Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 2 Weddings


Sarek stood on the dais watching his son walk stoically down the aisle towards him. He had long imagined the day when his son would bind himself to his intended, yet this was far different from what he had imagined. His bond mate, Amanda, was not standing beside him, her face blank of emotion as she schooled her features to be acceptable to the Vulcan way, while her eyes betrayed the love, joy and pride she felt for the occasion. They were not in the temple, where all bonding ceremonies took place, under the watchful and silent gaze of statutes of past elders, the glowing column of the temple at their backs.

No, they were on Earth in his soon to be daughter’s home country, gathered with an eclectic array of peoples and cultures: Uhura’s cousins, aunts, uncles and grandmothers; the captain and crew of the Starship Enterprise; commanders, captains and officers from Starfleet; and ambassadors from various member planets of the Federation. A remnant of his people including his elder son, Ambassador Spock were also in attendance.  Only a few elders had given their blessing to the match and even fewer made the journey from New Vulcan for the ceremony, however, Sarek was grateful for their support. His people stood out from the assembled humans and other species gathered that day, the dark colors of their robes a contrast to the riot of bright yellows, green and purples worn by Uhura’s family, the red, gold and blue of Starfleet uniforms and the verdant blossoms and trees of the garden in which they were gathered.

However, somethings remained familiar. The ceremonial fire still burned before him, the fragrance of the sweet woods of his homeland filling the air. Circled around him were some of the Elders, their hands clasped stoically behind them. Among them were a few additions, Captain Kirk being the most noticeable among them, his wide toothy smile a stark contrast to the Vulcans surrounding them, save for Ambassador Spock, whose lips were curled into a subtle grin.

His son Spock took his place before his father, his face stoic except for his expressive eyes—the wide dark eyes of his mother that danced with joy. Sarek bowed his head toward his son who soon matched his greeting.

The sound of a Vulcan gong signaled the start of the ceremonies. All eyes turned to the back of the aisle and a reverent hush settled over the assembled crowd. Sarek’s eyes followed and came to rest on the veiled form of his daughter, Nyota. Watching her reverently walk towards him, he could not help but remember his own joining ceremony so long ago on Vulcan. His Amanda had been a vision of loveliness, her face bathed in such a look of love and joy that Sarek had been humbled and deeply grateful that she had chosen to bestow such emotions upon him, despite his inability to properly convey the depth of his own regard at that moment.

He knew that Amanda would have been pleased.

***********************************

Spock momentarily forgot to breathe as he watched his intended make her way down the aisle. She was attired in a dress from her culture. White silk wrapped around her generous curves, a pleasing contrast to her smooth brown skin. Her face was veiled in transparent fabric, her long black hair loose and down her back, small white blossoms entwined in her tresses. Large platinum discs hung from her ears matching the assortment of bracelets that adorned her wrists. Her steps were accented by the slight tinkle of the bells that circled her ankles and adorned her bare feet.

She was beautiful and soon she would be his.

Nyota stepped onto the dais, bowing her head to her soon to be father before turning to face her intended. With shaking hands, Spock lifted the veil from her face to rest over her hair.

“You are lovely, my Nyota,” he whispered, his chest tight with emotions he struggled to conceal.

“As are you, my love,” Nyota answered, her face lit by a dazzling smile and her eyes glistening suspiciously.

Spock could never quite understand how human women could be overjoyed yet on the verge of weeping. It was a most illogical means of expression.

****************************************************************

The elder Spock watched as Nyota and his younger-self were joined together as bond mates, as man and wife. They each recited the ancient and simple Vulcan vows to one another, their hands joined as they knelt before the ceremonial fire.

In the Vulcan tradition, the ceremony was short. However, Spock knew that the very human wedding reception afterwards would extend long into the night. There would be song and dance. The wine and alcohol would flow freely and the guests would dine on rich foods and sweet goods well into the night. His younger self would be confused by the human tradition of sharing a kiss with his bride whenever someone tapped their glass with a fork. However, after the fourth kiss he would submit to the logic of the exercise. Kirk would undoubtedly drink too much wine and make inappropriate comments to Nyota’s single sisters. Scotty, who could hold his liquor quite well after years of practice, would give a long-winded toast to the happy couple. Chekov would offer his own blessings, his face flushed with happiness and his accent so thick as to render most of his speech incomprehensible to all but Nyota. Bones would grumble when Nyota asked him to dance, but his defenses would crumble after a chaste kiss on his cheek. Sulu would outshine them all on the dance floor and later have to assist Bones in escorting a drunken Kirk back to his hotel room.

Yes, the night would be long and full of noise and music. Sarek and the Elders would have retired directly after the ceremony, unwilling to indulge in such a spectacle. But, Spock would remain. He would eat cake and watch his friends and remember a lifetime long past. He would dance with Nyota and imagine his own Nyota as she could have been, her eyes bright with affection and a love reserved only for himself.