Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


For the rest of the day and night Paris cried and tried to get in touch with Justin,but he didn’t answer any of her calls.She also tried to call Francine,but of course,she was nowhere to be found.She wanted so much to call Pierre,to have his shoulder to cry on and to have someone help her eat a whole jug of ice cream.But of course she couldn’t.She felt so alone now.She never thought that things would be this bad and happen so fast.She laid on her new bed with Baby and cried herself to sleep.

*______________________*

The next morning,Paris woke up and decided to throw herself into her work.She was going to try her best to not think about what happened.But she felt that there was a bigger weight on her shoulders.She thought that now since Justin knows the truth that she wouldn’t have any other worries but now she felt worse.

She arrived at the office and went straight to hers,she sat down behind her desk and put her hair into a tight bun.She was also wearing a black pant suit.She looked like she was going to someones funeral,but she pretty much was.She herself felt like she was dead to the world.

“Hey Paris”she heard someone say.It was Chelsea.She merely smiled at her,”Here are your messages”she said as she gave her two slips of paper.

“Thanks”she said quietly as she looked them over and logged into her computer.

Chelsea stood there for a moment,wanting to ask Paris what was wrong.She felt that Paris needed a hug and someone to say that everything was going to be ok.

“Do you need something Chelsea?”Paris asked her as she looked at her

Chelsea instead shook her head,”No….nothing else”she said quietly and walked out the office.

*___________________*

Paris did her work and returned her phone calls like normal.But she didn’t feel normal.She felt like a zombie.And when the 10 am editing meeting rolled around,she felt like she was invisible.She sat down in her chair and sighed,she couldn’t wait til 5. She just wanted to go home and collapse into bed.She didn’t want to be here at all.

She saw Gabrielle walk in and she didn’t even look at her.Pierre walked in next and she couldn’t look him in the face.Instead of him sitting next to her like he always did,he sat across the room.Just then Lita walked in.

“Good morning everyone”she said cheerfully as she walked in and pulled down the screen and turned on the laptop computer.A few seconds later she was ready.”This issue is one of the best.The reason why is because we have more cover stories and more stories overall in the magazine.Our theme now is More Stories,Lower Price”she said,”We are going to shock all of our readers with our new look.And hopefully we will gain some more”she said.Everyone in the room nodded in agreement

“I first want to welcome Roxy Waters to the team”Lita said as she pointed to a girl with blonde hair.”Her story about Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey’s rocky marriage is sure to get people buying this issue”she said,”Lets all welcome her to the team”she said.Everyone clapped.Pierre patted her on the back

Roxy smiled,”Thanks Lita”

“Your welcome”Lita said as they all looked at the screen.There was a blank presentation and on the bottom right hand corner was a picture of Jessica and Nick. “And theres your first featured story”she said

“Now above that”Lita continued,”Is a veteran’s story”she said as she smiled at Paris,”Here is Paris’ story on another rocky marriage.Of course J-Lo and Marc Antony”she said as a picture of J-Lo appeared above the Jessica and Nick picture.”Is it over?”she asked.

Paris just sat there,wondering how J-Lo was going to feel when her story was featured on the cover.How did Lemmie get the pictures?Did he go to the extremes like Gabrielle’s photographer did?

“Now on the left here is an interesting story.Lindsay Lohan and Wilmer Valderamma”Lita said as a picture showed the two young stars.”This story was written by Pierre here-“

“Wait,its not on the cover?Whats wrong with you people!?”Pierre said.Paris almost smiled.Pierre was still the same.

“Its just not juicy enough”Lita said and smiled,”As you know,Lindsay just turned 18 and has done a lot of partying.But is she moving too fast?Growing up too fast?And there are rumors that Mandy Moore has been talking some smack about her ex boyfriend and his new girl?”she asked Pierre

“Oh yes,total jealousy issues”Pierre said,”Especially since Mandy is now single and not dating that tennis star”

“Now on to bigger news,now I have to say that this almost made the cover story but…. things happen.I cant explain”she said as she showed a picture of Anna Nicole,”Wow David, explain this story to us”she said

“Well of course Anna Nicole has been on a rampage with this TrimSpa stuff”he explained,”Now the TrimSpa has helped her lose weight but it also made her breasts larger,so large that the silicone burst”he said.As soon as he said that,the whole room burst out in laughter.

Paris sat there and shook her head.That was totally ridiculous.Now that wasn’t even true.Just then the cover story came into view and sure enough,there was her and Justin in front of the grocery store this past Friday.She gasped,she was on the cover?!

“And our cover story written by Gabrielle here is about the world’s most sexiest man…cheating?”Lita said

Paris stood up,”No that’s not true”

Gabrielle laughed,”Don’t worry Paris,you can have the cover story next week”she said snottily

“That’s not what I'm talking about,that article isn’t true and you know it!”she exclaimed

“Paris calm down”Lita said,”We’re not saying that Justin is cheating on you,we’re saying that hes cheating on Cameron”

“But hes not cheating on Cameron!”she said,”He never did!Lita I told you that they broke up mutually and he met me months after that!”

“I know that Paris,but that’s not going to make a juicy story”Lita said

“So your going to put lies on the cover!About me!?Someone you work with!?”Paris said

“Its not like we haven’t done it before”Gabrielle said,”Your story about that Britney and Christina cat fight was a lie,but you made it the truth, Paris.Its our job”

“I don’t want to be on the cover!”Paris said,”And that’s final.I don’t want rumors and lies spread about me.Lita,you know people all over the world read this magazine and most of them believe what we’re writing about!”

“But Paris,people all over the world don’t know you”Lita said as she looked at the picture,”Paris,you know…it doesn’t even look like you.You can barely see your face-“

“But its mine!There's no getting around it!”Paris said,”Have Gabrielle write another story or put another story on the cover but I don’t want my laundry out on the streets like that!”

“So you suggest that Anna be on the cover Lita?”Dave asked

“That story is also total bullshit!Boobs don’t blow up!Its not possible!”Paris said getting angry.”Who on this earth would be so stupid to believe that!?”

“Paris calm down”Lita said,”Just sit down please and lets finish this meeting”she said,”If you wanna talk about this we can go in my office later and discuss it-“

“No I wanna discuss it now”Paris said,”I want the cover gone”

"We cant do that Paris,its already in printing”Lita said,”You know that,its too late.We don’t allow late entries anymore.Whatever we say at this meeting goes”

“Ok…”Paris said,”Everything we say at this meeting goes?”

“Yes exactly”Lita said

“Then I go”Paris blurted out.She stopped,did she just say that?Then she realized that she did and it felt like a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders.

“What do you mean?”Lita said

“Then I go”Paris repeated proudly.”I cant do this anymore Lita.I cant write lies and rumors anymore!When I graduated college I wanted to be a writer,but I wanted to write about stuff that matters…like real love”she said,”Maybe that’s why I am so obsessed with J-Lo and her marriage because I wish that I had love”she said.Everyone looked at her with shock,but she kept talking,she didn’t know why she didn’t do this a long time ago.

“So what are you saying Paris?”

“That I'm leaving!I'm going.I quit”Paris said as tears came to her eyes,”This job,this fucking cover story about me and Justin is just the reason why Justin hates me right now”she said,”This job is totally ruining my life and I lost the best thing that has happened to me because of it!”

“Ok Paris”Lita said angrily,”This has gone way too far.Your serious about this?We can cut the picture if you want.Show just Justin if you want-“

“No..my mind is made up”Paris said

“Fine,but if you leave now.Don’t think about coming back again and don’t think about ever trying to get back into the tabloid writing business”Lita said angrily.She was shocked that Paris was doing this.

“Fine by me”Paris said as she walked out of the room.She went straight into her office and opened her drawers and packed her things and put them into boxes.

“Paris?”Chelsea said as she stood in the doorway,”What….whats…going on?”

“I'm leaving Chelsea…I'm sorry but you can be someone else's secretary”she said

“Why?”Chelsea said,”Paris are you sure?”

Paris looked at her and smiled,for the first time that day.”Yes I'm sure.I cant do this anymore Chelsea.This job…this place…its just bad karma for me”she said,”I lost Justin because of this,he never wants to speak to me again and now I'm on the cover”

“I'm sorry Paris”Chelsea said,”That’s whats been going on”

“Yeah…”Paris said as she packed another box,”I'm better than this Chels”she said to her,”I'm not just going to be some gossip columnist.I didn’t want that when I was in college.When I was little I didn’t say that I wanted to be a gossip writer I said I wanted to be a writer.And that’s what I'm going to do.I'm better than this and I have potential”

“You do Paris”Chelsea said quietly

Paris looked at Chelsea,she reminded her so much of herself when she first started,”You can leave too Chelsea.Your just like me…gossip is far below you”

“No Paris.I like this job…I like the money”

“But sometimes the money isn’t enough for what you really have to go through”Paris said,”I learned that this week”she said as she put the last box on her desk and cleaned it off

“I'm gonna miss you Paris”she said to her

“I'm gonna miss you most of all”Paris said and smiled and hugged her,”Keep your head up kiddo”she said

“You too”Chelsea said,”Everything’s gonna be ok for you alright?”

“I know”Paris said as picked up one of the boxes and put her briefcase on top of it

“Need help?”Chelsea said quietly

“Yeah please”Paris said,”The quicker I get out of here,the quicker I can move on”she said as Chelsea picked up one of the boxes.

*_________________*

Paris shut the car door and turned it on.She sat there and stared at the steering wheel.She actually did it,she quit her job.Now she was unemployed…but she didn’t care.She was happy.She didn’t have to lie anymore.She put the car into drive and drove off.

*____________________*

Paris stood on Justin’s porch and stared at his front door for a few seconds.She never had to ring the doorbell but she should now. Since she really wasn’t welcomed anymore.She could hear Justin playing the piano,the song sounded familiar.It was a slow ballad.She got up the courage and rang the bell.Soon the piano playing stopped,she heard footsteps and the door opened.He looked at her and didn’t say anything. She didn’t either.They stood there staring at each other in awkward silence,not knowing what to say

“I quit”Paris blurted out,breaking the silence

“Quit what?”Justin asked

“I quit my job.I am no longer a tabloid writer for Inquiring Minds”she said and smiled

Justin didn’t seem so pleased,he leaned against the doorway and said,”So…you want a cookie or something?”he asked sarcastically

“Justin,I know what I did was wrong.But being with you made me realize that all this time I have just been doing this for the paycheck,for the bonuses.I cant write lies anymore,I don’t want to hurt people.Celebs are people too and they and their loved ones need their privacy as well.I left…I quit….for you….and for me”she said,”I did it for us”

Justin looked at her and sighed,”Paris…you gotta understand that there is no us anymore.I know you read my note-“

“I did read it”she interrupted,”But I want to try this again Justin.I didn’t mean to lie and hurt you…but I learned my lesson.I quit and I want to do something important with my life….start over”

“I cant just start over Paris”he said,”I cant trust you anymore.You lied about everything!How can I know that you even quit your job!You might just be lying about that!”

“Justin that’s unfair..I didn’t lie about everything.Everything that came out of my mouth wasn’t a lie”she said

“Ok…”he said.”Fine”.They both stood there again,awkwardly,”Ok let me ask you something-“

“Yeah?”

“Ok…when we first met….what were you really doing at that party?”he asked

“I…was doing my job…at the time.Being a tabloid reporter.We were sent to the party to mingle and converse with people and write about the juicy stories that we overheard or were told”

“We?Someone else was with you?”

“Yeah….remember the guy that hit on JC?"

“The fag?”

“Hes not a fag…well he is….but…hes my friend…was my friend.Anyways,his name is Pierre and we were both sent to do that”

“So let me get this straight….you go and strike up conversations with people or you be nosy and eavesdrop and put peoples laundry into a tabloid?Without their permission?”

“Yeah”she said

“My god….”he said,”Ok…is your uncle really a commercial director?”

“No…I don’t have any uncles….I made that up..as a cover”

“So….what have you told me that was the truth Paris?Huh?”Justin asked

“Ive told you a lot of things!I love cats,I love your music,I love romance novels.My mom and I really aren’t close,Sean really is a jerk and….I love you”

“If you loved me Paris…you wouldn’t have lied to me…for so long!”

“I wanted to tell you Justin.Everyday I was racking my brain of when and how to tell you!Everyday I was falling more in love with you and it made it even harder to tell you that I was lying and who I truly was!”she said,”Justin I don’t know…I don’t know why I let it go for so long but I didn’t want you to find out this way.I was planning to tell you”

“Well your plan came a little too late huh?”he said.Just then a limo pulled into the driveway.”I gotta get going”he said

“Ok…but where are you going?I want to talk more about this”

“There's nothing else to discuss”Justin said as the limo driver went inside and started taking suitcases out of the house,”I'm leaving early to go to New York to do the music video. Paris,there's nothing more to discuss,just let it go”he said as tears came to his eyes as he set the alarm and closed the door and locked it,”Its over”he said and walked away.

She stood there on the porch as he walked to the limo.She saw him get in and saw the limo driver close his door and get in the front seat.And a few seconds later they drove off and were out of sight.Tears rolled down her face and she sighed,it was really over.She ruined everything.She just lost the love of her life.”Its truly over”she said to herself.She would never get to love him again.

*______________________*

The last thing that Paris needed was to run into traffic on the way home.She didn’t need this right now and she felt some road rage boil up inside of her.She was tempted to beep her horn until no tomorrow but that wouldn’t help.When she finally reached the next exit,she got off there.This would mean 20 more minutes of driving, but it was better than sitting there.She drove through a rich looking neighborhood and stopped behind another car as a group of kids crossed the street. That gave her enough time to see an old man and a girl in front of a huge house.The girl turned around and went to her car.Paris glanced at her and then took a double take.It was Francine!

She didn’t even recognize her!She pulled over to the side to let other cars go and watched her.She wasn’t dressed like herself.Her hair was in pigtails and she had on jeans and a tank top.Who was the old guy?Did she know him?Why was she dressed like that!?She waited for Francine to get in her car and she decided to follow her.What was she up to?

She followed her to her house and watched her from down the street.She saw her get out of the car and took her hair out of the pigtails and let herself in.Why wasn’t she at work?She sat there for a few minutes and thought.Then she pulled up in Francine’s driveway.She got out and rang the doorbell.

“Paris?”Francine said surprisingly as she opened the door,”What are you doing here?”

“I should ask you the same thing”she said as she walked in,”Why aren’t you at work?”

“I should ask you the same thing” Francine said,mocking Paris.

“You really wanna know?”Paris asked as she sat down on a stool in the kitchen.

“Sure,I would like to know why my daughter isn’t at work”she said as she looked at her watch.”Its not even noon yet”

“I quit”Paris said nonchalantly as she took a grape out of the wicker bowl on the table.

“YOU WHAT!?”Francine said as she went over to her,”WHY!?”

“Hey don’t yell.I wanted to.Its my life and I didn’t want to work there anymore so I quit”

“So that means your unemployed!?”

“Yeah”

“Paris!?How can you be so stupid-“

“Francine,why are you freaking out!?You didn’t like that I worked there anyways”

“But it was good money though!You make more than I made”

“I made more than you made”Paris corrected her,”So you only liked me working there cuz I made a lot of money?”

“Yeah.I mean you wrote about nonsense.I never read a single article that you wrote there but you made a lot of money.That would make anyone happy”

“Not me”Paris said,”Its not about the money anymore”

“Paris now your unemployed.Now that you have this new apartment…how are you going to support yourself?!”

“I don’t know!I will find another job”Paris said.

“Well don’t bother right?Just move out and move back in with Justin”

“I cant”Paris said sadly,”Justin knows…he knows everything.Its too late,its over now”

Francine sighed,”I told you so”

“DON’T SAY THAT!”Paris shouted,without meaning to.She hated when people said that,”Your saying that like you know everything,like you know what Ive been through”

“See what you got yourself into!?” Francine said,”You have no job,no boyfriend and if this unemployment keeps up you wont have a place to live!Your gonna be completely alone”

“I shouldn’t be completely alone Francine!Your family!You’re my-“

“Don’t say it”Francine said,”Just stop right there.Yes I am family but I'm certainly not that”

“Your right,you don’t look it”Paris said as she looked at Francine’s outfit.”Why are you wearing that?”

“What?This?”Francine asked quietly

“No the evening gown”Paris said sarcastically,”Yes that…what your wearing now”

“I was cleaning the house”Francine said,”I have the day off”

Paris frowned,she looked at Francine.She was lying to her and she felt disrespected,”Your lying”

“How can you accuse me of such a thing?”

“Cuz I know you weren’t cleaning!I know that you just got home and I know that you were in some rich neighborhood over some old guys house!What about Leo?Why are you lying to me!?”

Francine looked at her,”You have been spying on me?”

“No,I just happened to be at the right place at the right time”

“No you were in the wrong place at the wrong time”

“Whatever….Francine what is going on?”

“Paris just…get out”Francine said,she was getting upset and Paris knew that something was going on.She wanted to understand her,she wanted so much to know what was going on with her mother.

“No Fran.I wanna know whats going on!”

“And I have the right not to tell you!”

“I told you everything.How I don’t have a job,about Justin-“

“That’s why you need to leave now.Go out and find a job because I don’t want you to be like me!”Francine exclaimed

“Fran!?What are you talking about!?You have a job!”

“No…not a real one”Francine said

“Wait…what?”Paris asked,this was too weird and it was going too fast.It was hard to keep up

“I was fired!I'm not a social worker anymore…I don’t have a career!That’s why I was at that man's house today….”Francine said,she was very upset

“Why were you at his house?When did this happen?Fran,I'm sorry”Paris said as she got up and tried to comfort her

“NO,JUST GO”Francine shouted,”Paris just get out!Now!”she said as she pushed her toward the door.

“Fran!?Please just tell me whats wrong!?I wanna help you!”Paris said as tears came to her eyes,shes never seen her this upset.Shes never seen Francine cry or come even close to crying and this was a shock to her

“No just go”Francine said,”Please Paris…don’t end up like me.Broke and alone”she said and then slammed the door in her face

Paris stood there shocked.What was going on?Why was Francine acting this way?What was really going on with her?Tears came to her eyes as she sadly accepted defeat and walked away.She went to the car and sat there.Too much happened today.She just needed to go home before this day got any worse.

*___________________*