Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Title: Gradually

Fandom: Bones

Characters: Cam, Michelle, Dr. Andrew Welton

Pairings: Cam/Andrew

Rating: PG

Words: 1,344

Beta by: [info]blackmamba_esq

Warnings: Pre-series, Spoilers for S4 Ep. 18 "The Doctor in the Den"

Summary: Cam wasn’t sure why she thought leaving him would make her stronger.

Disclaimer: Bones and it’s character do not belong to me.

Notes: Written for [info]choc_fic. 100 Days of Color. Also written for the vchamber November Fall Family challenge. This is a pre-series story inspired by the "Doctor in the Den" and what may or may not have happened during and after Cam’s failed relationship with Dr. Andrew Welton.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Gradually 

Dear Michelle,

I miss you.

XXX

She’s wearing green scrubs and ratty sneakers on the day she meets Andrew. Her face is devoid of make-up and her hands reek of antiseptic while she flirts with him in the elevator. They make out on the first date and she invites him in on the second; she’s surprised when he asks for a third because she’s a bit cynical about these things. Months pass before she considers meeting his family.

Andrew always kisses her hello and goodbye, "I want you to meet my daughter today."

She changes her blouse three times and arrives an hour late for dinner.

 

XXX

 

She feels she should write something more profound than I miss you, but has no idea what that something might actually be. She’s used to delivering information quickly, eliminating extraneous facts that might distract from the task at hand. This shouldn’t be any different than that. Or maybe it should. Maybe this is just one of those things that’s supposed to feel impossible.

 

XXX

 

 

"She doesn’t like me, Andrew."

"She doesn’t know you. It’ll get better, I promise. Just be patient."

"I have been. Or at least, I’ve tried to be, I’m not that great at waiting for things. You of all people should know that."

He smiles and remembers their first date, while she frowns and remembers a cool hello. She picked Michelle up from school that afternoon.

"She won’t even let me braid her hair Andrew. She’d rather wait for you to get home than—"

He lays down the newspaper and rubs a reassuring hand against her forearm. She feels like one of his patients.

"Michelle will come around. I promise."

XXX

 

The day isn’t that different from the others. She still has files piled on her desk and bodies waiting to be examined. But the day is also littered with flower deliveries and balloon telegrams met with high pitched squeals and female chatter. She wants to scream that they’re here to work, not ooh and ahh over half dead flowers, but she doesn’t.

The resentful knot in her throat lingers throughout the day and well into that evening.

 

XXX

 

Andrew gives her a necklace for her birthday, a small amethyst stone that hangs from a delicate silver chain. He tells her he loves her, which makes getting older a bit easier to take. Michelle draws her a picture and helps blow out the candles. A week later she calls her Mommy for the very first time.

It makes getting older a bit easier to take.

XXX

 

She feels alone and betrayed. The latter doesn’t make sense at all because she’s the one that let go. It was the right thing to do, but it doesn’t make losing them any easier to take. She has work and friends, her parents and sister, while Michelle and Andrew have each other. And despite everything that happened (it was the right thing to do after all, no matter how sick it makes her feel) that small fact just doesn’t seem fair.

XXX

 

Michelle asks about dying over her Cheerios that morning.

"Everyone dies." Cam’s decided not to lie to her, not even about this. "It’s just a part of life."

"Are you going to die?"

The answer is simple and yet it isn’t. How do you tell a six year old about how tenuous and fragile and unfair life can be? That she could lose you just as she lost her first mother, her real mother—only this time it’s much worse; Cam’s not just an idea formed from stories and photos sitting on a mantelpiece.

"You’re going to be late for school; we’ll talk about this later, okay?"

Andrew reassures her that it’s a normal curiosity and not the byproduct of what she brings home every day.

"And she loves you," he adds, almost as an afterthought. "That makes everything you do even more interesting. You should take her to work, explain it to her."

Cam thinks of the young boy lying on her table this afternoon after one too many beatings from his stepfather. She showers everyday at the end of her shift and refuses to step foot in the house if she can’t.

"Maybe we should go to lunch instead. Or shopping. I can get her that doll she wants—or a stuffed animal maybe?"

 

XXX

She likes to pretend that she can’t pinpoint the exact moment things changed between them, but it’s a lie that feels threadbare and a bit pathetic as time passes. The truth is, she knows the exactly when Andrew turned away from her. She was in the kitchen washing dishes and he called her Cam. It had always been Camille before.

"Everyone calls me Cam."

"I’m not everyone Camille, not when it comes to you."

She washed out the coffee cups and asked him to take out the trash and he smiled and called her Cam right before he kissed her cheek.

He always kisses her hello and goodbye.

XXX

"Where were you?"

She hates the sound of her voice. It’s petulant and accusatory; it sounds nothing like her. But more than that, she hates that he’s reduced her to someone who watches the clock in her bathrobe in the middle of a work week. She should be asleep. She has court in the morning, she should already be asleep.

"I had to work late, I’m sorry. I would have called, but I thought you’d be in bed—"

He can meet her eyes when he lies now; he’s not ashamed anymore. Cam grips the belt of her robe and pulls because she wants to slap him and she will if she doesn’t do something, anything else with her hands.

"Michelle asked about you." It’s the only weapon she has left, but it never fails to hit its mark. His eyes shift to her shoulder. He’s angry now too, which isn’t fair. He doesn’t have the right—none of this is fair.

"Don’t do that. Don’t use my daughter to—"

She shouts, "Andrew!" and he falls silent. She won’t cry again. Not in front of him.

XXX

 

Cam isn’t sure why she thought leaving him would make her stronger. Maybe she assumed it would it would fix the part of her that was already broken. But at least she can salvage whatever she has left.

XXX

She sees Michelle every night when she closes her eyes, teary and clutching the small ceramic bear (don’t forget), begging her not to leave. Whatever resolve she’s managed to build during the day crumbles at night as soon as her head hits the pillow.

"We both love her more than we love each other." Andrew says when she gives him back the necklace. He never asks her to stay.

"But she’s not mine. No matter—" She stops mid-sentence. There’s no point to this anymore.

 

XXX

 

She gets up from her desktop and heads to the kitchen to make a sandwich. Then she cleans the counters and rearranges a few glasses, thinking she should replace the ones she has, half of them are broken or about to be. She thinks about turning on the television and takes a shower instead. The stench of bodies always lingers, no matter how hot the water gets.

She considers music, then settles for the street sounds outside her window and makes a cup of tea before sitting back down again. An entire hour has passed since she typed the first sentence.

Cam hesitates over the delete key before pressing it with more decisiveness than she actually feels, and then she types a message again. She’ll rethink sending it the following morning and ultimately delete it from the saved drafts folder because it’s just a selfish attempt to hold on to her past. It won’t be Mother’s Day and she’ll be herself again, instead of a woman who’s lost a child that was never really hers.

XXX 

Dear Michelle,

Today was Mother’s Day. And I still feel like your mother.

The End