The Preacher's Son by Brenda1257
Summary:

 photo efec6f85-8ac5-43a5-9b92-5e61b66f8772_zpsaaf14d2e.jpg" alt="Covefr" />

 

 

Having chosen modeling over ministry, Jeremy Ferguson had often felt his father's scorn and disapproval.  Now he was coming home to visit and bringing the love of his life, Aura Vanderleigh who happens to be black.  Growing up in South Carolina, Jeremy knows what his father's reaction will be even if he is a minister!

 

The Preacher's Son is an original work of fiction. Please do not copy or post this story to any other websites. Copyright 2009 BRAnderson

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: Original
Warnings: Racism
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 2681 Read: 128406 Published: July 31 2011 Updated: June 02 2014

1. Chapter 1 Facing Family by Brenda1257

2. Update on The Preacher's Son! by Brenda1257

3. Softcover approved for sale by Brenda1257

4. E Book by Brenda1257

5. Monthly Update by Brenda1257

6. Things are slow but steady! by Brenda1257

7. Contest Update! by Brenda1257

8. Chapter 8 Update! by Brenda1257

9. Chapter 9 We have Winners!!!! by Brenda1257

10. Chapter 10 Bewtiching Book Tours by Brenda1257

11. Chapter 11 Update! by Brenda1257

12. Chapter 12 by Brenda1257

Chapter 1 Facing Family by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Jeremy comes face to face with his father's racism. Can a minister overcome the prejudice he was brought up with when the son that he had speculated was gay brings home a black girlfriend?

 

Modeling

 

This story has been removed as it is being edited for publication.

Thank you for your support!

Update on The Preacher's Son! by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

 photo 8fe44961-87f6-42af-8540-8a692d8f4dd8_zps7c1406d4.jpg" alt="The Preacher's Son" />

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to give you an update on The Preacher's Son, my first published work.

The book is finished and I've included the cover for you guys to look at.

I wouldn't be to this point if it hadn't been for all of your support.

I originally wrote "The Preacher's Son" in  2009 and I remember that when I brought the story here to The Chamber, how quickly I was embraced by all of you.  I've never looked back and I consider all of you guys on The Chamber to be my extended family.

With that being said, I found a wealth of talent on this site and some of the best stories that I've ever read.  A lot of the writers are in school, getting degrees and I feel that the world should be reading their stories!

Even though I'm just beginning the journey and I haven't sold one copy yet, I want to reach back and help other writers on this site to realize their dream as you guys have inspired me to realize my own.

One thing I've learned in my journey is that professional editing and a professional cover for your book is just as important as the contents of the book itself. Professional editing is expensive, but worth every penny.  I had a great editor who polished my story and made it so much better.  The average cost of professional editing is two cents a word and more than that in a lot of places.

If you're a wordy person like myself, then that can get expensive and it's scary putting out money when you haven't sold a thing yet.

That's why I have decided to donate to The Chamber twenty percent of my net profits from this book towards helping upcoming writers realize their dream.  This money can be used to help pay for professional services.

I have talked to Jacci and I would like to have you guys imput on how to go about distributing the money. Prizes could be awarded quarterly for $300 to an unpublished writer here on the Chamber who met the guidelines that will be established.  I need you guys help on what those guidelines should be.

Now as I have said, I haven't earned a dime yet, but I am confident that with your support we can do this!

The Preacher's Son will be available for sale in about 10 days.  I need you guys support in order to realize my dream!

It will take an additional 6-8 weeks for the book to be available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, but I would prefer that you bought the book straight from my publisher LULU because the royalties would be greater!  Amazon and Barnes and Noble will take a big bite out of the bottom line if you purchase from them!

I will keep you posted on the release date.  I am so excited about this!  Not only because I'm publishing, but also because I'm going to help others to see their dream come true too!

I would like to get the rules of the contest done as soon as possible, so please give me (and Jacci) your imput on what those rules should be.  

If all goes well, I hope to be able to kick the contest off sometime early summer.  It all depends on how the book does, so please invest in me and in yourselves.  

The ebook will be $5.99, the softcover will be $18.99 and the hardcover $34.99.

Once I get my copies and give them the final approval to release it for sale, I will provide a link for you guys to purchase the book. 

Thanks again in advance for all your support!

Brenda

Softcover approved for sale by Brenda1257

Thank you so much for all your kind reviews!  It is very inspirational to me!

I am so excited about this and about this site!  You guys are the best.

I received the soft copy of the book yesterday and now I have reviewed it and approved it for sale.  

For some reason the link won't copy, but you can go to LULU.com website and it is the the bookstore.  "The Preacher's Son by B.D. Anderson"

EVERYTHING ON LULU IS 30% OFF SO NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO GET THE BOOK AT BELOW RETAIL PRICES!!!

 

I talked to Jacci yesterday and we will be working on the details of providing financial help for authors here to be published too, so please give your imput as we put this thing togerther.

Please spread the word and thanks again for investing in me and in turn investing in the wonderful and talented authors here on The Chamber.

I will keep you posted as to when the hardcopy and the ebook is ready for distribution so stay tuned.

Love you guys!

 

Brenda

E Book by Brenda1257

Great news!

The E book is now available for purchase at LULU.com.  The cost is $5.99.

I haven't sold that many copies of the paperback on line as of yet and I am hoping that the ebook takes off! Here is the link: 

http://www.lulu.com/shop/b-d-anderson/the-preachers-son/ebook/product-21358558.html

I really appreciate everyone who has bought a copy or plan on buying a copy of my book. 

If you want an autographed copy, email me at preacharomantic@gmail.com and we can work something out through Paypal and I'll send you a signed copy instead of you buying it from the website.

Thanks again for all of your continued support!

Brenda1257

End Notes:

Also, I'm in the process of updating Alfred. It should be up sometime today or tomorrow!

Monthly Update by Brenda1257

Greetings My Chamberbuddies!

 

Just wanted to thank you again for all your support.

 

The Preacher's Son has been released for about three weeks now and the sales and slow but steady.

 

Thanks to your support, we have close to $100 earmarked to help the authors here to realize their dream!

 

I have sold about 35 books myself and about 30 have sold online thus far.  That may not sound like a lot, but like I said, it's only been three weeks.

 

I will give you monthly updates as to where we stand.

 

In order to help the book along, please leave a review on Goodreads after you read it.  It's not on Amazon or B&N just yet, but it should be by the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb.  I will notify you when it is there and I will need you to leave a review on those sites also.  Pretty please!

 

Thanks again for all your support and God bless you all.

 

Brenda

Things are slow but steady! by Brenda1257

Hello my Chamberbuddies!

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update on what is going on!

The book is now available on Amazon, B&N and LULU!  I would appreciate it very much if you have read it to leave a review on Amazon! Thanks in advance.

I've sold about 50 copies on my own and about 40 copies online thus far.  I want to thank you guys so much for supporting me!  You are the best!

I have about $100 saved to be used to help Chamber authors.  It may not sound like much, but every little bit helps!  I'm still hyped!

I'm still not sure how exactly to distribute it, so if you have suggestions please let me know!

Even if I don't sell another copy, I'm pleased because I got to fulfill my lifelong dream of publishing my book.  I know that a lot of you out there have that same dream and I want to share this feeling of accomplishment with you.  We need to continue to support one another. 

I will keep you posted on "The Preacher's Son" progress and I'm looking for you guys to share ideas with me. 

I will be attending the PUBSMART Convention for Independent Authors in April and hope to learn more about the business!  I've never been to Charleston, SC so I hope it'll be a treat!

Of course, I'm still working on Regret for you guys and hopefully another chapter will be up in a week or so!

Thanks again for all of your support!

Contest Update! by Brenda1257

Hello Chambermates:

I hope you guys haven't felt that I've forgotten my promise of helping authors on here.  I have not!

The sales have been slow but steady and with Amazon (the biggest fish in the sea) they hold two months of revenues before they pay you a dime. So far the sales on the ebook on there is doing well.  I won't be getting anything from them until the end of April or the first part of May.

With that beng the case, I've decided to kick things off by auctioning off a paid book tour to one of the authors here who has already published, but wants some free advertising for their book!

If you have already published your book, or if you know someone who has published their work that they put here on The Chamber and you feel that they deserve to have that extra advertising push, please submit their name and the name of the story to me by responding right here in the review section of this story. 

I need to get this party started so please submit your vote by March 31, 2014.  Book tours take planning and the host of the tour needs a couple of months to work with the author on setting up the tour.

My hope is to be able to pay for a new unpublished author's work to be professionally edited.  I'm checking around on prices and it runs from two to four cents a word. *gasp* So once my book takes off and gives me good royalties, Ill be able to foot that bill and offer that contest.

In the meantime, the book tour is a great way to get a story out there!

Thanks again for all your support.  Just to clear up something I said earier: paper book sales should be made through Barnes & Noble or LuLU in order for me to get decent revenues.  Amazon sucks in that area.  However, Amazon does pay well for ebooks, but you just have to have two months of revenues in the hole before they pay you anything.  So feel free to tell folks to buy The Preacher's Son ebook from Amazon, but paper books from Barnes & Noble, or LULU. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys on the contest!

If you'd like to email me, please send to preacharomantic@gmail.com

Thanks!

 

 

Chapter 8 Update! by Brenda1257

Today is the last day to submit a published authors name for a free book tour.

Please submit your entry before 6 PM EST today, please!

Also, now is the time to submit names of yet unpublished authors and the story you'd like to see in print so that I can start working on that project.

What story would you like to see in print that you first read here on the Chamber?  Now is the time to let me know!

I want submissions for this by April 30 so that I can move forward.

Thanks to all who have submitted names for the free book tour. 

I will announce the winner sometime tomorrow.

Brenda

Chapter 9 We have Winners!!!! by Brenda1257

Greetings Chambermates!

Thanks to those who submitted names of authors they wished to see get a free book tour!

I'm happy to announce that we have THREE WINNERS.  There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize!

Currently I am working with the book tour site so I'll have to get back to you with the details, however the winners are as follows:

First Prize Winner:  Caddell Brown aka Madame Z

Second Prize Winner:  Noelle Vonham

Third Prize Winner:  I.T. Hardy aka Intellectual Titmouse

So...

There you have it.

The winners can email me at preacharomantic@gmail.com and I'll fill you in and keep you posted as the details are worked out.

Thanks again everyone!

Brenda1257

 

 

Chapter 10 Bewtiching Book Tours by Brenda1257

WE HAVE THREE WINNERS:

 

Bewitching Book Tours will be the host for the awesome book tour experience.

The names of the winners have been given to Rosxanne Rhodes who manages the site and she's expecting to hear from the winners to work with them on their individual tours!  

Email her soon because it takes time to plan a tour and you will need to give it a couple of months before it takes off!

 

The winners are:

 

First Prize:  Caddell Brown aka Madame Z

The Spellbound Special Tour

This is a $125 value and is a month long tour.  See the site for all the details

 

Second Prize:  Noelle Vonham

The Cast a Magic Spell Tour

This is a $75 value and  is a two week long tour.  See the site for all the details

 

Third Prize:  I.T. Hardy aka Intellectual Titmouse

Bewtiched Book Blitz Tour

This is a $45 value and is a week long tour.  See the site forr details.

 

Bewtiching Book tours website:   bewitchingbooktours.blogspot.com

 

Contact Roxanne Rhodes (via email) to claim your prize at:  roxannerhodes@bewitichingbooktours.com

Be sure to mention in your email that you are the winner of the tour sponsored by me on Valent Chamber!  

Thanks and I look forward to  hearing of your increased book sales!!!

Brenda

 

 

Chapter 11 Update! by Brenda1257

Just wanted you guys to know that I had a wonderful time in Charleston, SC at the PubSmart Conference.

There were a lot of unpublished authors there as well as well established authors such as CJ Lyons.

A lot of information was shared and if you have any publishing questions I will be happy to share what I've learned.  Email me at:  preacharomantic@gmail.com.

Also, I spent quality time with Orna Ross, a traditionally published writer, teacher and founder of the Alliance of Independent Authors.  She would love for more new authors to join the Alliance as they have valuable tools for those who are just starting out.  Here's the site:

http://allianceindependentauthors.org/

Even though some of you are not ready for publishing yet, there are many of you who are putting out quality stories that are much better than a lot of the junk being sold on Amazon for $2.99 a pop. 

There are people out there writing sub par work that is chapter length (3k words) full of errors and calling it a "novellette" and charging $2.99.  They end the story in a bad place and then tell you if you want the rest that you have to pay an additional $2.99 for the privilege. 

I can tell you that the readers are out there looking for quality work. 

While I haven't recooped all my investment in "The Preacher's Son", I'm about halfway there and I get emails everyday from people asking me when the sequel will be out.  Im telling you guys, the readers are out there!

I hope that more of you will consider publishing your work and getting you just due.  Contact me if you have any questions.

 

Brenda

 

Chapter 12 by Brenda1257

Hello Everyone!

I know that I haven't updated in a while.

I'm still in the midst of updating the sequel to this story and getting it ready for publishing.

I want you guys to know that I haven't forgotten my promise of helping others with a percentage of my revenues from this story.  The problem is that AMAZON has not been paying me what they owe me.

Yep.  That's right.  Amazon hasn't paid me a dime of royalties since March.  They say that they know they owe me but they don't know why they're not paying me.  (Makes sense to them but not to me)  They keep telling me that they're checking into it, blah blah, but still nothing.  It's been five weeks. They already make you wait two months before paying you revenues, and now this.

Anyway, I wanted to do something more for some lucky author, but right now things are on hold until I get this resolved.

Just keep me in prayer and keep putting out all those awesome stories that will take my mind off my own problems.  LOL

Brenda

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=1753