Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Norah Norah Lark

 Mason Mason Lark

 

Regina Regina Lennox

 Raymond Raymond Lennox




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After hours of crying and then hours of covering up the evidence, the last thing Rayne wanted was a party. Yet here she was in her parent's living room surrounded by her nearest and dearest. Friends, family and the like milled around the Lennox home all to let her know how much they'd miss her and how proud they were of her. Despite the fact that she knew she should have been feeling sadness or something along those lines, Rayne couldn't help that her thoughts weren't on the events happening in the room.

 

Adam hadn't called or come after her after since her confession and she ached inside. There was no pretending now. There was no doubt he knew the extent of her feelings and rather than admit to sharing them or pleading friendship on his behalf, he'd done nothing. She had no idea how people made it through feeling like this because it was all she could to keep upright. He was supposed to have loved her back.

 

Feeling the need to blubber attempt to overwhelm her, Rayne steeled her back and plastered on her brightest debutant smile. If she made it thru the party with her dignity in tack, then it was home to curl up and sob.

 

A hand on her shoulder interrupted her self-reassurance and Rayne turned to fine herself in the presence of the very woman responsible for there being an Adam Lark. Wordlessly Norah Lark put her arms around Rayne and gave her a securing hug. Though she knew it wouldn't do any real good, Rayne sagged into the woman's embrace appreciating the support. Of course Norah knew she needed a hug. Norah knew everything or at least she seemed to in the eight years they'd known each other. Rayne had always expected her to say something, to encourage her or admonish her for her feelings, but she never had. She was just there whenever Rayne needed that hug or the cup of tea to get her through the rough patch. Even as she held tightly surrounded by the comforting scent of lilacs, both knew this hug wasn't going to change a thing.

 

Once his wife released Rayne from her embrace, Mason Lark stepped forward to offer his well wishes but he never got the chance. From outside the sound of loud honking and even louder music drew his and all the other party goers attention to the front of the house. Drawn by the insistent noise, Rayne followed Mason and Norah outside with the rest of the crowd.

 

It took a bit of maneuvering but the trio made it onto the front porch of the Lennox's Georgian. Someone had taken a rental moving truck and rode up onto the front lawn of the house. Parked haphazardly across the walk, the person had left the both doors open as they got out. Because the loud music and the honking had finally stopped, the guest varied reactions filled the void left when it stopped.

 

"What the hell?" Raymond Lennox's deep voice sounded as he stepped onto the porch with Regina in toe.

 

Once Regina processed that there was a truck in their yard, she let out an ear piercing shriek. "Who the devil ran over my azaleas!"

 

As if in answer, a tall skinny boy appeared on the top of the truck. His pants hung low on his waist, he had on a wife beater. Cupping his hands over his mouth, he called out over the crowd. "Hey! Yo! People listen up!"

 

Rayne's heart dropped to her stomach. She knew that voice. Lil' C was Adam's little brother. Suspicion filled her, but she refused to move even as he continued to call for quiet. By some miracle the only person left talking was her mother, who was in the process of yelling for him to come down when he cut her off with an annoyed, "Lady will you give me a minute?"

 

Regina let out an outraged gasp and started to aim for a higher octave. Raymond, taking his life into his hands, gently pulled his wife to him and covered her mouth with a big hand. "Hurry up son, say what you gotta say and say it fast."

 

At that moment Adam appeared around the side of the truck. Hands in his jeans pockets he looked hesitant and determined all at the same time. "He doesn't have something to say but I do."






Chapter End Notes:
I teased, I know, I'm a baaaad author.