Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This occurs after A New Frontier and Familiar Strangers and is based off TOS: The Apple. There is also heavy reference to An Act of Faith and A Double-Moon Lazy Evening. I hope you enjoy and please forgive errors!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.





Ever since her doomed relationship with Masego while she’d been at the Academy, Uhura had vowed never to fall in love with a fellow officer—especially one who served on the same installation as she.

Then she’d met Spock, and she’d known within the first five minutes of being in his presence that promise would be broken.

No, it hadn’t been love at first sight, but there had been intrigue and a certain amount of lust. To attain the unattainable, and Spock was definitely unattainable. So, instead, she’d made him her personal standard-bearer—the closer one got to “Spock Level”, the better chance that person could take her out…maybe more. It didn’t help the others who were in that vicinity were also unattainable—Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy—but they at least provided a harmless outlet to alleviate some of that tension.

Then again, there were times McCoy drifted right out of harmless into very dangerous, but he was quite good and reeling himself back in.

She and Sulu had tried when she’d first come aboard the Enterprise, but after that first date and a kiss at her quarters’ door, both knew they were better off as friends. Although sometimes she saw the helmsman look at her with attraction in his eyes and a wistful expression, and she’d return with a gentle smile, but neither had the inclination to give it another go. This was totally illogical since she didn’t desire to fall in love in the first place, but she wanted Sulu’s friendship more than anything else he could offer. In fact, it had been Sulu to bring her up from the communications deck to the bridge when Lieutenant Alden had switched over from Communications to Engineering.

Nevertheless, she and Spock had built a rapport between them, no doubt helped by her growing an extra set of ovaries and asking him to teach her to play the ka’athyra. Being able to spend off-duty time with him had mitigated her crush a bit, so she’d felt comfortable searching out more romantic relationships with others.

She’d met Boma on a shore leave of all things. He was brilliant, from Tulsa, Oklahoma. They’d shared memories of their respective childhoods and had started spending a lot of time together. He’d been a very excellent kisser and his touch had been extraordinary…but she couldn’t bring herself to go further than heavy petting. There’d always been something a little too singularly aggressive for her liking.

And then Taurus II happened.

Uhura was unaware she had placed herself right into that boiling pot of grease called peril by even starting her friendship with Spock until she’d come so close to losing him, when the realization that 1.) Boma was really a jerk and 2.) she’d smashed her vow into smithereens hit her square in the chest. Everything she’d been feeling as she’d, like a little girl, told Spock she was glad he was okay, was exactly why she’d not wanted to give her heart to a colleague. That idea to surrender her body for a night, maybe two, but that was it—she couldn’t even do that because Spock had unwittingly ruined her…or flat-out sent her quarry running for the hills as he’d done with poor Luxela. But a fellow officer meant new orders at any time or dangerous landing parties one didn’t necessarily come back from; and considering Spock was on just about every other one, he was the absolute worst person to desire.

Oh, he was a Vulcan, too, just to put the icing on the “don’t touch him with a fifty-meter pole!” cake.

Yet, she’d touched him…and more…which was why she was in her quarters half reading a message from her mother instead of searching out Spock after his landing party’s return from Gamma Trianguli VI. McCoy, ever the consummate storyteller, had shared the unofficial recount of the events that had happened while planetside as they ate dinner in the mess hall. It’d been hard to keep her horror at the level of one concerned for a superior officer, especially with Christine sitting next to McCoy documenting all of the injuries Spock had sustained in dramatic fashion. Uhura had ignored the heat of McCoy’s eyes, keeping her attention on Chekov, who’d been snuggling up next to Landon, or Scotty, who’d been sitting next to her describing what he’d been doing to help save the Enterprise. When the report was done, Uhura had wished them all a goodnight, citing she had a message from her mother she needed to view.

“Spock’s all right, though. Damn Vulcan—just released himself after his ‘healing trance’ was done. I mean, he knows how to make a doctor feel obsolete…”

Uhura hid her smile by ducking her head and gathering her used napkins and drinking glasses onto her tray. McCoy thought he was so slick, giving out that information on the “sly”…and she loved him dearly for it.

She’d left the mess hall with Scotty and Christine convincing McCoy of otherwise. Once in her quarters, she’d changed into a pair of sleep shorts and a camisole, intending to do some reading in bed after playing her mother’s message. But when her door buzzed, she knew that was not going to happen.

“Come in,” she said on a resigned sigh, turning off her monitor.

Spock entered, his hands behind his back and a curious eyebrow raised. Uhura brought her knees to her chest and remained in the chair.

“Good evening,” he said.

“Good evening, Spock.”

Raising his other eyebrow, Spock came closer to her, close enough she could feel the heat of him hit her shins, but they weren’t touching. “Are you well?”

She blinked at him. “Are you?”

He nodded once. “Much improved.”

Uhura chuckled and shook her head. It would be folly and unproductive to lie to him. “No, I am not well. How could I be, knowing what went down on that planet?”

“I see.”

She looked at his right torso where his heart beat and sighed wearily. “You are a Starfleet officer, the first officer, in fact, of the USS Enterprise. I am a Starfleet officer on the same installation. We knew the dangers and risks involved before even entering the Academy. Therefore, I cannot go running to you whenever you get a booboo, especially since I wouldn’t expect you to do the same for me.”

“That is correct,” Spock said, “which is why I am here, so you do not have to do the running all of the time.”

Uhura snapped her eyes up to his, spying the humor in them. She sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes, looking away so he couldn’t see the mirth in them. She sighed again, this time with relief, when his hot hand smoothed down her hair to the nape of her neck. She twisted to him and put her feet on the floor, spreading her legs apart so Spock could step between them. She wrapped her arms around his waist and pressed her cheek directly underneath his heartbeat. She inhaled his copper scent and moaned.

“I’m glad you’re all right, Spock.”

“Do not ever think you cannot come to me, Nyota. I have to admit, it is nice to know someone cares so deeply for me.”

“The captain and Len do,” she muttered into his stomach.

“While that is true, it is curiously not the same.”

Uhura giggled against his ribs. “They don’t want to kiss your booboos like I do!”

“I would sincerely hope they do not,” he said dryly, his fingers kneading the tension out of her shoulders.

Her laughter subsided and she pulled back to look into his eyes. “I’ll do my best to contain the urge.”

He squeezed her shoulders, his eyes becoming soft and dark like fudge as they gazed into hers. “If that is your desire, you may do so. However, Nyota, I thought you knew by now you possess liberties I grant to few others…even myself.”

She stared at him for a meaningful moment, then pressed her cheek back over his heartbeat. Spock started to rub her shoulders once more, but he ceased when her lips touched the space over his heart.

“I was not injured there,” he said quietly.

“I know, but its beating is precious to me nonetheless,” Uhura replied, removing her arms from his waist to slide her hands underneath his tunic and undershirt. They began rising up his torso and caused the hem of his clothing to travel northward as well. Her fingers felt the soft hairs of his chest before her eyes garnered visual confirmation, and then she saw eleven green pricks where his heart would be if he were fully human. She kissed each one softly, lingeringly.

Spock groaned low. “Nyota…”

“Perhaps you should take off your shirt so that I may have full access,” Uhura said against the spots on his chest.

Not verbally responding, Spock did as suggested. She sighed against his hot flesh and slid her hands up his back, recoiling when she felt puckered skin.

“The lightning strike,” he reminded her.

“Jeez, did that planet put out a hit on your or what?” Uhura asked, spinning him around so she could see. The area was green and angry, Uhura touching it with gentle yet trembling fingers.

He cleared his throat. “I was hit by lightning, yes.”

Uhura smiled and brushed her lips against the injury. “No, Spock. I meant it seemed as if the planet had a vendetta out against you.”

“Ah.”

She kept her kisses light, unsure if he would experience discomfort should she apply more pressure. Uhura smiled into his back when his fingers intertwined with hers as his waist.

“Better?” she asked.

“Illogical, but I prefer your method of healing to the doctor’s.”

Uhura laughed, drifting her nose against his spine. “It’s that TLC you can’t get in sickbay—tender loving care.”

“Perhaps I should make it a point to come to you immediately after seeing, Doctor McCoy…”

“Or summon me to your quarters; I’ll be there, Spock.”

He brought her palms to his mouth and placed long kisses into the centers of them. Uhura had to stand so he could accomplish this feat, and her chest pressed against his back. He turned her hands over to graze his lips over her knuckles, and Uhura shuddered.

“Did Doctor McCoy tell you the inhabitants on the planet did not know anything about procreation?” he asked against her fingers.

A deep throb materialized in her lower belly. “Um, I don’t think I was paying attention…”

“I thought it fascinating. There were no children. I suggested the ‘ruler’ on that planet, Vaal, would give them instructions should someone needed to be replaced.”

“Replaced?”

“Someone died.”

“But if that were true, wouldn’t they know what a child was?”

“They did not appear to know what death was, so I do not think Vaal had ever needed to give anyone instructions.”

Frowning, Uhura leaned against Spock’s back. “That doesn’t make sense!”

“No, it does not.”

Suddenly, Uhura let out a wry breath. “Shoot, it’s been so long for me maybe I need instructions!”

Spock became very still, his breathing almost nonexistent, then he turned to face her. She couldn’t look away even if she desired to, but then she would’ve missed his lips capturing hers.

“I would be a most willing tutor for such a reeducation, Nyota,” he murmured against her mouth.

The throb shot straight to her center and she sagged against him. Spock kissed her again, his hand sliding up and down her torso until he cupped a breast in his hand. Uhura groaned as he kneaded the flesh, his scalding thumb stroking the nipple to a hard, tight point. His mouth left hers to dance along her jaw, his teeth nipping skin tenderly.

“Spock…”

“Yes, khio’ri-kam,” he replied, his mouth underneath her earlobe.

Uhura groaned again. Dear Star! “Oh, Spock…”

His lips went back down her neck to the slope of her shoulder, his teeth tugging one of the straps of her camisole over the ball of her shoulder. His hands cupped her behind and brought her directly into his hardened crotch. Uhura gasped again and gripped his biceps, especially when he held her so tightly she rose to the balls of her feet.

“Should we be doing this?” she asked breathlessly, her nails digging into his skin while her head fell back against the onslaught of his mouth along her collarbone.

“Should we not?”

“You’re injuries…?”

“Are healed. All you see are the physical remnants of them. I am in no pain,” he whispered against her neck.

Her fingers held the back of his head tightly, but she still couldn’t look at him. All she could see was Masego, how something so good had turned out so badly. He’d broken her heart, although he’d been very courtly while doing so. She could easily see Spock doing the same—Starfleet over her instead of Starfleet and her.

She spun around, trying to break free of Spock’s hold, but he brought her back against his front.

“He was a fool, Nyota,” Spock whispered into the top of her head.

“Your shields…”

“They are down, yes, but you are filled with so much tension and distress. I do not wish this for you.”

“I’m being silly, I know,” Uhura said, cursing herself. This was why she hadn’t wanted to fall in love—it made people…illogical.

“You should know that no matter where our lives take us, you shall always be very dear to me,” Spock said, holding her closer.

Uhura spun back around and framed his face in her hands. “Please promise me that.”

He kissed her lips softly. “Ugaya.”

She returned the kiss harder, mashing her breasts against his bare chest. He’d addressed her largest fear—that she’d no longer matter, as she had with Masego. Uhura would do her best not to stand in the way of Spock’s career, but she didn’t want to feel like a stop-off, something to pass the time away until that bigger, better thing. Spock was certainly not that for her, even if they were not guaranteed an eternity with each other.

Then again, what couple was?

But Spock’s ugaya—vow—settled her for the time being, allowing her to completely enjoy the feel of his hands and lips on her person. She let her touch drag down his chest, pausing a bit over the pricks made silky by the hair covering it, down to where his heart beat, rapid and strong.

One of his hands caressed her cheek as he broke their kiss. “Do you desire to continue the reeducation at a later point?”

Uhura laughed lightly, gliding her nose along his. Her turbulent and conflicting emotions and thoughts were no doubt very clear to him. “Not really, but it would probably be best if we do. I do not want to get a failing grade during the ‘final exam’ so to speak.”

She whimpered when Spock pressed himself against her belly and tugged on her earlobe with his teeth. “I do not think that is possible where we are concerned.”

Holding him closer, Uhura nipped his jaw with her teeth. “Well, then, how about a pop quiz instead?”

Suddenly she was weightless. Spock wrapped her legs around his waist and walked them to her couch, sitting so she straddled him. “A most pertinent solution, Miss Uhura,” he praised, his elegant fingers sliding beneath her camisole and up her naked back.

Smiling, Uhura skipped her lips from his temple, relishing in the shiver she earned, down to his lips. “Very glad you think so, Professor Spock…”