Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Eliza’s slow walk back to the kitchen was marked with the question as to why Drake had kissed her for the second time that evening. His first kiss had already made a clear impression but now she had no words to describe how his latest kiss was making her feel…maybe lightheaded was the word.

 

“He’s a nice chap and very friendly. So what he want?”

 

Eliza tried clearing her mind before responding. “I don’t remember.”

 

Matilda chuckled to herself then said, “Hmmm…I noticed him looking at you. Better watch out.”

 

“Matilda…you seen Emilie and you see me…no comparison.”

 

“Beauty come in many different colors. You never seem to realize how pretty you look.”

 

Eliza didn’t have time to look in the mirror much less worry about how beautiful she appeared to others. During those days where did beauty get a common household servant? …In the bed of the master of the house and under the jealous scrutiny of the master’s wife…

 

“Matilda let’s go to bed. We need all our strength tomorrow.”

 

“For those extra chores,” Matilda said sarcastically.

 

Tired bodies with candles in hand paced themselves up the wooden stairs to Eliza’s modest bedroom that contained two small beds, a couple of chairs and an old dresser.

 

“How you handle Matthew being away?” Eliza asked as they changed into their sleeping garb.

 

“The English very funny. They preach bout family and yet they send our men away for ten months.” She paused to think about it a little then said, “I handle it the best way I can. I’m still a woman that have needs ever now and then.”

 

“I don’t think I can do that.”

 

“You can and you will! This is the hand we given. We no ask for it but we have to live it.”

 

“I no say nothing gainst you Matilda.”

 

“I know that. Sometimes you just need a man to hold you…touch you…make you feel wanted. As time pass you see what I’m talking bout.”

 

Morning… 

Breakfast Room… 

“Drake, did you sleep well last night?” Emilie enquired.

 

“I slept as well as I could have. Thank you for asking,” he responded cracking a smile before returning to his breakfast of eggs, ham, sausages, buttered toast and hot English tea. So much for conversation….she noted that he didn’t inquire about her repose.

 

Drake sat across from Emilie and her Aunt while his father James’ attention was focused on his office papers that were spread out in front of him.

 

Emilie tried her best to strike up polite conversation but the chasm between Drake and her Aunt still remained and James didn’t seem to be in the talkative mood. The eerie silence was soon broken by the entrance of Ms. Olivia who brought an invitation for Emilie.

 

“It’s an invitation to Afternoon Tea at Amy’s house,” she said delighted.

 

“I’m sure you’ll enjoy it my dear.”

 

“After breakfast we should write a reply accepting the invitation,” Aunt Diana replied.

  

“Drake I thought that you and I should go to the office today.”

 

“After I’ve retrieved my coat, I’ll join you by the carriage.”

 

“You have ten minutes,” James cautioned.

  

Wash House… 

Gloria happened to walk past and caught Eliza slaving over a washboard and tub with a large amount of clothing heaped up next to her. Normally this task was performed on the weekends with two persons.

 

It was a surprise to see Eliza because she had really expected to see Matilda.  

 

“I’m glad to see that you’re taking your friend’s punishment.”

 

“I would gladly take on any punishment just to see you crying for Ms. Olivia like a little baby.”

 

“A ‘black wench’ like you needs very little to enjoy yourself.”

 

“You considered yourself ‘favored’,” Eliza smirked, “the little coloring you have doesn’t do anything in the eyes of the English. Take a look in the mirror and you’ll see yourself a ‘black wench’ just like I am. If you’ll excuse me I have a lot of work do you.”

 

“And so do I!”

 

Like walking around

 

  

As Gloria walked towards the front entrance she saw Drake headed in her direction.

 

“Good Morning Mr. Brodie. You are looking impressive today.”

 

“Thank you Gloria. I’m on my way to the office with my father but I also thought that I would say good morning to Eliza. Is she still in the wash house?”

 

“Yes she is. I must say that good servants aren’t common these days and you need a stern hand to keep them in line.”

 

“Are you implying that Eliza is an inadequate servant and this is why she is presently in the wash room?!” Gloria was caught off guard by his vexed tone.

 

“That’s not what I’m implying,” she said quickly.

 

“Then please shed more light on your statement because I can certainly vouch for her excellent service to my family throughout the years. Why exactly is Eliza being punished?”

 

“I’m not sure if she is being punished. You need to ask Aunt Bessie.”

 

“Gloria I have known you as many years as I have known Eliza. I am very disappointed by your curt comment about her service. I don’t want to hear you use those same words about her performance ever again!”

 

“I’m sorry…sorry if I offended anyone. I hope this episode does not damage our cordial relationship.”

 

Drake didn’t say anything more but only glared at her.

  

“Drake, come along! The hour grows late!” He heard his father yell.

 

He spun around and walked towards the carriage where George, Max and his impatient father were waiting. He glimpsed Ezekiel staring at him from the verandah and called upon him to join them. He was intent on changing his father’s opinion on where Ezekiel should be in the next two years – mainly having a job at the company instead of working at the mahogany campsite.

 

Gloria looked on as the carriage wound its way to front of the property and then disappeared down the road.  She felt wary about her conversation with Drake. It seemed that four years apart and a fiancée hadn’t changed his opinion about Eliza. She had to find a way to get back in his good graces.

 

“Gloria has Drake left already?” Emilie asked as she walked forward.

 

“Yes Ms. Livingstone.”

 

And he didn’t even say goodbye…   

 

Gregory was just opening the store and heard the horses passing by. He took a quick glance outside.

 

“There goes your father and brother off to the office.”

 

“My father means to torment me with Drake’s presence,” Emilie responded as she dusted.

 

“Maybe we should stop thinking about your father’s company and continue to work on making our store a success.”

 

“Gregory, have you lost your spirit? James Brodie and Company is rightfully my legacy. This little corner store can never rival its prestige. Drake is building his own life in England and the sooner he returns the better it will be for the both of us.”

 

“Better for whom? You or I?”

 

“You mustn’t speak that way. I’m thinking about our futures.”

 

“Our futures may not lie in your father’s company. I wonder which you care about more…me or that damn company!”

 

“Gregory…of course I care about you!”

 

He hadn’t heard what she said. He already went off to the back room.

 

 

Noon Brodie Residence… 

“You should never take my punishment.” Matilda said handing Eliza a corn beef sandwich. She had finished the washing and some of the clothes were lying in the wicker basket.

“It no matter. You can help with the ironing later.”  

“Eliza I have something to tell you.” Eliza looked at her puzzled.

 

“Would you believe Gloria suddenly help me in the kitchen. She do everything I ask her and no say nothing.”

 

“God must have touch her heart.”

 

“Or the devil pinch her backside.” They laughed. “Did you see Mr. Drake this morning? He was asking for you.”

 

“Huh…me never see him. Probably see him later.”

 

“Maybe me leave you two alone tonight,” she said slyly.

 

“Matilda, get out of here!” Eliza yelled splashing some at her as Matilda ran back to the kitchen.

  

 

 

By the time 5:00 arrived it was time for the long rows of bed linens, curtains and clothes to be taken down from the line and set aside for ironing. As she started to carry out her task she saw Drake approaching. He had just returned from a long day at the office which he considered both intriguing and boring. The meeting with the traders; going over commodities and pricing was very interesting but the daily accounting was rather tedious.

 

“Time caught up with me or I would have greeted you earlier this morning.”

 

“Drake, there is no need to explain. We all have busy lives to lead. You look tired.” 

 

“It isn’t anything to concern yourself over. My day is lacking considerably in workload compared to yours. I heard you were under some punishment. What were you being punished for?”

 

“I’m being punished for something that happened yesterday evening.” It was all she offered.

 

“It seems that no one wants to inform me about the sorted details. Therefore my only other question would be… has the punishment concluded?”

 

“It’s not quite over. There is still the ironing left to do.”

 

“Eliza you’ll perform no such task,” he emphasized. “I’ll have a word with Aunt Bessie,” he winked, “you may return to the kitchen.”

 

Soon after his talk with Aunt Bessie he went off to the tavern to relax with his friend Jonathan and some their friends.

 

Gloria was very upset when she found out that she assigned to complete Eliza’s workload but Eliza and Matilda were both thrilled.  

 

 

It was close to midnight and all the plates, cutlery, glasses, pots and pans were carefully stored away. The kitchen was spotless. Eliza sat at the table alone sipping a cup of tea before going to bed.

 

“May I have a cup?”

 

Drake’s voice broke the calm and at first she was startled as he stood unabashed in his nightshirt holding a lit candle.

 

Eliza regained her composure and said, “Your second evening at home and you can’t sleep. Some things really don’t change.” She felt embolden not to grant his request. “I’m sorry Drake but I’ve only heated water for one cup of tea.”

 

“Then this will have to do.” He took her cup and gulped down the rest of her tea before returning it to its saucer.

 

“Drake…,” she said irritated. He only smiled and placed his candle on the table before sitting down.

 

“I should say thank you for releasing me from that arduous task.”

 

“I thought that the punishment really didn’t fit. It was an honest mistake.”

 

“Yes it was…,” she said not fully committed to her words.

 

“You’re up pretty late.”

 

“It comes with my occupation.”

 

“Your occupation is all there is for you?” he asked glancing around the kitchen. “Don’t you have someone in your life?”

 

“Being a servant isn’t all there is. Just like you I do have someone in my life but presently he’s away at the mahogany campsite.” Noticing the change in her demeanor made him see something that he didn’t like... her delight in someone else. She continued, “My Uncle Moses introduced me to a fine young gentleman named Will and I believe that when he returns we will be married,” she gleamed, “Well Drake goodnight…again and thanks for your assistance today. I’m off to bed.”

 

“Aunt Bessie told me that you weren’t in the wrong. On your own you decided to stand up for a friend and take her punishment.”

 

“I guess you believe that I shouldn’t have done so given the task.”

 

“I believe that you have grown into a very admirable and generous young woman.” She felt elated by his compliment.

 

“Thank you. You’re very kind.”

 

Eliza untied her headscarf and shook her unbraided strands loose. Her dark locks cascaded around her shoulders. Drake gazed at her awestruck…unable to move.

 

“I’ve noticed that you haven’t worn your locket as yet,” he said in a hollow tone as she took off her apron. Hearing him mention the locket made her retrieve it from her bosom.

 

“I keep it close to my heart but this piece is too exquisite for servant’s wear Mr. Brodie.”

 

“Still may I see if I chose correctly?”

 

“You may but you will have to place it around my neck.”

 

He stood and walked behind her. She handed him the locket and lifted up her strands. Standing behind her he felt a desire creeping deep inside him.

 

“Let’s see how…” It almost slipped from his fingers.

 

“Are we nervous Mr. Brodie?”

 

“I’m very nervous standing behind a beautiful woman,” he whispered.

 

His breath caught on the nape of her neck and it sent a tingle coursing through her entire body. It made her become uneasy but she soon recovered. “Doth charm too well,” she said with a small laugh.

 

“There it’s finished.”

 

She let her hair down and he moved to her front. “So how does it look?” she asked anxiously.

 

“Simply Radiant,” but his eyes never let her gaze until she moved them away. “You should see it for yourself. There’s a mirror in my room,” he offered.

 

“Drake it doesn’t seem proper for a female servant to enter a gentleman’s room at night,” she scolded.

 

“If you are unable to trust me…”

 

“It’s not that I’m unable to trust you,” she quickly responded lightly touching his forearm.

 

“I promise to look around to see if anyone is lurking. Eliza I will never allow anyone to question your character.”

 

She finally agreed and he restrained whatever male desire that was starting to take over. He respected her a great deal and wouldn’t want her to feel uncomfortable around him.

 

Their journey to his bedchamber was uneventful – the household was seemingly at rest. Drake’s and his father’s rooms were located at the other end of where the ladies’ rooms were situated.

 

He quietly let Eliza inside his bedroom and she found a small mirror propped up on his dresser.

 

“It is beautiful,” she said moving her fingers along the locket.

 

“Do you agree that you wear it well?” She nodded her head in agreement. As she turned around she noticed him looking at her as if he wanted to ask her something but was unwilling to do so.

 

“Drake, is there something else?”

 

“I haven’t had a chance to really talk to you.”

 

“Ok I’ll stay… just for a little while.”

 

During their younger years there were a few nights when they would stay up and talk while laying on his bed.  To outsiders it would appear to be unusual but to them it was very natural.

 

“Aunt Bessie told me that you haven’t seen Ms. Elizabeth as yet. Why haven’t you gone to see her?”

 

“I will ok…after all she is my mother. Ask me something else.”

  

“How did you meet your beloved Emilie?” She asked as they gazed upwards at his bed’s canopy.

 

He thought that was an easier question and responded, “We met at a coming out Ball. It’s where all the young ladies of marriageable age congregate to meet eligible bachelors… like myself.”

 

“It is quite fortuitous that she resembles Helen in her features.”

 

“Just because Helen broke my heart does not mean that I took father’s offer because of it Eliza,” he quickly defended. He should have known that her question was a gateway to an assumption she was carrying about his leaving.

 

“I should believe you because…,” she said turning to face him.

 

“Alright…,” he responded looking across at her. “Sometimes I don’t even believe my own words. Here it goes…I went away partially because of Helen but not wholly because of her.” Eliza felt redeemed in her assumption. “Go ahead and congratulate yourself for knowing me too well.”

 

“It’s really not fair to Emilie if you don’t love her in the same manner that she loves you.”

 

“Life is not fair but I’m not really trying to hurt her. The English don’t marry for love totally. There is also practicality.”

 

“Practicality now there’s a word. So…do you believe that she is going to make a good wife to you?”

 

“Do you believe that Will is going to make you a good husband?”

 

“A question with a question…hmmm…I certainly do believe that he will make a good husband.”

 

“How could he be such an attentive husband when he’s always away at camp?”

 

“Its through no fault of his. Drake you know the system that we are forced to live under. Why would you say such words against a man you have never met?” she whispered harshly. She attempted to leave but he held her arm.

 

“Eliza you are right in saying that I shouldn’t have said anything against a man I don’t know anything about. Please forgive me.”

 

“Once you ask it of me then I will forgive you.”

 

“Then we may continue our conversation?”

 

“We may. There is one thing that puzzles me about your actions last evening.” Drake looked at her questioning. “Why did you kiss goodnight? Is this some custom that you picked up in England?”

 

“Perhaps…but I say that your lips invited me to kiss them.”

 

“That’s the daftest thing I’ve ever heard!” she exclaimed. “Ok tell me what are my lips saying at this moment?”

 

He thought she was beseeching him for this response. “Kiss them again.”

 

He pulled her into a soft kiss that turned long and lingering. She didn’t break it off or turn him away instead she fell under the magic of his tongue intertwined with hers. Suddenly Drake gently pushed her away.

 

“Eliza…again forgive me…I shouldn’t have taken advantage.”

 

“You are not taking advantage of me. I wanted you to kiss me as you have been doing…repeatedly,” she smiled. “I enjoy your lips being so close to mine and the taste of wine as our tongues dance together.”

 

She was aiming to try something more as she slid off the bed and started undressing. It was a bold move and he gaped at her in shock disbelief when her nakedness was relieved.

 

“Body amazing…,” he whispered mesmerized eyes riveted by her beauty. Gone was the gangly teenager of four years ago – standing before him was a goddess.

 

He soon joined her shucking away his nightshirt and drawing her into a passionate kiss.

 

Letting go she whispered softly, “no promises need to be made between us.”

 

They landed softly back unto the bed. He started trailing kisses from her lips, down to her neck, suckling her erect areoles which made her moan and then lingered around her thighs.

 

“Drake…what…what are you doing?”

 

“Hasn’t a man ever brought you to pleasure’s gate before attaining his own?” He paused and questioned.

 

“I don’t know of what you speak.”

 

“There is much to teach you.” Eliza became a willing pupil...eager to learn whatever lessons he was about to convey.

 

His tongue began working feverishly down below and her body responded in ways she had never quite experienced before. It was an incredible sensation. Then instantly another feeling came over her. Inaudible words escaping her lips…a sense of her body soaring up to new heights and then coming down back down to earth…her juices flowed… Ah sweet, sweet release. 

He drank from her wine thoroughly satisfying himself. He came up beside her caressing the side of her cheek. 

“Eliza, you enjoyed that lesson,” he said seductively capturing her swollen lips which allowed her a taste of her essence. “Because I so enjoyed giving it to you.”

 

“Teach me some more…there is still much I need to learn,” she whispered harshly. His arousal lied heavily on her abdomen.

 

He proceeded to continue the lesson by slipping effortlessly inside of her and fondling her sensitive tips. She cried out in rapt pleasure feeling her body stretched to accommodate his huge length.

 

A gratified expression was affixed upon his face as he pulled in and out of her at first slowly and then even more intensely. All the while the most fulfilling sexual experience was already waiting for me and I couldn’t see or imagine that it could be Eliza.   

Rhythms and bodies converging as one but all too soon it must come to a pleasurable ending. The echoing of their climax resounding through the room and quickly he pulled out spilling his seed on the small of her stomach.

 

They stared at each other momentarily lacking the ability to communicate.

 

“It has been a wonderful evening but I must leave you now. You have been a great teacher and I shan’t forget all you have taught me.”

 

“Stay for just a little while longer.”

 

“Drake like I said earlier – there are no promises between us.”

 

He let her go and looked on stoically as she cleaned herself off and dressed. He only got up to walk her to the door where they gave each other a parting kiss.

 

He stood still naked staring at the empty bed…all logical thoughts fled his mind. He tried thinking about what just happened but it couldn’t be explained. And why should it be explained. The answer came simply…Emilie.

 

He walked over to his window, pushed aside the curtains and opened it. The cool night air touched his face and he breathed.

  

“Bloody Hell! What am I going to do?”  

  

Unknowingly someone caught sight of Eliza exiting Drake’s bedroom and was none too pleased.