Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I’m sick and got sent back to my hotel room so I started writing to keep the depressing thoughts that seem inevitable for all that I’ve seen. I wrote this for my little cousin but I liked it so much I wanted to share and might even make a series of one shots based on the two characters.

BTW it’s based off a short film/commercial called The Route V50(it’s a Volvo) that I saw a while back.




Author's Chapter Notes:

The story is mainly and just basicly Him but She is there because I might make a series of one shots based off the two characters if I have enough time.

It's also my first one shot so please be kind...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


                                     Photobucket Photobucket                                

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I've always heard about it in passing. Confidence, my destination. I don't even know if such a place truly exists just that I've got to go there. I stare up at the Polaroid held up in my hand. Confidence, sunny skies, happy atmosphere, the picture shows an ideal place, a place I haven't been before. She told me I could find her there, she told me I could have her if I found it.

I turn my attention to the town spread out in front of me. Where I am, I don't know, how I got here is not important, but I've been stuck for far too long. A gas station and a bar lay on a lump of a hill standing out from the rest of the buildings scattered around them with a black Lexus alone abandoned on the street that divided the close establishments. The street slumped down the hill straightening after a short distance and going onward to unseen lands. The car drifted down the hill slowing down into a complete stop as the land flattened out near a billboard whose front was unseen facing the desert surrounding the town.

I put the Polaroid away in my briefcase picking it up my curiosity peeked, walking towards the strange oddity. I open the car door finding it unlocked reaching inside to shift the gear to park as a figure turned to face me, shrouded in the shadow of the billboard that loomed over him, facing him message unseen to my eyes.

"Is this your car?" I yell out to him placing my hands in my pockets as I looked over the car at the man.

He took a step closer, his face still shrouded in shadow, but seemed to be baring an air of familiarity. He wore the same black suit as I did, his black tie loose against his white shirt while mine stayed tight straightened.

"It's yours." He replied digging into his pocket throwing the keys over the car. I snatched the keys picking up my briefcase to throw it into the backseat. "Whatever you do don't turn back." He finished as I slide into the car.

I drive along the winding road my mind drifting back to that mysterious man. His deep voice, his facial features hidden among the shadow they bore an eerie resemblance, an eerie resemblance to my own.

The corner of my eye catches a man clad in a white shirt and black pants walking in the desert to my left, turning to look over at me. I was mere feet from him before he ran into the middle of the road waving his arms like a mad man. I hit the breaks the car sliding on, so slightly almost hitting the man. The man rushed to my side, opening the car door.

"Move." The mad man says pushing me from the driver's seat.

I move over to the passenger's seat the man taking the wheel. "I almost ran you over!" I say my voice lined with irritation. "No you didn't." He quickly replies shutting the car door.

He starts the car up turns it sharply into the opposite lane racing down the empty road. I glance over at him a wide grin slapped on his face, a face that resembles mine in gritty detail.

"I see myself." He exclaims, his fingers drum ecstatically on the wheel.

"So can I." I say unable to take my eyes off him.

"If I look really hard I can see myself." He rambles. "I'm right there. This whole time I've been right there."

"Right where?" I question. "Who are you?" I ask slight hysteria brimming in my voice. "Who are you!"

He looks over his shoulder at me. A playful look, as if I have asked a question I know the answer to. His eyes return to the road. He lets out a small laugh and I know that my first suspicions were right. The man before me is mad and my reasons for his driving without my complaint are unknown to me. We pull into a town. He stops the car at a bar, reaching into the back taking a black briefcase that sat next to my own.

"Are you sure you should be taking that?" I say as he flings open the door dashing out.

"You'll figure it out all." He yells as he dashes towards the road, the desert, picking up a black jacket from the ground.

I open the car door letting out a sigh of relief, the mad man was gone, but soon saw I see that I'm at the town where I started and begin to wonder if the man had left some of his madness with me. I walk into the bar, walking past a man to the other side of the counter. I look at the man, my eyebrow rising in confusion.

"How did you get back here?" I ask.

"I was just asking myself the same question." He replies giving me no answer the question asked.

"You ran off in the other direction." I say making a quick motion outside with my head.

"No." He says. "That was another me."

I let out a deep sigh beginning to get frustrated confused at this odd predicament."So how many of us are they?" I ask.

"Hard to say." He says his fingers laced together, shoulders slumped back. "So far three and counting."

"Thanks for your help." I say walking back around the counter to the entrance egger to end the conversation to move along.

"I need a ride." He says. "Just to the intersection."

I agree reluctantly still regretting letting the mad man drive I take the wheel and as we venture off on the road I quickly regret letting the man into my car.

"You looking for Confidence?" He asks.

"I might be." I answer.

"It doesn't exist."He states. "Turn back now."

"I'm not turning back." I say.

He lets out a short mocking laugh. "I'm not turning back." He mimics.

He's eyes cut to the back for a while as he fidgeted in his seat. I stop the car having found the intersection to my relief, my miserable companion opening the door to leave.

"Are you going to be o.k.?" I say as he steps out into the wide desert.

"Someone told me I could catch a bus here." He says. "You should come with me."

"I'm not turning back." I repeat.

"Remember to put it in park." He says shutting the door behind him.

I drive on arriving back in the same town I began the man's despair beginning to infecting me. I reach into the back seat pulling out my briefcase opening it to find my Polaroid for peace for hope that I would find Confidence, that I would find her. I search through finding it gone taken. I throw the briefcase in the backseat frustrated. I leave the car walking towards the bar. Maybe the man will be there. Maybe he'll have it. I go in finding the place empty deserted my hope diminishing further.

I walk out to find my car gone from its original place now down by the billboard. It starts up driving away down the road leaving me behind.

"That's my car!" I yell throwing off my black jacket flinging it out onto the ground in further frustration. I return to the bar, loosen my tie taking a seat on a stool.

Than myself found me.

He walks around me to the other side of the counter. He looks at me his eyebrow raised in confusion.

"How did you get back here?" He asks.

"I was just asking myself the same question." I reply giving him no answer to his question.

"You ran off in the other direction." He says making a quick motion outside with his head.

"No." I say. "That was another me."

He lets out a deep sigh."So how many of us are they?" He asks.

"Hard to say." I say my fingers laced together, shoulders slumped back. "So far three and counting."

"Thanks for your help." He says walking back around the counter to the entrance egger to end the conversation to move along.

"I need a ride." I say. "Just to the intersection.

As we drive along the road, the knowledge that his search would take him where he began I couldn't help but offer him discouragement.

"You looking for Confidence?" I asked knowingly.

"I might be." He says.

"It doesn't exist." I say. "Turn back now."

"I'm not turning back." He says.

I let out a short mocking laugh. "I'm not turning back." I mimic.

My eyes cut to the back seat. The briefcase, his briefcase lay there as mine had. I fidget in my seat reaching back slipping the Polaroid out of the briefcase from the spot I know I kept it in. The car stops at the intersection, I open the door to leave, to go into the wide unknown desert.

"Are you going to be o.k.?" He asks as I step outside.

"Someone told me I could catch a bus here." I say. "You should come with me."

"I'm not turning back." He repeats.

"Remember to put it in park." I warn shutting the door behind me.

He drives off leaving me to the desert. I wonder around holding the Polaroid up in my hand. Confidence, sunny skies, happy atmosphere, the picture shows an ideal place, a place that seems to be farther than before. I bring the Polaroid closer something catches my eye. Something, a dark figure, someone.

It hits me, all at once as I see a car coming along on the road. I run into the road waving my arms franticly, waving like a mad man. The driver hits the brakes sliding on so slightly seeming to almost hit me. I rushed to his side, opening the car door.

"Move." I say pushing him from the driver's seat.

I took the wheel as he moved onto the passenger's seat. "I almost ran you over!" He says his voice lined with irritation. "No you didn't." I quickly reply shutting the car door.

I start the car up turning sharply into the opposite lane racing down the empty road. A wide grin spreads onto my face as I felt his eyes linger on me.

"I can see myself." I exclaim, my fingers drumming on the wheel.

"So can I." He replies unable to take his eyes off me.

"If I look really hard I can see myself." I say excitement held in my voice. "I'm right there. This whole time I've been right there."

"Right where?" He asks. "Who are you?" He says slight hysteria taking over his voice. "Who are you!"

I look over my shoulder at him, a playful look, as he knows the answer to his question. My eyes return to the road. A small mad laugh escapes my lips. I pull into town knowing to stop at the bar. I reach into the back taking up my black briefcase.

"Are you sure you should be taking that?" He says as I fling open the door dashing out.

"You'll figure it all out." I say dashing through the road picking up my black jacket. I dash to the billboard, to where the mysterious man was, to where I couldn't see. I throw my jacket on holding up the Polaroid to the billboard. My grin stayed attached to my face as I read it. Welcome to Confidence the sunshine capital of the world.

I see a man from the corner of the billboard, standing holding up a picture in front of him. I pull out my camera press the button a photo coming from the front of the device. I shake the photo as a black Lexus rolls to my side. A man comes around opening the unlocked car shifting it's gear. He looks over at me unable to fully see me shrouded in the shadow of the billboard.

"Is this your car?" He yells out to me putting his hands away in his pockets.

I take a step closer to him.

"It's yours." I reply digging into my pocket throwing the keys over the car.

I watched him threw his briefcase into the back of the car. "Whatever you do don't turn back." I finish as he slides into the car.

I walk away, into the desert my destination found, my  mission yet to be completed. After a short distance I see her, seated on a suitcase waiting. She turns to look at me as I near, long curls veiling her eyes, red painted lips twisting into a smile.

"You found it."