Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Two: Miracles aren’t Just for Christmas…

 

There were butterflies in her stomach when she entered the interrogation room even if her stride spoke differently.

 

Alexis Davis turned her eyes on her. Lowering her glasses slightly on her face she quirked an eyebrow. “Can I help you?”

 

She took in the woman before her, who was undoubtedly going to be her opponent. Auburn red hair, pale flawless skin, and an immaculate pair of pumps spoke volumes to her. She didn’t know much about Alexis but what she did know was enough for her to know that she would need to bring her ‘A’ game to the table from the very beginning. So that’s what she did.

 

“Not unless you can tell me why you thought it would be alright to question my client without his attorney present.” She replied placing her briefcase on the table in between the woman and Sonny Corinthos.

 

Alexis stood there her brow rising further into her bangs. “Where’s Diane… I mean Ms. Miller?” She asked only slightly flustered.

 

“At the moment indisposed; now if you would be so kind as to give me a moment with my client I would greatly appreciate it.” It was a dismissal thinly disguised as a request and both women knew it.

 

Alexis sighed. “I’ll be back in five.” She remarked before exiting.

 

Turning to Sonny she sighed. “Now…let’s get down to business.”

 

Wow… I’m impressed.”

 

She shook her head. “Don’t be… you and Jason Morgan are in real deep… and it’s going to take a miracle to get you out of this. Lucky for you… I specialize in those.” She smiled slightly crossing her arms over her chest.

 

“Lucky for me,” he remarked with that trademark grin.

 

She exhaled a deep breath grabbing the seat across from him. Reaching into her briefcase she pulled out a sheet of paper. “However miracles don’t come cheap. Here is my retainer’s fee… that’s for each of you, I don’t do group rates. This is what I bill per hour and what I expect as compensation.” She rattled off.

 

Sitting back in his chair he smiled unable to help himself. “What… where did you say Jason found you?” He asked.

 

“I didn’t.” She remarked. “It seems that you and Mr. Morgan are acquainted with someone that I owe a great deal to.” She stated and then changed tactics. “Now normally I expect payment upfront but since I’m more than certain you can afford me I’ll give you 24 hours to pay my retainer fee.” She pointed to the bottom of the page.

 

“I appreciate that…” he remarked off handedly. “This friend… I’m not certain who that is.” He prompted.

 

“And I’m not at liberty to say.” She watched him lean back in the chair and smile creating a perfect set of dimples.


“Oh… that sounds like lawyer language for ‘I don’t want to’.” He shot back.

 

She exhaled deeply. “Look, I’m here to help you, not regale you with my personal history, Mr. Corinthos.” Removing a notepad from her briefcase she snapped the cap off the ballpoint pen and quirked an eyebrow. “Now once you sign these… we can get down to business.” She moved the papers across the table with her fingertips and pointed to the ‘x’ at the bottom.

 

His smile deepened as he retrieved it. “Let’s do that… Ms….” He trailed off waiting.

 

“How rude of me,” furrowing her brow because her statement was sincere she reached across the table with an outstretched hand. “Evangeline Williamson,”

 

Reaching out he grabbed her hand within his own and she took a mental note of the smoothness of his palm. His grip was a mixture between a caress and something else… something almost vice-like. Looking up she found his eyes on her, as though trying to read her… figure out what she was about.

 

“Evangeline… Williamson…” He smiled as he tried her name out. It was as if he was testing it… trying to determine what he would call her. “I don’t want your personal history yet… a list of your credentials though… that might be nice.” He remarked.

 

“I’ll have them sent over first thing in the morning.” Her voice sounded breathy even to her own ears and she realized that this man… this Sonny Corinthos was dangerous… in more ways than one.

 

Pulling back he scanned the fine print before signing his name. “So… now what?”

 

“First thing’s first…we get bail posted for you and Mr. Morgan and then first thing in the morning we go over what happened tonight.” She eyed him for a moment before speaking. “I can only assume that you don’t have a reliable alibi for your whereabouts this evening…”

 

He gave her that disarming smile that he reserved for most women and shrugged slightly. “I was with Jason going over paperwork for the next coffee shipment.” He answered watching as she put the paperwork away and closed the briefcase with a definitive snap.

 

She smirked hearing the way his words sounded rehearsed almost scripted and she sighed and then smiled… “Yeah… I bet.” She muttered and heard the slight chuckle from her client. “Well let’s get started on that miracle shall we?”

 

“By all means… Evangeline.” Her name rolled off his tongue like water over a rock… smooth and yet somehow chilling and it gave her a slight pause. Somehow she felt as if she just stepped out of the shadows and right into the line of fire.