Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Brodie Estate lied on a huge plot of prime real estate – relatively a thirty minute walk from the center of town. It was first built in 1800 by Drake’s grandfather Henry Brodie as a wedding gift for his wife Mrs. Alice Brodie nee Parker. Over the years it has endured its share of reconstruction and add-ons but has always stayed true to its original purpose of housing the Brodie family.

The four bedroom British colonial styled home displayed a wide porch, high ceilings, and windows flanked by wooden jalousies. Each room featured mahogany fashioned furniture and area rugs covered stained wood flooring. Walls were decorated with flowery-patterned wallpaper while linen drapery flowed from the windows. The four bedrooms had a view of the picturesque estate grounds and the Bay’s Old River that emptied out into the Caribbean Sea. The kitchen, washroom, and servants’ quarters were located at the back of the main building.  

Its immaculate grounds were landscaped with an English rose garden in the center while the edges of the property featured native flowers and fruit bearing trees.

On the banks of the river Mr. Brodie had a pier and a small grass hut constructed to moor his pleasure boat and temporarily house supplies for his weekend trips to St. George’s Caye.

 

“This estate is spectacular. We should visit your parents every year whenever we are able to do it.”

 

But as they strolled along the opulent surroundings Drake’s mind drifted to a time and a promise he was never able to keep.

“You’re going away to become a man.” 

“I’m going to miss you and Eliza very much.” 

“Ah…when you get over there and see all those pretty ladies you’ll forget.” 

“Never Mamma Edith…I can never forget about you.”  

“Drake…Drake…It seems I’ve lost my trusty guide,” Emilie sighed and closed her parasol.

 

He heard her sigh and his mind came back to the present. “I’m sorry my dear what did you say?”

 

“It’s a warm day. Let’s sit over there by the rose garden. It looks very lovely,” Emilie said taking a hold of his left arm and leading the way. They felt a slight breeze blowing in from the river as they stretched out along a nice wooden bench – Drake on one side with Emilie leaning comfortably against his chest.

 

“You really miss her a lot don’t you. During our tour your mind has often strayed and your eyes tell me how you are feeling.”

 

“Let’s not speak of unpleasant things anymore.” He couldn’t talk to her about Ms. Edith. She didn’t know anything about her and wouldn’t understand. “You know my great-grandfather was once a buccaneer but grew wary of pillaging the Spanish ships so he decided to pillage the land instead.”

 

“So within you lies a rebellious soul.”

 

“Partly…every generation that rebellious spirit diminishes. Still I find that Brodie men believe that some rules are meant to be broken…once in awhile,” he said with a wry smile.

 

“I find your family history quite interesting compared to mine. You’ve always opened my eyes to new worlds and new possibilities and that’s why you’ve captured my heart.” Drake didn’t respond but simply placed a small kiss on her forehead. “Those roses are exquisite,” Emilie said rising to get a better view of the red and white bouquets.

 

“They were planted here especially for my mother. She always loved roses so I was told.”

 

“I wish you would go and see her Drake then I would be introduced as well,” Emilie pleaded turning around and clasping his hands.

 

Drake pulled his hand gently away and said, “My dear that wouldn’t be such a great idea. I prefer to see her alone at first.”

 

“Am I so young and inexperienced that you feel the need to protect me from other parts of yourself?” Her eyes became full. Drake stared into her tear-filled irises stroking her hair. “As your future wife I deserve to know all there is.”

 

“Emilie Rose! Emilie Rose!” She could hear her Aunt Diana calling. Drake’s heart was relieved.

 

“I don’t think your Aunt will take kindly to you running off to spend some alone time with me. I fear this episode might go down on some record she may be keeping.”

 

She kissed him lightly on the lips then exclaimed, “I can’t wait for us to be man and wife! I’m tired of all these silly rules! Like you said some rules are definitely meant to be broken!” she yelled as she left. “I’m coming Aunt Diana!” Drake chuckled. She still reminded him of a vivacious school girl. They were both young but sometimes he felt that he was years ahead of her in maturity and there were still parts of himself that he didn’t want to reveal to her.

 

There were only two persons that knew him better than anyone else ever could. One had died and the other…well his eyes had recently gazed upon the womanly version of the child he left behind.  Those striking chocolate brown eyes – her lips…tempted to trace along its edges with his fingertips but most of all her body curved into…damn Drake why are you having these elicit thoughts…get a hold of yourself. He stood up and took a deep breath before going inside.

 

“Why are your eyes looking outside?” Aunt Bessie asked.

“Watching the sky maybe rain will soon be coming. I can smell it in the air.”  

 

The heat of the day made the kitchen a little unbearable. All one could do was keep the back door ajar and wipe away the sweat periodically. At least the cooking was almost finished.

 

“At last…Matilda! I thought you got lost long the way.”

 

  

Matilda came into the kitchen with sweat streaming down her face trying to catch her second wind.  Eliza brought her a glass of water as she sat down.

“My lawd it hot out there!” She saw the look on Aunt Bessie’s face. “Auntie Bessie before you go down my throat Mr. Lewis got me doing things round the shop.”

 

“I send you to pick up medicine for Mrs. Brodie… not to help round the shop.”

 

“Tell him that!”

 

“No back talk! I’m the wrong one you messing with!” Matilda held her tongue. She was always known for getting into trouble with her tongue but she and Eliza managed to get along well. “I only tolerate your presence because of my son.” She checked the medicine and saw that everything was correct. “I don’t know what’s wrong with you girls today,” she muttered before leaving.

 

 

After regaining her composure Matilda proceeded to put on her apron and took out a bowl, some flour, and a bottle of strawberry jam from the cupboard placing them on the kitchen table. She then went to the counter to get a bottle of milk and some eggs from the basket.

 

“Don’t think I haven’t heard? The witch talk on and on bout Drake coming home.”

 

“She should be happy,” Eliza said her eyes focused on the cooking pot.

 

“When it comes to Drake she never happy?”

“So how you feeling?”

 

“I don’t know what you talking bout?”

 

“I remember you sad for two years after he left.” Eliza smirked. “I know you. The years gone but feeling the same,” she whispered.

 

“You crazy Matilda!” she yelled turning around. “I was a girl when he left. Unlike you I still don’t know much bout men or real life.”

 

“That’ll soon change,” she smiled, “I heard that you and Drake were pretty close.”

 

“Idle gossip… of course we were. He is like my brother. Remember my mother help raise him.” Matilda looked at her strangely causing Eliza to yell again, “Matilda, we have work to do! Besides I have Will to take care of me now.” Will was her new love interest of over a year. He was out working in the mahogany camps.

 

“Will is away,” Matilda replied.

 

“I still think bout him everyday. When he comes home I’m sure we’ll get married and live in Eboe Town,” she said stirring the pot. “Drake is getting married too,” she quickly added.

 

Matilda couldn’t believe it. “What?! I missed that part of the conversation. How does she look?”

 

“She looks like Mr. Barton’s daughter, Helen.”

 

“Humph…I see.” She was giving the dough a good kneading.

 

“You meet her soon enough.”

 

“You two should stop talking and continue your work,” Gloria said entering the kitchen with some serving trays and exiting again.

 

Matilda mimicked after her making Eliza laugh but her tone changed again. “Drake took my mother’s death pretty hard.”

 

“Huh? He just heard bout that? He be looking to someone for comfort…bride or no bride. These white boys love a bit of dark meat before the wedding.”

 

Eliza didn’t like where the conversation was headed again so she said, “Very interesting that you took so long at Mr. Lewis’ shop.”

 

“It’s my business. Just like Drake will be your business…”

 

Evening… 

“Here are your boots Mr. Brodie.”

 

“I see you’ve polished them off nicely. You did a very good job Ezekiel.” Drake retrieved a bag filled with marbles from his half-opened trunk. Ezekiel’s eyes lighted up as he surveyed each marble in turn. It was the best gift he had ever received.

 

  

“Thank you sir! I promise to take good care of them.” 

“They are all yours so you can do whatever you like with them.”

“Ezekiel I’m not as old as my father as yet so at least call me Mr. Drake.”

 

“Ok.”

 

Drake heard voices coming from the downstairs. The evening’s guests were steadily arriving. George and Robert were serving cocktails to each arrival as they greeted one another.

 

Sooner or later he would have to make his grand appearance. Ezekiel handed him his coat after he tied his cravat.

 

“I believe I’m set for the evening so you may go off to bed.” Drake watched as Ezekiel left happily examining his marbles again and again.

 

He confidently walked down the stairs and began greeting the well wishers and old school friends. Emilie basked by his side wearing a white, silk evening dress with hair parted in the center and turned up at the sides.

 

“We’re happy to see you home.”

 

“Well I’m happy to be home.”

“Jonathan, great to see my good friend again,” Drake said giving him a firm handshake and a hug.

 

  

“It’s been too long.”

“And I see you have a beautiful partner at your side.”

“I can say the same about you.” 

Jonathan introduced his wife Amy, a shy, giggly red head while Drake did the same with Emilie. The two ladies exchanged pleasantries.

 

“Everyone please come and take your seats at the dining room table. Dinner will soon be served.” Aunt Bessie announced.

 

A glimpse into the Brodie Mahogany Campsite… 

“All parts of me are aching right now. I think I’m getting too old for this sort of work.”

 

“You know that means back at Mr. Brodie’s place where more work will be waiting.”

 

“Anything compared to this hard life.”

 

“I thought you’d be used to it…after all these years of debt and great job Mr. Amos.” Amos laughed at Will’s conjecture.

 

They were sitting by the campfire while the others were getting ready to turn in. The fire kept away animals such as the jaguar while the smoke helped with the mosquitoes.

 

The ‘hard life’ Amos spoke of called for going to bed early. It was a life that the men expected and had grown accustomed to. Knowledge of coping was passed on from their grandfathers and fathers. Well for most of them.

 

As the fire light danced and the wood crackled Amos reflected. “I never really knew my father.”

 

“Why is that Amos?”

 

“As a slave he ran away to Mexico a long time ago. Remember him being a big, strong man with a deep voice. Till the day she died my mother told me to never fault him for going away. He had a lot of pride and felt helpless not being able to take care of us properly.”

 

“I hope I never feel that way.”

 

“Hey Amos...”

 

“Hey Moses…”

 

“You men still up.”

 

“Yeah just talking bout life...”

 

“Amos you’re talking to my niece’s future husband.”

 

“He finally decided to take that step.”

 

“Will is a good man,” Moses said patting Will on the shoulder.

 

“Eliza very pretty woman,” Amos said giving Will a nudge.

 

“She’s more than pretty. She can take care of a home. All of us men need that in this forsaken existence.”

  

“I believe that you gentlemen need a little more than that,” said a lovely black woman clad in a tight bodice black dress.

 

“Margaret? Didn’t expect you this evening,” Amos said surprised. All the men murmured in the background.

 

“Well the boss man is feeling happy and he let me bring along some ladies.” The men whistled with delight when they saw the rest of the women. “Sorry no rum included you have to work in the morning…just our sweet company.”

 

“I’m too old for this,” Moses said stretching and yawning, “I’m going to bed. You fellows enjoy yourselves.”

 

“Right now I’m not too old for anything,” Amos rebutted forgetting all about his body aches.

 

 

Brodie Estate…

The candles burned brightly and the dinner that started off with pea soup followed by the main entrée of pork and beef served with vegetables…was almost over. Light conversation and laughter could be heard around the large table where Mr. Brodie sat at the head of the table and the ten other guests sipped on red wine and finished off their meal. 

“Look at the beautiful pipe that Drake brought me.”

 

“Emilie helped me pick it out.”

 

“Well I certainly hope it’s a show piece,” Sara said a little perturbed. It seemed that Drake hadn’t thought about bringing her anything. “Father didn’t Dr. Emory tell you to stay away from the tobacco for health reasons?”

 

“As if you want me to live that long,” James responded annoyed. “Drake it’s a great gift. I hardly smoke anymore and that’s good enough.”

 

“How could you not think about the rest of your friends?” Ben said loudly. He was an old school chum of Drake’s and one of the most boisterous.

 

“I thought the French wine at the table would have sufficed,” Drake responded.

 

“Red wine? What about the rum…,” Ben said thereafter trilling an old pirate tune very badly. It made everyone break out into resounding laughter.

 

When the laughter died down Aunt Diana asked, “Mr. Brodie, how does one earn a living in this hot and humid climate?”

 

“Forestry my good lady... My brother Col. Arthur and I are involved in a partnership. He deals with the mahogany camps and I take care of the business end. I also import goods for the colony.” Mr. Brodie glanced at Drake then Emilie sitting side by side…wondering. “So how long have you two been engaged?”

 

“For about a year or so...”

 

“That isn’t correct Drake. It’s been one year and six months,” Emilie said.

 

“It’s been that long? I really hadn’t noticed.”

 

“Our good friend Drake is losing his memory,” Ben chimed in.

 

“It is strange that your son is taking so long to marry my niece.”

 

“Drake does have a way of dragging his feet when it comes to making important decisions. Sometimes I wonder what’s going in that head of his,” Sara said nonchalantly.

 

“And his shameless display with those darkies makes me wonder if he understands the way things are.” Emilie almost choked at her Aunt’s comment. The once merry guests became very quiet.

 

Drake’s mood quickly changed. “Sara, first and foremost things have to be settled in my life,” he argued throwing down his fork. “Unlike your husband I’m not going to place my wife in an absurd situation.”

 

“Hold on just one minute…,” Gregory countered.

 

Drake ignoring him continued, “As for you madam like it or not I consider those persons a part of my extended family. You need to understand the way things are…slavery is over! We are all God’s creatures no matter the color of our skin!”

 

“God made us superior to them. They look to us for training and guidance and we shouldn’t associate with them on any other level.”

 

It was an odd back and forth and the guests prepared for Drake’s rebuttal. His face was flushed with anger.

 

“Madam if you were not Emilie’s Aunt…”

 

“Drake Brodie this is still my home! Show some upbringing!”

 

Drake felt his father’s voice echo inside of him. It calmed him down for the moment but he couldn’t help but think that it was Ms. Edith that raised him certainly not his father.

 

“I’m sorry everyone but I’ve gotten my fill of this evening’s festivities. It was really great seeing all of you but maybe we can do this some other time.” He stood up abruptly and left the table.

 

“Drake!” Emilie yelled and started to rise but her Aunt held her back.

 

“Leave him be and finish eating. It’s not good etiquette for a young lady to chase after a man.” Emilie obeyed but felt embarrassed that her Aunt had been the cause of the cheerless mood.

 

“I sincerely apologize to all present for my son’s offensive behavior,” James said rising and throwing his napkin on the table. “I’ll go request that the servants clear the table so that dessert can be served. Carry on. There is no reason why this evening should end on an unhappy note.”

  

Eliza, Matilda and Gloria were busy washing the dishes and glasses from the earlier service while Aunt Bessie and Ms. Olivia were attending to Ms. Elizabeth upstairs.

 

 

 

Soon George and Robert entered the kitchen with a whole new set of dirtied dishes and collected the dessert trays.

 

“Is this night ever going to end?” Matilda remarked

 

“I’m not feeling well at all,” Gloria said in a tired voice touching her forehead.

 

“Here it comes,” Matilda whispered to Eliza.

 

“My head is hurting and I need to lie down for a little bit.”

 

“Gloria you can’t do that now. Look at all this work and we still need to prepare the drawing room,” Eliza said miffed. Instead of responding Gloria took off her apron and left the room. “Aunt Bessie and Ms. Olivia should have been down here to see this. One of these days I’m going to sock her in the mouth.”

 

“You’re taking too long to do it. I can do it for you…just say the word.”

 

“You love getting into trouble. No wonder my Cousin Matthew enjoys going back to camp.”

 

“Please my husband enjoys all of this brown sugar,” Matilda said sliding her arms up and down her body. Eliza giggled. “You want to know what we do on the night before he left.”

 

“I don’t think I want to hear it right now,” she said still smiling, “There is too much to do.”

 

“Go ahead and take care of the drawing room…I’ll handle the dishes.”

 

Meanwhile…

Jonathan found him seemingly in deep thought. The sorrow had returned again. The more Drake thought about it the more he hated his father for keeping that sad news away from him. He had to go outside and take a deep breath. His jacket and vest discarded he stood on the verandah gazing out as far as his eyes could see. 

“You’re missing dessert.”

 

“I’m not hungry anymore.”

 

“Aunt Diana was clearly out of line but you shouldn’t have given any thought to what she said. She comes from an old way of thinking and will staunchly defend it regardless of what you say.”

 

“Don’t make me laugh Jonathan. We still practice many of those same old traditions today.”

 

“Ok then… she reminds us where we still are. It’s not going to change overnight.”

 

“I just found out today that Ms. Edith passed on two years ago. Father didn’t have the decency to write me about it,” he said disgusted.

 

“Now I understand your reaction more clearly,” he said putting a comforting arm around his shoulders.

 

“I was too caught up with my English affairs that I put off coming home for a visit. You know what she meant to me. Ah…,” Drake sighed. “All those memories are coming back…”

 

“It’s not your fault. Sometimes we neglect those we care about and it costs us. She would want you and Eliza to live on. Are you going to be alright? Amy must be wondering where I am by now.”  

 

“I’m going to be alright. Thanks for being a great friend Jonathan.”

 

Jonathan patted his back and said, “Please grace us with your presence once more. After all it’s your celebration.”

  

Five minutes later…

 

Two slender arms encircled his waist.

 

“I thought you deserved a hug after all that occurred. Aunt Diana can be so cruel sometimes. Sometimes I truly believe that she’s happy when others are unhappy. My mother gave me a poor chaperon substitute.”

 

Drake spun around and gave her a romantic kiss. He thought he had been quite foolish in creating doubts about their relationship when there wasn’t anything really to worry about – wedding jitters. She risked the threat of her Aunt’s chastisement to provide him much needed comfort.

 

“I haven’t received one of those in a long while.”

 

“We both deserved it.”

 

“I believe it’s time to go back inside.”

 

“You should thank your friend Ben for resurrecting the mood of the dinner party.”

 

“One bottle of rum will do.” They both had a good laugh.

 

Emilie assisted him with his vest and jacket and they walked back inside with the palm of his right hand on the small of her back. He caught sight of Eliza as she was about to bend the corner. Suddenly she half-turned and their eyes locked in together. She opened her mouth as if to speak but thought better of it before disappearing.

“Emilie, could you please go ahead me? There is something that I need to take care of.” She gazed at him warily but he allayed her fears with a reassuring kiss. “I’ll join up with everyone real soon.”