Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 12

Thankful he had thought to pack a couple of business suits along with his causal clothes, A.J., wearing a light gray suit with a matching color tie, stepped off the elevator into the hotel lobby. He saw two gentlemen standing off to the side and approached them.

"Phillip Connors?" he asked, looking from one distinguished-looking man to the other.

"Yes," a tall man with salt and pepper hair responded. "A.J. Quartermaine?"

"Yes."

They shook hands, and then Phillip introduced A.J. to his business partner, Daniel Rodriguez.

"Pleased to meet both of you," A.J. said, after shaking hands with the dark-haired Daniel. "Why don’t we go into the hotel restaurant to talk? I’ll buy you breakfast."

After coffee had been served and the waitress had taken their orders, they got down to business.

"One of your associates, Skye Chandler-Cudahy, contacted us and said you’re looking for some information about a liver transplant for someone."

"That’s correct. The person lives here in Philadelphia and is on a waiting list. But the doctors are also trying out a new drug. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but I would like to learn as much as I can about this process, and I’d also like to know if there’s anything I may be able to do or that you or someone you may know who deals with this type of illness and surgery may be able to do."

Daniel spoke up. "I can tell you that it’s a very straightforward process. If the person is on the waiting list, the doctors on the case will be notified when a liver that matches this person’s information becomes available. At that point, the doctors will tell your friend what needs to be done. We can tell you that one of the major factors is that the person has to be ready to go where the liver is. Depending where this person is on the list, if other candidates for the liver are not in a position to have the surgery, they are bypassed to the next name on the list. There is a very short window of opportunity once a liver does become available, but the medical people do try to help in any way they can. People can be ahead of your friend on the list, but if there is a mismatch of any kind with the size or the blood type or their availability, they won’t be getting that particular liver."

"Also," Phillip added, "were you aware that General Hospital in Port Charles is now capable of doing liver transplants?"

"No," A.J. admitted, "I wasn’t aware of that. I never thought about this until just a few days ago."

"You might want to check with them. You can contact the administrative director, Nikolas Cassadine, for information. Ask him if you can consult with their chief of staff, Dr. Ellen Burgess-Harmon. She is the one responsible for having General Hospital become one of the few hospitals in the area that can perform this type of surgery. She and Nikolas will be advised of any livers which may become available."

"That’s fantastic," A.J. said. "Thank you very much for sharing this information with me."

"It’s our pleasure," Daniel said. "Your organization has helped us many times as we try to make more people aware of the programs that are available in their areas and to get the younger people to start thinking more about the effects drinking and taking drugs will have on their health. We’re happy to assist you any time, A.J. I hope you know that."

"I do. And believe me, this morning, you have helped me immeasurably."

*~*

As soon as A.J. returned to his hotel room, he got on the phone and shortly thereafter, he heard Nikolas Cassadine’s voice in his ear.

"Nikolas! This is A.J. Quartermaine."

"A.J.?! Wow, it’s been a long time."

"Yes, it has. How are you?"

"Fine. I guess I don’t have to ask how you’re doing. I see your name in print all the time. I think it’s great."

"Thanks."

"Is this a business call? Do you have a program or a service you want to offer to us?"

"No, it’s actually a personal business call if that makes sense."

Nikolas chuckled. "No, that doesn’t make sense. Explain, please."

A.J. laughed, too. "Yes, I guess I’d better."

He relayed the details of Keesha’s condition, without mentioning her name, and also what he had learned earlier that morning.

"Is it possible to meet with Dr. Burgess-Harmon? After we consult with my friend’s doctors, of course."

"I’m sure Ellen would be more than happy to meet with you. Let me give you her direct number, and once you’ve worked out the details there, call her. I’m positive something can be arranged. She is very proud of her program and the fact that GH is able to assist in keeping even more people alive."

"Thanks very much, Nikolas. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this. I’ll be in touch soon."

"Good. If things work out, it sounds as though you might be making an appearance here. You’d better stop by my office to say ‘hello’."

"I will," he assured him. "I definitely will. Thanks again."

"No problem. Good luck. I hope everything works out for your friend."

"Me, too, Nikolas. Me, too."

*~*

Julianna greeted A.J. cordially when he arrived that afternoon.

"Mama had a bad night," she informed him, as soon as he stepped inside. "Michelle, the home care nurse, just left."

"What did she say?" A.J. asked, concerned. "Do we need to do something for your mother?"

"No. Michelle talked to Dr. Williams. He told her to increase Mama’s medication. She’s resting now."

"Did you or your mother talk to the doctor?"

"No. He’ll probably call later to find out how Mama’s doing. A.J.?" she said, as they began to walk towards Keesha’s room.

"Yes?"

"Mama was happy when I told her you were coming. I know you’re helping her. I need to learn to keep how I feel about you to myself."

"I don’t think that’s the answer. I think we both just have to remember to put your mother’s needs above our own."

Julianna nodded as they entered the room. She hung back while A.J. approached the bed.

"Are you feeling better?"

"A little."

"Can we get you anything or do anything for you?"

"Michelle said she was going to call Dr. Williams with an update. She said he might prescribe a stronger medication for me."

"I’ll call his office, Mama," Julianna volunteered. "If he did call in a prescription, I can pick it up."

"Thank you, sweetheart. I’d appreciate that."

Julianna left the room. Keesha reached for A.J.’s hand and squeezed it.

"Last night’s pain terrified me," she confided. "It reminded me how close to the end I really am."

"Keesha, don’t," he said, reaching out to gently stroke her hair and her face. "Do you think maybe your pain was caused by our conversation? Julianna and I agreed not to cause you any stress."

"I got sick, A.J., because I’m not well. My body chose a very effective way to remind me of that fact."

Julianna returned and found her parents sharing a very close and tender moment. She witnessed her father wiping a tear from her mother’s cheek with the pad of this thumb. She heard her mother asking A.J. to hold her, for just a little while, and she watched, with mist-filled eyes, as her father gently enveloped her mother into his strong arms. He seemed to treat her as if she were a precious gift he was afraid would break. Unable to look away, she observed, mesmerized, as her mother laid her head on A.J.’s shoulder and allowed him to offer her the comfort and solace she so obviously needed.

"For however long you need," she heard her father say, "let me be your strength, Keesha. Please let me do this for you."

Julianna silently retreated from the room. She acknowledged her mother needed this time alone with A.J. She left the house to go pick up the medication, believing they wouldn’t even realize she had gone.

*~*

When A.J. heard Keesha’s quiet sobs against his chest, his heart ached for all that he knew Keesha had been shouldering and had been carrying. Alone.

"Go ahead, sweetheart," he whispered against her neck. "Let it out. Let it all out. It’s okay. I’m here for you, Keesha. I’m here."

She continued to cry softly, and he continued to comfort her as best he could.

"Tell me what else you need," he said, when her tears had stopped.

"Hold me closer," she instructed. "Let me feel your warmth, A.J."

He did as she asked. He whispered soothing words in her ear and lovingly massaged her back. Keesha closed her eyes and let his nearness and his words console her. She finally let herself relax completely in his arms. She felt safe. She felt protected. She felt as though she could keep the demons that threatened to possess her at bay. Her head began to clear, and the pain in her body began to ease.

"Thank you," she said, in no hurry to leave his wonderful embrace.

"Keesha, I will do this and more for you anytime you want me to."

She lifted her head and gazed into his worried hazel eyes.

"My time is running out, A.J., and I have a few more things I want to share with you. May I?"

"Certainly, but only if you feel strong enough. I don’t want you to overdo it."

"I feel better," she said.

She leaned back against the propped up pillows but continued to hold A.J.’s hand.

"What do you want to tell me?" he asked, caressing the inside of her wrist with his smooth fingers.

"It’s about Julianna."

"I’m listening."

"As you’ve probably noticed, jewelry is one of our daughter’s main weaknesses. Chocolate is another, but we won’t get into that."

"Noooo," he said and chuckled, glad the mood had lightened a bit. "I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve seen one, maybe even two fingers, that didn’t have a ring on it."

"That child," Keesha said, shaking her head. "She even wears toe rings and must have at least fifty bracelets. I swear sometimes she wears them all. On one wrist!"

A.J. laughed. "At least her jewelry is very tasteful."

"She’s worn jewelry since she was about three. She used to go into my room. She knew exactly where my jewelry box was. She would dress up and be so proud of herself. I couldn’t help but laugh at how she would look sometimes. I have pictures of her in one of the albums upstairs. I’d like you to see them."

"I will," he promised. "I’d love to see what she looked like."

"Because she loves jewelry so much, I decided to purchase a few necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings as gifts for her to commemorate special occasions in her life. I also bought cards to go along with each gift, and I’ve written letters to her. The jewelry, cards, and letters are in the bottom drawer of my dresser upstairs. Justus and Dara know about it. In fact, Dara was kind enough to pick up the items I’d selected from a jewelry catalog, and she has my list of when to give Julianna certain items. I want you to know about this, too. Again, everything is included in my Will, but I don’t want Julianna to know. I want my gifts to be surprises for her. Doing this was my way of being able to give to her after I’m gone. She’ll know that I was always thinking about her and that I wanted to be a part of every milestone event in her life. I never want her to forget me, A.J."

"Sweetheart, she won’t. Julianna will never forget you. Never!"

"I think about the things in her life I won’t be a part of, and my heart shatters. The way I felt last night, I don’t think I’m going to make it to see her turn sixteen. I may not even make it through the summer."

Keesha’s voice broke, and she reached for a tissue to dry her eyes.

"Don’t think that way, Keesha. I believe you have every reason to hope for the future."

"Why?" she asked, trying to pull herself together.

"I found out a few things this morning that encouraged me. Do you feel up to hearing about them?"

Keesha nodded.

"Julianna should be a part of this. Would you mind if I go get her?"

"No. If she’s not in the kitchen or the living room, she’s probably upstairs in her room."

"I’ll be right back."

A few minutes later, a concerned A.J. returned to Keesha’s room.

"I looked everywhere I could think of," he said, "but I couldn’t find our daughter. Keesha, I think she’s gone."