Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


we are shaped and fashioned by what we love...Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

 

Derek Rayne, Luna Foundation CEO and board member glanced at the large timepiece on the wall behind the speaker's head, then around the table silently willing each person around the large table to approve the last item on the agenda and adjourn the meeting.  He had several errands to complete before heading back to Angel Island, and he was determined to complete them before picking up his wife for dinner.  Derek's fingers drummed against the table loudly, a sign of his growing impatience.  His glance shot thoughts of bodily harm at the committee chair as he asked if there needed to be additional discussion on the question.

 *****

"Come on Nick you promised that we would see you in the new tux."  Alex raised her voice to be heard through the bathroom door.  Rachel held up her hand, fingers outstretched, "bet'cha five, that it has a holster sewn into the lining."  Alex grinned at her as she settled herself on the weight bench.

 

"No bet."

 

"What bet?" Asked Kristen who had just stepped into the room.

 

"On how great I look in my new tuxedo."  Nick said striding into the room.  He walked to where Kristen stood with an exaggerated swagger, bowed deeply at the waist and tipped an imaginary hat.  Turning to Rachel he took her hand in his and kissed her knuckles.  He enjoyed the look of astonishment on her face.  His last victim was Alex who he knelt in front of on one knee.

 

"Will this do my lady?"

 

"I do believe so, kind sir."  Alex signaled for him to stand and turn around.  "Damn you wash up good, Nicholas Boyle.  There's going to be quite a few women at the banquet drooling all over you."

 

A look of nervousness filled Nick's face, causing the women to smile.  "Just remember you three, promised to sit at my table.  I don't intend to be there all night carrying on polite conversation with people I don't know.

 

"Oh, we'll be there."  Rachel said looking first at Alex then Kristen.  "I think having three gorgeous women at your table ought to raise your reputation by several points in some circles."

 

Nick shook his head as he slipped off the jacket.  "You three are going to milk this for all it is worth."

 

"Every drop."  Alex said rising slowly from the bench.

 *****

Derek found the group sitting, sprawled, and propped on various pieces of furniture around the spacious living room.  He stood in the doorway a light smile on his lips.  He was proud of these people whom he counted as friends and colleagues.  Randolph Hitchcock, once friend now enemy had told him one true thing during their last confrontation, that these people were his family.  He looked around for Alex and found her lying prone on the floor; her feet propped up on the sofa.  His heart raced for a moment as the thought that something was wrong.  But, everyone else looked relaxed and calm so he did the same.  Loosening his tie he stepped into the room.

 

Nick looked up from the catalogue open across his legs, following Derek's gaze to where Alex lay.  "She was being bad so we put her in time out."

 

"Was not," everyone laughed at the little girl voice coming from Alex.

 

Kristen set up from where she was laying on the sofa.  "Alex is resting.  She helped with cataloging the last of the Humphrey’s collection."

 

Derek shook his head in frustration, his eyes on the woman laying a few feet away.  She looked calm and inviting, when in reality she probably felt anything but.  Alex was three days past her due date.  The obstetrician had advised, one did not order Alexandra Moreau-Rayne to do anything.  He had advised her to rest as much as she could.  But his wife seemed determined to do the opposite of rest and relax.  That was one of the reason's he wanted to have dinner in the city tonight. The other was to show her how much she and the coming of their child meant to him.

 

Alex looked up at Derek.  "Hi, good looking."  Her hand motioned for him to sit down next to her.

 

"How are you both?"  Derek asked as he folded himself onto the floor beside her.

 

"We're fine. I was dragging a little and Rachel suggested rest.  So I've been here twiddling my thumbs waiting for a tall, rather handsome man to arrive and carry me away.  Now that you're here, I'm ready to be wined and dined."

 

"Watered and dined," corrected Rachel as she closed the folder in which she was making notes.

 

"Party pooper," Alex complained.

 

Derek leaned over and kissed the cheek closest to him.

 

"Naw, baby you don't get away with just that," Alex pulled on his tie.  The kiss started lightly, a greeting that deepened with each second they stayed in contact.  Alex let herself float in the feeling building between them.

 

Neither acknowledged the groan from the chair across from them.  "They're at it again."  Nick said wadding up a piece of paper and throwing it at the two lovers.

 

Alex broke the kiss, "we ignoring you, Boyle."

 

"Easier said than done," Nick threw another wad in their direction.

 

Alex moved first, her hand tapping Derek on the knee.  "You better change so we can leave before Nick buries us in paper."

 

Derek rose smoothly.  Taking a short step he slipped his hands beneath Alex's arms and lifted her to her feet.  With a hand at the small of her back he followed her out of the room.

 *****

Nick threw his last wad of paper at the house psychiatrist.  Rachel looked at him then Kristen who pointed to the doorway.  Shaking her head in resignation Rachel rose from the chair.

 

"Alex can I borrow you husband for a few moments?"  Rachel looked up at the couple from the bottom of the stairs.

 

"Sure Rachel."

 

Derek took several steps back towards Rachel.  “If this is about Legacy business, you and Nick handle it."  He said, anxious to join Alex.

 

Rachel watched Alex enter the hallway leading to the bedrooms.  "No, Derek, this is about Alex.  She needs to slow down.  She's too advanced in her pregnancy for twelve-hour days.  Today after working with Kristen she was a little sluggish so I checked her blood pressure.  It was slightly elevated and her ankles are swelling."

 

Derek looked down at Rachel, then up to where he knew Alex was waiting for him.  "Is it anything serious.  Maybe we should just stay home tonight."

 

"No.  She'd strangled us both.  But I do think that you should talk her into getting more rest until that child is born."

 

Derek gave Rachel a quick smile.  "I will."

 

"Good.  Now where are you taking our girl?"

 

"Cliff House."

 

"Nice choice."

 

"I hope so.  It's been so long since we've gone out without one of us being required to perform at some function."

 

Rachel smiled her understanding.  Being a mother, a member of the Legacy, plus a practicing psychiatrist left her little time to have a social life.  And given that Alex and Derek were both driven by their careers, she recognized the need to reconnect.  "Have a great time."

 

Derek hurried up the stairs eager to start the evening.  He entered the room, jacket and tie in one hand, belt in the other.  He threw everything on the bed as he kicked off his shoes.  "You ready?"

 

"Almost."  Alex exited the bathroom, stepping aside as Derek hurried past her. She made several light dabs on the inside of her wrist with a small vial of perfume and combed her hair as she waited.

 

Moments later with a towel over his head and one barely hanging on around his waist, Alex watched as he went through his dressing ritual.  He walked around gathering up items until the towel began to slip down his body, revealing her favorite parts.

 

"What did Rachel want?"

 

Derek's answer was a light pause as he pulled on a sock.

 

"She wants you to talk me into lazying about more often."

 

Derek looked back at Alex.  "Ease dropping?"

 

"No.  I just figured she would say something after the lecture she gave me this evening."

 

"Will you consider it?" Derek held her gaze.

 

"Yes. Your son is demanding more of my attention.

 

Derek sat up from tying his shoes.  "Are you in discomfort?"

 

“No.”

 

Alex watched Derek pull on a forest green cable knit sweater, smoothing it over charcoal gray dress slacks.  Pride filled her at the sight of him.  Five years of marriage, different careers and a variety of community and political commitments had not lessened her love or trust in the man before her.  His eyes reflected back her feelings, strengthening the link between them.

 

Derek walked over to where Alex sat on the edge of the bed.  Kneeling he sat between her legs his head resting on her stomach.  Alex picked up the towel he had discarded and started to rub his hair.  They both smiled at the sudden movement between them as the baby kicked several times.  Alex shifted Derek's head to get at a different section.  "He’s preparing himself."

 

Derek turned so that he could rub the hump that was one end of his child.  "Maybe he's just hungry like his father."

 

"Maybe," Alex planted a quick kiss on the side of Derek's face.  Wanting more Derek knelt before her, his hands resting on her thighs.  Alex couldn't hold her grin at the look on his face.

 

"Are we going anywhere besides this room?"

 

“Uh, uh.”  Threading his fingers into her hair Derek pulled her closer until her lips meshed against his own.  He nibbled lightly at their softness until Alex's lips opened to him; her breath came in soft puffs against his tongue, filling him.  

 

Alex pulled back from him reluctantly.  "If we are going, I need you to fasten these buttons for me."

 

Derek moved his hands from Alex's face to the back of her dress.  His eyes held hers as he fastened the three buttons on the mock turtleneck.   He smiled, pleased at the blush beneath her skin and the way her pulse raced at the side of her neck against his wrist.   He never doubted that she was attracted to him, but in the fast pace of living their lives he sometimes wondered if they could maintain all the connections.  His fingers lingered on the final button enjoying the heat flowing back and forth between them.

 

His closeness and the look of desire in his eyes caused tiny shivers to move deep within Alex.  She gripped the sides of his sweater her eyes narrowing as the sensations deepened.  “If you don’t behave…we...are...going...to....be...very…late."

 

Derek couldn’t stop smiling.

 *****

Alex hated to admit it, but the twinges she was experiencing were telling her that she needed to call a halt to the casual walk they had decided to take until their table was ready.  "Lets sit for a while."

 

Derek squinted slightly to see her face more clearly in the weak light of the lamps lining the walkway.  He led her to a bench.  "Do I need to call Michael?"

 

"No, just a few twinges.  Everyone has warned me to expect subtle hints this far along.  If we rest here, I think they will stop.  This child is moving faster than I can get ready for."

 

Derek moved his hand from her shoulder to the middle of her back.  His fingers massaging in small circles.  Alex sighed in contentment as tightened muscles relaxed under his fingers.   "We don't have to do this.  I planned this evening for both of us and if you can't enjoy yourself..." The beeper at his side sounded twice.

 

Alex gripped Derek's thigh as she stood.  "Our table is ready."

 

He looked up at her face for other signs of distress.  Wrapping is arm around her he inhaled deeply, taking in the delicate perfume, her favorite.  Standing a light wind blew strands of her hair across his face, tickling the side of his neck and cheek.   Alex moved closer soaking up the strength of his arms.

 

“I’m not ready to go home.  I need these moments with you.  Soon we’ll be parents and our time together even more limited.” 

 

Derek turned Alex until she was facing the restaurant and gave her a gently push.  “After you Mrs. Rayne.”

 

At the door Alex gave their name and handed the waitress the beeper.

 

"Two, non-smoking, correct?"

 

"Yes."

 

"This way please."   The young woman led them to a small intimate alcove of glass and wood.  Alex lowered herself slowly into the chair, Derek held out for her.  Sitting next to her, he rubbed the back of her hand.

 

"You're hovering."  Alex said kindly but with enough force for Derek to understand.

 

"I don't intend for this child to be born in my car because his mother is being stubborn."

 

Alex laughed.  "Nor do I plan on you delivering him."

 

"Are you saying I couldn't handle the delivery?"

 

Alex looked around the room at the other patrons.  "No, I just think you'd have a hard time, letting someone else help."

 

A waiter came to the table.  He placed menus and glasses of water before them.  "Good evening, my name is Chad.  I'll be your waiter tonight.  What would you like to drink?"

 

"Warm tea,” Alex said as Derek picked up a menu.

 

"Ice tea for me." Derek added.

 

"Would either of you like an appetizer?"

 

Alex shook her head no, leaving Derek to decide for himself.

 

"No, thank you."

 

"I'll be right back with you drinks."  The young man pocketed his pad and pencil, lit the large candle in the middle of the table and left the room.  The candle threw fine threads of light then shadow across the table.

 

Minutes later the waiter returned with their drinks and with a slight smile placed a large glass vase on the table before Alex.   Alex stared at the delicate glass creation before her.  The vase was etched with two figures in a close embrace with a small heart joining them at the chest.  The couple stood in a field of swirls that encircled the bottom of the vase.  Five delicate Spider Orchids of pale green crystal stood in a bed of deep green glass beads.  Longs strands of glass leaves draped over the sides.  Light from the candle and the overhead lighting glittered off and through the glass adding color to the booth.  "It’s beautiful."  Alex whispered looking at Derek, unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

 

"I wanted you to have something that would celebrate our love and the birth of our child."

 

"I have." She though of the child within her womb.

 

Alex looked into Derek’s eyes remembering when she first knew she loved him.   "Do you remember how furious I was with you when you returned our group paper in Ancient Religious Texts?"

 

Derek was momentarily thrown by her shift in conversation, his mind going back to their time at Loyloa.  Alex had taken several of his classes while he served as adjunct faculty.  She had been very vocal in her displeasure at his comments on the group's paper.  They had argued often about many details in that class, including his teaching style.

 

"I fell in love with you that semester."  Her eyes were still on the vase, a soft smile lighting her face.

 

"I thought you were going to hit me with that piece of sculpture."

 

"I was tempted."  Alex focused on the face that she cared for so deeply.  Her eyes tracked every line new and old.  Her focus widened to take in more.  The nose he often complained about.  Lips softer and gentler than they looked, a chin which gave the whole character.

 

"If you knew you loved me, why did it take three years for me to woo you?"

 

"I've always understood that you are a man who loves a challenge."

 *****

"Dr. Rayne, there is a phone call for you in the lounge."  Chad entered effectively interrupting Derek's comeback.

 

All evening Alex had been expecting someone or something to interfere with the evening.  Her husband worked hard to include her in his world but she knew Derek loved and needed his work a little more than he needed her.  She had faced that fact long before she had agreed to marry him.  Smiling at him she waved him away from the table. 

 

"Please ask the chef to hold our order until Mr. Rayne returns."  Alex said ever practical.

 

The waiter nodded in the affirmative and stepped away from the table.   Derek understood his wife better than she knew.   She would not keep him from doing what he felt was necessary, but neither would she wait for him all evening.  "Don't you leave.  We're going to finish this dinner.  Nothing is going to ruin this."

 

Alex watched Derek walk away as proud of the back of him as the front.  Broad shoulders, holdable hips and legs like...what was the saying the older women use to say as they sat on her grandmother’s porch people watching.  “Legs strong enough to guide a horse and gentle enough to hold a woman.”  A small chuckle escaped Alex at the thought.  The little bout of humor was replaced by thoughts of another night of waiting anxiously until Derek was home safe.  Her attention shifted again as her son stretched.  She watched in fascination as a small mound moved across the top of her stomach.  We are so blessed, little one.  Alex visualized the tiny body; arms outstretched, legs extended as far as space would allow.  Just like your father, she thought smiling to herself.  Derek stretched with his whole body, even his face.  She was so caught up in the image it was awhile before she realized Derek had returned.

 

He stood smiling at Alex, his hands deep in the pockets of his slacks.  He had come back relieved that he could tell her that he was totally hers for the remainder of the evening.   He was content.  It wasn't often that he was allowed time to just look at her.

 

"Okay tell me."  Alex waited to hear that someone was in danger or something or someone evil had made itself known and he had to leave.

 

"Rachel wanted you to know that Mr. Hargrove called to extend his congratulations to you on preliminary approval of your grant proposal.  He also wanted you to know that the reviewer's have a few comments and if you need assistance to give him a call."

 

A resounding, "YES!"  Exploded from Alex and she flashed a huge grin in her husband's direction.  "I'll have him fax me the paperwork and call the committee when we get home.  It shouldn't be a struggle to supply whatever additional information the reviewers need."

 

Derek watched the glow in Alex's eyes and it brought to mind Rachel's suggestion.  "Not tonight."  He said sitting down at the table, his eyes focused on her stomach.  Alex started to argue but stopped at the vague look on Derek's face.  She waited until he was more focused.  "What is it?"

 

Derek rested his hand on the top of her stomach, then drew it down the front.  "He's tired of being confined."

 

"He and me both."  Alex's hands played nervously with the silverware.  She shifted her spoon and fork back and forth, and just for variety she added the knife from Derek's place setting.

 

"Can you hear him?"  Alex asked, acknowledging the connection between father and son.

 

"I’m getting a feeling of frustration."

 

"Well, well, that's something for his journal," Alex looked down at her stomach.  Since entering her last trimester she had felt a growing awareness coming from the child.  "Do you remember the first time you consciously sent or received a psychic impression?"

 

"I was three or four.  I remember being extremely sad, without knowing why.  I was told later that a friend of my mother had died in an accident.  I was picking up impressions from the adults around me."

 

Alex intertwined her fingers with Derek's.  "Seems genes will prevail."  The knot beneath their hands moved again.  "Anything?"

 

"He's sleepy."  Derek grinned.

 

Derek thanked the waiter as he handed him a dessert menu and took away the used dishes.  Alex shook her head no when Derek held the menu out to her.  She felt guilty enough that she had been unable to do justice to the delicious meal.  Derek looked over the menu at her.  "I could have coffee and dessert or, we could dance?"

 

Alex listened to the music thinking it would be a delightful way to end the evening.  She held out her hand to her husband.  "I want to dance."

 *****

Alex shifted her head slightly on Derek's shoulder, her hands moving up and down his back in time to the music.  "We haven't danced this way since our third anniversary party."

 

"What party?"

 

"You're right.  You left me to entertain our guest while you and Rachel ran off to dispatch some poor old ghost, haunting some house in Cleveland.  You owe me Derek Rayne."

 

Derek laughed into the soft curls of her hair, pulling her closer.  "A lifetime Alexandra Rayne."

 

"Just promise we'll do this again, in three months time."

 

"I promise."  Derek was confident he could keep his word.

 

THE END





Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: All main characters and the premise of Poltergeist: The Legacy belongs to Richard B. Lewis, Trilogy and MGM/USA productions. No financial copyright infringement is intended. Not one pecunia has exchanged hands. I just wander into the same playground from time to time and humbly ask to be allowed to play.