Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story stars our favorite couple with a special appearance by Nicole's best friend Peyton Frasard Manning and Brian's frat brother Greg Olundegun.




Author's Chapter Notes:
This story takes place in the year of 1999, before our couple marries.  Nicole is nearly seven months pregnant with the twins.   With graduation from Wayne State University with their BA degrees just a week past, Nicole has vowed to stop working until at least six weeks after the babies are born.   Brian, who has moved into Nicole's condo making them a cute couple awaiting the birth of their twins, has made his mission clear to his best friend Greg that Nicole will never have to work again.   With that in mind, he's working his knuckles to the bone trying to learn the business and prove he can take the helm at Santi Motors, while taking a pass on his dream to become a teacher.   


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


All I Want for Christmas© by SPAC

"My goodness Nic, I'm so proud of you.  You're pregnant and putting me to shame"  cried Peyton, Nicole's best friend.   

"Don't even go there.   Be careful how you dole out praise.   I'm no surer of how this is all going to work out as you are with finding the right major.   You'll figure out what you want to do and when you do, you'll be great at it."

"What do you mean you're not sure?  You've just graduated, seven months along, and you have the fiancé any woman would kill for.   That's nothing to frown about."

"Yeah...I guess."

"Ok.   I don't like the sound of that.   Everything ok with you and Brian."

"This is happening too fast Peyton.  Sometimes I get so scared.  Brian and I are going to be parents.   A year ago, I was flirting with him and he had a fiancée.   And now, I'm having his children.   This is just too much too fast."

"Hey...sweetie, sit down.   Take a break.   Are you having second thoughts about the babies, keeping them?"

"No...I want the babies...I do.   It's just when I graduated, all I could think about was how my life has changed.   What happened to my dream of becoming a teacher?  Huh?"

"Do you love him?"

"What?"

"Do you love this man, sweetie it's a real question?"

"Yes.  I love him.  But..."

"It's your hormones.   I read all about this.   It's normal to feel this way.   You just need to think about how much he loves you."

"...he's hardly home.   I mean I hardly see him.   Maybe his mother is right."

"Hold up!  Don't do this to yourself Nic.  Don't go down that dark tunnel of agreeing with anything that crazy woman has to say.  Her intent is to destroy this beautiful love you have with her son.   You are going to be a mother soon to the most beautiful babies ever.   And you have the love of a man named Brian.   And that, Sweetie, is something to be envied.   I wish my life could be as complicated as yours."

"Brian wanted to be a teacher Peyton.   I wanted to be a teacher.   And neither of us is doing what we spent five years studying!   He's slaving away at the dealership...because of me.   It's my fault he isn't doing what he's loved.   It's not fair.  I'm not being fair to him.   This is wrong...it's all wrong."

"Wait...hold on there.  I thought Brian was doing this for his father?" Peyton paused for clarity.

"That's what he says.   If that was so, then why now, why is he taking over the dealership now?   I've never once heard him say that becoming an auto dealer was what he went to school to achieve.  This is all wrong Peyton.   Look what I've done to this man...My god!  I've gotten pregnant and taken his dream and exploded it."

 

***

 

Brian glimpsed at a picture taken at his graduation from Wayne State University.    The pad of his thumb brushed away a spot of lint.   In the composition was he, Nicole, Greg, Neil, and Celeste.   All dressed in black gowns and caps holding a rolled up paper, tied with a green satin string.   By spring, their certificates would be mailed.   For Greg, an earned degree in engineering, the other four to be teachers, and yet only two would be filing employment applications-Neil and Celeste.   Greg was still undecided, but closely considering a permanent job as a sales rep at Santi Motors.  

Nicole was pregnant with twins-Brian's children.   And he had no regrets.   Outside the snow confirmed a white Christmas would be this year if the weather continued its current stride.   The first together as an official couple for him and Nicole, and still hard to believe a year ago, he was set to marry another woman-Lizette Blanchard, a girl he was groomed for since birth.   It wasn't an arrangement, but it was expected.   Their parents were friends and when the babies were born, it was nearly etched in the stars that Lizette and Brian would unite.   The two were friends who grew into lovers.   Under the pressure of friends and family, they undoubtedly took their relationship to the next level, but Lizette's confirmed infidelity began to unravel the layers of their pre-packaged love affair.   Brian was committed to her in spite of her cheating ways and was set to go through with marrying his friend, until he met Nicole Mendes.   By surprise she stole his heart, although he wasn't ready to admit it aloud, he was conflicted in his feelings to marry the one he'd planned to and the woman he couldn't get out of his thoughts.

It wasn't a straight path to love for him and Nicole.  She had suffered the loss of her lover and had locked her heart away, daring Brian to find the key.   And without regard to his promise, he began to court her relentlessly until his father became ill and the dynamic of perhaps losing in life and love was far too much for him to fathom, and he unknowingly pushed Nicole away.   A cynic, Nicole took refuge in her deceased lover's angelic arms and began to doubt her feelings for Brian and finding love again after losing.   One night, when all was right in a moment of time, she and Brian made love, where she conceived.   But the pregnancy didn't make clear to her the way she should go, and yet it gave her the strength to accept the condition and carve out a life for and her baby.   Brian discovered her pregnant accidentally when Peyton slipped and told him unknowingly.  

A knock on the door still hadn't removed his thoughts from the cheeky smile of the love of his life in the photo.   "Can I come in?" followed swiftly behind the knock.   Greg Olundegun, one of Brian's fraternity brothers and best friends stopped in to visit. 

"Yeah...come on in man..."  Brian waved Greg inside his office.   His eyes finally deflecting from the image that had captured his thoughts for the last few minutes, before him sat a stack of invoices making it evident he wasn't get out of the dealership before six.  

"Shelly said I have to be here six months before I'm eligible for a Christmas bonus.  Is that true?"  Greg frowned, taking bottled water from the fridge before sitting on the edge of Brian's desk.

"Well...yeah."  Brian poured himself another cup of stale coffee.   The holiday had the dealership opened later than usual.   Sales were steady and the business was on solid footing.  Greg was indeed an asset.   His sales points made it a lighter load for Brian, who could now devote time to learning the managerial aspects of auto sales.   "I can't make an exception on your behalf either.   You know I appreciate all of your work around here.  But the others will scream nepotism.   I can't have that.    But don't worry, your movement around her hasn't gone unnoticed.   You are in the lead for Sales Rep of the quarter."

"No shit!" Greg beamed.

"No shit...I'm serious.   Gold Key Club is in your future." Brian resounded with pride.  Greg was brimming to be a top sales rep and the fact he was a friend made his choice a stand out decision.  

"I guess that's better than a cheesy Christmas bonus any day."  Greg teased, taking a generous swallow from the bottle.

"That Christmas bonus will be well earned next year, I'm sure of that."  Brian took a gulp from his mug.   Stale, but strong.

"Why are you still here?  I thought you were gone for the day."  Greg studied the pile before Brian.

"I still have some paperwork to go over."

"It will keep until tomorrow.   Go home to that beautiful woman of yours."  Greg teased.

"I'd love to, but I can't.   I have to finish this.   But you're welcomed to leave.  It's well past a day's labor for you."

"Thanks, don't mind if I do.  You know B, I really respect you a lot for how you're taking all of this in stride.   But you aren't going to make a million in one day."

"I have a family now man.   I didn't go to school for this.   All of those summer's here as a car porter and junior sales hasn't quite prepared me for dealership owner.   It's a lot to this."

"I'm sure.   So how's Nicole?"  

"She's good, getting more round every day."  Brian blushed a few seconds and went right back to thumbing invoices.  

 

***

 

"Nic..."   He spoke, coming into the bedroom.   She was sitting up, pillows stacked supporting her lumbar.   Her round belly was fully exposed, tempting for touching.   Brian stooped down and kissed her lips, his right palm caressed her tummy.  And then he planted several kisses to his sleepy twins nestled inside Nicole's womb.

"You took a bath without me, no fair." He whispered.

"You're late...so I'd say it's a draw."  She volleyed.

He was getting in later and later from work as if she hadn't noticed how in the past couple of weeks he'd gone from a few minutes over to several hours past the closing.  Dinner was cold, Nicole's mood matched it.   Brian undid his tie.   Slowly disrobing, he tossed his shirt, socks, and slacks into the clothes hamper.   Into the hot sprays and out before she stirred in her sleep, Brian dried himself, dressed in boxers and warmed his dinner in the microwave.   He was no stranger to hard work.   To him, it was labor of love.   But to Nicole, this was a hell she doomed him to the moment he found out she was pregnant.

"I'm doing this for us..."

Nicole placed her lips to his.   "No you are doing this because you think this is the only way to make me happy.   And I'm telling you that this isn't it.   I don't want you slaving away at the dealership trying to give me a life that you think I want."

"What are you saying?"  Brian climbed into bed next to her.

"I'm saying that you've given up a lot for me and the babies, and I'm not going to let you throw away your dream of teaching for me."

"Nic..." He tried to speak, but her finger pressed to his lips and silenced him.

"Let me finish..."  She asked.  He kissed her finger tip.   "...I don't want you to give up everything you've worked so hard for.   I won't let you.   I never asked you to do this, and I've decided to go back to work next fall."

Brian winced.  He didn't want Nicole to read his expression, though the abrupt way he stood up pronounced his opinion vehemently.  

"Are we going to fight about this?" He asked.

"No.   I've said my peace."  She held her gaze.   Brian threaded his fingers with hers.  

"I'm doing this because it's going to give us a great life.   I don't want you having to rush back to work.    Nicole, we're having twins.   And that's going to be a full time job.   I'm working for us, ok.   Yes, I went to school to become a teacher.   It was my dream.   But dreams change..."

"When...How?   Like four months ago..." 

"I let you talk, and now I want you to listen."  She sighed, in agreement.   "I've never been as happy before as I am right in this very moment.   I want to make you happy.   I don't see anything wrong in wanting to give the mother of my children a good life.  I don't want you or these babies to want for anything.   Now, I can't stand in the way of your decision to go to work.   But I decide where I work, and I choose Santi Motors.   I love kids, and knowing you are carrying twins is more than I could have ever hoped for."

Tears welled in her eyes.   Brian kissed her lips softly, parting them as his tongue slipped inside and tasted hers.

"I apologize for being so late.   But Baby, I promise you that after the holiday, I'm cutting back five minutes a day until I'm home at decent hour."

"That's relative.   I want you home by six." Nicole pouted, holding her ground.

"Done."  Brian agreed, stroking her tummy some more.  He loved the soft warmth of her belly.

"And I'll hold dinner for you then, because I don't like to eat alone."  She dug in for more demands while the floor was open.

"Neither do I..."  He rubbed his hand over her belly, feeling the twins flutter and kick.   "I love you."

"I love you too."   Brian caressed her thighs, gliding his palm to her moist mound.   "Wait..."

"No...let me love you...ok.   Let me..."  He kissed her neck and down her shoulders before pulling her into his lap, his mouth capturing hers again and again, cupping her ass he grazed her hot center over the harden length of his penis.

 

***

 

"Something tells me someone is going to be getting a ring this Christmas."  Peyton cooed as she and Nicole passed Zales Jewelry Store at Fairlane Mall.  Last night she and Brian made passionate love and today, she was struck with a burst of energy to go shopping for the perfect gift for her perfect guy. 

"I'm getting a mink jacket.   I already picked it out, tried it on and everything, so go somewhere with your predictions."  Nicole stuck out her tongue and rolled her eyes playfully to her best friend.  

"Well, hypothetically speaking, if you were to get that ‘ring' would you accept his proposal?"

"I'm not answering that.   Let's make a stop at the Food Court.   I'm hungry."  Nicole pretended to be unfazed by the question Peyton asked, knowing well she wasn't sure what she'd say.   She loved Brian.   But she wasn't expecting a ring nor was she hinting around to him getting her one.   Actually she was more the listener whenever Brian broached the subject.   She'd been engaged before, and her fiancé died.   The lost was devastating, so the last thing she was expecting to find was love again, and so soon.   She was taking baby steps in this relationship and putting no pressure on Brian to make a formal commitment, even though it was clear to all who knew them that they were hinged at the hip.

"Fine...I won't bring it up again.   So what are you getting him for Christmas?"

 

***

 

"So, what do you think?"  The sales rep named Trish at DeBeers Jewelers asked.   The young lady in this man's life was one lucky girl.   Brian eyed the 5k Platinum band with baguette diamonds on each side of a princess cut solitaire stone with much discrimination.   Greg blushed at the young lady who seemed immune to his charms.   Her attention was on the ‘spender'.  

"This one, does it come with a matching band?" Brian studied the case for something that remotely resembled the one that caught his eye for Nicole's finger.

"Why yes it does!  Are you thinking of going with the complete bridal set?" Trish blushed, surely counting the commission on this sale.

"Well, I want our rings to match."

"It's a nice touch."  Trisha admired his choice.

Greg's eyes nearly bugged out of their sockets when he spied the price tag.   Brian seemed to not mind or care.  He had a particular ring in mind and he rested on his eyes doing the searching, sparing no expense.   He'd been to several stores, and finally had found the one he felt was made just for Nicole's finger.

"Very well then, I think you made a great selection.   Your girlfriend must be quite special."

"Yes.  She means the world to me." Brian's eyes glazed.  This was going to be the first of many special holidays together.  Next year, they'd be parents.   He'd vowed to himself that he'd never let a day go by without making Nicole feel special.  He hoped this ring was evident of his commitment to her heart and happiness.

 

***

 

Brian pushed the navy blue velvet box into his pocket after staring at it for the longest time.   He needed to find a place to hide it, from Nicole's prying eyes.   She was home all day, which gave her plenty of time to search the entire loft and find it.   Instead of tempting her, he placed the empty box in his under wear drawer and slipped the rings into a tiny red satin satchel, drew the string and hooked to the tree like it was simply another ornament.   Perfect.  She wouldn't think to look there on the tree, since at least a dozen red sacks were displayed all over it.

He spent an hour trying to find the perfect hideaway.   The snow had ceased and he was grateful to be home early.   He knew Nicole was out doing some shopping with Peyton, but it was getting close to dusk and it concerned him that she wasn't home yet although it was still very early evening.  He'd set the table, lit candles, and paced the floor, checking his watch.  Her favorite Chinese take-out sat on the stove as he tried to watch a little television and pretend to not be worried. 

"Hey, Sweetie." Nicole kissed Brian's lips.

"Where have you been?"  He righted his gait, taking her down to his lap.  Asleep, he hadn't heard her come in; startled by her kiss he was awakened.

"I went to do a little shopping." She replied.  "H mm, is that Chinese I smell?  I'm starved, let's eat."  She wiggled out of his hold.  His eyes followed her to the coat closet, never saying a word.  He rose and walked into the kitchen.  Silent.  She could feel the weight of his quiet playing heavily on her senses but decided against addressing it.  She wasn't on a long distance trip, it was shopping after all.  And she still wasn't happy after walking the mall for two hours she still hadn't found the perfect gift for her guy.

"I'll serve.  You sit.  I'm sure your feet are swollen from all of that walking you've been doing."  Brian spoke bluntly.  Nicole cleared her throat and took a seat at the dining room table only after retrieving ice and lemonade from the fridge.  Brian set the plates and took a seat.  He was obviously too upset to eat, evident by the way he wove his fingers together tightly, staring at it as if the sweet and sour chicken was unfamiliar to him.

He took a sip from his drink, then a huge gulp.  "You mind telling me why you don't have your cell phone with you?"

"Ok...I forgot it.  It's not a big deal."

Too angry to eat on that word and the blasé way she spoke on his concern, Brian scooted from the table and took his drink to the living room, preferring the comfort of the cablevision over Nicole.

She took a few bites and chews, washed it down with lemonade and followed him to the sofa.  Rubbing her fingers through his thick but shortly cropped hair, she massaged it until he turned to look up into her eyes. 

"I'm sorry; I should have called you from Peyton's phone.  I didn't mean to worry you Baye."  Softening to her words, entranced by the essence of her skin he couldn't fight the love he felt or the resist her touch. 

Brian still wouldn't hold her gaze for long.  The attention and warmth they shared was now cold.  She was at first feeling vindicated by his brooding, giving him a taste of what she felt daily.  But she missed the cute way they'd cuddle and neck like teenagers.  Kissing his cheek briefly, Nicole turned to walk away and he captured her arm, pulling her back into his full reach.  Her eyes were wet with tears and he knew that it was time to clear the air. 

"You know I worry."  He pulled her to his lap.

"And why can't I go shopping for a gift for you, without being policed like some child?"

"First, you aren't a child and don't say I treat you that way, because it's not true.  I love you, and I worry about you.  You're carrying my babies Nicole!" Sorry for the elevation in his tone he lowered it almost immediately.   "You don't need to buy me anything; I don't want you out in the cold on your feet shopping for me.  I have everything I want with you, right here." He touched her stomach for emphasis.  "There is nothing wrong with me wanting you safe, so don't question me about how I treat you."  He planted his nose against her temple, kissing her softly on her cheek bone.

"I love you too.  And I didn't mean to worry you.  But you are doing everything and if you give up your dream for me, for us...I don't think I can live with that."

"Hold up!"  Brian pulled away.  "I made a sacrifice that I'd do over again.  I wanted to be a teacher.   Dreams change.   I don't regret for a moment the choices I've made, so don't you."

"I don't...but..."

"But nothing.  I heard you Baby, when you said you wanted to spend more time together, and me to be home more.  I did that, for you, for us.  I want you to be happy.  But also I realized that your happiness is what makes me happy."  His eyes reddened, as he fought the emotion that was bringing with it tears he didn't want to show.

"Why is it that you can make all of the sacrifices, and I don't huh?" Nicole's lips trembled.

"You are making a sacrifice Baby, many to be exact.  You are having my children for one.  The second thing, you are allowing me to take care of you.  And I know for someone like you Nic that can't be easy."  He cupped her chin, kissing her lips.

"Are we fighting?" She asked.

"No...no Baby, we're having a discussion.  It's passionate, sure.  That's because we are passionate people.  But no, we're not fighting.   I think you understand me.   I understand you.  I just wish you'd stop reacting to your anger with me, because it's careless Nic.  I'd never avoid checking in with you.  I worry about you.  And it hurts that you would just go out..."

She threw her arms around his neck, pressed her forehead to his and kissed his nose, then his lips softly and passionately.

"I love you.   I'm sorry."  She cried.  "I just wanted to find you something that could show how much I appreciate all that you are doing for me, for us."

"You know how you can thank me?  By being responsible and not careless, by not rejecting every little thing just on principle, and letting me take care of you."

"But what about me taking care of you?" she asked.

"You do.   That's just it; you take care of me, by simply taking care of you and the babies.   Respecting my word that I'm going to make a great life for us and that is how you take care of me.   That is how you give back to me.  Nicole, I want you to be my wife, not just the mother of my children.  But if I..."

"You want me to be what?"  She interrupted his speech.

"I want you to be my wife." He repeated.

Sighing, for the way he just openly spoke the words without thought or hesitation as if he'd been pondering it in is being.  He eased her off from his lap and went over to the three foot fiber optic tree decorated in gold lights and traditional holiday miniatures.   Nicole watched his movements as he took the small bag from the tree and brought it over to her.   Getting down on one knee, Brian took her left hand as she tried to capture the fresh tears that were falling from her eyes. 

"Nicole, America Mendes will you be my wife?" 

Her words caught in her throat.  As he slipped the ring out of the satchel and placed it on her finger.  It was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen next his face that she woke up to each morning.

"Well...Ms. Mendes?"  He asked again.

"Yes...oh Yes!" She cried fastening her lips to his.  "I want to be everything for you Brian, I love you so much."

"You are all I want, right here, right now.  The person I've fallen in love with is still here, she may be pregnant and even a little moody at times."  He laughed.  "But she's still here, and I've never been more in love than I am now." His kiss showed the very words he'd just spoken.  Nicole received that love and sucked back tears, as hard as it was to contain herself, she tried. 

This man that had given up so much for her now wanted her to be his wife.  She didn't believe that love would ever find her again, and she sure didn't think she warranted all of his sacrifice.   Opening her eyes she peaked at the ring, hugging him tighter and trying hard to believe that this wasn't a dream that she'd wake up from. 

The End






Chapter End Notes:

Merry Xmas