Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sitting in her father’s car with Alan, Regina was trying to explain the play to him as best as she could without him getting too confused.

“What?” she said as he just stared, blankly, at her.

“Your eyes become the brightest brown when the sunlight hits them.”

“Alan…this is serious. The paper is due in a week. And thanks for the compliment.”

“You’re welcome. You know my bruises are healing up good. Pretty soon, I’ll look as good as you do.” he said with a crooked grin.

“You’re the only guy I know that would joke about this bruises like that.”

“I know, but that’s why you like me, right?”

“Right.” Regina said as she kissed his cheek. “So, have you talked to your dad, yet?”

“Why did you have to bring him up? I don’t care if I never talk to him for as long as he lives. He kicked the crap out of me for dating you because you’re black. It’s such a stupid reason to hate me. His own son.” Alan said in an angry tone.

“I know that, but don’t you think cutting him out of your life is extreme? Look, as I said before, he’s not going to change his mind about us. I know this, and you know this…”

“Why should I be the one to extend the olive branch? He should be the one apologizing. Regina, you don’t understand. This has been going on way before the schools integrated. He’s always hated me. Ever since mama died…”

“Well, do you think he’s hurt?” she asked and Alan looked at her in shock.

“Are you taking his side?” he asked and Regina let out a sigh. “Regina…he…”

“I know what he did, Alan!” she snapped. “Look, I’m sorry. I don’t like feeling a little sorry for him…especially knowing how he feels about me and you and all blacks for that matter. But, part of me feels like he’s using that pain he feels and taking it out on you. You need to talk to him. If not to convince him that blacks are not evil, you need to talk to him about your mother.”

“What if he won’t listen?” Alan asked as he looked into her eyes. Regina could see the deep sadness that was held in his eyes. She knew, deep down, Alan wanted to talk to his father about his mother the way she said he should.

“Make him listen. Just don’t start another violent fight with him. I would like to kiss my boyfriend without having bruises on his face.”

“But, the bruises make me look so manly.” he said with that cute crooked grin before he let out a laugh causing Regina to roll her eyes and shake her head.

“Are you done? Can we get back to studying?”

“Yeah…I just have one question. What do you miss about New York?” Alan asked as Regina scoffed because it had taken her by surprise.

“Wow…that’s a…um…question. Well, I miss my neighborhood, my friends…not that I don’t like my new friends here. I just miss them, you know. And…I’m not saying everything there was perfect, because it wasn’t. I just miss it, you know…”

“Yeah. I think so. So…” he said as developed a serious look on his face. “Where are you thinking of going to college?”

“Um…Let’s not talk about that right now. Let’s get back to studying…”

“You’re going to college in New York, are you?” he asked and she let out a sigh.

“Don’t do this now, Alan…” Regina said wishing he had never said that. Of course, she was going to college in New York. She had planned on doing that ever since she was a little girl.

“Forget about the paper right now. Regina…I may not get this English Literature stuff, but I ain’t stupid. I know you’re going to college in New York. I’m not mad. I just don’t want to lose you. Hell, we only started dating weeks ago.

“I know, but going to Sarah Lawrence was a dream of mine ever since I can remember. I don’t want to talk about his, right now. It’s not even January, yet…” she said feeling shocked that time had gone by so slow, yet she felt as if it was flying by. In a few months, they would be graduating and, most likely, going to different colleges.

“Okay…I’ll let it go, for now. One thing at a time, right?” he said with a chuckle. “Now, about this paper…” he began, but Regina leaned over and kissed him. “What was that for?”

“Making our time together count for as long as I can.” she said with a smile. “Oh, Carole King!” she said as she tuned the radio up and started singing along to, “It’s Too Late”.

“Ah…girl music.” he said and she, playfully, hit him on the shoulder. “Ow…”

“Carol King is not girl music. You’re just jealous of my great taste in music.” she said as she stuck out her tongue and continued to sing along.

“I’ll get you to like country one of these days.”

“I doubt it, but you could keep trying. I like you, but I just can’t do it…”

“You will…” he said as the song changed and Regina turned the music down. They continued studying and going over the play until Regina dropped him off at Coach Yoast’s house. She was happy that his coach had taken him in and kept him away from his dad, but she knew he need to talk to his dad.

“Regina…I’m sorry for bringing up the college thing…” he said in a sad tone as he held his head low. She didn’t want him to feel bad about talking about it.

“It’s okay. We’re going to have to face it sooner or later. I don’t know…just because we might be going to different colleges doesn’t mean we have to stop talking to each other. We could write each other and stuff like that. Maybe a call on our birthdays. I don’t want to stop being your friend. I just know…the college I want to go to is in New York.”

“I understand. I don’t know where I want to go, yet, so I might be going to college in New York. You never know. I doubt I would fit in, though.”

“You would fit in…I think people would make fun of your accent the way people have been making fun of mine.” she said jokingly.

“People made fun of your accent?” Alan asked in surprised.

“Yeah…mostly Petey…” she said as she rolled her eyes and shook her head. “But, seriously, Alan. Don’t base your college choice on where I’m going to be.”

“I know…I just don’t know where to go. I never have. Honestly, I didn’t think I would even go to college. I never thought I was smart enough. That was until you…”

“Aww…” she said as she kissed him. When she pulled back, she saw Coach Yoast standing at the window peaking through the blinds. “I think you should go in. I see your coach peaking out the window…” she said with a light laugh.

“Yeah…I’ll see you at school tomorrow.” Alan said as he got out of the car. “Regina?”

“Yeah?” she said as he stood beside her car with the door open.

“I want you to meet me in the library after school.”

“Why?” she asked feeling curious as to what he was up to.

“Just meet me. I promise you won’t regret it. I have to go. See you tomorrow.” he said as he shut her car door and went inside. She was pulling out when she saw Alan standing in the doorway waving at her. She just shook her head and laughed at her crazy boyfriend.