Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


She hoped he wouldn’t follow and when he didn’t a relieved sigh past her lips. With the wine glasses and a bottle of sherry already placed in the middle of the center table all that remained to be accomplished was the lighting of the bracket lamps that encircled the room.

 

Drake entered the drawing room seemingly noiselessly but Eliza already received a hint of his presence from the smell of his Eau de Cologne. She braced herself for another encounter as she replaced the last lamp chimney.

 

“I don’t mean to interfere with your work. I just wanted to offer you this gift.” 

 

A sparkling gold locket and chain dangled from his fingers. Eliza turned and approached him cautiously then proceeded to carefully grasped it in the palm of her hand. She refrained from opening its clasp; the detailed engraving of a bouquet of roses on its face was exquisite enough.

 

“A gift for me? It’s very beautiful Drake…thank you….thank you so much.”

 

“I believe you deserve a gift. I didn’t know what to bring for you and Ms E…” Drake’s features changed immediately. “Eliza please…you may be the only one that can say how and why she died,” he pleaded.

 

“Drake, don’t ask this of me. It’s hard for me to speak about that… painful memory,” she replied softly.

 

“In the past you and I could always speak to each other plainly. Ms. Edith was as good a mother-figure to me as she was a mother to you. I don’t why but I need to know…please…”

 

Eliza saw the anguished expression that covered his handsome face and resolved to tell him whatever her mind would bring to bear. She walked passed the piano over to the settee where she seated herself. Drake sat next to her and waited for her chronicle.

 

“All of us believed that it was just a fever. Earlier that morning she had complained of not feeling well and by the afternoon she took to her bed. A couple of days went by and the fever got progressively worst and she became very weak. We applied cold water to her forehead and boiled herbs for her to drink but nothing seemed to work at that time.  She started hallucinating and was even more listless than before. I refused to be moved from her side.”

 

“Didn’t my father send for a doctor?”

   

“Yes he did but when Dr. Emory arrived it was much too late. As Aunt Bessie would say mamma was already traveling on her way home. She began seeing and saying things from her past; talking to people that weren’t present – one of those persons was my grandmother that died so many years ago. The night she saw my father standing at her bedroom door I felt that she was near the end…she said…God help me…”

 

Drake leaned in closer and wrapped his arms around her shoulders as grief took hold of their hearts.

 

“She said…isn’t our daughter, Eliza beautiful…She looked at me smiling and then…she was gone.” Tears flowed freely and Drake squeezed her tightly. “Aunt Bessie was there with me but at that moment I felt so alone. I miss her so much.”

 

“As do I…”

 

Drake lifted her chin and she gazed into his blue eyes filled with sadness perhaps regret. “I’m sorry that I wasn’t here for you.”

 

“It happened so quickly. You couldn’t have sailed home fast enough.”

 

“But still if I had known I would have come and provided some comfort…”

 

Gently cupping the side of her face he closed his eyes and leaned in grazing his tongue against her supple lips. She let out a small sigh…an invitation for him to push his tongue further inside touching his tongue with hers. She tasted of sweet strawberries while he of fine red wine. Letting go they looked at each other confused. Drake dispelled the tension by uttering a low chuckle. Eliza followed his lead.

 

“It’s amazing what momentary grief can do to someone.”

 

“It is but I have no regrets. I’ve missed you very much.”

 

“Neither do I…I’ve missed you too.” He balanced her hands carefully within his and asked, “So may I consider you my good friend again? Imposing on your company from time to time?”

 

“When I first heard you were returning I didn’t know what to expect when I first saw you. I had to be cautious in my behavior towards you.”

 

“Four years do seem like a long time to be far away from home.”

 

“Especially when you are in a different place and those you grew up with are no longer around you.”

 

“I could have never replaced this place, Ms. Edith…you in my memory.”

 

“I see that now. Therefore, yes we are friends again and you may also impose upon my company…within reason,” she smiled, “Still I don’t know what type of friend I may be to you given our situations.”

 

“Eliza, you are speaking foolishly. I have always considered you a great friend and whatever you ask of me I will give it to you even if it means leaving this place.”

 

Suddenly Eliza became apprehensive. This wasn’t the first time he had spoken those words. “Drake I’m happy. The only people and family I have known dwell here. My father and mother are buried here. Why would I want to be anyplace else…”

 

He couldn’t believe for one moment the happy part but did acknowledge that she would feel uncomfortable in an unfamiliar place. Hearing the ladies approaching they resumed their standing positions and bade each other a good evening.   

 

On her way back to the kitchen Eliza stumbled into the chattering foursome that was exclusionary of Aunt Diana who had retired for the evening.

 

“Goodnight ladies.” The others responded the same except Emilie who regarded her with a quizzical eye.

 

“Eliza have you seen my fiancé recently?” She whiffed his familiar scent.

 

“Yes mistress. He is currently in the drawing room.”

 

“A good a place as any to keep a low profile,” Ana Lancaster smiled.

 

“Yes it is,” she said still feeling a bit embarrassed. “Thank you Eliza you may continue onward.” Eliza nodded her head and moved on. Emilie glanced after her and wondered. Thereafter she chided herself for being preoccupied about this servant’s dealings with Drake. He did say that she was like a sister to him.

   

Eliza pulled short of the kitchen and took a slow deep breath. After her talk with Drake her heart felt at ease but was surprised that the memory of their kiss still lingered on her lips. Will has never kissed me in that way. Her fingertips moved upwards to feel its memory and found that the locket was still laced between her fingers. She looked at it once more before depositing it into her apron pocket.

 

 “You took your time in the drawing room,” Matilda observed as she entered.

 

“Sorry I took so long,” Eliza said as she started to clean the plates.

 

“You’ve been up to something and you don’t want to tell me.”

 

“Why you say that?”

 

“Number one you can’t look in me face and number two you smell different.”

 

“Alright Mr. Brodie gave me a hug. He asked me bout mother’s death and I broke down.”

 

“The older or the younger?”

 

“The younger of course…” Eliza responded playing along.

 

“It’s good to have a shoulder to cry on. You have two months to do it.” Eliza just shook her head and went about her business of cleaning.

  

Emilie found Drake already drinking a glass of sherry as she and the ladies entered the drawing room.

 

“Hi ladies,” Drake greeted them casually.

 

“I remember you saying that you’ll be rejoining us in the dining room,” Emilie enquired.

 

“My task took a little longer than I assumed,” he responded reservedly.

“Ladies if you’ll excuse me I’ll join the men in the dining room.”

  

“When I left him a while ago he was feeling much better,” pondered Emilie.

 

“Don’t fret over it Emilie; men have always been a complication,” Ana said as the women seated themselves around the center table.

 

“I must say this has been the most eventful dinner party I have attended in a long while.” Ana’s sister Clara commented.

 

“I believe that we should keep this evening’s events to ourselves or we may never be invited again.”

 

“That’s very true my dear sister…There are very few of us in attendance and Mr. Brodie could easily cast a suspicious eye on anyone of us if knowledge of these events were to be repeated publicly.”

 

Ana poured the ladies each a glass of sherry and requested that Clara entertain them with her piano play. She agreed happily wanting to show off her talents to Emilie.

  

George caught up with Drake in the hallway and said, “Excuse me… Mr. Brodie, your father requests your presence in the study.”

 

The Study… 

“Father, George said that you wanted to see me?” He found James standing behind his desk with a stern look affixed to his face.

 

“Hey Maxwell,” Drake greeted James’ old English bulldog who seemed to remember him very well as he wagged his tail. “Old chap you’re keeping well,” he said scratching its forehead.

 

He found it odd that his sister Sara was also present. His father was definitely going to give them a lecture about keeping up appearances.

 

“It has long been known that the two of you despise each other but I don’t want it being displayed in the presence of mixed company. Two children born of my flesh and yet treat each other like strangers in the streets – but I know full well what this is all about.”

 

“I am the first born of this family and yet Drake is your chief heir just because he’s a man.”

 

“Sara is that all your mind dwells upon?”


“Father the possession of money and property gains one a lot of respect in this colony! You are a member of the Legislative Assembly because of it!” Sara yelled looking very disconsolate. Her father certainly understood this fact to be true. “It is through no fault of my own that I was born a woman?! Is it so wrong of me to want such things? I am your daughter.”

 

“Bravo dear sister…excellent speech. Did you practice long in the mirror before your arrival? If money were a man Sara would get rid of Gregory with a wink and a handshake. We all know why you fancy Gregory over all other suitors.”

 

“I am just as smart and capable as any man!” Sara was livid. “Father, how could you let him speak to me in that manner?! His display at dinner was atrocious and he should be admonished by you more sternly for treating a guest in this house so forcefully.”

 

“Father understood my displeasure! And you had to be the one to add hot coals to the fire!”

 

“Enough of this childish back and forth! I don’t want to hear another condescending word from either of your mouths! This is exactly what I am talking about! For the remainder of Drake’s visit you are both going to behave civilly to one another or so help me I will kick you both out of my will! Do we have an understanding?!”

 

“Of course father…,” Drake said turning up the corners of his mouth into a smile.

 

“Yes father.” Sara felt quite beaten and her issues unresolved. Drake was forever the spoilt child. She had made sure that Gregory was already waiting for her by their carriage. “I’ll take my leave and bid you both a good evening.”

  

“Drake I see you find this situation very amusing.”

 

“Why shouldn’t I? Maybe I should have been born girl and then she wouldn’t hate me as much.”

 

“I will never believe that your sister hates you. She hates the order of things and that is her right.” James also wanted to ask Drake a question. “Have you made a decision about returning to the Bay?”

 

“I haven’t as yet. As you can see Emilie and I will need to have a discussion. I feel that there is still time for me to make that decision.”

 

“Since the news of your upcoming nuptials I fear that there isn’t much time remaining. Either you take up a seat in my company or I look elsewhere.”

 

“Elsewhere being Gregory and Sara…”

 

“Certainly...”

   

“I know he doesn’t want to see me.”

 

“You shouldn’t worry about it Ms. Elizabeth. I’m sure he’ll come and see you,” Aunt Bessie comforted.

 

“My children don’t have any regard for me and why should they. I’m useless to them. I should be locked away in an attic and then they’ll be rid of me once and for all.”

 

“Don’t you want to be around when your grandchildren are born?”

 

“Is Sara with child?”

 

“No but Drake is going to be married soon. His bride-to-be, Emilie has been asking about you.”

 

“Emilie is such a wonderful name but I don’t want her to see me in this condition. It sounds like Drake speaks highly of me.”

 

”You see he does care about his mother.”

 

“I’ll take my medicine now.”

 

Aunt Bessie nodded her head to Ms. Olivia who had stayed around just in case Ms. Elizabeth would prove to be difficult. For now the situation was under control.

  

Dining Room… 

The table was stripped bear and Jonathan, Ben and Thomas sat around its edges conversing and drinking a glass each of Brandy. When they saw Drake enter Ben poured him a glass.

 

“I don’t feel much like drinking this evening,” Drake said sitting down close by Jonathan.

 

“One at least… the mind becomes clearer as the dark liquor swirls around and around.”

 

“I believe the mind grows dimmer and one becomes occupied with slurred speech.” Drake laughed but still accepted the glass and sipped.

 

“Where have you been all this time?”

 

“Receiving a stern lecture from my father and a tongue lashing from my sister…”

 

“Sara will always be the thorn in your side. And that Aunt Diana she’s an old shrew dressed in black,” Ben replied.

 

“Guess who won’t be invited to my home…” All the men agreed.

 

“Emilie is sweet like my Amy and very beautiful.”

 

“You really think so Jonathan.” Jonathan looked at Drake strangely but figured out that Drake was only pulling his leg. They had a small chuckle between them.

 

“How has England been and what have you been doing? Other than getting engaged that is,” Thomas said.

 

“England is far cry from home. It’s filled with culture, fashion and life that move at a faster rate. On one end there are the wealthy socialites and on the other the downtrodden. You might say I lie in between. I’m trying to start up my own business with the monies I’ve saved and building a life for Emilie and I.”

 

“It sounds like you won’t be returning,” Jonathan said.

 

“I haven’t decided. Father is impressing upon me to come back and help run the business.”

 

“What are you going to do?”

 

“I know what I would have done – accept the offer. How many of us have an opportunity to take over such a lucrative venture,” Thomas interjected.

 

“Thomas I’m not my father. He and I believe differently and I don’t know how long we can truly coexist together.”

 

“Then let your sister and her husband have it then. There is no telling how things will go with them at the helm.”

 

“You gentleman bore me. All I want to ask Drake if he has met Queen Victoria and how many women has he bedded during these past four years,” Ben said. He was always the person to give character to a conversation.

 

“Firstly I have never met the queen but I have seen the castle from afar. Secondly a gentleman never kisses or tells about his past affairs but I can say that these ten fingers and toes are insufficient.” The men burst out laughing.

 

“Drake you are such a rogue!” yelled Thomas.

 

“That’s all in the past. It’s time for me to settle down as you have Jonathan.”

 

“Be very careful of your praise Drake,” Ben warned.

 

“As Drake said a gentleman never kisses and tells.” Another outburst of laughter Ben poured another round of drinks although Drake did decline this time.

  

Drawing Room… 

Clara finished her piano recital and Emilie complimented her on her play as she rejoined them at the table.

 

“I must say Emilie that you bear a striking resemblance to Mr. Barton’s daughter, Helen.”

 

“Ana please refrain from mischief making. We’ve had enough for one evening,” Amy boldly retorted.

 

“But its plain as day”

 

“Who is this Helen Barton?” Emilie asked clearly interested.

 

“She was once rumored to be involved with Drake but I don’t believe Drake to be serious minded back then,” Amy answered.

 

“Well I’ve got the man…haven’t I.” The ladies giggled. Emilie certainly could hold her own.

 

Soon they heard men coming in and joining them in the room.

 

“Alright everyone gather round. The hour grows late and I have a tale to tell.”

 

Everyone happily took their respective places. At that time Jonathan was one of the best storytellers in the Bay and he was usually a guest at most parties because of this talent.

 

“Tonight I will tell a tale of why good ladies should always listen to their husbands about not staying up past midnight.” Amy’s cheeks blush bright red.

Here we find Mrs. Grace Kingston – husband Mr. Henry Kingston. Mr. Kingston admonishes his wife to come to bed and refrain from staying up late because she never knows what might occur. I’m neither afraid of man nor beast and besides I’m not out on the streets. I’m here at my own home was her reply. Her husband believes all she wanted to do was spy.Defiantly she sat on her verandah with only her gray cat ‘Boots’ for company. As the hours ticked on she watched the passers by making careful note of Mr. Elliot out and about with pretty Ms. Jane; a woman who was certainly not his wife. 

The guest chuckled amongst each other and Jonathan continued.

The street lamps still blazed and the clock struck one. Suddenly a misty fog appeared and she heard a distinct noise. It sounded like crinoline being brushed against the edges of her Iron Gate heels hitting hard against the cobble stone ground. A lady alone at this hour surely a partner must be at her side unless…At that moment she couldn’t see quite well so she placed ‘Boots’ on the ground and stood up to get a better look.  

Jonathan paused. The ladies yelled anxiously, “What did she see?!”

A lady of course…dressed in velvet her hat laid low over her brow. Mrs. Kingston was concerned of course to see a lady in this mysterious fog out so late without any company. She yelled, it is best that you hurry on home my dear. You never know who might be out in these dimly lit streets. The Velvet Lady didn’t respond but only slowly walked past never turning her head upwards. Mrs. Kingston shrugged her shoulders and decided to retake her seat and didn’t hear the lady again. But wait! What is this? The same exact sound she was hearing again but this time it was faster and louder. The Velvet Lady appeared at her gate. Mrs. Kingston felt the hairs on the back of her head rise as she sat paralyzed to her chair…terrified. The gate flew open with a hard clang and the foggy mist around the Velvet Lady intensified. Mrs. Kingston cowered in fear…unable to speak…unable to move as a horrid face extended a skeletal finger. A ghostly voice replied it is best you heed your own advice and get to bed! Mrs. Kingston could hear a ghastly cackle echoing behind her as she ran under the covers snuggling close to her husband. Nevermore was she seen spying up late. She went to bed promptly at 8. 

That’s all there is…there is no more to tell…

 

The door slammed shut and the ladies screamed.

 

“Ben, you did that on purpose!” yelled Ana.

 

“I certainly did not!” He received the blame because he was standing next to the door.

  

The audience applauded and Jonathan took a bow.

 

“You never fail to amaze me with your great storytelling,” Drake praised.

 

“I thought you would appreciate it.”

 

“I don’t know what time it is but its best that we all try getting home,” Clara said nervously. 

 

“Clara, I’ll protect you from those ghostly creatures,” Thomas offered.

 

“With your cupid’s bow and arrow…Thomas please...”

 

Thomas felt a bit hurt by the rebuff. He was always vying for Clara’s attention but she always viewed him as unworthy of her time and company.

 

“I’m trying my best but I always seem to fail at my attempts.”

 

“I suggest you try the gentleman’s approach,” Drake advised. “A bit of Byron and Keats...” Thomas nodded.

 

Drake and Emilie bid the guests farewell as George and Robert escorted them to their surreys.

 

“I’m going to bed. You’ll give me an escort?” Drake nodded his head yes.

 

He escorted her up by the chamber that she and her Aunt Diana shared for the duration.

 

“Considering everything it was still a good evening. Goodnight my dear.”

 

“Indeed it was. Goodnight my love.”

 

She pursed her lips to receive a kiss but he kissed her on the forehead instead. She stood watching him walk away concerned that a distance was starting to grow between them.

   

The Kitchen… 

“Liza look who coming back,” Matilda whispered mindful of Ms. Olivia’s presence at the other end. They peeked and caught sight of Gloria through the back window. “Watch this…”

 

Matilda carefully took up a basin walked to the backdoor and flung the filthy dishwater through its opening. Gloria screamed.

 

“Who did this?!”

 

“Gloria what happened?” Olivia asked rushing outside.

 

“Mamma someone threw dirty water all over me,” Gloria cried. “Just look at me. I need to change my clothes and take another bath,” she cried childishly.

 

“Ms. Olivia honestly I never notice Gloria coming,” Matilda said simultaneously stifling a laugh. Ms. Olivia glared at her before attending to her daughter.

 

“You’re going to pay for this Matilda!”

 

“Come on child let’s go and get you cleaned up. As for you Matilda I’ll be sure to tell Aunt Bessie what you have done.” It would mean extra chores but given Gloria’s reaction it was definitely worth the punishment.

 

“Mamma I’m wet and cold and smell awful.”

 

Eliza and Matilda burst out laughing and only regained control when they spotted Drake curiously observing them by the kitchen’s front door.

 

“So why are you two so full of happiness?”

 

Eliza cleared her throat and said, “Sometimes it’s good to laugh every now and then. Drake I would like to introduce Matthew’s wife Ms. Matilda.”

 

“It’s good to meet you Ms. Matilda,” he said extending a hand.

 

“Nice to meet you too Mr. Brodie...” Matilda noticed Drake speaking to her but his attention was clearly focused on Eliza.

 

“Call me Drake. Eliza, could I please have a word with you?”

 

Eliza followed and as he led her around the corner she asked, “Drake what…” Before she could finish her question he planted a sweet kiss on her lips and smiled.

 

“Goodnight Eliza.” He left smiling leaving a surprised Eliza standing speechless.