The Ace of Spades by cinnamonsugar
Summary:

Jonah Ace gets a bright idea and offers to tutor Chanel Birladeanu in AP Calculus one afternoon. But there's a catch; for two months, Chanel has to 'fake date'  Jonah. This deal will get Chanel the grade she needs and give Jonah the girl he yearns for and the popularity he can only dream about.

But this isn't so bad. A full school year of tutoring for only a two month relationship? Easy. Plus, Jonah Ace might just be a real hottie underneath his nerdy exterior.


Categories: Original Fiction, Books Characters: Original Character(s)
Classification: General
Genre: Comedy , Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: Original
Warnings: Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 8215 Read: 8326 Published: October 04 2014 Updated: October 04 2014
I by cinnamonsugar

I

 

Jonah Ace picked up his calculator and slid it back in the black case after finishing his last problem for his AP Calculus homework. “Bitch Alert.” He knew what that meant; the presence of Chanel Birladeanu. Jonah’s calculator was in mid-air as he was about to put it in its designated space in his backpack.

His eyes were glued to Chanel’s legs as they traveled from her shiny black Mary Jane’s, up her pristine white socks, up her thighs, up her pleated plaid skirt, continuing toward her crisp white button-down, where his eyes lingered on her ever-present chest. Beautiful. That was the only word that could be ascribed to Chanel. She was a definite ten if he rated women. His eyes finally sought out her face- the face of an angel. When he finally looked into her shining brown eyes, they made the eye contact he had always dreamed of. She had a pretty smirk on her glossy lips. Jonah almost smiled back when she looked away and went into the arms of one of her friends. They all giggled and after greeting each other, they kept walking.

"Eh. Eh. Hey, Jonah!" Jonah looked up to see his brother, Clive snapping in his face in order to get his attention. “Hey, stop fantasizing. She’s never going to notice you!”

Jonah swatted his hand away. “I’m not a dog, don’t snap at me. And, if you didn’t realize, we just made eye contact.”

Alicia, their friend snorted and shook her head. “Now you’re really dreaming.” She closed her binder and stuffed it in her backpack. “Now, let’s go get pizza, I’m famished.”

“We really did though…” He trailed off, putting his stuff away and following his best friends out of the sitting area. “And, you’re not famished, you just ate.” He mumbled as they went through the doors.

“Oh shut up, Jonah. You have to give me points for that vocabulary though right?” Alicia asked throwing an arm around his shoulder.

                Jonah playfully rolled his eyes with a smile on his face as they all piled into their cars, promising to meet at their favorite pizza parlor.

 

Chanel trotted around her mansion, making sure all of the help made sure they knew exactly what their jobs were. Tonight was her back to school party, and she needed it to be perfect. Senior year- her turn to throw the party, and since it was her classmate’s last back to school party to attend for the academy, she had to make it was the best. She made sure the caterers were set, that the flower company knew what color daisies to bring and the most important part- a DJ. Despite being in school for a month already, she decided to have it this late to prolong the suspense.

                Chanel’s phone rang in the back pocket of her jean capris. Taking it out, she tapped the call button and smiled while answering. “Hey Izzy, what’s up?” She said, gesturing to a maid to open the door. She watched the delivery men bring in the daisies. “To the garden, please.” She told them.

                “What’s going on?” Izzy asked through the phone.

                “The flower delivery just came. I’m so excited and anxious. This party has to be impeccable!” She sang, racing up to her room for the closet. “O-m-g, I still don’t know what I’m going to wear, like should I go basic, or should I dress fancy, like what?”

                Izzy laughed at her friend’s silly behavior. “Your invitations stated to dress casual, Chanel.”

                Chanel opened the door to her bedroom and closed it behind her. “Oh, I did, didn’t I?” She picked up the invitation from her vanity and examined it.

 

                Saturday, August 16

                9:45-?? ;)

                Attire: Casual

 

                “Oh, right.” She put it back on the surface and went to her closet. “I have the perfect outfit for this. Now that I think of it, I think I’ve had one planned for weeks!”

                “You have,” Izzy deadpanned. Sighing, she continued. “Anyway, I actually called to tell you that Heather and I are en route to your crib, keep the door open for us.”

Chanel smiled and opened her closet and began sorting through her clothes for her outfit. “Okay, I’ll see you when you get here then. Ciao!” She then hung up the phone and tossed it onto her bed. Disappearing back into her closet, she found some of what she was looking for; a pair of dark-wash skinny jeans.

“Chanel, we’re here!” She poked her head out of her closet to see her friends open her door and come in.

Michelle lifted her arms. “And we come bearing gifts.” She announced with a grin.

“Oh yes. You know I could not be caught dead eating at my own party. You guys know me so well.” Chanel took the bag that was being handed to her and plopped on the floor with her back against her vanity. A greasy burger was just what she was craving too.

 

Jonah was stretched across the booth in the gourmet pizza restaurant that his friends frequently visit. “What do you guys have planned for tonight?” He asked, taking a bit out of his third slice of pizza.

“Nothing much; while you were daydreaming about BCBB, Clive and I were thinking about a horror movie Saturday. You in?” Alicia answered, taking a sip of soda.

Jonah shook his head, declining her offer. Clive and Alicia looked at him with shocked expressions. This is the first time Jonah had ever backed out of a horror movie night. “No, guys, let’s do something different tonight.”

“Do something different?” Clive asked, sharing a puzzled look with Alicia. “And by different you mean…?”

Jonah took a deep breath before presenting his idea to his friends. “Chanel Birladeanu’s back to school party.”

Alicia almost spit her drink. Instead, she hurriedly swallowed it before bursting. “Jonah Ace, are you crazy?” She shouted, grabbing the attention of the other diners in the parlor. She blushed before taking herself down a notch. “Jonah, are you crazy? You want us to attend BCBB’s party?” She whispered.

Sitting up straight, Jonah nodded. “Yeah, but if you guys don’t want to go, I could just by myself.”

“That’s even worse.” Clive spoke up. “Just look: a bunch of losers showing up at Chanel Birladeanu’s party? We would never hear the end of that.”

Jonah shook his head. “Guys, how bad can it be? There’ll be what, over five-hundred people in her mansion? No one will even know we’re there.”

Alicia and Clive shared another look. “Fine,” Clive agreed. “We’ll go to the party, but we’re only going to prove that the party scene is not for us.”

 

Clive and Jonah didn’t spend much time changing their clothes, but Alicia went all ‘girl’ for the event. “Oh my gosh, what should I wear?” She actually came downstairs in the dress she wore for junior prom. “Is this too formal?” Clive and Jonah actually were on the floor laughing when she asked that.

“The invitation says casual, Alicia. Casual. What do you not understand?” Clive jabbed throwing the small folded cardstock at her. Alicia blushed and stormed upstairs to change her clothes.

“This is better, right?” She was wearing a pair of black high waisted shorts and a white v neck t-shirt tucked in.  With a pair of sneakers, she was ready to go finally. Alicia had thrown her hair into an artfully messy bun and did her make up.

“Much, now let’s go.” Jonah answered, jumping up from the couch.

“Easy there, tiger, the party doesn’t start until nine forty-five. We can get there at ten. Plus, she lives in this neighborhood and it’s only nine thirty.” Clive said, ushering his over eager friend to sit down. Clive actually couldn’t take his eyes off of Alicia as she disappeared into her kitchen to procure some drinks for them. She looked so different.

 

Chanel brushed on her final layer of maroon lipstick as the music began to reverberate around the house. Running her fingers through her burgundy hair, she slipped on her beanie and checked herself out in the mirror one last time. “Do I look okay, guys?” She turned to her friends and posed.

She was wearing a black beanie, a solid black crop top, her dark jeans, a black and gray plaid flannel wrapped around her waist, and a pair of black combat boots. “You are a ten, easily,” Izzy remarked, coming up to her and straightening her gold chain necklace. "Okay and what about me?” Chanel stepped back and looked her best friend up and down. She was wearing black leggings, a white crop top, and combat boots. The crop top showed off her belly button piercing, a short dangling diamond shaped ruby. Her waist length hair was pulled on top of her head in a tight and neat bun and he ears adorned a pair of ruby hoops.

                “You’re a definite ten point five!” Chanel said high fiving her best friend. “Now it's your turn, Michelle.” Izzy and Chanel turned their attention to Michelle, who posed for them while smirking. She already knew she was a ten, she didn’t see any reason for being rated tonight. “You cocky bitch!” Chanel reached over and playfully smacked Michelle’s arm. Michelle giggled and flipped her long hair over her shoulder. Michelle was wearing a pair of ripped light wash skinny jeans and a maroon crop top, fitting in with the central theme. Her long hair was bone straight and her right arm was stacked with gold bracelets.

The three of them stood in front of Chanel’s mirror and Izzy, in the middle, whipped out her cell phone and they posed as Izzy held up her arm and snapped a picture. “Send that to us.” Chanel requested before checking her appearance one more time and walking towards the door. “Are we ready?”

“Yes!” Michelle and Izzy said at the same time, following their friend as she locked the door behind them.

 

Jonah and his friends rolled up to the parking lot of Chanel’s mansion. Jonah paid for valet and they were allowed into the first party of the year. “So do we just walk in, or do we have to knock?” Clive asked, his fist inching toward the door.

“This is a party; do you really think they would be able to hear your knocking over that loud music?” Jonah asked him, his eyebrows rising as if he was talking to a child. “You just go in.”

Clive threw his hands up in surrender. “Hey, don’t get mad at me, I’m not experienced in this sort of thing.”

Alicia, tired of their bickering, reached through the brothers and opened the door. “O-m-f-g, now look how easy that was?” With a sarcastic smile on her face she pushed through them and walked into the party. It was 10:15; they were officially thirty minutes late. And this is okay, because that’s how the cool kids do it. “On second thought, Jonah, you can go in first.”

Jonah rolled his eyes and walked into the party. Pushing through people, he made his way to the less crowded place, Alicia clung onto Jonah’s black polo shirt, and Clive positioned his hands on Alicia’s hips. “Where exactly are we going, Jonah?”

“Just follow me.” He said, turning his head just a little bit in order to assure them. He led them to a corner that, as he predicted, wasn’t that crowded.

When there was no more danger of them being individually pulled into the crowd, Alicia smacked Clive’s hands off her hips. “Wow, Jonah, you lead us to where we usually are.” She exclaimed sarcastically, gesturing to the corner that they had backed themselves in.

“That's very funny, Alicia.” Clive deadpanned. “But hey! At least we’re by the drink table, right?” He tried to lighten the mood, sweeping his hand over the long wood table with a grey table runner from one end to the other. Clive picked up one of the acrylic cups. “Nice! It's hard plastic!" He took a swig out of his chosen cup, upset to find that it was just soda. “Okay, where’s the alcohol?” He asked turning and scanning his eyes across the labeled sections of the table. Alicia and Jonah shared a look before shaking their heads.

Jonah, against his better judgment, also searched for the alcoholic drinks.

SODA, LEMONADE, HARD ALCOHOL, LIGHT ALCOHOL, WATER.

Deciding to warm up, he grabbed a cup from the LIGHT ALCOHOL section and a cup of soda, which he was assuming was just cola. Mixing the two, he drank the cup. Although they were labeled as the anti-drinking losers, Alicia, Clive, and Jonah really knew how to hold their liquor. They often drank at each other’s houses while watching movies, playing card games, or just chilling.

“Is this seriously all we’re going to do, guys?” Alicia asked while grabbing herself a soda. “I mean, it’s obvious I’m the D-D, but are you guys just going to stand in the corner and drink?”

Jonah shrugged and reached for a cup of hard liquor. “I don’t know. As soon as you find something better to do, let’s do it.”

“Hey Alicia, let’s dance.” Clive proposed, reaching for her hand. Alicia grabbed it and shot him a smile. “Looks like you’re on your own, brother.” He remarked, shooting his brother a wink.

Jonah shook his head and watched them disappear in the sea of partygoers when he reached for his second drink. It was obvious that Clive liked Alicia, so why didn’t Alicia figure this out? She’s smart, she should know already. Clive always gets extra flirty and extra touchy whenever he drank, and she always thinks it’s because that’s just the way he is.

Jonah stood with one hand in his pocket, the other holding his drink and his eyes scanned the party. He was looking for Chanel. He wouldn’t talk to her. He just wanted to see her.

But, there’s this little thing called liquid courage.

 

Chanel separated from her friends and meandered through the crowds making sure that everyone was having a good time. Spotting a few people who weren’t enjoying themselves, she decided to leave them alone. If they weren’t having fun, they would surely find the drink tables on their own; she could tell it was those tight-wad people who needed some alcohol to loosen up. She checked the thermostat on the wall, making sure it wasn’t hot, turning the temperature down to sixty degrees. On her way back to finding her friends, she stopped by the drink table and grabbed herself a water bottle. She drained it and threw it in the recycle bin right next to the table. Noticing the lack of contents, she shook her head. Her maids were going to have a really bad time in the morning.

Chanel picked up another water bottle and emptied that one too. While finishing off the last drops and picking up a third, her eyes spotted something they didn’t want to see. Someone was standing in the corner with a drink in their hand!

They weren’t dancing or talking to anyone, they were just standing there with their back against the wall. Not at my party. Although she was a little upset, she couldn’t help but have to bite back a fit of giggles. The person was literally standing in the shadows just holding their drink. Chanel started walking right up to the person.

“Are you not having fun?” She asked while leaning on the wall and taking another sip of water.

The person stood up straight and looked down at her. When he recognized who she was, his eyes widened and he began to splutter out a reply. “Oh, um, uh, Ch-, uh, shit, uh, Chanel. Hi.” He smiled awkwardly.

“Hey there, stranger.” Chanel replied then placed a hand on his back and watched him finish his drink, ready to give him an encouraging push onto the dance floor.

As she did this though, he took it as a sign that she was welcoming something. He bent his six foot frame down and planted a kiss on her cheek. “I’m Jonah.” Chanel caught a whiff of Jonah’s breath and rolled her eyes. She passively wondered how many cups he had sipped on already, although, the feel of his lips on her cheek made her a little bit flustered, as she quickly thought of a response.

 

“And I’m totally caught off guard. Hey, Jonah, why don’t you go dance?” Jonah reached out to take her hand but she quickly snatched it back. “Alone.” As he gave her a pout- which she actually thought was kind of… cute? She watched him toss his cup in the recycle bin and disappear onto the dance floor. She took care of that freak. 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3109