

"Shoes off...," she repeated laughing as she kept an eye on him.

"Let's go!"

 

The next morning there were tearful goodbyes except from Mr. Brodie who remained in his study who still felt that his son was going off to ruin.

"Matilda please take this," Eliza said removing the locket from around her neck.

"Eliza I can't. It something that Drake gave to you."

"He says it's alright and I want you to keep it for me. You have always been like a sister to me and...I just want you to have it," she responding trying to hold back the tears.

"I promise to take good care of it...until you come back..." It was a hug filled with a lot of sorrows. "It best you be going now." 

 It was never going to be easy to walk away and they held each other close. 

Mr. George took them by carriage to the docks where they boarded the "Great Britain" for the journey to a new life.

 

EPILOGUE

Drake paid the Captain enough cash not to cause any disturbance or ask any questions about him and his female companion. They spent most of their time hold up in their cabin and would sometimes sneak out to gaze at the sea or bask in the moonlight.

The voyage to England took the required ten days and on a layover in Sussex Eliza had an eye-opening experience. Drake wanted to purchase some dresses and bonnets for her but in order not to cast suspicion their way he informed the clerk that Eliza was his maid and she had the same build of his new bride who was at home sick in bed. Eliza felt disconcerted by the whole scene and didn't speak much for the rest of the journey.

 

Tyneside, England...

The trunks were being taken down from the carriage and Drake couldn't tell if she was pleased with their new four bedrooms home. She entered the front doors, asked him where their bedroom was located, took her personal bag and left. Soon he and the rest of the luggage followed her to the room where he found that she had already disappeared into the bathroom. He waited until she was finished before he went in to refresh himself as well.

Eliza quickly learned that unlike the Bay English weather called for a lot of layering. She was in the process of putting on her corset when Drake exited the bathroom.

"Would you please assist me?"

"Sure..." He drew the back lacing. "Is it tight enough?"

"I can still breathe."

He leaned against her sliding his hands up from her hips to her breasts. She moaned feeling his growing arousal.

"I know you are upset about the incident at the dress shop," he whispered playing with her peaks.

"It's...it's not your fault. We will have to...have to endure...these things from time to time."

"But still I need to be sensitive to my wife's feelings."

Instantly Eliza moved away and said, "Drake I'm not your wife. We have moved to England where it is illegal for us to get married."

"Ah...but there is a country where we can be married... Within a week we will sail for France." *kiss* "Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Eliza didn't respond immediately but instead took a moment to ponder. Those blue eyes stared at her...waiting...it felt like she was taking forever to make a response.

"Yes my love...Yes!" She leaped into his arms and he twirled her around.

"Oh Eliza! You've made all my dreams come true! I love you!"

 

They were married at 12 noon in Belleville, France where they also honeymooned.

Stomachs having been satisfied with Coq Au Vin and white wine they moved on to more pleasurable enjoyments that left Mrs. Brodie pleasantly surprised.

"Hmmm...Mr. Brodie you were holding back much of yourself during our short stints of lovemaking." Her body was still quivering from multiple orgasms.

"I decided to save the best part of myself for this special time with you, Mrs. Brodie."

"It makes me love and need you even more."

"As much as I need you..."

What an evening to remember and the subsequent days that followed were also treasured - walking along the cobblestone streets arm in arm, conversing, kissing as a newly married couple should without any fear was the highlight of their stay.

"My love was it all that you expected?"

"It was much...much more than I ever expected. I'm so delighted that we were able to share all these new experiences together. "

 

Subsequently in February 1861 their first son Denison was born.

"Come look at your son."

"Our son," he corrected as he kissed her and gazed at his handsome little boy taking him into his arms. "I will make sure that you and your mother are recognized as being Brodies."

"My love it does not matter. We are very contented."

"You are not my concubine and our son is not a bastard child. You are my wife and he is our son."

During the succeeding years Drake was able to accomplish this goal. He started a trade business within the small community and his reputation as a formidable businessman grew beyond expectation. He and Eliza gained a high degree of respectability throughout England so much so that their family was recognized and welcomed into many social circles without fear of reprisals. They moved from their modest home into a ten bedroom English Country House just outside of Tyneside. Eliza bore him five more children Benjamin, Edith, Edward, Elizabeth and their last being Kingsley whom was his father's favorite. It wasn't that Drake loved his other children any less but Kingsley's birth came after a very stressful time in their marriage.

In 1886, Eliza almost separated from Drake due to his long hours and extensive traveling that kept him away from home. She never feared infidelity because the success of "Brodie & Sons" became his only mission in life...it wasn't seeing to the happiness of his wife and children. Complain she did but he never paid any attention until one day she threatened to leave if he didn't. Alarmed by her warning he quickly changed his approach and delegating many of his responsibilities - a year and a half later Kingsley was birth to them.

 

1894...

Drake had just arrived home from a business trip to Leicester. After greeting the family and spending some time with them he soon retreated to the quiet of his study hoping that Eliza would soon join him. On his desk he caught sight of a letter from his good friend Ben. It read:

Dear Drake,

How is your family? I hope they are keeping well.

About a month ago an ill wind blew over the Bay's settlement. The currency had devalued and the workers were rioting because the merchant class refused to increase their wages. Troops from a British Warship harbored in the port had to come to quiet the storm. Thankfully the merchants relented because of all the destruction that was caused.

On a brighter note word of your business success has spread far and wide and I firmly believe that your family could accompany you if you choose to plan your next visit here. Awaiting a favorable response...

Your friend,

Ben

 

"Only now they are willing to welcome us back," he muttered.

There was a knock on the door. It was Eliza bringing him a welcomed cup of tea. He requested that she lock the door behind her.

"Thank you so much my dear," he said taking a sip. "I've just read Ben's letter. You can read it if you like."

Eliza perused its contents and Drake saw that there was hope in her eyes. "Do you want to return?"

"It has been so many years. I long to see the family that remains and have our children get to know them."

"Then we'll visit on our next holiday."

"Come and sit by my side. I need you." Eliza smiled and went over to his side and they kissed.

"Ooohh...," she said as he pulled her into his lap.

"What would the children think if they saw us this way?" she whispered.

"They would be happy to see that their parents are still very much in love."

"The older you get the more handsome you have become."

"Are you enticing your husband to do other things?"

"Perhaps...if we have the time," she winked and found his lips again.

"We've journeyed so far and we've had our share of ups and downs but still my love for you has never wavered."

"Growing up I never imagined living this life. Six beautiful children and you the man I love was able to give me a life that I believed were only in dreams."

"Attainable dreams."

It was easier to laugh about that intense moment that was shared so long ago.

 

"Mother Kingsley is misbehaving!"

Eliza attempted to leave but Drake held her arm saying, "The children can wait. Your husband needs attention much more." Smiling seductively with each other they embraced and started kissing passionately.