Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Spock sat beside his wife’s bed. Sickbay was quiet during Beta shift, only the gentle whirring and sporadic beeps of the biobeds punctuating the silence. She lay resting after surgery for injuries received on an away mission. It was supposed to be a routine mission to treat with a humanoid colony whose main settlement bordered a rich dylithium deposit. Uhura beamed down with the Captain, Scotty and Sulu. Spock was left in command.

As he watched his a’duna step onto the transporter pad, an unexplicable dread crept into the back of his skull. Uhura soothed him through their link, sending him peace, reminding him that she was a capable Starfleet officer long before she was his wife. They had had this discussion often, when Spock grew hesitant about assigning her to away missions. Uhura would calmly relate to him her superior performance on away missions that proved dangerous. She handled herself with skill and competence in the mirror universe. She fought off a trained warrior twice her size when they were abducted to Triskelion. Her skill as an officer had not diminished upon their bonding. 

All had gone well until three hours into the mission. Spock was reviewing a few reports by the science station when he was overcome by Nyota’s panic and pain. Spock crumpled to the floor, the PADDS clutched in his hand cracking under his tightening grip, the plastic shards slicing his fingers and spilling green blood onto the floor. Spock heard Chekov call for a medical team before another wave of pain moved through him, ripping a hoarse cry from his throat. Then all went silent, the current of their bond dwindled to a trickle. She was alive but just so.

Waving off the attentions of Dr. McCoy, Spock went into action ordering scans of the planet and the assembly of a security team, which he intended to lead. Then a Klingon bird of prey decloaked before them and Spock found himself engaged in battle. It was a full hour before the away team could be sent to the planet surface. Uhura and Scotty were found in critical condition, Kirk and Sulu injured, but able to make the walk from the transporter room to sickbay under their own power. 

Several hours passed before Spock could come down to sickbay. McCoy had been unusually kind, placing Uhura in a private room with a cot next to her bed. Jim recovered from his injuries and ordered Spock to not report for duty until further notice. Spock spent most of his time in sickbay, sleeping beside his wife, her hand held in his, for the next four days. 

Spock felt his wife regain consciousness before she opened her eyes, her mind a queen of the night, blooming white in the dark. Uhura’s dark brown eyes roamed around the room in confusion before landing on his own dark eyes. She smiled.

“Welcome back, k'hat'n'dlawa,” Spock whispered. “Never leave me again.