Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Nine

As Shawn headed back to the apartment, he allowed himself to admit that he was as worried as Angela about their future. At the moment though, the thing that was pressing most on his mind was the prom. An event he wouldn’t have even cared that much about before meeting Angela. Now all he could think about was her being with Ted while he was forced to look on as a spectator. It was eating him alive, and the only person who’d ever been able to calm him when he felt life kicking him in his teeth for the umpteenth time was his buddy, his best friend, Cory.

But Mr. Matthews had had Cory on major lockdown since he’d gotten arrested. They hadn’t really hung out together since that life altering night. Shawn abruptly slammed his hand against the steering wheel. He needed to talk to Cory. Jack had been a great help, and Shawn appreciated everything he’d been doing, but he wasn’t Cory. And Angela needed him to be strong for her, he couldn’t let on how absolutely terrified he was of losing her. Of losing someone who loved him.

Unbeknown to his friends and Jack, more and more the lure of alcohol had begun to exercise an insidious pull as the situation with Sergeant Moore worsened. His weekly counseling sessions had helped, but the strain of having restricted access to both of the most important people in his life was being to wear on him here lately. He’d played this one close to his chest, not letting on to anyone that he was feeling the pressure to imbibe, and it was wearing him down—big time.

He couldn’t keep this temptation to himself any longer, and Cory had been one of his major supporters the when he’d first developed a taste for downing his emotions in copious bottles of beer. Jack would freak if he learned how close Shawn had come to slipping and emulating their Dad. There was only one person that could take the blow of this disclosure on the chin and not give him grief about it.

At the next intersection, Shawn turned around, heading in the opposite direction toward Cory’s house, his mind made up. He’d square things with Jack later for having taken the car longer than what was necessary to bring Angela home. This was an emergency. He’d had to see if Mr. Matthew’s would allow him to talk to Cory. If he explained how things were, maybe they could have a few minutes to talk. He had to try. His sobriety and sanity both depended on it.

The evening traffic was light, and within minutes Shawn was parked out front of the Matthew’s residence and knocking on their door. Such was his closeness and familiarity with that family that he’d gone around the side of the house to the kitchen entrance.

Through the top half of the door, Shawn saw Mr. Matthews come through the living room just beyond and walk into the kitchen. When he spied Shawn, his step seemed to slow slightly but it was so subtle that Shawn wasn’t sure he hadn’t imagined it. Soon, the door had opened, and he was face to face with Cory’s father and recent jailer.

“Um, hi, Mr. Matthews,” Shawn began a little hesitantly. “I know Cory’s still punished, but-but could I please speak to him, sir? I wouldn’t have come by if it wasn’t important.”

Taking a deep breath and looking into the eyes of the boy he’d known since he’d first met him at six years old when an excited Cory had come dragging the kid through the house to announce that he was his new very best friend, Alan stepped back, pulled the door open fully and nodded.

“Come in, Shawn.” He smiled ruefully as an expression of intense relief showed up on Shawn’s face. He stepped inside. As Alan closed the door behind him, he added, “I was wondering how long it would be before one or the both of you would be begging me to see each other outside of school hours.”

Shawn stood in the middle of the kitchen, looking at Alan as he rested his hand on the counter, leaning his weight against it.

“Like I said, Mr. Matthews, I wouldn’t have come, but I really need to talk to Cory.”

Alan smiled slightly before turning his head toward the stairs that split the wall on the far right of the eat-in kitchen in two.

“Cory!” he yelled, raising his voice to its maximum volume. “Shawn’s here!”

Cory came bounding down the stairs into the kitchen. He was wearing a white tee-shirt with the logo ‘Just Do It’, faded jeans torn at one knee and converse black and white sneakers.

“Hey Dad,” he called out before he saw Shawn.

“Shawn’s here. You’ve got an hour,” Alan announced before disappearing on the other side of the swinging kitchen door.

“Shawnie,” Cory exclaimed. He went over to his friend who was leaning against the island. “How’d you pull that off?”

Shawn shrugged and one side of his mouth curved. “I think he was overwhelmed by my charisma and charm,” he deadpanned.

Cory chuckled. “Yeah. Okay.” He cuffed Shawn on one shoulder and moved away to sit down at the table, prompting Shawn to do the same. “What’s up?” He gazed across at his friend curiously.

That was all that was needed to breach the pent up dam of misgivings that had been plaguing Shawn since he’d left Angela’s.

“This is kind of hard to say, especially considering what your on punishment for, but I’ve-I’ve been wanting to drink…recently.”

“And have you?”

Shawn shook his head. “No…not yet, anyway.”

He leaned forward, his eyes holding Shawn’s. “You can’t afford a slip like that Shawn. You know that.”

“I know. I know,” Shawn said, groaning.

“Promise me you’ll tell your counselor about the cravings, Shawn. This thing with Angela has been pretty stressful, and he needs to know that you aren’t handling this additional pressure as well as you seem to be.”

Shawn nodded. He’d known he’d needed to do that, but he hadn’t been able to overcome his reluctance to admit to this weakness on his own.

“I promise. But I was kinda hoping that maybe you’d be able to talk me out of it. Like the old days,” Shawn remarked, smiling uncertainly.

Cory shook his head. “This ain’t some hair brained prank you’ve come up with, Shawn. Not the same thing at all,” he commented. “You’ve got to come clean to your counselor before you make a mistake.”

Again, Shawn nodded and then ran a hand through his hair. “Speaking of mistakes, I might have made a huge one this evening with Angela.”

A crease appeared in between Cory’s dark eyebrows as the beginnings of a frown developed.

“How do you mean?”

“I just talked Angela into going to the Prom with Ted Brazelton. I told you what I found out about that sleazebag. Please tell me I’m not an idiot.”

Cory pursed his lips. “Well, that would depend on your reason for telling Angela to go with him,” he responded sagely. He spread his hands. “Are you still trying to play by the ‘rules’?”

Shawn nodded miserably. “Trying to, but everything in me wants to call Angela and tell her not to go with him.” He leaned down and laid his forehead on the cool oak surface of the table. “All I can think about is that smug bastard with his hands all over my girl. I get sick inside, and then this other part of me wants to rip his head off.” Shawn’s head popped up and as he gazed at Cory the torment he was feeling showed in the depths of his eyes. “I’m not sure I can even make it to prom night much less actually watch him with Angela. You know he’s gonna try to push my buttons to tick me off, and with the way I feel right now, I can’t promise that there won’t be trouble even though I know I’ll be playing right into his hands.” He rubbed his hands over his face. “What should I do? Am I crazy for telling Angela to go with him? How am I gonna keep my cool? Why did all this shit have to happen?” he asked moodily.

Cory sighed at being peppered with so many questions and having so few answers. He couldn’t remember a time when they’d both been so low. He wanted to reassure Shawn and buoy his spirits, but with the problems Cory himself was facing with his own his girlfriend, he hardly knew what to tell him. So he opted for honesty.

“I don’t know, buddy. All I can say is I’m sorry for the part I played in this,” he said, looking down at his hands. “Getting drunk and getting us pulled over.”

Shawn waved away his apology. He and Angela had already told him they didn’t hold it against him. And they didn’t.

“It’s not your fault, man. Angela told me that her father has some kind of problem with her mother who ran out on ‘em and is sorta taking it out on us. Who knows what would have happened to trigger it eventually, so please. Just stop blaming yourself.”

Cory looked up.

“Okay,” he acceded, although his feelings of guilt quietly remained intact. “Well, anyway, I’ll help you as much as I can to keep it your temper under control when the time comes, but,” he paused, exhaling loudly, “I don’t know if going or staying is the right answer. You’ve done pretty well with this whole thing so far though, so I say don’t second guess yourself now.”

Shawn pondered his advice. Well, he hadn’t really given him any, but the support was appreciated and his last statement was helping to calm him.

“Thanks Cor.” He sat back, some of the tension physically draining from his body. “So much is riding on the decisions I—we make these days—that I just don’t want to make a mistake. Angela’s counting on me.”

Cory smiled but couldn’t help feeling a little jealous in spite of Shawn’s predicament. At least he knew that Angela loved him and wanted to be with him. For the first time in years he was uncertain about his own romantic future. Topanga hadn’t yielded on her their break up so far; she didn’t seem like she would any time soon either. And he was miserable.

They sat together, both caught up with their own problems, not realizing that several minutes had passed without either speaking a word, yet comforted by each other’s presence. However, when the doorbell chimed, both jumped, startled out of their respective reveries.

When Cory got up but went over to the refrigerator instead of heading for the door that separated the kitchen from the living room, Shawn turned and regarded him curiously.

“Hey, you gonna get that?”

“No,” Cory said with a shake of his head as he walked over and handed Shawn a can of cold soda. “My Dad’s monitoring all visitors.” He rolled his eyes and sat down. “He’ll be down to get it.”

Accepting this explanation, Shawn absently began to twirl his can on the table using the tip of one finger to propel the heavy aluminum cylinder.

“I wish this mess was over already,” he lamented. “And the funny thing is that for the first time I was actually looking forward to it because of Angela.” He sighed and would have said more, but Alan poled his head into the kitchen.

“Cory?”

“Yeah Dad,” he said, turning to look at his father.

“You...uh…have more company.”

Given his situation, Cory looked understandably surprised. He quickly glanced at Shawn and then back at Alan. “You gonna let me have more company?” he asked in confusion. His Dad had been pretty strict since his grounding and now he was being allowed two visitors. He could understand Shawn, but… Wait! That could only mean—

“Hey, Cory,” a feminine voice, distinctly familiar in its tone and sweetness, said softly.

While Cory stared, she sauntered up to the table as breezily as if they hadn’t been broken up and she hadn’t been steadfastly ignoring him for…oh, like forever.

“Uh…hey, Topanga,” he uttered with an awkward hesitancy as he got to his feet.

While the two stared at each other, Alan discreetly motioned for Shawn to come with him.

He jumped up with alacrity, and with a last look at his two friends, he followed Alan out.

As the door swung for the final time on its hinges, Topanga wasted little time and walked right up to him.

“Cory, I want us to get back together,” she said in her forthright way.

Cory’s mouth fell open. Topanga looked up into his startled brown eyes and placed her hand under his chin, pressing it upward until his mouth closed.

“Don’t look so stunned.”

“Well..I mean…well, I am…sorta,” Cory responded, unable to hide his shock. He was nothing if not honest. This declaration coming as it did on the heels of her unexpected visit had surprised him. “I mean, I want to and all, but…aren’t gonna make me grovel and beg and basically humiliate myself to get you back?” Hid voice was ripe with doubt yet the heaviness that had been a steady presence in his chest was beginning to lift ever so faintly.

“No,” Topanga said firmly. Her sea form eyes held a light of determination and…remorse?

“You made a mistake, Cory, and it’s over. I know you didn’t mean to hurt me,” she said, taking his hand and entwining her slim fingers with his.

He glanced down at their hands. It felt so good to touch her again. To know that they were close to repairing the mess he’d made of their relationship because of one careless, thoughtless mistake. He tightened his grip as a tiny smile lifted the corners of his mouth.

Topanga’s voice made him look up from his preoccupation. “Cory, it shouldn’t have taken me this long to forgive you.” She now looked down at their hands. “You did hurt me, but…I think you hurt my pride worst of all.”

Cory tilted his head. “Your pride?”

She still had her head down, but she sensed knew instantly what he was asking. This was going to be harder than she’d first imagined. She glanced up briefly into the inquiring but kindly eyes and relaxed. She could do this because this was Cory. She knew that, unlike herself, he wouldn’t judge her. He wouldn’t find her wanting.

“There’s no easy way to put this, but as much as I was hurt because I love you, Cory, I was even more upset about you being the one to cheat one me,” she tried to explain. “I’m Topanga Lawrence, and this wasn’t supposed to happen to me. People are supposed to envy me, emulate me, and want to be me. They’re not supposed to feel sorry for me or feel superior to me. I…just couldn’t take.” She averted her eyes from his steady gaze. “And so,” she added, after pausing to breathe, “I took it out on you. I blamed you for the pitying looks, the snickers and the cruel gossip.”

Cory encased both their hands in his free one, giving the bundle a comforting squeeze.

“Topanga—”

“No,” she said with a shake of her head, “you’ve got to let me finish. Please don’t take this the wrong way, Cory, because I think you’re as cute a guy as they come, but…” she paused, squeezed her eyes shut and bit her lip. She didn’t even know how to say what had been in her heart eating away at her all these months. How pathetic was that?

She felt Cory hands release her own, and his arms slip around her waist.

“Topanga,” he began, pulling her into him. “I understand. And believe me; I’m shocked and grateful that someone as beautiful and accomplished as you is with someone like me.”

Topanga turned her face into his chest. “You shouldn’t feel that way. And if you do, I’m the blame for it,” she muttered. “I’m so ashamed of myself. This whole break up has made me see what a conceited, self-satisfied bitch I’ve been. No wonder Lauren was able to tempt you. She saw how wonderful and funny and…and good you are, Cory. She appreciated you for you while I was too busy feeling superior and entitled.” She sniffed and raised her head to look up at him. “I really love you, Cory Matthews, and if you don’t mind having such a complete idiot for a girlfriend, I want us to be together again. Not like we used to be though. We’ll be equals this time around. And if you decide you want that, I’d like you to be my escort to the prom. I mean, if you want to,” she added rather shyly. “If…you know…you don’t already have a date, that is.”

Cory leaned down and pressed his lips to hers in a gently sweet kiss that conveyed his feelings while simultaneously giving Topanga her answer.

He raised his head slightly and leaned his forehead against hers.

“I would be proud to go to the prom with you, Ms. Lawrence. And thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt, but you know I’d never, ever take anyone else to our senior prom, Topanga,” he assured her as he pulled his head back and dipped it to look into her eyes which had lit up brightly as he spoke.

They remained like that, alternately talking and kissing. During the make out portion of one interval, Shawn cautiously stuck his head into the room. His concerned expression changed as soon as he spied them.

“Thank God!” he intoned dramatically as he came forward.

Cory and Topanga turned their heads and grinned at him.

“I don’t think I could have taken anymore bad news,” Shawn declared. He stopped beside them, placing one hand on Cory’s shoulder and the other on Topanga’s.

“So does this mean that you two are back together where you belong?” He transferred his gaze back and forth from one to the other. Since he was grinning ear to ear, he’d obviously anticipated the answer but wanted confirmation nonetheless.

Topanga nodded, laying her head on Cory’s chest. She beamed at Shawn.

“Yeah, this guy decided to put me out of my misery,” she explained, “so we’re a couple again.”

Cory hugged her tight. “She also asked me to the prom. It’s gonna be our first official date since our break up. My grounding ends the day before.”

Shawn’s grin dimmed a little when the prom was mentioned, but he covered it well.

“I’m really glad, you guys. You two not being together was just…weird, ya know?”

“I know,” Topanga admitted as she rubbed her hands along Cory’s back. “I really have to thank Angela for giving me a swift kick in the pants when I needed it. She really made me see how stupid and stubborn I was being.”

Cory reared back in surprise. “So I have Angela to thank for this? I knew I liked that girl, and now I know why,” he joked.

Topanga giggled, but she noticed that although Shawn smiled at the gentle humor, it didn’t reach his eyes. In fact, they held a distinct gleam of…sadness.

“Hey, you and Angela worked things out, didn’t you, Shawn?” she asked.

Shawn walked away from them and leaned against the island counter, his eyes on his hands as the nail of one thumb traced along the nail bed of the other.

“We made up,” he said with a pause, “but she’s going to the prom with Ted.”

Topanga tore herself from Cory’s arms and stalked over to Shawn. “Angela would never do that,” she said fiercely, her hands on her hips.

“She didn’t want to,” he said slowly, eyes still downcast. “In fact, she wasn’t going to until I told her she should.”

“What? Why?” she demanded. “Why the hell would you do a thing like that?”

“Calm down, Topanga,” Cory said, his voice softly chiding. “Don’t be upset with Shawn. He’s only doing this so he and Angela can be together at the prom since Sergeant Moore won’t let him take her. Well, that and so her Dad doesn’t have something else to hold against him.”

Topanga raised her hands to her head and raked through her long blond hair.

“This is…this is bullshit!”

Cory’s eyes got big, and Shawn’s head snapped up. He raised an eyebrow. Neither had ever heard Topanga cuss before.

“Well, it is,” she said defiantly. “We’re all supposed to go together. That’s how Angela and I planned it. Prom night is supposed to be special. And now, Cory and I are back together, and you and Angela are the ones still broken up. Not even because you want to be, but all because of her asshole father!”

Shawn pressed his lips together to suppress a smile. Although the though of Angela being with Ted while he stood on the sidelines depressed him, hearing prudish Topanga express herself so colorfully was out of character and yet strangely endearing. He knew the core of her anger arose from her love and loyalty to Angela and to him.

He eventually gave in, grinning as he hugged Topanga. When they separated, Topanga gazed at him with sympathy while he returned her look with a fond one of his own.

“I’m so glad that you and Cory are our friends,” he said, his tone sincere and then paused briefly before adding, “and if it’s not too much, there’s one thing you could do for me.”

Topanga leaned against Cory who was standing at her back.

“Anything,” she said simply.

“Would you…find out what plans Sergeant Moore has for Angela and…Ted?” It hurt him to even say the guy’s name in conjunction with his sweetheart. While it had bothered him before, now that he knew that Ted was Angela’s prom date, his had dislike intensified tenfold and mentioning them in the same breath sent of spasm of physical pain through to his abdomen.

“I’d ask her myself, if she even knows, but I know Ted’s watching us at school.” He paused and sighed with frustration. “I don’t want to sneak around to see her because it’ll only make this whole thing worse for us if her fath—”

“Shawn.” She laid a hand on his arm. “You don’t have to explain. I’ll do it. I’ll talk to Angela tonight.” She bit her lip thoughtfully. “I’m guessing you want to know if Ted’s taking her in his car or if he or her Dad is renting a limo for them,” she guessed shrewdly.

Good ol’ Topanga. Shawn breathed a sigh of relief at not having to explain himself. And he was grateful for her assistance. He was so glad to have her back in their camp and actively participating. He’d missed her big brain.

“Topanga, you’re the best. That’s exactly what I want to know. But that’s not all. I want you and Cory to double with them that night.”

“But what about you?” Cory asked hastily before his girlfriend could.

Shawn shook his head. “It doesn’t matter about me. I’m going stag anyway. So I’ll just ask Jack if I can have his car.” He shrugged. “I’m pretty sure he’ll do it. He’s…actually been really cool during this whole thing with Angela,” he admitted and was surprised by how good that knowledge made him feel. He realized in that moment just how much he’d grown to depend on his brother and his support during the last several weeks.

After a few more reassurances of help from both Topanga and Cory, Shawn took his leave. As much as he had wanted to see Cory and avoid being alone with his thoughts, it was something he now craved. Besides that, he also felt that the reunited couple could do with some alone time, too, and should take advantage of this opportunity to be together, especially since Cory was still under punishment.

Cory and Topanga made the most of their time, so when Alan announced that Cory’s time was up, the two parted regretfully. Yet the regret was mitigated by the knowledge that it was just temporary, and each elatedly looked forward to the morrow.

~~*~~

Topanga was as good as her word. The next day she informed Shawn that Sergeant Moore, after some nudging from Angela, had spilled that he had rented a limousine for prom night. And Angela, as planned by Shawn and as explained to her by Topanga, had insisted that Topanga and Cory be allowed to accompany them.

The ease with which her request had been met and granted shocked Angela, so much so that she’d thrown herself into her father’s arms from happiness. As she held onto him, she felt for perhaps the first time since that awful night that she had her father back, if only for a short time, and not the unreasonable dictator who’d taken his place.

Still, the last few days before the prom were anxious ones for Angela. She supposed that Shawn wasn’t in any better state. However, there had been one bright spot: She had jumped four places up from twelve to eighth in the class standings.

Topanga had been named class salutatorian, right behind Minkus who thankfully forbore rubbing it in her face. Since reconciling with Cory, Topanga had been less stressed and so took the news better than expected.

They both wanted to celebrate with their boyfriends, but Cory still had two days to go on his grounding while Shawn had to remain on the fringes of their little group at school because of Ted’s ever present watchful eyes.

His sole consolation had been that ever since the truth about Ted’s sexual proclivities had come out, destroying his wholesome image, she studious avoided him whenever she could. She continued to be successful in her avoidance, and Topanga assisted in ensuring that Angela and Ted were never alone in those instances where he annoyingly persisted.

Cory and Topanga’s reconciliation had another benefit to it. Now that Cory could join the girls whenever their dummy classes allowed, Ted found other places to be much to Angela’s relief because while Ted kept tabs on her to make sure that Shawn stayed away, Shawn hovered as much as he could to ensure that Ted didn’t try to take liberties with Angela. All in all, it was a tense situation, and so as much as she’d been dreading its arrival, when prom night finally hailed, Angela actually welcomed it. Her only thought was getting it over with already and having her dance with Shawn.

That evening, she was putting the finishing touches on her make-up while Topanga put the finishing touches on her own hair as she stood bending over Angela to look into the vanity’s mirror.

They’d decided that it would be better for Topanga to be there when Ted arrived, thus guaranteeing that Angela wasn’t alone with him. Another advantage was that they’d only have to make one stop to pick up Cory.

Giving in to the temptation posed by the imp of mischief sitting on her shoulder, Angela couldn’t wait to see Ted’s face when he saw Topanga. She assumed that he was unaware of the change in plans. He hadn’t mentioned anything about it to her, and that omission seemed to confirm that he lack of being in the know.

Topanga patted on last curl in place. “Well, that’s the best I can do,” she said for the tenth time. She made a little moue of dissatisfaction. “My hair’s so thick and heavy, I feel like it’s gonna come down any minute.”

Angela turned on the vanity seat to look at her. “Tee, we put at least a hundred bobby pins that that hair. So it ain’t goin’ anywhere, okay,” she assured her with a sigh. “I’m not gonna like it if you mess up your hair after all the time we spent on it this afternoon, Topanga.” It was a clear warning.

“Oh, who’re you to talk? You’ve got naturally curly hair, and those cute little ringlets are shining and bouncing in all the right places, Ange.” Her hand drifted to her head again but the look in Angela’s eyes made her rethink that move. “Oh, alright. I’ll keep my hands out of it.”

Angela mouthed a silent ‘thank you’ just before she rolled her eyes.

“You’re so grumpy,” Topanga groused unfairly.

Angela’s dark eyes flashed with anger. “I think I have reason to be,” she retorted heatedly, but then the defiance in her eyes died. Her bottom lip trembled and her shoulders slumped. . She cut a curiously dichotomous figure on the dainty little vanity seat: glamorous yet somehow lackluster. It was as if an internal light had dimmed. “I miss Shawn, and here I am getting ready to go out with the lowest piece of scum on earth. And what’s so ironic is my overprotective father’s the one who’s bank rolling this…this,” she paused, searching for the appropriate word, “this [i]travesty[/i]. So if you were me,” she added with a little of her former fire, “I think you’d be a bit out of sorts, too.”

“Aww,” Topanga said and knelt by her friend to give her a hug. Angela gripped her tightly before releasing her. “I’m sorry," she said to Angela. "I have no idea how you feel.” She began to tear up.

Angela emitted a small grunt. “Okay, we’ve got to stop this.” She vigorous flapped her hands near her face in an effort to dry up the moisture threatening to breach the rims of her eyes. “I’m not applying anymore mascara and eyeliner.”

“Me, either,” Topanga said with a soft laugh as she carefully wiped under her eyes with the pads of both index fingers.

“Thanks for being here, Tee. You’ve been a great friend through all of this.”

“You’d do no less for me, Ange. I owe part of my being back with Cory in time for this party to you, so don’t mention it.”

“Okay, I won’t.” Angela grinned. Eyes dry and no longer a threat to her make-up, she reached for her small evening bag and began filling it with a credit card, money, a slender tube of lip gloss, a small pack of oil blotting paper and a miniature sized comb.

“There,” she announced, standing. “I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Topanga glanced at the clock on the night stand and sighed. “Yeah. Me, too, I guess.”

“Girl, you’re spending the evening with the man of your dreams. Don’t let my situation get you down. And by the way,” Angela said, circling Topanga, “you look amazing.”

She really did look amazing in the soft pink taffeta gown with a v-shaped décolletage with a cinched waist and a full flowing skirt. Her bare shoulders rose from a filmy cloud of off white organza. Four inch strappy sandals covered her feet and matched the silver bell-shaped evening bag that hung from a short, grey woven strap. The gown set the tone for the upswept hairdo, combed back from her forehead, with a high crown of pinned sausage sized curls.

Her make-up matched the princess look; soft and sheer so that only the frosted pink lip gloss really stood out, accentuating her full lips, and the hint of mauve eye shadow that made her aqua eyes pop.

Topanga smiled widely. “I’m not too bad, am I?”

“No, you’re not.” She moved towards the bedroom door. “Cory’s jaw is gonna hit the floor when he sees you. Okay, let’s get this show on the road.”

Once downstairs, the girls were unnerved by the oppressive quiet. When fifteen minutes passed and still no Ted or even her father on hand, Angela began to wonder if something was wrong. The two of them sitting alone in her living room after six thirty, awaiting the arrival of Angela’s hated erstwhile boyfriend was a far cry from how they’d imagined this night.

“Well, I sure thought Ted would be here early.” Angela gazed around with a slight frown on her face. “And I knew my Dad would be front and center since this whole thing is his idea,” she said crossly.

“Ange, something doesn’t feel right.” She looked worried, too.

“I know,” Angela agreed, still frowning. “Something’s off.”

As the words left her mouth, the doorbell rang, and Angela’s stomach dropped. The moment of truth had come; one she’d alternately dreaded and anticipated, if that made any sense.

“Well, I guess we were wrong,” Topanga said and looking at Angela’s tense expression, she got up to get the door.

As she opened it, with words primed to flay the skin off of Ted’s nose for being late, she paused and gawked.

 

“What’re—”

“Where’s Angela?” Shawn cried wildly, storming past her on his way to the stairs. “What happened? Is she alright? Does she need to go to the hospital? Will someone tell me something, damn it!”

Topanga hastily closed the door and grabbed his arm to pull him back. “What’re you talking about? Angela’s in the living room,” she replied as she headed for the living room, pulling him behind her. “See.” She pointed to her friend.

Seeing who it was, Angela gasped and jumped up. “Shawn!”

“Angela, baby,” he cried, his face anguished. He rushed over to her, catching her up in his arms. “Are you okay? What happened?”

“What do you mean ‘what happened’?” Angela asked in confusion, but her voice was muffled. Shawn had her head pressed tightly to his chest.

“Baby, you’re smothering me!” she said mumbled and struggled a little within the steel bands of his arms.

“Shawn, let her go.” Topanga pulled Angela away from him. “What’s this all about?” she asked hands on her hips. “Why would you barge in here thinking something was wrong with Angela?”

“Because Eric took a call and told me that I needed to get over to Angela’s right away. I was about to head out, but Jack saw how upset I was and wouldn’t let me drive,” he answered, glancing at her quickly before transferring his gaze back to Angela. “He’s waiting for me outside in the…” his voice faded as he searched every inch of her when it finally dawned on him that Angela was perfectly alright. She looked better than alright; she looked…

“Beautiful,” Shawn whispered, and started when he realized that he’d spoken out loud.

Angela smiled, and with her arms held out from her sides, pirouetted for him.

“Do you like it, Shawn?” she asked demurely. She regarded him from under the sweep of her lashes, waiting for his response.

With the anxiety concerning her safety diminishing rapidly, Shawn’s mind was beginning to clear. Yes, he liked…no, loved how she looked. Her naturally pretty face was flawless. Smoky blue and grey eye shadow brought out the elusive coppery lights in the deep brown eyes. The lashes surrounding them were black and long. Her lips were dark red.

Her hair was pulled back from her face, smoothing her curls into tiny waves. The rest of it curled into shining small spirals, cascading from a diamond studded pin nestled at the top of her head. A few tendrils framed her forehead and face.

But it was the gown that caught his attention. Dark blue silk hugged the slender curves of her body. It had a strapless neckline gently exposing the tops of her breasts and a mermaid skirt that molded to her midriff, hips and thighs before flaring out at the knees. Dainty sandals, encrusted with tiny clear crystals that match her necklace and bracelet peeped out from beneath the folds of material.

Shawn’s throat constricted at the picture she made, and pride swelled his heart before reality intruded.

“Shawn,” Angela began, looking at his anxiously now. He hadn’t said a word for a full minute. “Do you like it?”

“Too much,” he said in a husky voice. But then he cleared his throat, as something else occurred to him. “And that asshole’s gonna like it, too.”

Angela’s pleased expression evaporated. “I bought this gown to look good for you, Shawn. Not for him.”

He knew what she was saying was true, but it still irked him that Ted was her date and got to be with while she was dressed like that.

He vigorously rubbed his hands over his face and tried to keep calm. “I know, but that doesn’t make me feel any better when that creep gets see you,” he muttered, “up close and personal all night. He gets to be your escort while I have to stand on the sidelines.”

“Huh uh. That’s where you’re wrong.”

The teenagers’ heads whipped around.

“Dad!

“I can explain, sir!”

“Sergeant Moore, Shawn was just…uh…he—”

“It’s alright,” he interjected, holding up his hands as he stepping down from the bottom stair. “I’m the reason Shawn’s here.”

They all gaped at him as if he’d grown two more heads while he looked on calmly.

“I guess I better explain.”

 

“Sir, my brother’s outside waiting for me,” Shawn cut in, recovering his bearings a little ahead of the girls. “Can I just tell him Angela’s alright?”

“You can do one better than that, Shawn. Invite Jack in here. He might as well hear this, too.”

While Shawn left to get Jack, Angela confronted her father. “Dad, you talked to Eric? What did you say? Shawn was frantic when he got here.”

“I know I have a lot of explaining to do,” Sergeant Moore confessed. “But let’s wait until Shawn and Jack join us.” He shook his head, his expression rueful. “I don’t want to do this more than once.”

Angela gave Topanga a sidelong glance before nodding.

Shawn was back with Jack in record time. The brothers attire was a study of contrasts with Jack in casualy dressed in faded jeans and a plain white tee and Shawn in his formal tux with a pristine white dress shirt and black tie. As they entered the living room, Alvin Moore preempted Jack's greeting in favor of getting down to business.

“Let’s all sit down.” Everyone followed suit. Angela sat with Shawn, his hand in hers while Topanga sat next to Angela. This left Jack to take one chair as Alvin lowered himself into the other.

“I’m going to get straight to the point. I was wrong about Shawn, and I made some pretty stupid decisions because of it. Maybe my willingness to believe the worst of you had something to do with your being white, Shawn. I…honestly don’t know at this point,” he admitted, looking directly at Shawn. “It’s…something I’ll have to give more thought to. However, once I’d dug myself in so deep, I didn’t know how to get out the hole I was in, and my pride may have had a little something to do with the way I went about things tonight. Nevertheless, I want to apologize to you and my daughter for my behavior. I never realized how stubborn I was being until I overhead you two and that Cherise girl last week.”

Angela’s mouth opened in a startled part. “You heard us?”

Shawn looked at her and squeezed her hand but said nothing as he turned back to Alvin.

“Yes, I did, honey. And I admit that it shouldn’t have taken overhearing that conversation for me to recognize how wrong I’d been.” Alvin took a deep breath and ran his large hands over his jean covered thighs. “I should have re-evaluated my stance when Shawn called me the night you went over there, Angela,” he said to his daughter. “My only excuse is that I guess I really believed that Brazelton boy would be a good alternative to Shawn. Again, I-I have to revisit my conscience as to why I thought that,” he added, gazing down at his hands. “I only hope you can forgive me, baby.”

He didn’t raise his eyes and so when Angela stood in front of him, he looked up. Her eyes were shimmering, and he knew that she was close to tears.

“I forgive you.” She held out her arms. “I love you so much Daddy.”

Alvin stood up and embraced her, holding her tightly as if he would never let her go.

“I love you, too, baby. Always.”

They stood like that a few moments before Angela pulled away, saying, “As much as I love you, Daddy, if I have to redo my make-up, I’m gonna kill you.” The smile on her face said otherwise though.

Alvin laughed softly. Topanga and Jack smiled. Shawn dug inside his jacket pocket and came over to press a handkerchief into her hand.

She looked at it in surprise before taking it.

“It was Jack’s idea,” Shawn confessed sheepishly.

Jack laughed as she thanked him. “It’s what big brother’s do. When he thought that something had happened to you, Angela, I thought he was gonna have to use it himself.”

“Jack!” Shawn’s face turned beet red. He turned his head to his brother. “You’re embarrassing me,” he said out one corner of his mouth, his tone low.

“Oh, sorry,” his brother said unapologetically. Shawn cast his eyes heavenward and turned back to Angela who was sharing the handkerchief with Topanga.

“I’m sorry, too, Shawn,” Angela's father said.

Before Shawn could respond, the doorbell rang, prompting Angela to leave the group to get it.

“That’s probably the limousine service, Angela,” her father called out before turning his attention back to Shawn.

Shawn turned back from watching Angela, too. “What was that, sir?”

“I’m sorry that your friend scared you. That’s my fault. I just told him you needed to get over here. I should have asked to speak with you directly, but I took the easy way out. Or so I thought.” He sighed and shook his head at his actions. “If I hadn’t been such a coward, I would have sat you and Angela down days ago and avoided all of this confusion.”

Shawn looked at Alvin with sympathy. He could be generous in extending that now. “It’s okay, sir. I had a few bad few moments. Okay, a really, really bad half an hour, but it’s over with now. And no, sir, you’re not a coward,” he added magnanimously.

Alvin tilted his head. “I think you mean that.”

“Yes, sir.”

Alvin nodded, and then cleared his throat. “Anyway, I called Ted this evening and told him that I couldn’t let him escort Angela. When he got a little upset with me, I suggested he call Cerise and ask her. That shut up him quick.”

Shawn grinned. “I bet it did.”

Smiling, he slapped Shawn on the back. “Well, enough about all of that. It’s in the past. Besides,” he said, raising his arm to give his watch a cursory glance, “it’s time for you kids to go.”

“Daddy’s right,” Angela said, coming over to them. “The limo’s here.” There was a definite lilt of excitement in her voice. “The driver’s waiting outside.”

“It’s just passing seven,” Topanga chimed in after glancing at the clock on the wall. “We need to go before Cory starts wondering where we are. I bet he looks so handsome in his tux. And you know, Mrs. Matthews is gonna want to take pictures.”

A light bulb seemed to go off over Alvin’s head. “Hey. That’s a great idea.” He started toward the stairs. “I promise you can go right after I take a few shots,” he tossed over his shoulder. “I only have one daughter, and she only has one prom. Be right back.”

Angela groaned. “Now we’ll never get out of here,” she pouted, turning to Shawn. “I want to be alone with you.”

“Patience, baby,” he whispered in her ear. “I’m so happy right now. Nothing could bring me down.”

“You’re right,” she whispered back. “This is gonna be a night to remember.”

Less than a minute later, Alvin came running down the stairs. Pictures were taken in various poses and in varying combinations: first Angela and Shawn, who made a gorgeous couple with Shawn in his black tux with his chestnut brown hair combed back from his face, and of course, Angela, stunning in the navy gown. Then it was Angela and Topanga smiling into the lens; Angela, Shawn and Topanga cheesing for posterity; and lastly, the three of them, with Jack and then Alvin.

Finally, it was time to go, and the four trouped through the door. Jack drove off before they did as the girls gingerly minced their way to the limousine with the hems of their gowns held up to protect them from the dusty ground.

They were safely ensconced in the back when Alvin more walked up to the vehicle, went around the side, and leaned down at the driver’s window with last minute instructions.

Once that was done, he moved over a couple of feet to the passenger’s window where Angela sat. Shawn was next to her while Topanga sat across from them on the adjacent seat.

Before Angela began fumbling for the correct button to lower the glass, the window rolled down.

Alvin sat on his hunches, making his head level with the opening.

“Angela, your curfew’s been extended to two o’clock,” he said looking at each teenager in turn. “Think that’s enough time for you guys to party hearty?”

Angela snickered softly at the old fashioned term. “Yes, Daddy,” she concurred, her tone respectful in spite of her mirth. “Thank you, Daddy.” She leaned over, extending her cheek to him.

Alvin obliged, lightly brushing her cheek with his lips. “You’re welcome, baby.”

He straightened, pounded the hood of the limo and stepped back. As he gazed after the disappearing limo, watching it grow smaller with distance, taking his little girl further and further away, a faintly wry smile curved his lips. He’d done the right thing, and it felt good. He and Angela could get their relationship back on track.

He had no regrets about his actions that night; it was just that tonight, to him, signified the end of Angela’s childhood, and with the advent of his daughter’s adulthood looming just over a not so distant hill, he found himself equal parts proud and regretful. Nevertheless, as he imagined her happiness, his somber mood lifted and lighted.

Yes, some things were ending tonight, but others were just beginning. He would take heart in that: in having Angela home for college, and in having a young man like Shawn in her life. It was more than he’d hoped for recently, and it would, therefore, be enough. Alvin’s lips curved into a genuine smile as he went into his house.

~*~

As the limousine sped down the highway, Shawn glanced at Topanga and seeing that she had her eyes closed with a dreamy expression on her face, he leaned over and pressed a kiss onto Angela's lips. She immediately responded, returning the pressure before he lifted his head.

They gazed into each other's eyes. Angela trailed her fingers down the side of his cheek in a loving caress before he sat back with her hand in his and her head resting on his shoulder. There'd been no need for words. As Angela had said earlier, it was going to be a night to remember...for always.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: My thanks to everyone single one of you who read the story, with a special shout out to those who also left reviews (the encouragement was and is appreciated). The story is now complete, and I hope you enjoyed it. Peace!