Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Sixteen

Color In Your Cheeks

"Detective Valens…coffee?"

"Thanks, sweetheart."

Sweetheart??

The endearment echoed in Kat’s head, almost mockingly, as she stormed through the office and into the interview room, the first place she could think of where she’d have some privacy, and slammed the door behind her. Sweetheart. How dare Scotty call her that? Who the hell did he think he was, anyway?

Oh, she knew it was an act. Just a game. They’d planned it in advance. The interview was with a chauvinist pig airline pilot, and Scotty had decided it would be to their advantage to get on the jackass’s good side. If said jackass even had one, Kat had thought with a derisive snort. But Scotty had convinced her to play the subservient role.

"C’mon, Miller, what’s five seconds outta your life?" he’d asked with a grin. "’Specially if it means we solve a case. Ain’t like you bringin’ me a cuppa coffee’s gonna undo the entire feminist cause."

With a sigh, she’d realized that he was right, and there was at least a small chance she was overreacting, so she’d acquiesced, played the part to perfection, brought him the coffee…and he’d responded with that maddening, arrogant smirk, thanked her, and called her "sweetheart." And, though she couldn’t be sure, she suspected that he’d checked her out as she left the office.

"Sweetheart"…that wasn’t part of the deal, and his eyes on her ass as she walked away? So not part of the deal it wasn’t even funny. She wasn’t sure what infuriated her more, the fact that he’d checked her out, or the fact that she was, to her horror, flattered that he’d done it. And the "sweetheart" thing…it suddenly occurred to her, with a sense of dread that nearly made her sick to her stomach, that it was entirely possible that the reason she hated it so much was because…she actually wanted him to mean it.

But he didn’t. Of course he didn’t. She knew that.

It was just a game.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the click of the door as it opened…and the last person in the world she wanted to see entered, brandishing a half-finished mug of coffee and still flashing that famous shit-eating grin.

"Pretty good coffee," he said cockily, then paused and winked flirtatiously, raising the mug in her direction. "Sweetheart," he added, then took a sip.Kat shot him the most menacing glare she could muster. "Don’t call me that," she spat at him. Not like that. Not if you don’t mean it, she added silently, before she could censor herself, and she was startled at the direction her thoughts had taken.

Scotty chuckled in disbelief as he lowered the mug from his lips and set it on the table. "It’s a game, Miller," he replied, his grin fading only slightly. "You know that."

To her utter horror, her heart sank to her shoes at his declaration. "Course I know that," she snapped in reply, with far more venom than was warranted. "The whole damn thing’s a game to you."

Scotty’s brow creased in confusion, and Kat paused for a moment. She knew she was being unfair, knew she was lashing out at him in a way he only partially deserved…but she couldn’t help it, and she refused to feel guilty about it. If she was mad at him, she reasoned, then she didn’t have to think about those other feelings.

"It was an interview, Kat," he explained patiently. "We went over this. It didn’t mean crap. It was just to get the guy to talk. Which, by the way, thanks to you…he did."

Kat sighed. Of course it didn’t mean crap. The disappointment mounted, and she gritted her teeth against it, forbidding her heart to feel the pain. She had no room for that in her life. No way, no how. Nope. Uh-uh. Not happening. Not again.

"Ain’t surprised he bought your act," she griped, her eyes on the floor. "You’re pretty damn good at feedin’ people crap."

"Now, what the hell’s that supposed to mean?" Scotty demanded, tossing his notes on the table and folding his arms across his chest.

Kat finally dared to look up at him. "Means you’re so damn good at makin’ people think shit about you that ain’t true that I’m beginnin’ to wonder if you even know the difference yourself," she snapped, her eyes flashing.

Scotty glared back at her before replying. "You got somethin’ you wanna say to me, Miller?" he asked, an angry edge suddenly coloring his voice. "Just say it."

"You checked me out," she informed him, forcing a sudden, unbidden trace of vulnerability out of her voice. "That just parta the game, too?"

She saw the truth flicker in his dark eyes for a moment before he denied it. "Of course that was parta the game," he lied.

Kat exploded then. "I don’t believe you," she nearly shouted. "You’ve been the doting dad for two and a half years just to get back into my pants?" She broke off to chuckle bitterly. "Can’t believe you’re that desperate to get laid," she added sardonically as she turned her back on him.

She felt the anger radiating from him before he even spoke. "Are you fuckin’ kiddin’ me?" he demanded. "You think, ‘cause I called you sweetheart in a damn interview,
as a game," he reminded her pointedly, "that that means I’ve been pretendin’ to love our daughter so I can screw you again? Are you nuts? You ain’t that hard to get, Miller."

Burning with humiliated rage, Kat whirled to face him, her eyes narrowed. "You callin’ me a slut, Valens?" she hissed.

Scotty laughed mirthlessly. "The most celibate slut I know," he proclaimed with that damn lopsided grin.

She wanted to slap him. She wanted to strangle him. But, as he stood there, only a few feet away from her, his lips still curved in that maddening grin even as the muscle in his jaw twitched rhythmically with his rising anger, his eyes sparking with a curious mixture of fury and amusement and something else she couldn’t quite place, she realized, to her horror, that…oh, God, there were other things she wanted to do to him, too…things she couldn’t let herself even think about, let alone actually do, or he’d be proven right, and he’d never let her hear the end of it. So she did the only thing she could think of, which was turn and head for the door.

"Don’t think I don’t know you want me, too," he called after her, and that turned her blood to ice and stopped her dead in her tracks.

"Don’t think I don’t see the way you been lookin’ at me," he snarled. "You don’t think I know when a woman wants me? You don’t think I see it in her eyes…in your eyes?" He broke off and chuckled again. "You don’t think I know about that damn cowboy dream?" he asked lightly. Kat froze to the spot then, her hand on the doorknob, completely unable to move as the blood drained from her face. She couldn’t have been more stunned, even if he’d told her he was from Jupiter and used to be a woman. He knew about that dream? That dream? He knew about it? Oh, dear Lord, how?

Before she could even begin to wrap her mind around what Scotty had just said, she was suddenly aware of him behind her…too close. Way too close. Tantalizingly, infuriatingly close. So close she could feel the heat from his body, the waves of anger and power and…yes…desire that radiated from him. She could even smell his aftershave; it used to make her sick to her stomach, but now, for some idiot reason she couldn’t even begin to fathom, she was utterly intoxicated by its warm, spicy scent.

"You don’t think I know how it got started?" he asked her, his voice low with want and warning, yet still with a barely-concealed edge of anger, and she shivered involuntarily as his breath tickled her skin. "You don’t think I know what that cowboy did to you?" he pressed, moving closer and closer until his lips were mere millimeters away, and then he delivered the final blow.

"You don’t think I know how he made you scream?" he whispered, through clenched teeth.

"How the hell do you---?" she started to demand, but her words were swallowed in an irritatingly breathy moan as he swept her hair from her shoulder and kissed her along the collar of her shirt; tenderly, reverently, but teetering on the edge of control. Just like that damn cowboy…only this wasn’t the cowboy, this was Scotty. She wasn’t on a horse, either…she was at work, for God’s sake.

Scotty, meanwhile, had snaked an arm around her waist and was holding her tightly, yet she knew he’d let her go without a fight if she wanted to flee. And that was what she should do. That was exactly what she should do. She should free herself from his firm grasp and run the hell away. She should grab V and Bella and the car keys and just start driving, get as far away from all this as she possibly could…

but she couldn’t move a muscle. Scotty’s lips were slowly, but deliberately blazing a trail up the side of her neck, his rapid breaths tickling her skin and making her shiver despite the fact that the room was suddenly, unbearably warm, and she could feel sweat starting to gather in the scant space between her back and his torso.

"You tell me you don’t want this," he ordered softly against her neck, his voice simultaneously light and teasing, yet urgent and intense, and she shivered again. "You tell me you don’t want me…and I’ll stop. Just say the word," he prodded around another kiss. "That’s all you gotta do."

Stop.

That was easy enough. Stop. Just one little word, one tiny little syllable, and she had every confidence that Scotty would keep his promise and back away from her. Stop. She should say it. She knew she should. She had thousands upon thousands of reasons, good convincing reasons…

but as his lips reached her earlobe and his arms wrapped even more tightly around her, she found that word completely driven from her mind. Her hand slipped from the doorknob and she found herself leaning her forehead against the metal frame, relishing its coolness against her burning skin as his tongue gently toyed with her tender flesh.

"You can’t say it, can you?" he murmured knowingly.

"No," she managed to moan.

Suddenly, she was intensely aware that he’d stopped anyway…he’d stepped back, and a rush of cool air suddenly cut through the thin fabric of her shirt and snapped her to attention. In horror, she turned around to find him standing a few feet away once more, his arms folded across his chest, and he was smirking at her, that damn cocky asshat smirk that made her want to murder him.

"So I’m right," he said with an air of nonchalant pride. "You do want me."

All Kat could do was stare in disbelief. It really was a game, she realized, with a dreadful mixture of humiliation and rage. All of it. Those tender, addictive kisses she could still feel on her neck, the desire she’d thought she heard in his voice…it was all a game…all of it. He’d just meant to mock her, to prove that she was, in fact, a celibate slut, just as he claimed. That goddamn son of a bitch. He was---he was--

---just as lust-addled as she was, she suddenly noticed with a surge of unassailable triumph, as her detective’s senses came back to her, at least momentarily. Oh, he was trying to hide it, but she could see the desire blazing in his eyes, she could see the beads of sweat glistening on his forehead, she could see the rapid rise and fall of his shoulders as he tried to slow his breathing…and she didn’t have to be a detective to notice the telltale bulge in his pants that was calling his bluff.

"So?" she retorted smugly, slowly raking her gaze upward to meet his eyes. "You want me."

"Never said I didn’t," Scotty replied cockily.

"So is it me you want?" she demanded, taking a confident step toward him. Suddenly, she was calling the shots now, just like she was used to doing in this dingy little room. "Or is it just ‘cause I’m here, and I’m a woman, and I’m easy?"

He hesitated, and she saw a flicker of something in the depths of his eyes that she couldn’t quite name. That same something she’d been seeing more and more of lately, that something she couldn’t identify, in part because she wasn’t sure she’d ever seen it from anyone, and in part because he only let it show briefly before his gaze hardened and there was now no mystery in the sparks that flew from his eyes. He was just looking at her, glaring, almost, and then, before she knew what was happening, he’d closed the gap between them, pinned her against the door, and was kissing her more ferociously than she’d ever been kissed in her life.

"Does it matter?" he demanded breathlessly, pulling away momentarily to search her eyes. She started to answer, to say something, to tell him that yes, it damn well did matter whether he wanted her or whether this was just some game…but before she had a chance, his mouth was on hers again, his hands were in her hair, and she was drowning.

"Does…it…matter?" he asked again, almost a growl, and the ensuing silence was apparently all the answer he needed, because he deepened the kiss. She hadn’t thought that was possible, but his tongue was now invading her mouth and his fingers were rapidly unbuttoning her blouse.

No, she realized. It didn’t matter. Not right now. As she stripped the tie from around his neck and started in on his shirt, she suddenly discovered that her pants were down around her ankles. She kicked off her shoes, stepped out of her pants, then blindly shoved the shirt from his shoulders and started to back him up, using the mirror in the interview room to judge where the table was. When they reached it, however, Scotty flipped them around and bent her over it with another fiery kiss as she tugged his T-shirt from the waistband of his pants, practically tore it off him, and then ran her hands feverishly over the damp skin of his shoulders.

In the melee, the coffee mug fell to the floor and shattered into thousands of pieces…

With a gasp, Kat sat bolt upright in bed, looking around the room wildly as she tried to catch her breath, wiping the sweat from her forehead, replaying the last few seconds of her dream over and over in her mind, and wondering idly where her cigarettes were. A dream like that definitely called for a smoke, she decided. However, when she remembered that she didn’t have any cigarettes anywhere in the house, and hadn’t had so much as a puff since the night of her blind date, the night that had started this whole mess…the night that was also the last time she’d had real, actual, three-dimensional sex…she fell back onto the pillows with a frustrated groan.

Not this. Not again. Not another dream. Not now.

She’d thought she was fine. There was no reason for her not to be. True, she and Scotty had had a...a moment…or whatever the hell it was…on the couch, they’d almost kissed, but, thank God, he’d run upstairs to check on Bella before they’d had a chance to make yet another lethal mistake. After his sudden departure, she’d sat there on the sofa in stunned silence, trying to process what had just happened, but forced her mind away from the myriad possibilities of what it could have meant as she put the ice cream back in the freezer and folded the blanket they’d been sharing. It didn’t matter. They were reminiscing, and had been all day, and they just got caught up in a moment. Yes, it was true, they’d kissed after Bella was born, but…how the hell could they not have? Kissing was how it started when they’d made her, so it seemed only right to complete the circle. They were ecstatic and exhausted and overwhelmed with love for their new baby girl, and kissing was just…well, it was the right thing to do. It hadn’t happened since, and it had meant nothing that night other than a pure, friendly affection, a bond between them that was forever cemented by their dark-eyed, curly-haired, beautiful newborn daughter.

But this dream…there was nothing pure about it, nor about the feelings it was stirring up within her, the same feelings that that near-kiss on the couch had brought to the surface. She’d tried to fight them, tried to fight the fact that, to her horror, she’d actually wanted Scotty to kiss her, more than anything in the world, and now, now that she’d had yet another provocative dream about him, she forced herself not to reach for him in the darkness, roll him over, kiss him senseless, and make that damn dream come true.

She couldn’t even blame hormones this time, she realized with chagrin. She wasn’t pregnant, no chance in hell of that. Yet this dream was every bit as racy as that one she’d had about the cowboy, back in her second trimester, when she was the victim of merciless hormones…only this time, it wasn’t some mystery guy…it was Scotty from the beginning. And it had started with an argument…an argument about what? She searched her foggy, lust-addled brain, trying desperately to remember.

Oh, right…an argument about that interview. The interview that, she realized, had actually happened, only a couple of days ago. They really had interviewed a chauvinist-pig former airline pilot, and Scotty, his eyes twinkling with inspired mischief, really had suggested that she bring him coffee and pretend to be subservient for a few moments, just to get the jackass to talk. He really had called her "sweetheart," she remembered, and the flirtatious gleam in his eyes had thrilled her momentarily…and then she’d flirted back. Hell, they’d been flirting ever since, she realized with horror. Even Lilly had picked up on it. Not that Kat was surprised; Rush didn’t miss anything when it came to her co-workers, though she was remarkably dense when it came to her own stuff. No, what surprised her was that she’d been openly flirting with Scotty, and he with her, right there in the office that afternoon, in front of Lilly and God and everybody, and what the hell were they doing? And why would that interview trigger an argument, anyway? It was all fun and games, it was…

…it was about games.

And whether or not he was playing them with her.

That really was what she was afraid of, Kat realized. That kiss on the couch…well, almost-kiss…what had that been about, anyway? Was it just a kiss like they’d shared in the delivery room, one that spoke of friendship and nothing else…or did he mean something by it? Did he want to stop at kissing her, or did he want to do more? Did he want her, or did he merely realize that it had been quite a while since he’d had sex with anyone, and she was there and willing and convenient? Did he…did he have feelings for her?

Son of a bitch…did she have feelings for him?

No. Not possible. She couldn’t. She didn’t do feelings. Not anymore. She’d let herself feel things for Jarrod, things she shouldn’t have felt, not in a million years, not for a banger thug that knocked her up and never called, not for the man who’d dragged her lower than she ever thought she could go, not for the man who’d poisoned her, body and soul, and ultimately broken her heart. One night. One stupid, reckless night. That was all it had taken for her to fall… and now she was left with a constant reminder of how badly she’d screwed up, how she’d risked her heart, her career, her very life for a guy who’d fed her all those pretty lines, who’d made her think he’d always be there for her, who’d made her think she’d never be alone…

A chill ran down her spine as she realized how close history was to repeating itself. She’d let yet another cocky, good-looking guy sweet-talk his way into her pants, she’d carried and borne and was raising his child, and now she was falling for him. Risking her career. And her heart. And the hearts of her two daughters…for what? For an arrogant jackass with a lopsided grin and way too much aftershave?

Is that really all there is to Scotty Valens? Kat wondered. She’d thought so, at least at first. She’d heard that the reason there’d been an opening in Homicide in the first place was that her predecessor, Sutton or something, had only lasted a few weeks. There were rumors that there had been something between her and Scotty, that he was the reason she’d disappeared so suddenly, but Kat had never pressed, because she didn’t want to know. It was none of her business, anyway. She’d dealt with enough rumors in her life, she knew how out of control they could get. Besides, even if they were true, even if there had been something inappropriate going on between the two, who cared? People screwed up, and she was the last person to judge. She’d screwed up worse than all of them, worse than any of them could even imagine, and if the guys in Homicide ever found out how bad…she shuddered at the very thought. She was lucky, damn lucky to even still be a cop, much less a murder cop, with her checkered past, and the less everyone else knew about that past, the better.

So it was with a sense of carefully-concealed trepidation that she’d gone out on that first interview with Scotty, but after their first ten minutes together, she knew she had nothing to worry about. Whether her cocky Latino colleague was a womanizer or not, he wasn’t doing anything inappropriate with her, and she’d breathed a sigh of relief upon their return to the squad room that night. His actions toward her were nothing but professional, and after that first day or so, she’d never thought of him as anything other than a co-worker. Well, okay, somewhere along the line, he’d become her friend, someone she felt more comfortable with than anyone else on the team, with the possible exception of Vera. Nick reminded her of one of her brothers, and the snark and the food fights were exactly the way she and Kevin had communicated through the years…but Kat had never let her guard down around Vera the way she’d been able to around Scotty. She knew he could see through her smokescreen, and yet somehow that wasn’t threatening, like it would be with the others. For some reason she couldn’t begin to explain, she felt safe around Scotty in a way she didn’t feel around anyone else. So he was the one she confided in about that damn blind date her mother had insisted on setting up for her, and he was the one she’d called that night when things went horribly wrong.

Despite how comfortable she was with him, though, despite how safe he made her feel, she’d been sure, when she told Scotty she was pregnant, that he’d run off, and when he’d done exactly that, she’d been furious, but not surprised. That’s just what men did, she told herself. But it turned out that Scotty had just needed a few hours to get over the shock, to beat himself up for a while, and then he’d come around and far exceeded her expectations, and the life they’d built together with the girls was just so damn happy and comfortable and…perfect…that she didn’t want her stupid feelings to jeopardize it.

But as quickly as she dismissed them, as soon as she tried to ignore them and shove them under the rug and convince herself that they weren’t there, she realized that she couldn’t. As she thought back over the last couple of years, ever since Bella’s birth, she discovered that they’d stolen into her heart. Quietly. Almost undetected. She’d thought it was just affection for the man because he was her friend, he was Bella’s father, he’d stepped up to the plate when she’d needed him…

…and she did need him, she realized reluctantly. She’d needed him since that stupid blind date, if not before. How the hell did that happen? She never let herself need people. Needing people always ended in disappointment and pain. She’d learned to be self-reliant, to solve her own problems and clean up her own messes. How in the hell had she become the woman who called the guy in to kill the spider?

Kat didn’t know, but it scared her to death. She didn’t feel as though she was betraying herself, becoming something she wasn’t…no, not this time. In fact, it was just the opposite. She was more herself with Scotty than she’d ever been with anyone. He was the only person in the world she could truly let her guard down around, the only person she allowed to see even a fraction of the pain she carried with her, the only person she allowed to know that she had her weak moments, that beneath her bravado and her badassery, that she was just as lonely and scared as the next person, if not more so.

She’d have thought, with Scotty’s save-the-world tendencies, that it would have been an explosive combination. She’d seen how he was with Lilly, especially after the shooting. She’d seen how close to tears he was while they were waiting for the paramedics; she’d seen him pacing the hospital hallway, his partner’s blood staining his tie…and she’d seen how his worried eyes followed Rush’s every move for weeks after she came back to work. Kat wasn’t blind. She knew what he was doing. He was all but begging Lilly to let him in, to let him help her through the aftermath of the shooting, of her mother’s death…but she wouldn’t. She was more walled-off than ever. And finally, Kat supposed, Scotty had gotten the hint that Lilly wasn’t going to let him save her. Kat didn’t blame Rush, really; Scotty did come on strong, almost forcing his way in sometimes…but Lilly's problems were bigger than he could solve, and Kat knew, deep down, that Scotty knew that.

But, surprisingly, it wasn’t. He didn’t force his way in with her, at least, not for the most part. Instead, he was content to be invited, and, as a result, she invited him in more than she ever thought she would with anyone. Besides, her problems weren’t too big for one person. Hell, they were barely even problems. She’d just wanted Bella to have a father, to have someone who, in whatever capacity he saw fit, to love her and care for her so Kat wouldn’t have to do it all alone. She’d done it by herself before, and was willing to do it again, but she’d realized, over the years, that she’d really come to depend on Scotty, as had Bella. Even Veronica had bonded with him. They’d become a family.

Which was why she wasn’t going to let her stupid feelings get in the way. Feelings came, and feelings went, and besides, she had no idea whether Scotty had the same feelings toward her. What the hell had that almost-kiss been about, anyway? He’d wanted to kiss her, she knew it. She could feel how badly he wanted to, she could feel him trembling slightly as he’d drawn closer to her lips…but the fact remained that he hadn’t actually kissed her. He’d physically fled from the situation, and she’d decided, after a few moments’ contemplation on the sofa, that she was simply too damn tired to deal with it at the time, and she’d think better after a good night’s sleep, so she’d crept upstairs, relieved that he was nowhere to be seen, and crawled into bed.

But now, it was the next day, technically anyway, and regardless of what was going on in her heart, they needed to talk about what had gone on downstairs. She needed to know exactly what was going on with Scotty so she’d know whether or not to allow herself to feel what she was currently feeling, what she desperately wanted not to feel, but what she was beginning to realize, to her horror, that it didn’t matter if she wanted to have feelings for him or not…she did anyway.

Dammit.

Turning toward Scotty’s side of the bed, she tentatively prepared to wake him up, to talk about things…

…and he wasn’t there.

The covers were still tucked neatly up at the head of the bed, and his cell phone and keys and everything else that always decorated the nightstand were nowhere to be seen. Holy crap, he hadn’t even been to bed yet, she realized, and she stole a glance at the clock. Good Lord, it was four in the morning. What the hell was he doing? Where the hell was he?

Alarmed, she searched the room, thinking maybe he’d nodded off in the recliner or something, but there was no sign of him. His pillow was missing, though, which, she realized, meant that he was probably sleeping somewhere else in the house. She hoped. Unless he’d taken it with him on his quest to the bar to find some floozy to sleep with, she mused bitterly.

Quietly, she crept downstairs and searched the living room, and, finding no sign of him, she peeked inside the spare bedroom they used as an office, as well as storage for an ugly-ass futon that Toni had refused to allow Vera to bring with him when the two moved in together, and which Kat had been less than thrilled about taking in, but she’d decided it wasn’t a hill worth dying on.

It was there that she found Scotty, sacked out on the futon, sound asleep.

For a moment, she was relieved that he was still home, that he hadn’t fled the premises completely. No, he’d just fled their bedroom. Fled from her.

Son of a bitch.

He didn’t even want to sleep in the same bed with her, she realized. Maybe he’d wanted to kiss her, but it was becoming alarmingly clear to Kat, as she watched him sleeping soundly, that it wasn’t her he’d wanted to kiss. Not really. He’d just wanted to kiss someone. Mercifully, he’d stopped himself before he let himself go there, before he used her just to take the edge off his physical frustrations…before she let him.

She was half-surprised that Scotty hadn’t just left immediately and gone to the bar, but she supposed that was the next step. And she knew him well enough to know that, come the next night, he wouldn’t be in their house, he wouldn’t be on the couch in that ratty old Phillies T-shirt he loved so much watching movies with the girls…he’d be at Jones’ or McGinty’s or some other place, flirting and telling war stories and drinking himself into oblivion, then fleeing out the back door with some slut. She’d be surprised if he even managed to make it back to the her place. He’d probably fuck that girl right there in the damn back alley.

And eventually, he’d tire of always having to go to the floozy’s place, he’d grow weary of always having to hurry home so he could be there early enough to wake Bella up and get her dressed for daycare…he’d get sick of ballet lessons and Dora videos and quiet nights at home…he’d decide that he was too young to be tied down with kids, only one of whom was biologically his, and he’d split. Get a bachelor pad again. Go back to being Scotty Valens.

Or, even worse, Kat thought, as a chill ran down her spine, he’d…God forbid…fall in love with one of those damn bar whores. And then, not only would she lose him, but she’d lose Bella, too. She’d lose her beautiful daughter to Scotty and a new woman with even newer boobs. Oh, maybe he wouldn’t sue for full custody…but if he did, no way would he not win. A nearly-broke single mom forced to move back into the hood because, without Scotty’s income, she couldn’t afford anything better? What court would choose that over a happily married couple?

Even if he didn’t sue for custody, even if he did, by some incredible stretch of the imagination, keep sending her money so the girls could stay in their home, so Veronica could stay in the school she loved, Bella would no doubt visit him regularly. Weekends, holidays, school vacations…all of those were suddenly up in the air. Christmas the year before had been wonderful, just the four of them on Christmas morning, Bella and V tearing into their gifts while she and Scotty had blearily sipped coffee and complained good-naturedly about how dark it still was outside…and then they’d spent Christmas afternoon with the Valens clan, the girls fitting in seamlessly with the swarms of other children that had descended on Scotty’s parents’ place, while her mom spent most of her time in the kitchen with Scotty’s mother, resulting in a Christmas dinner that featured everything from traditional Cuban and Puerto Rican fare to soul food. It was as close to perfect as Christmas had ever been for her…and now, that bastard who was snoring on Nick Vera's futon was going to take all that away from her, just because he was getting tired of being a responsible dad.

Well, she realized as she turned around and stormed up the stairs, if this was how it was going to be…better she find out now. Better he leave before they got any more comfortable, before they got any more attached, before she fell any harder than she’d already fallen…before she forgot how to do this on her own.

She was Kat Miller, dammit. She could do this.

If only she had a goddamn cigarette.

 






Chapter End Notes:
These guys better get their act together, because there's only one chapter left!