Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


There was a sick feeling in the pit of her stomach as she awakened by a loud pounding at the front door. She slept on the couch to be the first one there if the was smart and went to her house instead of going to his. When she opened the door, she almost cried. Alan had been beaten up, bad. His nose looked like it was broken and streaming blood, he was holding his mid-section, and he had cuts and bruises all over his face and he had a black eye.

“Hey…” Alan said as he leaned against he doorframe, and Regina touched his face and he let out a hiss of pain. Through a tired gaze, he stared at her.

“Dad!” Regina shouted over her shoulder as she helped Alan to the kitchen table. “Could you get mom’s emergency first aid kit?”

“Y-yeah…sweet pea.” he said as he went into their bedroom.

“I told you not to go home!” Regina yelled at him. “If you weren’t injured already, I would smack you right now.” she said, angrily.

“I didn’t think my dad would try to kill me. I, honestly, thought he would do this.”

“Here you go, sweet pea.” Reggie said as he returned with the first aid kit and turned the kitchen light on before sitting on the couch.

“What happened?” Regina said as she was examining his face. She knew he would have to go to the hospital because his nose was definitely broken.

“I came home, and my dad was sitting in his chair…waiting. I don’t even know how it started, but we got in an argument. He pushed me, I pushed him back. I knew there was no going back after that and he swung at me. Kept hitting me and cursing and calling you names. Ow.” he said when she applied pressure to his nose.

“Hey, dad. Is mom still working?” she called over her shoulder.

“No. She said she was getting off a little early. You think he needs to go to the hospital?”

“Yeah…I think his nose is broken. Maybe she could fix it when she gets here.” she said before turning back to Alan. “Go on.”

“Anyway, we started brawling. I got in a few good hits, though. Damn near broke every piece of furniture in there, though.”

“You could’ve died. He could’ve been so angry that he might have…even if he wasn’t trying to kill you on purpose. You should’ve stayed with Coach Yoast. Oh, my mom’s here. She’ll help you. But…you might have to be taken to the hospital.”

“Fine…I’ll go.” he said as he saw the door open and a chunky woman in a nurses uniform came in. She almost dropped her keys as she saw Alan’s condition.

“Okay, who the hell is he and what the hell happened to him?” she said a she rushed over to him. She was inspecting his face with an intensity that nurses had.

“Mom…this is Alan.” Regina said and her mother just lifted her eyebrows.

“So, you’re Alan, huh? Well, judging by your face…even in this state…I’d say you’re quite the handsome young man. Nice to meet you.”

“Thanks…” he mumbled feeling a bit uncomfortable and embarrassed.

“Well, the nose is severely fractured, but it ain’t broken. Now, as for your mid-section…I think you might have a bruised ribs. You need to go to the hospital, son.”

“I’ll take him.” Regina said as she stood up. “I mean, I don’t mind.”

“I’ll go with you. They would respond faster if I’m with you.”

“Okay. Alan, can you stand up?” Regina said as she prepared to help him up.

“Yeah, I can get up.” he said with a hiss as he stood up. It was a wonder to her how he managed to walk this far to her house alone in the state he was in.

They were in her mother’s car and were driving to the hospital. Regina was in the back seat with Alan and she was holding his hand. She tried to forget what his father had said to her. She tried to forget that cold, disgusted look he gave her when he saw that she was with Alan. It chilled her to think about it and she knew his face must have been worse when he was fighting with his son.

“We’re here, honey.” Shirley said as she parked the car. They helped Alan into the emergency room. “They’ll see him in a few minutes. I’ll be talking to Roberta if you need me.”

“Regina…I want to say I’m sorry. I should’ve listened to you. I shouldn’t have gone home.”

“I know…but, you’re alright and that’s what matters now.” Regina said with a smile as she stared at him. He was smiling also as he stared at her. “Do you think you need to stay somewhere tonight?” Regina asked as she held his bruised hand.

“I’ll be fine. I think I’m just going to stay with coach. I’m sure his offer still stands.”

“Okay. Hey, Alan…Now, that your dad knows about us…what do you want to do?”

“I’m not breaking up with you, Regina. So, he kicked the crap out of me. Big deal. If he can’t deal with his son being in love with someone different, then…to hell with him.”

“You say that now, but he’s your dad. Are you sure you’re ready to cut him out of your life for me? What if you and I go to different colleges and we meet people? It wouldn’t be worth it to have your dad out of your life, then.”

“I’m still not breaking up with you.” he said with a smirk on his face.

“Okay…what if it would be better if you and I didn’t date. I mean, come on. We’re getting stared at just sitting together here.”

“Then, they’ll really stare if I do this…” he said as he kissed her. When she pulled away, she stared at his busted lip before looking into his eyes. Those wonderful blue eyes, one surrounded by purple and yellow bruise, were staring at her with so much caring and love. Yet…they seemed full of hate and rage because of his father.

“In my defense you kissed me in case someone wants to point the blame.” Regina said with a chuckled. “Your dad really did a number on you…”

“Yeah, well…that’s what I get for being so damn weak. According to him, little Sheryl Yoast could take a tackle better than me.”

“That’s not true…I’ve tried to tackle you hundreds of times and you wouldn’t go down.”

“Yeah? When did you even try?” he said with a laugh.

“Don’t worry about it.” Regina teased as she saw a nurse coming from the back. She was white and looked at Regina and Alan with caution as she saw their hands in each other’s.

“Well, it looks like I’m going to get fixed up. Wish me luck.”

“Luck. I’ll be out here waiting on you.” Regina said as she sat there and reached for a magazine. Her mother came back and sat next to her.

“So, I take it Alan’s father isn’t to happy about your relationship with him. And I, also, take it that he isn’t happy because you’re black.”

“Yeah…he hates me. Hates me even more since I stood up to him and embarrassed him in front of a bunch of other white people. It’s so stupid mom. Just because Alan and I are dating…”

“Regina…you know the exact same thing would happen in New York.”

“Yeah, but it wouldn’t be so bad…it’s like the entire town is stuck behind and…well, I hate it. I want to be able to date Alan without worrying about what people will think.”

“One day, you will, baby…one day, you will.” her mom said in a comforting tone.