Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
One Life to Live owns the characters of Todd, Evangeline and Layla everything else is all me.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Checking his reflection once more in the mirror, Todd straightened his lapels for what seemed the one hundredth time.
“Dad, don’t you think you’ve fixed yourself enough?” Jack asked.
“Well, sport, I think I just have to look extra special for your mom today.” Todd replied.
“But, Dad, isn’t that what girls do?”
Todd laughed, “Yea…well men do too on special occasions such as today. Now let me look at you.” He said as he crouched down. “Hmm…let’s see. Well, Jack, I can see that you’re almost spiffy looking yourself.”
“What do you mean almost, Dad?” Jack asked while adjusting his suit and brushing his hands through his hair.
Smiling, Todd said, “I mean what’s that stain on your shirt and your barn door seems to be open.”
Jack looked down and looked back up at his father. “I think its toothpaste.” He said as he zipped up his pants.
“Well I think you should go to the bathroom and try to see if you can get that toothpaste off your shirt. What do you think?”
“Yea, you’re right.” Jack said as he turned to walk out the door. He paused when he reached the door. “Dad?”
“Yes, son?”
“Is this the last time you and mom are getting married?”
Todd looked thoughtfully at his son. “Yes, son, it is.”
“Are you sure, Dad?”
“Positive. Why do you ask?”
“Because you said that the last time, Dad. You and mom are always talking about how you’re going to be together forever but it never happens. What makes this time different?”
Todd looked at his son who suddenly seemed more mature overnight. “Well, sport, your mom and I have decided that this is absolutely the last time or else we’ll never try again. Both of us are growing tired of the merry-go-round which is Todd and Blair and we’re ready to make it stick.”
Jack still looked unconvinced. “Dad, I’m just tired of you and mom being apart, that’s all.”
“Look, Jack, your mother and I know this has been hard on you and your sister with all the back and forth between us, but this time is forever.”
“You promise?”
“Jack, I can’t promise that because who knows what the future holds, but I will promise that we will make a better effort to make things work between us. Will that work?”
“I guess so.” Jack conceded.
“Good. Now go to the bathroom and work on getting that toothpaste off your shirt.”
“Okay, Dad.”
Todd watched his son walk out the door. He knew Jack worried about him and Blair. But Todd meant every word he had said to Jack. He and Blair were really going to make it work this time. Plus, was happy again and he hadn’t been since, Evangeline died. Todd paused as a tear threatened to escape as he reflected back on the loss of his dearest friend, the woman who he fell in love with. “Evangeline, I miss you so much. I only wish I would’ve taken you with me. You’d be here now.” After he heard about Evangeline’s death, he decided to put her importance to him locked safely in his heart and to move on with his life. He didn’t feel that Evangeline would want him mired down in his grief, even though a piece of him died with her. He and Blair were finally working their issues out and putting their past behind them and starting anew. Blair had done a complete 180 degree from who she used to be since he came back from Chicago. She was the Blair he loved all those years ago. They were finally going to put their family back together. Todd looked once again at his reflection. “Perfect. Just like today is going to be.” He said aloud. Everything just seemed to be falling into place. As if today were “destined” to be. Todd walked over to the table and picked up his buttoner to put it on his lapel. A knock sounded at the door, “Jack, why are you knocking. Just come on in. I’m trying to put this flower on straight and I think the flower is winning the struggle.” He added with a smile still struggling with the buttoner. “Jack, can you go ask Starr to come here and help me with this? I seemed to have developed butter fingers all of a sudden.” He said as he turned again to face the mirror.
“Hello, Todd.”
Todd caught full sight of the person reflected back in the mirror. He gasped as he dropped the flower. “Evangeline?”
“Yes. Surprise!”
All rational thoughts flew out of his mind as he beheld the woman he thought was lost to him forever. “Evangeline? How? When? They told me you were gone.” Evangeline walked closer to where Todd was standing. She was even more beautiful then he last remembered. His breath still caught in his chest at the sight of her.
“Well, I guess, technically I was gone. I’ve been in a coma in a nursing home.”
“What!? I thought you were dead. Evangeline, I grieved for you. I thought I’d never see you again. Why did everyone say you were dead?”
“Because I was the target for the hate group and it was better if they thought I was dead or else they would make sure I really was dead. Only Layla and Bo really knew the truth.”
“Everyone is probably going to think you’re a ghost or something. What if someone sees you? You could still be in danger.”
“Its okay, Todd. Actually, I’ve been out of the coma for a while now and since they’ve put the hate group behind bars, it’s okay for me to come back. I’ve seen some people and everyone understands where I’ve been.”
“But, Evangeline, what about me? How come you didn’t call me or let me know what had happened or that you were alright or alive for that matter?”
“Todd, I didn’t call anyone. I couldn’t. Not until we knew for sure that I wasn’t in any more danger. Nora told me the other day about you and Blair getting married and I thought this would be the perfect place for me to see you.”
“Evangeline, I’m your best friend. You knew you could trust me and I could protect you. You know that I would’ve done damn near anything for you. I was heartbroken when I found out about you. I didn’t think my heart would mend because I felt that with your death a part of me died. Do you have any idea how I’ve felt all these months?”
“Todd, I swear to you. I am really sorry, but I felt that I did what was best for me. Can you understand that?” Todd simply stared at Evangeline, not relenting. Evangeline walked even closer to Todd and put her hand on his cheek. “Todd, please?”
Todd knew he could never resist Evangeline. “I guess. I’m just still trying to grasp what’s going on. Give me a hug.”
“Thank you.” Evangeline said as Todd enfolded her in his arms. Todd squeezed her as if she was not real. “Todd, you’re squeezing me too hard.”
“I know.” He murmured against her hair.
Evangeline began to extricate herself from his arms and she pulled herself away. “Looks like all of Llanview has turned out for your wedding to Blair even though this is another remarriage.” She added with a laugh. “And I couldn’t miss my best friend getting married to the love of his life. Let me help you with that buttoner.” She said as she picked the delicate rosebud off the ground. “Stand still so I don’t stick you.” She said smiling. Evangeline picked up one corner of Todd’s jacket and pinned the rosebud on. “There, Mr. Manning, I do believe you are ready to get married.” During the whole time she was talking, Todd was staring at her transfixed. “Earth to Todd. Why are you looking at me like that?”
“I’m just still in shock I guess?”
“Is that good or bad?”
“It’s definitely good. Give me another hug.” Todd closed in on Evangeline again this time gathering her gently in his arms. This hug was different from the first hug. This hug made all of the familiar emotions and feelings well up in an instant. A single tear fell from Todd’s eyes. “God, Evangeline, I can’t believe you’re still alive. I thought I lost you forever. Evangeline, you have no idea how lost I’ve been without you. Almost as if I’ve been sleepwalking through life. You were my light in the fog, you grounded me, and you were one of the few people I could trust.”
“Well I am one of a kind. I mean who could replace me?”
“No one. No one at all.” He said as he gently caressed her face.
“Well, Todd you don’t have to worry about that. I’ll still be here for you, although, not as much as I was in the past. Blair didn’t seem to appreciate it too much.”
At the mention of Blair’s name, Todd suddenly remembered why he was here. He pulled back from Evangeline’s embrace, though still holding her hands. “Yea, I don’t think she was very fond of you.”
“You think? She was threatened by our friendship.” Evangeline looked down at her watch. “Anyways, it’s almost time for your wedding to start and I’m going to take my seat in the back.”
Todd looked at Evangeline for a long time. “It should be you up there standing beside me.”
“Yea, well, I don’t think Blair would appreciate me as your best man, well best woman.”
“That’s not what I meant.”
“Well it seems everything has worked out for the best. Congratulations again and good luck.” Evangeline said as she leaned forward to kiss Todd on the cheek. As she came forward, Todd’s head moved and their lips met. Evangeline gasped as Todd began to devour her mouth. Their tongues mingled as Todd pulled Evangeline even closer to him. Evangeline tore her mouth away from his.
“Todd, wait, this isn’t right.”
“Yes, it is. You have no idea Evangeline, no idea at all how I’ve felt.” He said as he pulled her face back towards his. Evangeline turned her head before his lips could hit their mark. She put her hand on his chest.
“Todd….”
“No, Evangeline.” He interrupted. “This is right. This is so right. It was right in the elevator and it was right on Llantano Mountain.” He said as he pulled her to him again. “Evangeline, please don’t tell me to stop.”
Evangeline looked at Todd for a long time. “I….I”
Todd’s eyes drifted to her mouth and then back to her eyes as his head slowly descended. The warm pressure of his lips on hers, made Evangeline forget what she was going to say. Todd felt her acquiescence and increased his exploration of her mouth as he slowly backed her against the door frame. When Evangeline felt her back against the hard door she moaned. Todd heard her moan and smiled against her lips. His hands slowly moved up her body coming to rest under her breasts. He pulled his lips away from hers and then he kissed his way down her neck. One of his hands found her breast and slowly began stroking it. Evangeline moaned as she entwined her hands in his hair. “Oh, Todd.” Todd’s lips found hers once again and plundered them with his tongue. Evangeline’s leg unconsciously lifted and wrapped around him. Todd’s hand traveled down her body to find the warmth in between. As he found his mark, Evangeline gasped. He slowly began stroking as he pulled his mouth away from hers and looked into her eyes. “Evangeline, tell me you don’t want me. Tell me you don’t want this.”
Evangeline looked at Todd, “I can’t,” and she pulled his face back towards hers. A knock sounded on the door. “Todd, it’s time.” Vicki said.
Todd pulled his mouth away from Evangeline’s but didn’t release his hold on her. “Okay, I’ll be out in a minute.”
“Okay Todd, but you don’t want to be late to your own wedding.” Vicki replied.
Evangeline immediately snapped out of the haze. “Oh my God, what are we doing?” She said as she pulled herself away from Todd and put her hand on the door knob.
Todd released his hold on her. “Evangeline…wait...don’t go yet.”
“Todd, I have to. You’re about to get married and we…”
“Evangeline,” Todd interrupted. “I know but this is been happening for a long time between us.”
Evangeline turned around to face Todd. “Okay, so we’ll just chalk it up for old time’s sake. Two friends being attracted to each other on a physical level.”
“Evangeline, come on. You know this is more than something physical between us. There’s more here.”
“No, Todd, you come on. You’re about to get married to Blair and I am not a home wrecker. Look, Todd, I’ll stay for the wedding but afterwards you won’t see me for a while.”
“What do you mean?” Where are you going?”
“I need some time away…from all of this?”
“What do you mean all of this? You mean, away from me?”
“Todd, this is just so damn confusing to me.”
“You think this isn’t for me?”
“I’m just doing what I think is best for me. Look, Todd, you’ll see me again. It’s not like I’m going away forever. I’m just going to go on vacation somewhere.”
“Where?”
“I don’t know. Maybe the Bahamas or something. I’ll see you when I get back.” She said as she put her hand on the doorknob again. Todd saw Evangeline walking out the door, out of his life again.
“Evangeline, please, don’t go.” He said as he put his hand on top of hers on the door knob.
“Todd, please move away from me. I have to get out of here.”
“Don’t run away from me.” He said as he turned her to face him.
“Why would I run away from you?”
“Evangeline, you know why. Look, can you honestly stand there and tell me that you feel nothing for me.”
“Todd…I do feel….”
“Dad, it’s time to start. Aunt Vicki said she already came down here once. What are you doing in there?” Starr yelled through the door.
“Starr, I just need a minute.” He said his eyes never leaving Evangeline’s.
“Surely you’re not nervous Dad. It’s not like the two of you haven’t been married before.” She said as she walked away from the door.
“Now, what were you saying?”
“Nothing. Why should I stay?”
Todd reached his hand up to push the hair out Evangeline’s face and rested his hand on her cheek. “Because….”