Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Immediately after his arrival back to the island Drake entered the unoccupied drawing room searching for anything to relieve his broken heart. He found it fairly quickly - an unopened bottle of Jamaican rum...who needed a glass...a shot straight up and everything would be fine. It burned going down but at least it drew his thoughts away from the memory of Eliza's supposed rejection.

It was a long climb up to an empty, lonely room and how was his room, back at the estate going to feel...colder...emptier. All other occupants were peacefully at rest while he alone remained awake. What would his father think of him trying to soothe his pain away with drink. He took another swig.

It was the one time that he missed Ezekiel's presence struggling as he was to unbutton his shirt and take off his boots. Ah it wasn't worth the effort... The alcohol was already working its magic. Help me forget...Yet he knew for certain that by the time he fell asleep the bottle would be empty and the name Eliza would still be on his lips. Another large swallow and then he broke off in song...

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,

To cast me off discourteously.

For I have loved you well and long,

Delighting in your company.

Drake's entry into song was cut short by a mad dash to his bathroom - stew, wine, rum and pity didn't mix well. 

 

Meanwhile...

Matilda hadn't left her side. They talked for a little while longer until she fell asleep. Sleep escaped Eliza. She couldn't help but recall Drake's pained expression and his feeling of hurt and rejection. You certainly have given me great powers Drake Brodie...

She had to go and say that she loved him. She had to take that chance knowing that there was no possible way that they could ever be together...happy in love. Why?...race, class divisions. Their society didn't consider her worthy of polishing his boots much less loving him as she did. All her tears had already been shed so instead of crying she sighed heavily.

Easing her way off the bed she made sure not to awaken Matilda who had turned over on her side. She moved carefully over to her chest and opened its compartment retrieving her hidden treasure trove. All her precious treasures were contained in a wooden box that George had built for her a while ago. She sat on the floor and perused the box's contents - a lock of her mother's hair, a button from her father's favorite shirt, an embroidered handkerchief that needed a good wash and other small trinkets that she had found over the years. Of course there was Ms. Ann. Time and endless play had taken away most of her luster but her eyes still blazed bright blue.

Close your eyes.

Drake, what is it?

I'm not going to show you unless you close them.

Surprise!

Drake you are the most wonderful person in the whole world!

And you are my best friend Eliza.

"We allowed love and lost to destroy our friendship," Eliza said clutching the doll tightly to her chest. "My love... will we ever be the same again."

 

Sunday...

As per usual the Bay's residents attended mass at St. John's Anglican Cathedral. It was brick building built by slaves in 1812. It was an important structure that saw the coronation of Kings from the Mosquito Coast off Spanish Honduras.

The English customarily were seated properly on the frontal pews while blacks occupied the back and the balcony pews. Eliza seated herself in one of these balcony pews earnestly praying to God for an end to her sorrows and for solace to come her way.

Drake on the other hand had awoken to an alcohol-induced headache. He pulled the covering over his face trying to fend off the glare from the sun's harsh rays. This day would be made for going down by the coast and sunning oneself. Emilie would be requesting that he accompany her but all he wanted to do was curl up in bed until it was time to go back.

After ten minutes a thump on his door propelled him to arise.

"Leave me in peace! I'll be down shortly."

He yawned and stretched his limbs. The half-empty rum bottle rolled unto the floor spilling some of its contents along the way. Damn... the floor was wet and so was the bed partially. The maid would probably believe that he had peed himself. Looking downwards he tried to remember how he had gotten to bed and why he was still attired in his evening clothes and boots. He smelled of stale rum and his mouth reeked. A good body and mouth wash twice over would take care of it but what about his heart...it still ached for the want of her.  

 

Blacks might have been going to church but they still held on to some of their own African traditions. Ms. Abigail was a prime example of this held on custom. She could only be described as the Bay's ‘obeah woman' - the only person that black residents would turn to when they needed a quick way of having something done for them or against their fellow man. Many knew where she dwelled but never really committed it to memory out of fear.

Ms. Abby, as she was sometimes referred, lived in a ramshackle wooden building on the outskirts of town. The structure was perched precariously on a hill surrounded by her bottles of herbs, portions and animal peculiarities. There was no fear of it falling - people believed that witchcraft kept it there.

No one could estimate the year of her birth. Her face had hardly a wrinkle and she refused to reveal her age.  When her dark eyes gazed upon anyone it felt as though their secret wants and desires were instantly revealed. She preferred vagabond attire to standard female dress.  Judging by her fee....20 shillings which was three months wages for a common household servant, she could easily afford whatever she wanted.

Gloria stood defiantly. She was trying to acquire her services with the little funds she possessed. Robert looked on warily. The whole atmosphere was strange and so was Ms. Abby. He couldn't believe that he had allowed Gloria to talk him into bringing her here especially on a Sunday.

"I only have seven shillings," Gloria argued, "something can be done with seven shillings."

"I work for nothing less than 20 shillings. If you don't have it then you better go."

"I don't have it and I'm still not going."

Robert was suddenly afraid for Gloria. Ms. Abigail was sure to cast a spell on her for such insolence. "Gloria it better we go." He tried pulling her away but Gloria twisted out of his grasp.

"Robert, me and Ms. Abby have business to handle."

Ms. Abby stared at her intently. "Child you don't want to mess with me. I already told you me price. Heed your friend advice and leave this place. You can't afford my methods for whatever you want to do."

Gloria smirked and walked off with Robert quickly following behind.

"What a wasted trip. The old witch could have given me something to start things off."

"Gloria please hush up. You no want Ms. Abigail to hear you."

"I thought you man enough not to be afraid."

"There are things in this world that you don't mess with. Even I know that to be true."

 

St. George's...

"Drake, could we please go walking by the shore? It is so beautiful out there and we could spread our blankets and lay on the beach."

"For the second time Emilie, my answer is no," Drake responded rubbing his temple. There was a dull thud on the side of his head.

"Are you feeling alright?"

"Would you please stop questioning me. For goodness sake I'm just tired from my journey yesterday," he responded irritated.

Emilie cast her eyes away from him then lamented, "I shouldn't have come to this place. You always seem to be cross with me."

"I warned you against coming along with me but you insisted."

"Ok I'm sorry if my coming upsets you this much. I really didn't mean to let it happen. I just...I just wanted to learn about my fiancé's home and be with you. You were so busy lately. It was almost as if you forgot that I existed," she said playing with her fingers.

"Emilie it's not your fault," he comforted squeezing her hand, "I'm the one to blame for my own unhappiness. If you could just give me a couple of hours I'm certain to be back to the old Drake."

"I certainly hope so." He cracked a smile and she returned with one of her own. "I'll leave you alone then," she said kissing his cheek before standing and walking off.

 

"So she's not Eliza," he sighed, "I feel like a piece of wood drifting off to sea."

She is your fiancée. A woman who is willing and able to love you...

"It's still not the same but it will have to do...for now at least."

He resigned himself to the notion that if he had to settle for Emilie then he would make the best of it. Eliza didn't want his love so why fall into a deep depression over something that would never be.

"When I get back I will stick to my aim."

 

As the weeks passed on by Matilda noticed the subtle changes that occurred between the two. Eliza became quiet and reserved while Drake was distant from his household friends.

Eliza noticed other changes as well. He spent most of his daylight hours at his father's company while his evenings were spent with Emilie going to dinner parties or musical concertos. Sometimes his English friends would manage to take him away for either a game of cricket or attending the race track.

The few times that Drake spent alone at the estate Gloria tried to garner his attention by striking up meaningless conversations. Sometimes his only response would be a quick head nod yes or no and nothing more. During this time he also began sprouting a beard. Not that it was of any consequence to her but it made him look much older and stringent. 

Eliza started to hate being at the estate because Drake was never far away from her thoughts. She felt that a change would be good for the well being of her soul. One day Aunt Bessie offered such an opportunity and she immediately accepted. One of Mr. Brodie's Parliamentary acquaintances needed a temporary replacement at their residence until their cook became well again. Eliza was highly recommended.

Matilda was far from happy about Eliza's eagerness to leave. She gazed on helplessly as Eliza packed her few belonging and got prepared for her journey.

"You can't runaway from your troubles."

"What troubles? Drake has made up his mind about us and I'm glad about it."

"Stop lying. If you were happy you wouldn't be leaving. Mr. Drake turn you upside down and you can't handle it like you think you could." Matilda always knew where things stood even if she didn't want to see if for herself.

"Matilda you right. The longer Drake here I can't stop thinking about him."

"No matter how far you go he will still stay on your mind."

"I know but it will be much easier." She had finished her packing and had taken off her head wrap replacing it with her bonnet. "He already stop thinking bout me so I must do the same."

"I doubt he stop thinking bout you. Just look at how he is and the way he acting. He no happy Eliza. Man have a lot of pride and sometime it hard for them to admit something no right especially when they feel hurt."

"He no understand I hurt too!" She became tired of speaking about herself and Drake. "This talk is foolish. Drake and I are not equals. Gial Matilda it's time for me to go," she said wrapping her shawl around her and picking up her bag.

"I know and I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too. Take care of yourself and watch out for Gloria."

 

Aunt Bessie was downstairs waiting to bid her farewell but so were Gloria and Robert whispering to each other.

"Your little plan worked very well."

 

"It's amazing when things come along. I certainly didn't need Ms. Abby after all. I can work wonders with a surprising opportunity and a worried Aunt."

"Who has Mr. Brodie's ear..."

 

Matilda chose to stay behind in the background while Mr. George stood by the gig taking her small bag and placing it at the back.

"You'll do well at Mrs. Rose but I'm sure you'll come back soon enough," Aunt Bessie said giving her a hug.

 

"Safe journey," Gloria added rather suspiciously.

"Coming from you Gloria thanks but no thanks. I'll be back soon."

"By the time you get back Drake would already have sung glory hallelujah more than once," she whispered by Eliza's ear. Eliza turned around angrily and gave her a hard slap. If it wasn't for Mr. George holding her back she would have given Gloria a good beating.

"Come on Ms. Eliza you don't need to be doing this right now."

"I'm sorry Mr. George."

"Papa, do something! She just hit me!"

"I won't do nothing. Go tell your mother like you always do."

"I can't believe my own father won't defend me."

"Gloria it's best you be going to the kitchen because Matilda will need your help more than ever. Robert you also have your chores to do."

The disagreement was ended and Eliza climbed into the carriage. It was time to leave her troubles with Drake behind.

As she and Mr. George left the estate Eliza felt like she was leaving part of herself behind. Sure it was only for a short while but she couldn't remember leaving the estate for very long periods of time. She always had either her mother or Aunt to depend upon and now she would have to rely on herself. Everyone has to grow up sometime and feel what its like to be out on your own...

 

Drake hadn't noticed Eliza being gone that evening or the next or the next. He was much too busy playing out his act of trying to please and accommodate Emilie but as the days went by it was becoming much more of a struggle.

It seemed that Gloria's carefully orchestrated plan didn't work out either. She finally understood Eliza's workload and wasn't very pleased about it. Ms. Olivia wasn't able to provide much comfort because she had her own work to do. She prayed every night for Eliza's return because it was clear that without her she was unable to get close to Drake. The weeks were going by so quickly and soon Drake would be leaving the Bay.

How was our dear Eliza faring at her new residence? very well indeed. Mrs. Rose was impressed by her meals and the way she took care of the kitchen. Sometimes she joked that she would keep her on permanently. Eliza felt more secure in her new surroundings. Even though Mrs. Rose had other servants they weren't much into striking up conversations. She did miss Matilda and her Aunt and there was always Drake. Every night he was haunting her dreams.  

When Emilie explained that she and Amy were planning to attend Afternoon Tea at Sara's Drake thought it was a great opportunity to speak with Jonathan about his dilemma. He rode over to Jonathan's a clean shaven man having decided that taking care of a beard was much too tedious a task.

 

Jonathan's residence...

"Your mind and eyes seem weary," Jonathan said handing Drake a glass of brandy which he requested.

"I've been working many hours and trying to please both my father and Emilie."

Jonathan's home lied near the river. It wasn't on the scale of the Brodie Estate but his three bedroom colonial served its purpose for now. Upon his arrival he saw the disturbed countenance on Drake's face and offered him a seat on the verandah.

"That may be true but it may be more. Have you told Emilie of your plan?"

"Of what plan do you speak?" he asked taking a sip.

"I assumed that since you are spending most of your time at the company that it means that you..."

"Honestly Jonathan I haven't decided as yet."

"Then what it is? What troubles you my good friend."

"I'm lost and my heart is sick," he responded gulping down the brandy. Jonathan poured him another glass. He looked like he needed it. This was very serious. Drake didn't usually drink but when he did it was usually because something affected him deeply. The last was the break up with Helen.

"You can tell me anything at anytime. I have always kept your confidence."

"Is something wrong with me Jonathan? Women that I fall madly in love with always seem to reject me eventually."

"You are being absurd. You are handsome, charming and intellectual. Any woman would want that from a gentleman such as yourself. I can't believe Emilie has fallen out of love with you."

"It is not of Emilie I speak," he uttered slowly.

Jonathan shifted in his chair unsettled by his friend's admission and fearful of breaking his confession if he spoke. He waited for him to continue.

"Do you know what its like to be a prisoner of love? As I speak to you now I'm thinking of her. I believed my aloofness would make her come running back to my arms but alas she has kept her distance as well."

"Why do you seek to punish Eliza?"

"How did you know it was her?" Drake stared at him suspiciously.

"Whom else could it possibly be but her."

"Am I that transparent where others can see my deepest emotion?"

"Drake relax and remain calm...I only guessed your heart. It's only natural for me to think about her because your close friendship."

"You are indeed wiser than many I know."

"This storyteller has his own tale to tell of love and lost. I have been where you are now. Long story short...my father found out about the forbidden affair and swore to disinherit me. As you can see I chose my father's endowment over my love for her."

"I shan't forget about Eliza that easily."

"You couldn't forget about Eliza even if you sailed half-way around the world. I certainly haven't forgotten about her after all this time."

 

Sara's residence...

"You have a very beautiful home," Emilie remarked.

She and Amy had walked through Sara's home before coming to her backyard garden. A table surrounded by four chairs displayed a tea service with sandwiches and trifles set for their afternoon tea.

"I try my best. It certainly doesn't compare to my father's estate but we can always try. Where is that brother of mine?"

"Spending the day with my husband....They have always preferred each other's company."

"Best friends as they've been for some time. Speaking of company...Drake has been putting in many hours at James Brodie," Sara said pouring them each a cup of tea. "Has he informed you about his plans?"

"I really don't understand your implied speech," Emilie responded taking her cup. "What plans are you speaking of?"

"I believe my brother plans on returning to the Bay to take over my father's company," she responded casually biting a piece of trifle.

"To my knowledge we plan to marry and reside in England. Before we came, he was in the process of acquiring his own business over there. Therefore your statement is very odd indeed." Emilie was clearly upset and Amy tried to quiet an oncoming storm.

"If it were true Emilie I'm sure that Drake would have spoken to you about it already. Important decisions aren't made without those you love."

"Of course Amy is right," Sara smiled, "I didn't mean to cause any tense feelings." Emilie nodded her head and took a sip of her tea. "You do not have to trouble my brother about what I just told you. By the way have you heard any news about your father and his health?"

"I haven't any news and it worries me a great deal."

"I'm sure Drake wouldn't mind if the visit is shortened."

"I'm certain he won't mind in the least."

"Come on you two eat up. I surely don't want all these delicious delights to go to waste."

 

Jonathan's...

"Who was she?"

"I respect her enough not to utter her name. Rarely do I see her. I know that she is married and has a son...my son... but I digress. Drake this is not about me. You still haven't answered my question."

"Oh...she still plans on marrying another man even though she has professed her love to me."

"Drake do you hear yourself speak? Have you thought about Eliza's circumstances compared to your own?"

"I would admit that I haven't...really. At the time she was trying to explain but I wouldn't allow her to do so."

"Isn't that strange..."

"Alright Jonathan I'm an ass! And very foolish! Does that please you?!" He rose up quickly and stared afar off.

"It doesn't please me that my friend is feeling despair. Please sit you sought out my advice and I'm here to help however I can." Drake sat down once again and took a last sip of his brandy refraining from taking another glass. "And what of Emilie? Do you love her equally or is it more a brother and sister sort of love?" Jonathan was truly gathering all the relevant information but at this point Drake didn't mind his questioning.

"The latter and before you ask Ms. Edith's death didn't factor into this feeling of love towards Eliza. It must have been there all along...buried beneath the surface. Then it just overwhelmed me when I saw her again. She may not have been my first love but she is my one true love," he said sincerely. Jonathan believed his words.

"A wise man should always have a plan. Your heart was fully engaged but your mind was not."

"My stubbornness has also devastated us both." He looked at him then continued, "I want to reclaim my friendship with Eliza but I really don't know how to do it. It has been very difficult." Jonathan laughed.

"You want to reclaim more than friendship my friend but everything takes time and patience. You need to end your engagement discreetly and gather money for your new life with Eliza."

"And what of your father? Given his prominence in the community, as well as his seat at the Public Meeting, he will be greatly upset. He will also be forced to give over the headship of his company over to Sara and her husband. It won't be easy. My question to you my friend is... are you willing to make the sacrifice for love."

"True love is never easy but at this point I'm willing to make any sacrifice for her...for us. I'm not able to fight this ache in my heart nor do I want to. Without her there is nothing."

"Pray for us and pray that I'm able to convince Eliza that it will work out between us. You are the only person that understands what I'm experiencing."

He placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I'll pray that you remain strong throughout whatever obstacles that may arise. My friend you have greater courage than I ever did."

"It helps to have a good and wise friend like you've always been to me Jonathan."






Chapter End Notes:
I believe I have one more chapter to go...