Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the second half of the conclusion. Or something... :)




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Fourteen 

Sam 

Sam paced around the ship for what felt like forever, while Martha just watched him. Didn’t bother to say a word. When he finally opened his mouth, she cut him off instantly, anticipating his question.

 

“I’m still human, for the most part.” She said. “Got all the Time Lord perks, if you could call them that. I’m a bit over 500, give or take a few years.  Watched my family grow old, die eventually. And then I just—left, for good. Haven’t been back to earth in centuries, didn’t have a need. Until now that is.”

 

She was so remote as the words left her mouth, for moment he doubted her claim of being human. Her eyes—they were like before, but….they were also like his. Like the Doctor’s.

 

“Why now?” Sam said. “Why come here now, for this? I’ve fought demons loads of times, what makes this so different?”

 

“Lilith.” Martha answered, and Sam felt a slight rolling of his stomach at the name. Why the fuck did everything have to come back to her?

 

“Okay.” Sam said, his voice held tight. “What about her—what has she done?”

 

“She feeds off fear Sam, particularly fear in other demons.” Martha explained. “It’s what she’s always done, what made her so powerful. Human fear is nice, but demons…much stronger.”

 

“You mean like me?’ Sam said, and instantly wanted to take the words back. But Martha just nodded, seemingly unfazed by them.

 

“Yes, just like you. Only on a much grander scale.”

 

Sam closed is eyes as the rest of the story fell into place.

 

“The sun demon.” He said. “She’s been feeding off that thing?”


”Yep.” Martha replied. “And it’s letting her do all kinds of shit, like raising demons on her own, causing us to switch places in the first place. And play with time.”

 

“What are you…?”

 

“She was feeding off the Master too Sam.” Martha said. “Parts of him were inside her and the wanker probably didn’t even realize she was doing it. That mixed with what she’s already taken in…”

 

“Makes her dangerous.” Sam said, and Martha shook her head at his words.

 

“More then dangerous.” She said. “She’s bloody lethal.”  

 

The heat began to increase in the ship, and for a moment Sam thought his skin was starting to burn, that Lilith had found him again. But Martha only flicked a switch and the doors of her TARDIS flew open, the bright light of the sun demon filling the interior.

 

“Why me?” Sam said as he stared at the sun. “I mean, you seem like a bad ass now, you  could do this, right?”

 

“No, I can’t.” Martha said. “I’ve tried exorcising, reasoning with it, but—”

 

“You do exorcisms?” Sam said, his eyebrow raising. Martha smiled softly as she stared out into the sun.

 

“Yeah.” She said. “You’re brother taught me quite a bit after we met. Never thanked him properly for that.”

 

“Dean…”

 

“Is fine. Everyone will be, if you do this Sam.” She said. “I could destroy the demon, just wipe it out, but that wouldn’t affect Lilith’s power, I need her back to what she was, where she belongs. And that sure as hell isn’t out here.”

 

Sam nodded, feeling the sun’s power radiating inside his body. He turned to the doorway as the intense heat began to feed him, sending his heart pounding in his chest. And it flared within him, that thing that craved the sun’s fear. Hungered for it.

 

“What do I do?” Sam whispered, and Martha moved closer, whispering in his ear.

 

“Just take it from her Sam.” She said. “Make it your own.”

 

“But I don’t know how—” He began, but that wasn’t true. His body just knew, could feel her there, fighting against him. Lilith. She was screaming, pushing at his mind trying to get him to stop. But he was winning; her voice was getting lower, weaker. And now he was—strong…

 

“Is she gone?” Martha called out, and he shook his head, feeling his nose starting to bleed. Just a little more—he had to hold out just a little longer, for Dean. For everyone he still cared about.

 

He had to save them.

 

“Sam.” Martha said, but he didn’t answer. Didn’t want to, only wanted this. That power…god, all that strength…..

 

“SAM, IS SHE GONE?” Martha shouted, and he nodded slowly, his mouth forming a small grin. Yes, she was gone, the little bitch had run away from him….

 

There was a sharp pain in his head as the connection was broken and he fell backwards, away from the TARDIS doors. He saw a vivid flame of light, and then the sun started to grow bigger, the brightly lit surface pulsing in and out ominously. Martha waved her sonic screwdriver and the door slammed shut, and Sam felt the familiar rocking of the ship as they began to move.

 

“What happened?” Sam breathed, and she crouched down bedside him for the second time that day.

 

“We won.” She replied. “Well, we will shortly. After I find Lilith.”

 

“You—you’re going after her?” Sam said. “Was that why she was so afraid, when you showed up. She took off so fast..”

 

“Most of them do.” Martha said. “But I’ll find her. Just like the others.”

 

“Others?” Sam said, and she just smiled.

 

“Death bringer, The Dark One.” she said. “They call me all kinds of names, let others know I’m coming.”

 

She stood up again, her dark eyes cool as they stared down at him.

 

“But I’m partial to The Hunter.”

 

The Doctor 

He didn’t want this for her, for anyone. He wanted her alive, smiling at him in that way she had. Like she new everything about him, all that mattered anyway. It was selfish, saving her. And he didn’t do it for the young man that obviously cared for her deeply. It wasn’t for her family either, though having to look in her mother’s eyes and explain how he’d lost her daughter didn’t exactly appeal to him. None of those reasons were why he brought her to life again. Knowing what it might mean.

 

He just couldn’t lose her. Not when he’d already lost so much along the way.

 

And to make matters worst, he almost felt happy. Because of the first time in so many years—he wasn’t alone. She was a Time Lord, like him. She’d live forever, like him.

 

With him?

 

The Doctor quickly pushed those thoughts aside, knew they were foolish to even entertain. She did have a life, and even if she were ready to accept what had happened to her—which he doubted she was—asking her to travel with him again would be asking too much of her. Too soon.

 

But still…

 

“We should go outside, see if the others need our help.” Bobby said. The man had been silent throughout the exchange, his face taking on a slightly shell shocked appearance. The Doctor looked from him, to Donna, whose blues were appraising him intently. The Doctor looked away for a moment, then looked back and he saw her mouth tighten, disapproval evident on her face. She knew—what he’d been thinking. Perhaps she’d been thinking along those lines as well.

 

“Yes, well.” The Doctor said, clearing his throat. “We should see what’s going on out there, I didn’t catch sight of young Sam when we were—”

 

“Sam!” Dean shouted, and causing them to jump slightly. Dean finally released Martha from his grasp, and bent down to retrieve the weapon he appeared so fond of.  “Shit-where the fuck is my brother?”

 

“He was in the kitchen.” Donna said. “I remember—he was there with me and then—there was someone else. A woman.”

 

“A woman?” Dean said. “Fuck, was Ruby? Lilith?”

 

“No.” Donna said, then shook her head. “I mean—I don’t think so, I’m not sure what happened.”

 

Dean turned toward the doors, then paused a moment as he looked at Martha again. Martha waved him off.

 

“I’m fine, go find your brother.” She said, and Dean grabbed her then, pulling her into his arms. The Doctor watched him kiss her, then watched her returned the embrace and felt a hard knot in his chest that took him by surprise. He wanted to avert his eyes, but couldn’t look away from them. The way he touched her hair, the smile he gave her as they broke from the kiss. Martha grinned back, and Dean kissed her forehead before letting her go, he and Bobby running for the TARDIS doors.

 

“You lucked out with that one.” Donna said, and Martha nodded, staring at the door long after Dean had gone through them. She turned away almost reluctantly, and met The Doctor’s eyes, uncertainty replacing the previous softness there.

 

“Are you afraid of me?” The Doctor said, and Martha shook her head slowly.

 

“No.” she said and took in a deep breath. “No, I’m afraid of me.”

 

The Doctor moved toward her then, slowly, not wanting to scare her, and he saw the tears fill her eyes as she watched him. He stopped only a few feet away, and looked down into the face that meant so much to him, more then he was ever willing to admit. It was impossible—they were impossible. Only now—now….

 

Now.

 

“Martha.” He said, and she rushed into his arms, holding onto him tightly. He hugged her back, resting his cheek against her hair as she cried in his arms.

 

“It will be alright—I’ll help you.” The Doctor said, avoiding Donna’s stare once more. “I promise, you won’t be alone, not like I was.”

 

“You can’t say that.” She said into his jacket. “If I don’t die—then everyone around me will. I can’t…”

 

The Doctor pushed her from him then, gripping her arms tightly as he met her watery gaze.

 

“I won’t leave you.” he said. “Not unless—unless you ask me to.”

 

Martha smiled then, wiping the tears from her face.

 

“I know—and I believe you.” she said. “I just—feel like I’ve lost something, like someone’s just died. Besides me, of course.”

 

Donna walked up beside them and too her hand.

 

“Well—I don’t know much about being a Time Lord.” Donna said to her. “But I do know if anyone could drive this bloody thing, you could. Probably better then this lot.”

 

She tilted her head over to The Doctor, whose brow furrowed at her observation. Martha’s eyes widened and she looked over The Doctor’s shoulders to stare at the TARDIS console. The Doctor’s mouth dropped open, and he began to wave his hand, shaking his head as he backed away from them.

 

“Oh, now hold on a minute.”

 

“You called me a Time Lord.” Martha said, and Donna nodded in agreement.

 

“Yes, that is what he said.” Donna said, and The Doctor looked back and forth between them.

 

“What are you—“

 

“I’ve always wanted to drive this thing, and he’d never let me.” Martha continued, and Donna just snorted.

 

“Men and their toys. You think this was his bloody cock, the way he rubs that panel all day long.”

 

“Oh, now that’s not necessary.” The Doctor said, and ran a hand through his hair, feeling surrounded. He braced himself for the next onslaught, only to be saved by the reopening of the TARDIS doors, and Bobby sliding back inside.

 

“Well?” Martha said as she turned to face him. Bobby just shrugged his shoulders.

 

“They’re gone.” He said. “All of them, there ain’t a demon in sight. They all just left.”

 

The Doctor was silent for a moment as Donna turned to him.

 

“That’s good, ain’t it?” she said.

 

“Not necessarily.” The Doctor and Martha said simultaneously and they grinned at each other for a moment, before heading for the doors. They were met with an eerie silence as they walked outside, which was then broken by the sound of Jack whooping at the top of his lungs, shouting congratulations into the night air.

 

“HOLY SHIT, WE WERE AWESOME!’ Jack yelled, and they all hurried into the front of the house, where Dean and Ellen were watching him wave his gun in the air in victory. His clothes were dingy and torn, as were Ellen’s and the small group of hunters that had joined the fight. Jack slid his gun down to the ground, and stalked over to Ellen, whose eyes widened as he approached her. She didn’t get a chance to protest before he pulled her into a kiss, bending her backwards as his mouth devoured hers. The Doctor watched the woman resist for a moment, before sliding her arms around his neck, returning the kiss with increasing enthusiasm. They ignored the catcalls from onlookers, holding on to each other tightly before eventually coming up for air.

 

Jack had a huge grin on his face when The Doctor and Martha approached him, and Ellen stumbled off to the side, smoothing her hair as she mumbled something under her breath.

 

“Doctor.” Jack said, then turned to Martha, gave her a hard kiss on her cheek. “Martha Jones, glad to see you’re both alright.”

 

“And you.” The Doctor said, glancing at Ellen. Jack’s smile just grew wider, and the delivered a hard slap to The Doctor’s arm.

 

“Can’t resist a victory kiss, especially one like that. The things that woman can do with her tongue. And that was just in my mouth…”

 

“Yes, right.” The Doctor said quickly. “Victory you say? So you, killed all those—creatures?”

 

Jack shrugged.

 

“Seemed like it. Shit, they just up and died, one minute they were scratching and clawing at me, the next some nasty black shit is dripping out of their mouths, falling out into the ground. I’m new to this kinda thing, but it seem like they were dying to me.”

 

“Me too.” Ellen said, finally finding her voice again. “They didn’t just escape, those demons all dropped dead. Something killed them, besides us I think.”

 

“And yet, you claim victory?” The Doctor said, and Jack just shrugged.

 

“Hey, someone has to.” Jack said, and winked at Ellen. “Might as well be me.”

 

Dean walked up beside the, his brow furrowed as he scanned the empty yard.

 

“Where’s Sam?”

 

martha

 Sam 

“So—it’s over?” Sam said, and Martha nodded, though her eyes told him she didn’t really believe that.

“Well, it depends on what you mean by over.” She said finally, and he gave short laugh, suddenly exhausted.  

“By over I mean not getting stalked by fucking demons every day. Or at least Ruby and Lilith, they’re gone right? They’ll leave me and my brother alone?”

“They will be.” Martha said. “Now that her favorite toy is no more, Lilith is almost powerless. Just as she was after her first round with you. I’ll find her, don’t worry.”  

“And Ruby?” Sam prompted, and Martha just smiled.

 

“I’ll leave that one to you and your brother.” She said. “I think you both could use that bit of satisfaction.”

 

Sam was quiet for moment, watching her guide the ship.

 

“Why do all this?” he said, and she looked at him again, eyes questioning.

 

“The little clues, sending us all over the galaxy? Why not just show up, tell us what we need to know?”

 

Martha sighed and ran a hand over her dark hair.

 

“Because if I had, this would have never happened.” She replied. “You never would have developed your powers and this wouldn’t’ have been possible. I sent messages to you and The Doctor because it was the only way to communicate without affecting the course of events—I had to give The Doctor information without leading him back to me to soon, but I did need to speed things up a bit.”

 

“Too soon?”

 

“For it all to happen, for me to die. I had to die Sam, there’s so much that’s been done because of that one moment. What Lilith was doing was starting to affect timelines, change what has to be. That’s what I came here to fix, nothing else.”

 

“So—you could screw with us, but not with yourself?” he said, and she nodded.

 

“Basically. You were in the TARDIS, traveling with The Doctor, which is—beyond time so to speak. I on the other hand, was here, with your brother.”

 

“Dean.” Sam said, and he watched her eyes darken a moment. “His name is Dean, why haven’t you said…”

 

“Five hundred years Sam.” Martha said quietly, and he lifted his head at the sadness in her voice. She looked down at the console, and threw a switch, causing the ship to rock once again.

 

“You’re home.” Martha said, and he stared at the doors.

 

“That’s it?” he said, and she nodded.

 

“Yeah, basically. I take care of the rest, but your part in this is over. Go on. Time for you to get on with things, yeah?”

 

Sam stared at her for a moment.

 

“You seem lonely.” He said, and she smiled at him ruefully.

 

“Not lonely.” She replied. “Just alone.”

martha 

Dean 

He breathed out a deep sigh of relief as his brother’s lanky frame came into view. Sam ducked under a tree branch and gave him an awkward smile, his eyes glancing around him as he moved forward.

 

“Where in the holy fuck have you been?” Dean said, and Sam just slapped a hand on his shoulder, his grin growing broader.

 

“It’s over, right?” Sam said, and Dean just stared at him, confused.

 

“Yeah, how the hell did you know that?” Dean said, and Sam gestured at their surroundings.

 

“No demons.” He said. “God, I could use a beer. You want a beer?”

 

“Sam.” Dean said, grabbing his brother’s shirt as he tried to walk past him. “Where were you?”

 

Sam was silent for a moment.

 

“I was fighting Lilith.” He said. “And I won. She’s gone.”

 

Fear crept up on him at his brother’s words, and he crossed his arms over his chest, shifting his body uncomfortably.

 

“You beat her how?” Dean said, and Sam briefly looked away from him, confirming is fears.

 

“Dammit, Sam, you didn’t.”

 

“I had to Dean, she was gonna kill everybody.” Sam said.

 

“So you use that demon psychic shit?” Dean said. “How many times—you don’t know what might happen if…”

 

“Nothing happened.” Sam said. “And I’m—really tired. And hungry. And I want a damn beer, so can we just go inside? Please?”

 

Dean hesitated, before nodding.

 

“Fine.” He said. “But this conversation isn’t over.”

 

“Oh, believe me, I know.” Sam said. “And I know you’re just worried about me, but trust me, I’m fine. Better then I’ve been in a while actually.”

 

“Well—good.” Dean said. “You go on in—I’m gonna check on Martha.”

 

Sam stopped at his words, this time gripping his brother’s shoulder.

 

“Is she okay?” Sam said, and Dean eyed him curiously.

 

“Yeah.” Dean said. “I mean—she is now. She had—she almost…”

 

“So she’s going back? With The Doctor?” Sam prompted, and Dean felt his face tighten at his brother’s words, his eyes sliding off to the side.

 

“Dean.” Sam said. “You know she has to…”

 

“Yeah.” Dean replied. “I mean—no I don’t. I don’t know a fucking thing she has to do but be with me. I just—want her with me.”

 

Sam’s eyes widened at his brother’s words.

 

“Wow.” Sam said. “I don’t think I’ve ever—you really like her don’t you.”

 

“Yeah.” Dean snapped. “I…shit.”

 

They stood together in silence, Dean staring at the ground as the truth started to sink in.

 

“It won’t work will it?” Dean said quietly, and Sam shook his head.

 

“We’re hunters Dean, we don’t even have a place to live.” Sam said. “And she’s got—stuff that she probably needs to work out, and…”

 

“Okay.” Dean said, his voice hard, emotionless.

 

“Dean…”

 

‘You’re right, okay?” Dean said. “I—you’re right. End of discussion.”

dean 

Martha 

“Just a little longer.” She said softly, and The Doctor stared at her, choosing to remain silent. Martha shut her eyes briefly, not wanting to start up the tears again, especially not in front of him. Once was enough to last her a lifetime. This one at least.

 

They were standing outside the TARDIS, all of them. Donna and Bobby, Sam. Jack had shown up just a few minutes ago, straightening his shirt as he looked back at the house. Ellen walked out the door slowly, her face as tough as ever, but a distinct flush to her skin that hadn’t been there before. And Martha remembered her previous words, the way she used to celebrate after a successful hunt. Apparently, that tradition was alive and well.

 

“Well, it was lovely meeting all of you.” Jack said, his eyes turning to Ellen. “Some more then others.”

 

“Fuck off.” She huffed, before pulling Martha into a brief hug.

 

“Don’t be a stranger.” Ellen said, and Martha nodded silently, not trusting her voice. She watched Donna move to Sam, and embrace him tightly, tears streaming down the woman’s face.

 

“You watch over yourself, don’t let those skinny little twats turn your eye or anything.” Donna said, and Sam just smiled, placing a soft kiss on her cheek.

 

“You have nothing to worry about, trust me. You’ve ruined me for women.”

 

Donna just rolled her eyes, and gave his arm a squeeze before nodding to Bobby and Ellen. She moved back to The Doctor and Jack side, and gave a small wave before grabbing hold of Jack’s arm.

 

“Holding on a little tight there...” Jack said, and she slapped his shoulder, cutting of the rest of his words. The Doctor walked forward, passing Martha to reach out a hand to Sam, who took it eagerly.

 

“You were brilliant, you know that?” The Doctor said. “And the offer still stands, for you to come with us.”

 

“Thanks.” Sam said, smiling broadly. “But I got—stuff here, demons to kill, that kind of thing. But I—what I saw….damn, that was awesome. Thank you.”

 

The Doctor smiled in that slightly manic way for of his. “No, thank you Sam.” He said. “I mean that.”

 

He released Sam’s hand and gave a quick salute to the rest of the group on the house steps.

 

“It was lovely meeting all of you, thought perhaps next time it can be under better circumstances. Like tea perhaps?”

 

“No offense Doctor.” Bobby said. “But I’d be real fine if I never saw your face again. I got enough shit down here without worryin’ what the fuck’s going on up there.”

 

The Doctor nodded slowly at his words.

 

“Fair enough then.” He said, and turned back to the TARDIS, waving a hand to indicate that Jack and Donna should follow. They both ignored him, watching Martha stare at Dean, who was currently leaning against the kitchen door, his body not moving an inch.

 

“Hello?” The Doctor said, and Donna shooed him away. He walked over and gripped both their arms, and they reluctantly began to move toward the TARDIS, delivering the occasional glance backwards.

 

“Take care of yourself girl” Bobby said, and he hugged her gently. Sam followed suit, and thanked her for taking care of his brother while he was away. And then they all left, passing by Dean as they walked into Ellen’s house, throwing quick glances his way.

 

Martha crossed her arms under her chest, and looked down to the ground for a moment. She heard him walk towards her, his feet heavy against the wood steps, and when she looked up again, he was only inches away.

 

“So I guess you’ll get on with the hunting then?” she said, and he nodded, his hands sliding into his pockets.

 

“Yeah.” Dean said. “And I guess you’ll—fly away in a fucking box.”

 

She smiled then, laughter bursting for as she met his eyes.

 

“I’m sorry.” She said, and his brows narrowed, as in confused.

 

“For what?” Dean said.

 

“That this couldn’t—that I can’t…”

 

“Martha, I’m a hunter.” Dean said quickly. “Hell, it’s not like I’m stable or anything, the longest relationship I’ve ever had was with my car.”

 

Martha looked over at the Impala, and felt the sadness creep up again.

 

“Well, it is pretty nice.” She said, and he smiled at her, his hands reaching out to pull her into him.

 

“Damn.” He whispered, lowering his mouth to hers. “I think you might be fucking perfect, you know that?”

 

“Not perfect.” Martha whispered back, her lips grazing his. “Just…a bit….brilliant….”

 

He kissed her then, his lips firm against hers, his tongue pushing past them to deliver a deep and thorough stroking inside her mouth. She pressed her body against him, sliding her fingers over the sensitive skin at his neck. When he lifted his head, she licked her lips gently, reveling in the taste of him on her skin.

 

“I’ll come back.” she whispered, and he only smiled.

 

“Martha…”

 

“I promise.” She said, her voice harder this time as she moved away. “I’ll come back after—I’ve worked all this out.”

 

“Okay.” Dean said, though he didn’t sound as if he believed her. But he was wrong, she would come back, wouldn’t rest until she saw him again.

 

“Well.” She said. “I guess I’m off then.” He nodded, and she began to back away slowly. She saw something flicker in his eyes, and for a moment she thought he was going to say something, maybe even ask her to stay.

 “Goodbye Martha Jones.”   

dean

Dean 

He did the right thing.

 

Dean told himself that as he watched her walk away from him, those dark eyes of hers turning away as she ran to the TARDIS. He was waiting for her, The Doctor. The only one who could help her with—whatever she was now.

 

Time Lord.

 

Hell, if that didn’t scream break-up, he didn’t know what did, but still—part of him wanted to fuck the entire thing. Take her hand and promise he’d settle down, stop hunting. A fence, a yard, whatever the hell she wanted if she’d just stay.

 

But he knew better. And so did she.

 

And so he only stood there as the TARDIS disappeared before his eyes, the sound of  large gears churning as the blue box faded into the night air. He didn’t move, could only look at the space the ship occupied, and try to swallow the hard lump that formed in his throat.

 

“It’s a bit cold out tonight, yeah?”

 

Dean spun around at the sound of her voice, his hand instantly reaching for the gun he kept at his side. His eyes widened when he saw her, clad in a black jacket and pants, her dark hair pulled back tightly from her face. She was slightly thinner, her eyes harder then before. But they softened as she looked at him, and trailed over his body slowly before lifting once more.  

 

“Bloody hell, you look so young.” She said, walking towards him. “I’d forgotten how damn cute you were—you aged well of course, but still….”

 

“Martha?” Dean said, and she smiled at him, a small dimple forming on her cheek. She moved forward, reaching out a hand to touch his face. Her fingers trailed across his skin softly, and he gripped them tightly, pressing them against his mouth.

 

“I told you I’d come back.” she said as she moved closer, tilting her mouth up to his. Once again, she whispered words against his lips, ones so low he almost didn’t hear them.

 

“I’ll always come back to you Dean.”

 

 

 

 

  

 The End






Chapter End Notes:

So that's pretty much it! Thanks to everyone who read this and stuck with it until the end, you have no idea how much fun this was for me to write! I always thought Martha would have made an excellent Time Lord, so that was pretty much where this fic got its start, that and a love for Supernatural. :)

Thanks so much for the reviews and comments, they were really appriecated and kept this fic going until the end. That and the hot Winchester boys. *sigh*