Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


As silently as she could she crept into her bedroom. Having memorized her dresser’s location it was easy to find it and search within its compartments for a change of attire. She made it her duty not to wake a sleeping Matilda whom she heard snoring lightly.

 

Down the stairs and into the moonlit backyard with the sound of crickets chirping noisily… The servants’ bath house was located ten paces from where they slept and she had to fetch a pail of water from the outside pump to start her bath. Call it a standing shower without all the modern conveniences – all one had to use was a bucket of water and a dipper for scooping. As she started to bathe it and her washcloth traveled along her torso it suddenly dawned on her that something was missing from around her neck…the locket.

  

After returning from washing himself Drake slipped back into bed mentally replaying the passion he had just shared with Eliza only moments ago. Skin to skin, lips and tongues entwined…him being inside her and enjoying every pleasurable second. Reliving it was all so wonderful and yet confusing. His second night at home and Eliza was dominating his mind instead of Emilie.

 

“I’m engaged to be married to a beautiful woman…but damn Eliza,” he muttered to himself. No promises between us…her sound bite echoed briefly. He calmed himself realizing that sleep would be best remedy for his wavering conscious.

 

It was only when he moved his left hand over the bed’s surface that he happened upon the misplaced locket. He encircled it around his fingers observing that one of its loops had split in two.

 

“A night of passion could make things seem ordinary,” he said softly. He pledged to have it repaired before returning it to her.

 

Eliza climbed the stairs thoroughly disappointed that she had misplaced the locket and feared what would become of it if someone other than Drake would find it. What would Drake regard her if he found out that she was so careless with his gift?

 

“How was it?” Eliza was stunned to see Matilda sitting up and leaning her head against her metal bed frame. Her eyes instantly started shifting around trying to figure out a credible response. “No tell me no story Eliza.”

 

“You going to braid me hair tomorrow?”

 

“Yes and you still no answer me question. Why? Is it because me tell you so? You smell fresh and clean after giving yourself a good wash.”

 

You could hardly get anything past Matilda and her small diversion wasn’t fooling anyone. Eliza sighed and went over to the bed to sit beside Matilda.

 

“I should feel bad but I don’t.”

 

“Why should you feel bad? Those men do nuff at mahogany camp. Anyway I shouldn’t say nothing bout that because they need it more than we do.”

 

“Still…it was me who start it.” Matilda opened her mouth wide then covered it. “It no funny…more like shameful. He there smelling good and we so close...”

 

“Couldn’t help yourself. Was it…good…”

 

“Very…very…good. Thought me some new things. After all I believe Drake have some black in him.” Matilda fell backwards laughing.

 

“Hush…or you’ll wake everybody.” Matilda covered her mouth. “Gal go back go sleep.”

 

“Poor me I no have those sweet dreams.”

 

“I’ll dream enough for both of us.”

 

 

 

5:30 a.m.  …  

The rays of the sun peaking from behind the clouds and the sound of birds twittering in the trees…it was the beginning of a new day and whatever was to come.    

As they walked into the kitchen Matilda continued her taunting of Eliza. Eliza would playfully push against her trying to make her stop.

 

Aunt Bessie stood silently by awaiting their arrival.

 

“Morning Eliza…Matilda,” Aunt Bessie said.

 

“Morning,” they both replied.

 

“Eliza your presence is being requested in the drawing room right away.”

 

“Alright…”

 

 

Aunt Bessie’s voice sounded very serious and Eliza’s mind started racing as she started her slow walk. It couldn’t be Drake asking for her because he would have just come to the kitchen area. Who else could it be? Maybe Emilie… Somehow she had found out even though they had been careful or so they thought. Her heart took off from where her mind left off. She hated this feeling…a fear that struck at her very core. Hadn’t she warned herself about this and judged Gloria because of it….judge not

 

She had reached the wide doors and opened it cautiously. Stepping inside her eyes finally gazed upon the person who had felt it necessary to have her summoned at such an early hour…Ms. Diana Livingstone. This revelation was both shocking and disturbing at the same time. Eliza felt her mouth go dry and her palms sweaty. The other servants had already spoken about Ms. Diana’s sore temperament towards them. 

Ms. Diana, dressed in her usual black attire, stared at her icily as she sat on the settee her hand resting against a black cane. Eliza quietly closed the door behind her and stood straight with her arms secured at her side.

 

“Eliza is your name child?” Her question engendered little warmth.

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

“Eliza let’s get to the point of requesting your presence. What were you doing in Mr. Drake Brodie’s bedchamber at such a late hour last night?” Momentarily Eliza stared at her horrified. “Answer Me!” Her voice boomed across the room but Eliza stood refusing to say another word. “Your silence makes everything very clear.”

 

“Since emancipation you coloreds really don’t know your places in society. Where would you be if Mr. Brodie hadn’t provided your family with a roof over your heads and good food to eat? I’ll tell you where – out on the streets like common animals.”

 

Eliza’s body twitched. Where would Mr. Brodie be if their services weren’t available to take care of a sick wife and motherless children? She thought.

 

“This is how you repay such a respectable gentleman – taking advantage of his son…my niece’s fiancé?” This had turned into one of those long-winded speeches. “Observing your Aunt Bessie I believed that you would have common decency and respect for yourself…obviously I was sadly mistaken. I hope you realize what will be the outcome of any supposed relationship between you and Drake… ”

 

“Drake and I are merely friends,” she replied softly.

 

“Speak Up!”

 

“I said Drake and I are friends. Whatever occurs between us is none of your concern!”

 

“Why you impudent beast! How dare you speak to me in such a disrespectful tone?” Ms. Diana yelled striking the cane heavily against the carpeted floor.  

 

“Respect is given when it is deserved! Ms. Diana you don’t deserve my respect!” Eliza whirled around and exited the room leaving Ms. Diana very disconcerted.

 

The need to getaway immediately made her shoes stomp nosily upon the floor. She didn’t care what sort of discipline lied in her future Ms. Diana didn’t have the right to speak to her as if she were a dog begging for scraps to be thrown her way. She had worked very hard to earn every little bit of respect that the Brodies had given to her and she intended to keep holding her head high.

 

“Oh…” She bumped into Drake who noticed her angry disposition.

 

He gripped her arms and asked, “Eliza what’s going on?”

 

“I don’t want to talk about it. Drake would you please let me go,” she replied struggling against his grasp.

 

“Not until you tell me what’s wrong.”

  

“Eliza come back here and apologize this instant!” Ms. Diana yelled as she cracked open the door.

 

Eliza glared at him and he let go. It was his responsibility to diffuse this situation.

 

“Eliza!”  

“There is no need to yell Ms. Livingstone. This is a quiet residence and not a marketplace,” he said as he stepped inside the room. She stepped back and frowned.

 

“How dare you speak as such to a person who is your senior in years?”

 

“I am far from causing offense to you Ms. Livingstone. Haven’t I addressed you by your proper title? This is the second time that you have caused me displeasure and I would be very pleased if you discontinued such behavior. You have already upset our household staff and it is only at my father’s behest that I haven’t approached you earlier.”

 

“You mean to put me in line? I am not a commoner!”

 

“So far your behavior gives merit to that notion,” he responded calmly. “Is it a habit of yours to berate hard working individuals?”

 

She turned and walked to the settee where she seated herself. “Enlighten me Mr. Brodie…what was Eliza doing in your room last night?”

 

“I am my own man and I shouldn’t have to answer you but I will try to ease your tortured soul as best as I could. Eliza has always been a part of my family. We practically grew up together and have shared many late night conversations over the years.”

 

“It seems very odd that she would have to creep from your bedchamber if it is as innocent as you claim.”

 

“I was the one who insisted that she come to my room,” he responded in a raised voice. “If you want to be upset with anyone then it should be me and me alone!”

 

“Emilie’s happiness is my primary concern!”

 

“And you believe that by casting aspersions and assuming secret rendezvous that this will help to allay her fears.”

“Discontinue from sticking your upturned nose into my private affairs or it may bring about negative consequences for your niece! Mark my words she will place the blame squarely on your shoulders. I’ll make sure of it...,” he said harshly.

 

“Humph…,” Ms. Diana stood up abruptly and walked towards the door.

 

“There is one more thing that I must impress upon you. You will never again be the cause of Eliza’s malcontent. Do we understand each other?”

 

“Perfectly…,” she forced past her lips.

 

 

 

Meanwhile…  

Eliza thought about the bedlam that she had created and had resigned herself to leave the household. She paced back and forth as Aunt Bessie and Matilda looked on bewildered.

 

“What has gotten into you?” Aunt Bessie asked

 

“That woman had no right to say what she said to me. I had to speak.”

 

“Eliza what did you say?”

 

“Ms. Diana will tell you all about it.”

 

“The Brodies put me in charge of this house. How does it look when my own niece is out of control? It is not our place to talk back to these people.”

 

“Why because they still our masters?”

 

“Because we still need them to earn a living and survive…”

 

“It better for everyone that I leave. I’ll come back when they go. They’ll accept that punishment. She no want see my face around here again.”

 

“No Eliza…,” Matilda pleaded.

 

“And go where? Until you married you still my responsibility.” Eliza sighed heavily and sat down at the table placing her hands at the side of her temples. “I’ll go see what Ms. Diana have to say and then we can talk. Matilda make sure that breakfast get served. Gloria will be coming by soon.”

 

 

 

  

“This my fault Matilda. Ms. Diana find out bout last night. I still no know how cause she no tell me.”

 

“Oh me lawd.”

 

 

Gloria came into the kitchen and glared at the both of them with a wry smile. It was good to see Eliza miserable and Matilda unable to provide comfort.

 

The room suddenly became very quiet and all that could be heard were different items being assembled on the breakfast trays. Before long their task was completed and they exited the kitchen. 

 

 

    

“So the old biddy found out about our enjoyable evening spent with one another,” he whispered by her ear touching her tense shoulders.

 

“I shouldn’t have allowed it to happen. She’s probably going to give her niece all the sorted details.”

 

Drake pulled a chair beside her and said, “First off Ms. Livingstone doesn’t have a clue about what occurred between us and I have warned her about speaking to Emilie. Does that ease your mind?”

 

Once again Drake had come to her rescue but this time she wasn’t as thrilled as before.

 

“My mind is far from being eased. Drake I’m not blaming you…I totally blame myself for allowing it to go too far.”

 

“We didn’t do anything wrong Eliza.”

 

“Yes we did. We both are involved in committed relationships. I have much more to lose than you ever will.”

 

That last comment touched his heart because regretfully he hadn’t given it much thought. He held Eliza in a very high regard but he had to admit others looked at her differently. The stakes were much higher for her than they would ever be for him.

 

“If that part of our relationship must end then it must but we can still talk and socialize as friends…right?”

 

“I’m not sure. Being around you now feels very different….it’s very confusing.”

 

“I don’t want our friendship to end because of a supposed indiscretion,” he said taking her hand and squeezing it gently. It was starting again…wanting to be so close to him and not pushing him away. “You’re not the only one that is in a state of confusion. Eliza I’m starting to…”

 

 

“Drake aren’t you coming to breakfast. Your father sent me to find you,” Emilie said. Drake turned around and nodded his head before pushing his chair away and standing up. There was that momentarily feeling again. It happened when she first saw them talking together – like she had interrupted.

 

“My Aunt has decided to take breakfast in her room this morning.”

 

“The first good news of the morning...,” he said kissing her hand.

How could he kiss her hand after touching mine. 

“I was under the impression that you two had an earlier conversation,” she said encircling her hand around his waist.

 

This is torture… 

“Your Aunt has her way handling situations and I have mine. I fear that we are…”

 

Their voices trailed off and Eliza was happy that they were gone. She rested her throbbing head on the kitchen table.

 

“What’s wrong with me? I have no right to be jealous.”

 

 

Breakfast Room… 

“I’m glad to see that you have decided to join us.”

“It seemed that like he was comforting Eliza,” she said as Drake pulled out her chair and she sat down. 

“My son cares a great deal about our household staff.”

 

“His gentle spirit is one of the things I like most about him,” she smiled. A crooked smile was his response.

 

 “Drake I am planning on going to St. George’s. I have asked Emilie and her Aunt to go along and they have both said yes.”

 

“I don’t think that I’m able to,” he replied buttering his toast. Matilda almost spilled his tea and hurriedly excused herself from the room. Gloria followed behind.

 

“Drake is this because of my Aunt? I wish you would come along because of me and stop thinking about her.”

 

“My decline doesn’t have anything to do with your Aunt. I’ve seen the island oft enough. My dear you will be seeing it for the first time and that’s why you should go along.”

 

“How could I possibly enjoy myself if you are not there with me?” Her question begged comfort.

 

“There will be many occasions in our marriage when we are not together in one place.”

 

“I guess that during this visit I’m being taught that lesson well!” She threw down her napkin and excused herself.

  

“I’d rather we don’t go into any discussion about my situation father.”

 

“I just wonder what you would have done if were Helen sitting across from you instead of her imitation.”

 

Drake looked across at his father…a bit stunned by his statement. Then again why should he be…Still he had to be a considerate fiancé.

  

He found her in the entryway leaning against the side of the wall lost in thought.

 

“Emilie you were right. It will be your first time visiting the island and I should be there with you.”

 

Her features immediately changed and a wide grin came across her face. “Oh Drake you have made me so happy!” she yelled hugging him tightly.

 

“It’s a part of my duty to make you feel happy,” he responded sincerely but a part of him couldn’t help but think about Eliza being in his arms…”We should go and pack a few things for the journey.”

 

“You know I haven’t really thought about that.” She caught sight of Gloria. “Gloria you could help me pick out some outfits to wear.”

 

“Of course…”

 

 

 

Moments later… 

Eliza and Gloria were busily fixing ham sandwiches for the boat trip when Aunt Bessie approached them.

 

“I went to Ms. Diana and she said it was all a misunderstanding.” Drake had really come through for her once again…”I saw him just now walking up the stairs with Ms. Emilie. It looks like everything is alright with those two.”

 

Matilda glanced at Eliza for a reaction but saw none forthcoming. Must have misjudged her feelings towards him. Aunt Bessie left them to attend to her own duties.

 

“After we finish I can braid your hair.”

 

“Sounds good…” she responded nonchalantly.

 

“This day in fact this whole week has been full of drama.”

 

“It has…”

  

It was also time for her to finally accept how their lives were meant to be separate. When she and Drake were children life was much easier for them – you can be together without others questioning why. As adults rules became much more pronounced and innocent feelings turn into something more real and ultimately forbidden. She didn’t need anymore complications in her life.

 

“So good that things will be back to normal…”

  

 

 

Two hours later… 

With most of the household away the workload was much lighter and was easily completed. Matilda and Eliza were sitting comfortably on the back steps. It was good to get a much needed break after enduring a troubling week.

Eliza was running her fingers through her neatly braided tresses when they say Ezekiel coming towards them from around the corner of the house.

 

“Ever since Mr. Drake give Ezekiel those marbles he carry them round like gold.”

 “At least we could say he responsible.” Unlike someone she knew…really careless to have misplaced that locket.

“Ms Eliza…Ms Eliza…Mr. Drake say to give this to you.”

Ezekiel had handed her a small white envelope before scurrying away. At first she hesitated but then decided to open it. It contained a note which read:

My Dear Eliza, 

I’ve thought about what you told me earlier but I still believe that we need to converse. I’ll be home before nightfall. Wait for me by the pier.   

Forever your Drake 

 

“Eliza what does it say?”

 

“Trouble…”