Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

CHAPTER 1

THE PLACE: Well Care Center for Children - Barbados Island

''Sir, may I help you?''

Dark-fringed round eyes met wildly distracted ones.

''Robin...Robin Scorpio. Is she here?''

''One moment, please.''

The young girl, her long flowing hair as dark as coal, picked up the receiver. Her eyes never left the young man's anxious face while she spoke softly to the person on the other end of the line.

''Someone will be right with you, sir.''

''Were you talking to Robin?'' the resonant male voice demanded.

''Have a seat. Please. Your questions will be answered shortly.''

The man noticed the name plate set in the brass holder which was sitting on the counter. Angelique Estrada. She had captivating exotic European looks, and under any other circumstances, he was sure he would have made a point to flirt with her, if only to remove the seriousness which surrounded her delicate features. But he was not in the mood to be charming.

Sighing heavily, he sat down on the gray folding chair Angelique had insisted upon. She watched as the tall, well-built man, who looked to be in his early to mid-twenties, same as her, with hair so dark and rich it reminded her of her favorite Colombian coffee, and skin so tanned and smooth she could easily imagine her long, slender fingers caressing his somber, square-shaped handsome face, leaned back in the chair so it was supported by only two legs as he clasped his hands behind his neck. Knowing how the Administrative Director felt about the kids teetering in their chairs, Angelique could not help but correct the gentleman before her.

''Sit up right in that chair!'' she scolded him.

Surprised by the rancor in her voice, he immediately dropped the chair to its normal position and began nervously to tap his sandal-covered foot on the worn gold-colored rug.

Unable to help herself, Angelique continued to observe him from behind the safety of her desk, the high counter giving her a much-desired shield from his piercing eyes, while he used the idle time to check out the area.

The reception room was functional but not plush. Directly in front of him sat a wooden table, with a few magazines of varied interest scattered about. A huge potted palm tree, one of the main staples of the island, stood proudly in the corner to the left of the receptionist's desk. A smaller table, with a ''thank you for not smoking'' sign and a business card holder displaying the name and address of the Well Care Center sat below the empty magazine rack, which was secured to the beige-colored wall.

He found his attention drawn to the children's sounds of cries and laughter he heard coming from the area beyond Angelique's desk, where he assumed most, if not all, of the action took place. He wondered if Robin were taking care of a small child and that's why it was taking so long for her to appear.

Unable to remain seated a moment longer, he was about to stand up and ask the receptionist to call Robin again when he heard a familiar voice, growing clearer, as the person emerged from the back rooms.

''Thanks, Josh,'' the friendly voice said, as a tall black man, wearing a doctor's white lab coat and a smile, waved good-bye to the person he had been speaking with and to Angelique, who gave him a wink, as he headed for the exit.

Only as the lady, dressed in a magenta-colored jumpsuit, followed Josh's exit did she see the man standing in the middle of the waiting area, his regal presence filling the space to its fullest.

''Nikolas?'' the voice questioned, barely above a whisper.

Obvious shock at seeing him registered on her lovely face.

''Keesha!'' Nikolas exclaimed, so relieved, after arriving in Barbados over two weeks ago with a few leads and not much else, to finally see a friendly, familiar face.

She quickly crossed the room to give him a heartfelt hug. He returned hers with one of his own before pulling back to take in a good, long look.

''You are positively radiant. Your eyes are sparkling, your face exudes contentment. But,'' he added, noticing for the first time the worry lines creasing her forehead, ''something is troubling you.''

''Yes,'' she acknowledged. ''You're right. And seeing you here, so unexpectedly, has brought me joy and sadness.''

''Sadness? Why?''

''Because of the reason you're here. I know it's not to chit-chat with me. I know you must be looking for some answers. Let's go into my office where we can talk privately.''

''Keesha, wait,'' Nikolas said. ''I'm not here to grill you. The only question I have is: where is Robin? The information I did manage to gather indicated she was working here. With you.''

''You mean you don't...you haven't...you don't know?''

''Know what?! I came here to find Robin. I've been searching this island for over two weeks. I've tried to piece this puzzle together from where I've been living for a lot longer than that. Now, please. What has you so terribly distressed?''

''Nikolas,'' Keesha said, trying to maintain eye contact with him, ''exactly one year ago today, Robin died.''

THE PLACE: Jason, Carly, and Michael Morgan’s house on Maple Avenue in Port Charles

"Daddy," six-year-old Michael asked, "why are you so sad?"

Jason turned from his stance at the window to look at his son, whose brown eyes, every bit like his mother’s, were inquisitive.

"I was just remembering a lady who was very important to me. That’s all."

"Oh. Do I know her?"

Jason bent down and took Michael’s small hands in his.

"She knew you, but...you were too young to remember her."

"Robin, Robin, Robin."

Jason and Michael turned at the sound of Carly’s mocking voice.

"Mama!" Michael laughed, running from Jason to be picked up by Carly. "Who is Robin?"

"The important lady your daddy is remembering. Right, Jase?"

He couldn’t mistake the ice in her tone and the questioning look in her eyes.

"Right. Just for a moment, Carly, I remembered what today was. Now it’s over. What do you two want to do today?"

"The zoo!" Michael squealed and clapped his hands, oblivious to the undercurrents flowing between his parents. "I wanna feed the elephants!"

"The zoo it is, kiddo," Carly said, placing him on his feet. "Maybe seeing the lions and tigers will take your mind off things, honey," she added, directing her last comment to Jason.

Carly tossed him a saucy look before she moved down the hall to gather what they would need to visit the animals.

"You gotta love her," he said, his arms folded across his chest, as he shook his head.

Michael soon followed suit and after folding his little arms across his chest, he began to shake his head, which caused Jason to burst into harmonious laughter.

THE PLACE: Simsbury, CT - Home of Eve, A.J., and Cecily Quartermaine

"You’re thinking about Robin, aren’t you?" Eve asked, setting her coffee mug on the kitchen table.

"Yeah," A.J. replied, running his hands along the sides of his mouth.

"She did the right thing in telling you, sweetie. It’s just too bad it was too late."

"Story of my life, right?" A.J. said, rising from the table, mug in hand, to pour the last thing he needed: more caffeine.

Ever since Robin’s death, the fact that her revealing the truth about Michael’s paternity and his lack of success in getting Michael away from Jason and Carly ate at him.

"I would have been better off never finding out," he said, sliding into his seat, "then to think Robin gave *me* the chance of a lifetime, and I blew it."

She gently squeezed his arm, knowing he would never forgive himself for what had happened nearly five years ago.

"You have me, and we have Cecily. Isn’t it enough, A.J.?"

He took a sip of his strong coffee and nodded. "It’s going to have to be, isn’t it?"