Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The horseback ride towards to the estate was filled with a mixture of exhilaration and guarded optimism. Jonathan had been able to uplift his spirits and chart a reasonable course of action. All he needed to do was convince Eliza that the dream was attainable. I pray that you heed my words Eliza and believe in us.

Upon reaching he dismounted giving over the charge of his horse "Jupiter" to Robert. Instantly he headed towards the kitchen where he met and greeted Matilda and Gloria who were preparing dinner. He noticed that Eliza wasn't about. Through the back door walking briskly to the wash house but even there she was nowhere to be found.

He caught sight of Ezekiel playing with his marbles and yelled, "Ezekiel, have you seen Ms. Eliza?! And if you have please tell me where you have seen her last!"

"I haven't seen her Mr. Drake. I haven't seen her for many days. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

Ezekiel's words stunned him a bit. "Yes there is something I want you to do. Please ask Matilda to meet me in the drawing room for a private conversation."

"Yes Mr. Drake."

As his heart became anxious he took a couple of deep breaths. Could she be ill? If that were true wouldn't he have heard about it or was he too wrapped up in his charade to have noticed. It was best to remain calm until he heard what Matilda had to say.

 

The Drawing Room...

"You called for me Mr. Drake."

"Indeed Matilda. You may take a seat."

"Just the same I prefer to remain standing. I believe I already know what you are going to ask me."

"Where is she Matilda? Is she ill?" he asked anxiously, "Ezekiel has informed me that he hasn't seen her around for days."

"She is not ill Mr. Drake...she's gone."

"Gone?" The word fell off his lips. "Gone," he uttered again softly. His mind was in total disbelief and his knees buckled. He had to take a seat at the nearby center table. "How? Where? Why?" he asked in succession with his face turned away.

"From what I could gather, one of your father's associate's needed a temporary servant and when Eliza's was asked to take the position she gladly accepted."

Temporary...his heart was relieved but he needed her here...now. "But why Matilda? Why?"

"Do you really need to ask that question Mr. Drake?" Her words were more an accusation but he couldn't be incensed by it.

Of course Matilda knew about their affair and why wouldn't she? - as Jonathan was to him so was Matilda to her. Her response only drove home a point quite clearly - he was responsible for Eliza's sudden departure.

"Mr. Drake..."

"Matilda, do you have any knowledge of where she is employed?"

"Mr. George would know better than I. He was the one that took her there."

It was all he needed to know. "Thank you Matilda for your kind assistance. You may take your leave," he said in a resigned tone finally looking her way again.

"Mr. Drake I don't mean to be rude but there is one more thing I need to ask. May I speak my mind plainly?"

"You may."

"Eliza is a part of my family and I would never want to see her hurt in anyway. Do you truly love her or are you...you know."

"I truly love and want to be with her very greatly. I hope my answer settles any misgivings you may have regarding my involvement with Eliza."

"Indeed it does Mr. Drake," she smiled before quietly exiting.

 

"Eliza you are not going to make this easy for me. I didn't expect you to."  

"The world always revolves around Drake Brodie and damn the rest of us!"

His comment brought back her words from the last time they were together. "You are right Eliza. I am selfish and spoiled!" He threw the centerpiece against the wall where it shattered.

 

Soon after adjusting his manner Drake met with Mr. George who informed him that it was approximately a three hour journey by carriage to Mr. Thomas Rose's residence. The time was short and they could start off in the morning when his father, Emilie and Aunt Diana would be away at St. George's. He would come up with a plausible excuse not to accompany them.

That evening Drake remained in his room barely sampling his roast chicken dinner. Unable to judge his changed behavior Emilie had wanted to speak to him but decided against it - men rarely shared their feelings and kept many things hidden she surmised.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Rose's Residence...

Being at the Rose's residence couldn't have been better. The only task she was asked to perform was meal preparation and it meant that she had a lot more time to spare and wander the expansive grounds.

Since she wasn't a part of the main household staff she was afforded another benefit - a small cottage that contained a bed, dresser, a table and two chairs.

It was a most fulfilling experience. She had room to breathe - making her own decisions without relying too heavily on others.

 

Saturday...

A flushed Mrs. Rose entered the kitchen as Eliza and her kitchen helper were preparing the last set of tuna sandwiches for lunchtime.

"These sandwiches look glorious and taste very delightful," she remarked sampling a couple. "Eliza you have a visitor, Mr. Drake Brodie."

Immediately she felt goose pimples creeping all over her body. She didn't want to see him but if she offered an excuse it would seem like a rebuff on her part to her true employers.

"Don't just stand there gapping Eliza...go on. He prefers to speak to you outside. He doesn't want to be intrusive." Slowly she removed her apron and set it aside. "Eliza since it's almost lunchtime you should take him and his carriage driver some of the sandwiches. We have more than enough."

"Yes Mrs. Rose."

Why was he there? What did he want to speak to her about? Just some of the questions that invaded her mind before she went out to see him.

 

Seeing Drake again was like an awakening. He still spurred an emotion within her that those who are in love could only feel. A debonair gentleman dressed in his walking suit, cane, black gloves and hat which he removed upon seeing her. Thankfully that horrid beard was done away with and his handsome features had returned.

"If I should happen to guess who brought you here I would say Mr. George," she remarked as she walked down the stairs.

"You have guessed correctly. Eliza, are you so unhappy in seeing me once again," he responded slyly and showing that signature smile. Her heart quaked with that smile.

"It's rather odd that you are here. You were pretty clear in your views about our friendship the last time we were together."

"I humbly ask your forgiveness," he bowed, "It was a failure on my part to not recognize the consequence of my statement. I've missed your company...terribly."

"I haven't missed your company," she responded poignantly. Drake, however, was unmoved because he knew she told a lie. "Mrs. Rose asked me to give you and Mr. George these sandwiches." She handed him the sandwiches harshly. "I could understand Mr. George needing them but my efforts shouldn't be wasted on the likes of you." Drake smiled. When given the opportunity Eliza had a sharp tongue similar to her mother.

"They look very delicious. I will surely thank Mrs. Rose on our return."

"On our return? Where are you taking me again?"

"A ride along the Roses' estate if it so pleases you. Mrs. Rose has already consented your time."

"It certainly does not please me. Drake I have my work to attend to so if you'll excuse me." Eliza gasped when a touch of his hand halted her escape.

"Eliza...please...I need to speak with you for only a few moments."

"There is nothing more...that needs to be said between us. Please allow me to be on my way."

"Must I go down on my hands and knees imploring you to come with me?"

Drake would cause a scene - an embarrassment she didn't want to endure.

"Just a few...you promise." He nodded his head yes.

She graciously greeted Mr. George and climbed into the box carriage. The carriage certainly served the purpose of allowing them to have a private conversation she surmised. Drake stayed behind momentarily dividing the sandwiches evenly with Mr. George. Completing his task he entered the carriage sitting across from her. His hat, cane, gloves and the sandwiches rested beside. Curious eyes stared at her intently but Eliza chose to avoid their gaze. The carriage began to stir.

"How does a man get back in your good graces?"

"I didn't know women such as myself have such power over men."

"You've always had great power over me."

"I think you are referring to my body. I've been told that our bodies are our greatest assets to men."

"I'm not just any man! I'm your best friend. I'm also a man who loves and wants to be with you."

"Isn't it enough that you have broken my heart and yet you still have it?" Her question became a tearful confession.

"My heart is broken as well and still you have its love." He took her hand and placed it on his nervously beating heart.

"Oh now I have your love. It isn't fair that you push and pull at my emotions."

"I didn't mean the words I said. Anger got the better of me."

"My choosing to marry Will was not a slight against you. It was an acceptance of the way society deems our affair. I'm dissolution by this love and dreams of us being together. All we are able to share is our devotion for one another and nothing more. You don't want to grasp that concept but I have because I must." She tried desperately to pull her hand away but he held it tightly.

"I know you believe that there is no future for us. Why wouldn't you brought up in this hypocritical society that tells us who we can and cannot fall in love with. But I tell you my love there is hope for us. I need you to believe and trust that I can make it a reality."

"I want to believe so much but we have too many obstacles to overcome," she said tears streaming down her face.

His heart ached to see her in such despair. He started to wipe her tears away caressing her dampened cheek. "Eliza we can overcome all of them together. I've already started to formulate a workable plan but I need you by my side. I'm begging you to please give us a chance at love and happiness."

He pulled her into his arms and forcefully brought down his lips upon hers before releasing them.

"Say that you believe in us," he beseeched while eagerly searching her brown eyes for a favorable response.

There was a fierce battle raging within her - forever yielding to societal dictates or rising up to take a hold of a new destiny.

"I believe!" She yelled joyfully. Love made her believe.

Hungrily their tongues played off each other and arms encircled into a tight embrace. A flurry of fervent kisses followed until their lips tingled with satisfaction.

Drake quieted his growing arousal as Eliza remained seated comfortably on his lap. She rested her head against his fingers calmly stroking his soft strands. Drake's arms encircled her waist. Inevitably euphoria is replaced with something else.

"I fear for you."

"Why?"

"I should say I fear for me. I would have a heavy burden to carry being the one responsible for taking away your ideal future."

"My ideal future," he chuckled, "Marrying a woman that I don't love...taking over my father's company. Do you consider those things my ideal future?"

"Tell me what do you want most in this world?" He asked as he kissed her neck gently.

"I want to be with you all my life."

"Being with you is my ideal future."

"I'll say it then. I love you too much to ever let you go and be with someone else."

"I love you too."

If it were possible to tarry in his arms kissing and speaking words of love then she would have but she knew she had to return and impressed that fact upon him. Drake reluctantly agreed and signaled George to drive the carriage back to the residence.

"Where do you reside on this estate?"

"I have been allowed to dwell in a small cottage at the south end of the property. It's fairly easy to find."

"My beauty you stay there alone?"

"Yes I do. Drake it sounds like you have a something brewing."

"I plan on returning and spending the whole evening with the woman I love. We will be able to talk some more and do other things." Eliza gave a small laugh.

"I'll tell Mr. Thomas that I am expecting your company later on this evening."

"Ah I see you've already made a friend."

"A friend who understands how to keep a confidence..." During her short stay she recognized two other female servants entertaining late night guests.

"Maybe I should stay on for dinner."

"Dinner is hours away and I couldn't bear you being around. I want to leave Mr. and Mrs. Rose with a very good impression of myself."

"So if things don't come to past between us then you'll seek employment elsewhere."

"Drake..."

"Alright we won't start another contention. One last sweet kiss and then I'll let you go."

She happily granted his request until she heard the carriage come to a halt. As the two exited they found Mrs. Rose waiting for their return. Drake engaged his winning charms.

"Mrs. Rose I would love to thank your thoughtfulness. The sandwiches were excellent." even though he hadn't taken a single bite...

"You should thank Eliza for being an excellent cook." I've thanked her enough. He watched as she climbed up the stairs her hips swaying. "Mr. Brodie I would invite you to dinner but I know you live some distance away."

"You are correct madam but thank you for the kind offer." Don't worry Mrs. Rose I'll be receiving dessert this evening. "I'll bid you ladies a fond farewell," he bowed.

"Goodbye Mr. Brodie."

"He is a fine young gentleman and very handsome as well. Sadly my Clara is still young in years or he would have made a great suitor." If I were twenty years younger...

"Yes ma'am. It is very sad." She waved after them and her eyes sent a silent message of love to him which he clearly understood and smiled.

 

Evening's shadows couldn't appear more quickly for Eliza. She was in a cheerful mood as she went about performing her duties. A bid goodnight to the household and she was off to take a bath and await her lover's arrival.

With the full moon overhead she listened to the nightly sounds and then...

Knock...knock...   

"Who is it?"

"The man who adores you..."

Opening the door Drake greeted her with a passionate kiss readily discarding his jacket and removing her cotton nightgown.

"Pardon me my love if I'm impatient. I've had many lonely nights without you by my side."

He lifted her up in his arms and laid her down gently. She waited as he continued divesting himself of his clothes and footwear.

He stood at the foot of her bed admiring her dark beauty - smooth skin, womanly curves that were begging to be explored. She too marveled at his naked form being displayed - chiseled torso, muscular thighs and a huge arousal - its pink tip glistening in the moonlight.

"Come to me...quickly," she whispered, enticing him.

She moaned softly and closed her eyes for his fingers had entered her sex...lovingly caressing its folds. His other hand tenderly prodded her erect peaks.

"Eliza, open your eyes and look at me." Through her silent cries of yearning she fluttered them opened. "See how you make me want you...remember..."

She gazed into those brilliant blue eyes glazed over with need then suddenly her body quivered as she came. Thereafter his mouth settled on her lips and then quickly he let go again.

"My love I must have you...now."

"Then have me..."

In one swift motion his manhood was buried deep inside stroking her love center. His lips pulled and suckled on her sensitive tips. She was barely hanging on clawing away at his back panting and moaning with every movement he made. The bed creaked as his thrusts moved further and further within her until their bodies dripping with sweat soon found ecstasy. They fell back into each other's arms laying soft kisses on tender lips.   

 

Eliza shifted her weight slightly spooned as it was against his body. Drake had awaited the correct moment to tell her.

"My plan entails that I must return to England rather quickly," he said kissing her shoulder.

"How quickly?"

"Early next week..."

The sudden tension in her body signaled that maybe she objected to this course but he so wanted to put aside his engagement and procure funds in a short space of time. "Eliza if it is too early then I will change the time of my departure."

She closed her eyes and stroked his forearm. "If you leave I fear losing you but if you don't go another agony will be prolonged. You must go. You can't stay"

She was indeed an impressive woman. He was truly blessed.

"There is another thing that I must tell you," he said pulling her closer.

"Go on..."

"Upon my return you must prepare to leave the Bay. Therein you must realize that we may never be able to return."

It meant that they would have to leave their family and friends behind forever. For a moment she wondered if she really understood the cost of their being together.

"I understand what we must do but I'm willing to make any sacrifice to be with the man I truly love."

"I'm reminded many times why I love you so much."

She turned around and kissed him sweetly but he lengthened the kiss pouring forth all his intense emotions. Eliza felt lightheaded as they let go.

"That was a kiss."

"I do have that effect. Surprising that you've just realized it."

"It is good that you have removed that awful beard or I should have pulled on it for that smart comment."

"You hated my beard? I thought it made me appear very mature and professional."

"It made you appear mean and stodgy. I may allow you a moustache or the fashionable sideburn but never a beard," she joked.

"Oh you may allow me..." he tickled her briefly before a yawn escaped his lips.

"Sleep my love you must be very tired."

The back and forth journey had tired him but still he insisted, "I'm not tired...ahhh...I want to talk..."

"I'll take you somewhere...marry me...Eliza...say you'll..." he had fallen asleep.

She could hear her heart beating rapidly but she wasn't going to rouse him. If he meant it then he'll ask again. "And I'll say yes my love."

 

Drake slept on but she didn't. It was the first time they had remained together for a whole evening. She carefully examined all his facial features - tracing every line, remembering every detail...just in case she would never see him again. A terrible thought but tomorrow was never promised to any man not even to two people who deserve to give each other love.  

 

Dawn Breaking...

She left his side early to prepare a meal for his return journey. By the time she went back to the cottage dawn's early light was peaking through the horizon. Drake sat on the edge of the bed bathed and changed with a wide grin on his face.

"My Locket!" she exclaimed.

"Repaired and ready to be worn by my beauty." He placed the locket around her neck. "I'm sure you won't lose it again so quickly."

"Of course I won't because you won't be here." She paused briefly then said, "I brought you some breakfast for your return back home." She gave him a tiny wicker basket that contained bread, cheese and two boiled eggs.

He kissed her and said, "I'm already home. Wherever you are that's where my home will always be so don't consider this a long goodbye." She realized that he wouldn't be coming back to see her before he left.

"I'll try not to..." but the tears still came and he leaned his body against hers. This was going to be the saddest goodbye.

"When I leave here I don't want your mind changing. I promise I'll come back for you. Only death can keep us apart."

The look of love, adoration and yes sadness staring back at her from those mesmerizing blue eyes captured her soul and she believed every line he spoke implicitly. Their lips drew into a passionate kiss that was a mixture of love and sorrow.

Mr. Thomas' small knock at the door announced that it was time for him to leave. They held each other again and he squeezed her hand gently. She reclined against the doorframe watching him mount "Jupiter". He gazed at her once more and one swift kick and he was off...gone but not forever. She silently prayed, Lord bring him back to me safely...






Chapter End Notes:

Ok so I miscalculated the number of chapters I had left. It is actually two. Next update will be my last...promise...LOL!