Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Wrote this story in 1998 during the height of my PTL love. 

Disclaimer: All main characters and the premise of Poltergeist: The Legacy belongs to Richard B. Lewis, Trilogy and MGM/USA productions. No financial copyright infringement is intended.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Alex walked around the control room stretching muscles cramped from sitting at her computer for the past two hours. Reluctantly, she returned to her seat to continue the seemingly endless search of Legacy listings on stolen or lost paintings. Shaking her head she was still unsure how she had let Derek Rayne talk her into working tonight. Not that she had any concrete plans, but still....tonight of all nights. The night for lovers and those who believed in love. And though she didn't have a date, she enjoyed the idea of prowling the streets of San Francisco watching those who did.  Maybe she would have found someone she could tolerate and danced herself senseless.   Instead here she sat tired and in definite need of a masseuse.  "Just because tall, handsome and Dutch feels an issue is earthshaking doesn't mean I have to buy into the concept.  I want to go dancing," Alex voiced her displeasure to ears that were not around to hear.

The computer's annoyed beeping brought her back to the present. She looked down to see that her finger was pressed against the enter button and that she'd missed several pages of entries. "I don't believe this," she said stabbing the page up button until she found a listing she remembered reading before. "And I don't intended to be here all night!" She said stubbornly rubbing at a sharp ache between her shoulders.

#####

Alex placed a plate of fruit and crackers and a large glass of tea on a table near her computer console. As she adjusted the keyboard into a more comfortable position, an idea came to her. With a smile, she clicked the Favorites button, a light pull on the mouse, and a deep, sensuous voice filled the room.

"Welcome to the music for lovers weekend. From the station that's making your weekend special. The voice of America, St. Louis' Mix 97.1."

#####

"From Regina Bell to Luther, the difference is variety on the Mix 97.1. The best sounds in the country. Music for lovers everywhere, here's Randy Crawford's ‘Merry Go Round'."

"Say I'm crazy 'cause I have to have you..."

"Say I'm dreaming 'cause I wanna see this through

Say there's no meaning to life if I'm not with you,

My love, my only love."

Arms wrapped around herself Alex swayed to the music. A draft of air moved across her skin telling her that someone had entered the control room. She turned to see Nick walking towards her, a small smile of greeting on his lips.

"Can I join the party?"

"No party, just another late night." Alex retrieve the last print out, put it in a folder and added it to the pile to be put on Derek's desk in the morning.

Nick walked further into the room. "What has the workaholic got you doing tonight?"

"Derek got a word from one of his sources that several original paintings lost during the occupation of Holland are up for sale. He wants verification before deciding what steps to take next."

"Sounds like a dream date to me."

Alex smiled wearily. "So...how was your date?"

"She liked the car."

Alex touched his face with her fingers. "Does this clenched jaw mean that her phone number is not going into your little black book."

Nick smiled. "I didn't even pull out my pencil."

Alex placed her arm across his shoulders. "Sorry Nick, I'd hoped that one of us was having a nice Valentine."

Nick grinned. "For a minute or two I did.  Then just before dessert she received a call from her roommate that her current off and on old flame was at the apartment waiting to see her."

"She was tacky enough to ask out of your date?"

 "Yep.  So I helped her out.  Gave her the perfect ride home...top down...70 miles per hours."

"You didn't."  Alex said, slapping his arm.

"Nothing lost."  Nick walked over to the computer console and reaching over he turned up the volume on the speakers.

"Ladies and gentlemen it is deep in the midnight hours.  Here's some music for those close to the ones they love. For those of us who are alone, this is for the nights to come. From the mighty Mix 97.1."

"If the year take away

every memory that I have

I would still know the way

That would lead me back to your side."

Nick tapped the back of Alex's hand. "Let's end this night on a high note. Alexandra Monroe would you care to dance with me?"

"Yes."

"When we shed our earthly skin,

And when our real life begins,

There'll be no share

Just the love that we have made before time."

Alex willed her herself to relax and closed her eyes, allowing herself to hear the music as Nick pulled her closer.  "It has been a long time since we've danced together."

"Last time was that fund raising shindig Derek roped us into."

"If I know anything

This much is true

It never changes

Love is gonna have its way

Doesn't matter what we do."

The DJ's voice could be heard underneath the music. "The night has passed into day and its time for me to rest. In the quiet hour this is the mighty sound of Mix 97.1"

Alex moaned at his words. "He's right it's late."

As Nick let her step away. Her eyes moved over his face enjoying each feature. There was kindness and strength in his eyes, determination and judgment in the lift of his chin. And that luscious mouth. Alex's head tilted slightly. "Nicholas old buddy..." Her lips brushed softly, sisterly against his. "Thanks for tonight."

He tightened his grip on the hand resting in his. "Always."

#####

Minutes after separating Nick caught up with Alex outside her bedroom door. "Finished the security check.  Are we running this morning?"

Alex pointed at his watch. "Yeah, see you in 10."

 

the end






Chapter End Notes:
This story was made better by the talent of the following artists.  Their words are used with deepest respect. Randy Crawford's songs "Merry Go Round and Tell it to Your Heart," album PERMANENT, Warner Brothers Records and Gross Management Organization; CoCo Lee's song "A Love Before Time," album CROUCHING TIGER-HIDDEN DRAGON, Sony Pictures Classics and Columbia Pictures-Asia.  I also lucked up on St. Louis' Mix 97.1 on the Internet. It's a great listen.