Serenity's Flame by ladymonique_09
Summary:

 After escaping the terrors of human trafficking at 14 and the abuse of the adoption system at sixteen Serenity Hall dedicated her life to helping others trap the no good goons of the world, as a undercover C.I.A agent. Her work is dangerous but who ever said fun should be safe. While tracking down her latest target she runs into a bit of trouble that will change the world she knows forever. Shifters, secrets, lust and survival will leave you wanting more in this sensual adventure.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Erotica
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6938 Read: 9489 Published: April 22 2015 Updated: May 07 2015

1. Chapter 1 by ladymonique_09

2. Chapter 2 by ladymonique_09

3. Chapter 3 by ladymonique_09

Chapter 1 by ladymonique_09

“How many times do I have to tell you to keep that shit off my floor?” The man yelled.

He came at the child like a bat out of hell cranking his fist back to make contact with the girls face. Launching toward her he grabbed her hair and arm shoving her face toward the cluster of toys lying on the floor.

“I’m sorry! I just went to get a drink I promise I will pick it up!” The girl sobbed as she felt the bones in her arm begin to give. It was happening again, she was being punished.

Throwing the girl toward the wall the man made his way toward a cowering boy. His grey eyes became wide as the tears began to come in large drops down his almond colored face.

The girl rubbed the spot below her black hair smearing blood across her forehead. Pushing herself up from the crème carpet she held her dangling arm and ran toward the frightened boy.

“No I was the only one playing with the toys, he was napping I swear,” the girl bellowed as she planted herself in front of the boy becoming his shield. Her eyes lit up with defiance even as he lips quivered in fear.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. Being adopted was supposed to be a happy ending not the beginning of a never ending night mare. But ever since the services lady lessened her visits to check on them it’s only gotten worse. First the yelling came, throwing objects, until finally the beating began and they haven’t stopped.

“Did I ask your ass anything? Get back now!” He continued to approach and she knew what the result will be, more hospital visits, more lies, and more pain.

The man grabbed the buckle of his belt and began to advance on the small girl and boy while releasing the belt from around his waist. Folding it in half he reared his arm back to strike them both.

The girl hugged the boy wrapping her body around his shaking form as much as possible. When the first blow was delivered she cleared her mind from the screams and grunts around her and went to the place in her mind where no one could hurt her or her new found friend.

~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~

Jerking her body from the bed she awoke in a cold sweat. She hated having those dreams, nothing like a nice walk down memory lane to get your evening off to a great start.

Throwing the covers from her bed Serenity swung her legs over the side and stood to give her body a deep stretch. Walking toward the bathroom she focused on the knob and water began to flow. Sometimes her strange gifts came in handy Serenity thought while grabbing her toothbrush and placing toothpaste on the brush.

Serenity had always been different or gifted if you let her younger brother tell it. Controlling water was as natural, as essential to her as breathing. On her twenty first birthday her “gifts” began to be more free willed, the tear shaped birthmark on her right hip began to burn whenever there was danger around or her powers decided to protect her of their own free will.   . Emotions became dangerous and certain actions could whip out a playground, which was why she decided years ago to use her control over water fleetingly. Home was the only place she let her energy control the water around her, the only safe place to be herself.

Geez like she needed anymore loving memories today. Today was a big day, Serenity had been tracking down this piece of shit drug lord for the last two years and she finally felt she was coming close to the lead she needed to send his ass away on a nice long vacation, give or take fifty years. Spitting out the toothpaste and rinsing her mouth she made her way out of the bathroom to her mahogany desk.

Turning on the apple lab top she pulled the key hanging around her neck took the tip off and inserted the adapter into the computer. Pulling up the profile she was looking for she began to scroll. Scott Gores head of the top shrimping and fishing company here in New Orleans, Rio and Los Angeles, even after Katrina graced us with her presence his company still never went top side here. I guess that’s what you get when you’re also head of the world larges human trafficking ring with just a dash of cocaine pushing and weapon smuggling on the side.

Moving to Louisiana was actually a brilliant idea because who could blame the man who was always in the public eye, giving to charities, and had a perfect alibi for every disappearance, death, and overdose. After Living exclusively in Rio for the last 8 years he decided it was getting a bit boring having the U.S detective services always on his back about women going missing from his grand seasonal parties. He moved to New Orleans about two years ago and began putting money into charities and benefits for the rebuilding of New Orleans. The trafficking in Rio continued and since the Rio police was either employed by Scott or scared shitless there was not much help or leads for the U.S detectives to go off of.

So the cases were at a standstill until Serenity was called in. Being an undercover C.I.A agent has its benefits and since blending in and finding out what was needed is her specialty she was put on the case. All that’s left is finding proof and getting it to the United States so that this bastard and his family can go down for the years of crimes they have committed.

Serenity walked away from the lab top closing it with a bit more force than nessecery. Walking to her shower she stripped off her sleeping t-shirt and panties. Slipping under the spraying shower head she let the hot water flow over her body, a nice soothing shower was exactly what she needed to cleanse her soul, if only for a moment.

Hearing her phone ring she gave a loud groan. “Phone on,” she called to the automated house system.

“Were getting hot and heavy already I see, room for another love?” came a slight Scottish drawl over the ceiling intercoms.

“Oh please, not without a proper dinner cowboy, how cheap do u think I am,” Serenity replied sounding slightly flirtatious with her Cajun accent.

“Well I do have that rainy day fund if the offer stands.”

Turning the water off with a flick of her slender Serenity reached for a towel too dry off with wrapping it around her as she stepped out the shower.

“Better luck next time cowboy,” she chuckled. “So what’s on the menu for me tonight Red?”

“Oh you’re going to love me for this one. I have you set up on the invite list for a nice welcoming party in the big apple. Apparently papa Scott is bringing his son in on the New Orleans side of business, only the company is growing to that new little 16 story building that we have been monitoring. Now I’m not quite sure what that means for the Rio side of the company since both of the head honchos are now in different locations but I’m hacking everything that he owns with a server in order to find out why the big move. I sent the jet number and time of takeoff to your blackberry so make sure you check them.”

Pulling on jeans, a black long sleeve shirt, and boot Serenity reached for her blackberry. “Hmm four hours until take off  huh, I think I can make that work.” Going to her closet she went to the back reaching near the last floor board to the right and placed her finger over the invisible ID scanner. After hearing a click she lifted the compartment that opened and pulled out a small travel bag and backpack. Closing the compartment she reached inside the backpack giving all her favorite boys a complete weapons check, once she was satisfied with the cloths and weapons she left the closet.

“Red, now tell me my favorite tech genius didn’t forget to send me any information on the son.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere my lady, I have already sent the full file to you blackberry including the police’s files even though they are inconclusive.”

“You’re an angle doll,” she replied.

Going to the lab top Serenity pulled out the key and replaced it around her neck. Grabbing her bag, keys and leather jacket she headed to the garage. 

“I will contact you after I read over the file, until then toddles.”

“Your wish is my command,” Red answered with a bit of a chuckle.

“Phone off.”  With her with her jacket on and backpack on her back she placed the overnight bag on the back of the all black Ducati motorcycle securing it with the travel straps. Placing the full faced helmet on her head she sat on the bike and started it up.

“Garage open.” Pushing off she accelerated into the afternoon sun.

 “Garage closed.” This was going to be the make it or break it for her case. Scott thought he knew what was after him, but hell hath have no wrath like a pissed of ex abused foster kid turned C.I.A agent.

~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~

Shit!

She was going to get herself killed one of these days and then it would be his ass. Standing across the street from her house the stranger looked like any other friendly neighbor walking his dog, if only they knew.

Checking his phone he looked at the encrypted files that were being hacked and sent to his phone from her blackberry server.

A smirk came over his face as he opened the file. She thought she was the only one with tricks, but when trying to keep tabs on her you have to learn a few things along the way “So our little nymph is about to play with fire I see.”

What do you propose we do?

Looking into the dogs silver eyes, if a 4 ½ foot wolf could be called a dog, he replied to his question. “Looks like we’re headed to a party in New York buddy, fasten your seatbelts because I have a feeling this will be a bumpy ride.”

I feared you would say that, Eric do you really think it’s best to reveal ourselves to her this soon in her time.

Eric sighed, he wished there was more time or a way to break it delicately to her but in all truths he feared there was no other way and time was fast running out for them.

“No but our choice of time was robbed from us years ago. It’s her 26th year and it’s time for the prophecy to come to pass if this planet will have any chance of survival.

Understood I will return home and put the plan in motion. I assume you will be protecting her this trip?

“You assume correct my friend.”

 strength be with you.

“Same to you my brother, I will be in contact.” Releasing the leash he allowed the wolf to walk away into the darkness of the New Orleans streets.

Looking to the sky he imagined his spirit animal taking over, launching into the air he spread the wings of the large eagle following in the direction that Serenity took. 

Chapter 2 by ladymonique_09

          Serenity came to a slow roll as she pulled her bike up to the walk up apartments on Bourbon Street. Why anyone would want to live in the heart of the party city was beyond her but since she didn’t stay here longer than an hour or two she never complained. Parking on the curb she grabbed her bags, kicked her kick stand out and headed toward the fourth floor.

            The spiral staircase was horribly decorated with red carpet and chipped white paint; if walls could talk they were guaranteed to whisper of drunken flings and sweaty flesh. Reaching the fourth floor she made her way down the red carpeted hall, came to the door she was looking for and gave it a quick knock. Once the door flew open she was staring at a 6’2” Adonis, dark golden hair fell just to his shoulders and his green eyes could rival the rarest of emeralds. Well-muscled arms held her encased tightly to a naked six packed abs and a rock hard chest, as he grabbed her from the welcome mat spinning her into the apartment.

 “I figured I wouldn’t see you again for a while since I got a text about you going away for work,” He announced with a deep English accent.

            “I decided to break a few of my rules and come to see you before I left.” 

            He released her from the bear hug giving her room to enter further into the apartment closing the door behind her.

            “Mmmmm is that homemade chili I smell Jacob?” She groaned as her eyes closed to savor the smell.

            “Sure is, thought I was going to have to keep myself warm for a few evenings so chili was the next best thing.” His grey Nike sweat pants and lack of shirt was proof of how little plans he had for the night.

            Bending to place her bags onto the floor and pull her boots from her feet she was shocked when she felt something hard press against her back side. As she straightened she lifted her hands to the arms circling her mid-section. “I don’t have much time; I just wanted to make sure you were alright before I left.” She sighed as his lips began a gentle nibble to her neck.

            “Then let’s not do a half assed job of  it, I believe a thorough inspection is due,” Jacob moaned into her ear.

            Grinding his hips against her ass he began to move her toward the bed room. Spinning her around his lips planted onto hers thrusting his tongue inside her mouth beginning the play that would set her on fire. Jeremy knew what she liked, what she craved, they had been lovers for two years, and nothing more, due to her lack of trust of people and the danger her life lead. But with him it was more due to her caring for him so much that she couldn’t face anything happening to him because of her chosen career. Attachment caused slip ups and slip up caused death she could afford neither one.

            Gripping her shoulders he slid the black leather jacket from her letting it fall to the floor as they passed the small glass coffee table and black lamp placed on top of it. The shirt was next as it fell to the carpet forgotten.

            “I don’t think I can make it to the bedroom,” she moaned as she began to work his sweats from his hips while he snapped her bra and snatched it from her body. Just the look of his aroused cock made her mouth water in anticipation and her pussy drip with excitement.

            “Don’t worry baby, I never intended to.” His body was on fire and the only thing he could think of was burying himself deep inside her while he made her scream in pleasure.

            Unbuttoning her jeans he let go of her lips just long enough to slide them off one leg. Posting her up against the wall he made his way down her body. Her breasts were not overly large by any means but they were perfect for his mouth, and he made sure he showed her just how perfect.

            Taking the right nipple into his mouth he gave a deep suckle then a spiraling lick as the bud became erect just the way he liked it. Giving the bud a slight bite he groaned in the pleasure her body gave him. Moaning she pressed her body closer to his mouth as his hand took possession of the left nipple readying it for his greedy mouth. Switching nipples he sent his hands on a journey to rid her luscious 5’4 frame of the thong covering her wet pussy, he couldn’t get enough of her and he had to have the taste of her in his mouth now.  

            Her moans were driving him crazy, the soft sighs she made as his hands and tongue gave her what she wanted made his cock throb with anticipation. Leaving her budding nipples he made his way to her waiting heat loving how wet she got for him.

“Please Jacob,” she sighed looking down at his with half open bed room eyes.

That was all her needed to hear. “Hold on baby, I’ve got you.” Lifting first one leg then the other over his shoulders he leaned her back against the wall to give her support. Diving into all those waiting juices with his tongue was the only thing he could think about as she began to scream from the torturous slow swirl of his tongue.

Grinding her hips against his mouth as he stroked her clit with a demanding motion, then plunging into her was more then she could take. “Please Jacob I can’t take this,” she screamed as the pleasure began to build in her midsection, grabbing his hair to have some type of anchor to reality. His knew no bounds to the torture he gave as his tongue plunged into the tight depth of her drenched opening.

“Yes you can, just a bit more then you can cum for me,” he moaned as he continued his ravishment.

He stood true to his word, her body began to rise and the heat built like a never ending inferno only when her head was tossing back and forth against the wall and she was making the delicious moaning sounds that he loved to hear did her give her release. Her body exploded, hips grinding against him as she saw white stars come across her eyes. As she slowly came down from her climax he gave her clit one last lick making sure nothing lasted of her orgasm.

Licking his lips he released her legs from his shoulders, holding her to give her support. Moving back to her waiting lips he kissed her like this would be the last time her ever saw her.

Lifting both her legs around her waist he plunged into her in on smooth movement, taking her, holding her, giving her every emotion he knew she didn’t want to hear from his mouth through his body.

“Fuck, baby!” He groaned feeling he nails begin to rake across his back as her legs tightened around his waist to bury him to the hilt. Jacob pounded into her making her head roll back and his cock weep with anticipation to cum.

“Oh God Jacob, please, please let me cum.” He was playing with her toying with her body to make it last.

Lowering her head to her nipples he gave them both the attention they deserved before widening his stance and deepening his stroke. “Come for me baby, fuck yes you’re so hot and tight.

Her body shattered burying her hands into his hair as his mouth sucked at her breasts and his hips plunged his cock into her welcoming sheaths. She screamed, screamed for whatever sex god brought this man into her life to make her body shake in completion.

Jacob pumped faster into her as he felt her body come apart around his hearing his name on her lips. His release was one like he had never felt before, the earth rocked beneath his feet as he gave a growl when his lips took possession of hers as she took all his essence into her body.

Breathing deeply when his lips released hers she held him in her arms never wanting to let go, Jacob made her feel wanted, needed when no one in this world had needed her except her brother. Laying her head on his shoulder she gave a sigh of contentment.

“Are you okay, did I hurt you?”

He was always so caring, always putting her wants and needs above his. That’s exactly why their relationship could go no further then mind blowing sex, she would care for him and if allowed fall in love with him, and in the end he would end up like Andrew. Poor, sweet, innocent Andrew.

“No, you were perfect.”

Pulling his body from hers Jacob looked  into her grey eyes letting her legs slid to the ground holding her in case her legs were not up to it yet. Then slowly he kissed her again, because he had to, because he could see the pain in her eyes she tries to hide from him.

Smiling he avoided the subject since he knew it would only bring up an argument that he didn’t want to have. “So darling, ready for a bit of that chili I have a great selection of movies to go along with it,” he said wiggling his eyebrows in a way that always made her laugh.

Smiling she gave him a peck on the mouth, “I would love to but I have to be at the airport in two hours. A shower would be nice though.”

“Alone, or am I invited?” He growled pushing her toward the wall again.

“Yes alone or I will never make my flight,” she said on a giggle side swiping him to avoid the wall.

“Fine, I will make you a bowl of chili to go. American airplane food can be downright ghastly.”

“Thank you,” she called over her shoulder as she headed toward the bathroom.

“You keep shaking that tight little arse that way and you might miss you flight anyway.”

She laughed when she closed the door knowing she was intentionally teasing him. Starting the water Serenity stepped directly into it not waiting for it to get hot. Jacob was making her chili in a bowl to take with her as he usually did when she went away. He didn’t know that she was flying by private jet not commercial, and as long as it was up to her he would never know. She tried to keep him as far away from her job as possible, he knew what she wanted him to know. She was a C.I.A agent who works with trafficking, he thought she was a paper pusher with the occasional travel to other offices to collaborate important information face to face, he had no idea how deep she went or how dangerous being with her could be. Maybe if he knew he would stop asking, stop trying to romance her into falling in love with him and trying to convince her that staying with him on a more permanent basis was a good idea.

After finishing a quick shower Serenity walked to the living room with a white fluffy town wrapped around her body. Reaching to grab her earlier discarded cloths she began to dress.

“So where to now, love?” Jacob asked as he came around the kitchen counter holding a glade bowl full of chili.

Placing her jacket on, she hugged him as he came into her arms. “New York, for no more than a few days hopefully.”

“You should leave your hair down, I like it that way,” Jacob said rubbing his free hand through the back of the dark waist length curls.

Withdrawing from his arms she looked away from his eyes. His eyes seemed to see too much into her like orbs into her soul. Pulling her hair into a ponytail she replied, “Yes well, I will be working and it doesn’t exactly inspire respect looking like a Barbie in my line of work Jacob.”

Sighing he gave his hair an agitated rub through, “Look I didn’t mean that I was just saying it looks nice that way. Let’s not start an argument like you do every time you leave. How about for once you be a normal girlfriend and say “I will miss you”.”

Grabbing her bags she headed toward the door with Jacob hot on her tail. Turning to him she took the bowl from his hand and finally looked into his eyes, now that she had her emotions under control. She was going miss him like a broken bird missed flying but she couldn’t tell him that and that is what hurt the most.

After giving him a soft kiss, a kiss that said all she couldn’t out loud she answered him, “Because I’m not your girlfriend.” Turning before he could reply she opened the door and headed back to her Ducati waiting on the street. Emotion was a weakness she couldn’t afford and one she feared she would succumb to if she didn’t fine the strength to leave Jacob.

Chapter 3 by ladymonique_09

 

Shit she was going to be late. Serenity mentally kicked herself, she knew she shouldn’t have made that last stop but as she passed his street to head towards the private air strip the C.I.A used she knew she couldn’t help herself. Jacob was becoming a problem, the job she does is not just for her but also for the people around the world who needed her, they needed her not Jacob. She was going to have to have a talk with him about their relationship, or lack of one, and explain that this can’t go on. He would argue, she knew he would but she was doing what was best for him and her heart.

Pulling up to the air strip Serenity pulled her helmet from her head and shook out her hair. She put it up just to defy Jacob when she knew he was right, her hair was one of the few things that she loved about her appearance. Parking her bike near the running jet she grabbed her things and made her way toward the waiting flight attendant.

“You’re looking simply lovely today Ms. Hall,” complimented the slouched over attendant as he relieved the bags from her hands.

“Thank you Stewart. How is Ally doing?”

“Much better actually, she told me to tell you thank you for the blueberry muffin basket you know there her favorite.”

“No problem, you know you and Ally are like family to me if there is anything you need all you have to do is ask,” Serenity replied with a smile patting Stewart on the shoulder. Stewart and his wife were one of the few people she trusted with her life, considering they have both saved it a few times it was trust well earned. Never doubt the 63 year old half retired agent, his appearance may be feeble but he was nothing close. He and his wife were the best snipers the C.I.A had to offer before they went into hiding after a mission gone wrong in Russia. After returning to the United States five years after their disappearance they established new names, social security numbers, and identities since they had been pronounced dead years before by the C.I.A. Working as simple escorts were their occupations now, with a side of the occasional mission when their expertise were needed.

Leaving Stewart to handle her luggage she made her way up the stairs to the inside of the plane. Looking up she came to a screeching halt.

“Red?”

“At your service darling,” Red answered giving her a sly wink, that Scottish accent coming out on his flirtatious mouth.

Placing her backpack in the cream colored leather seat next to her own she pulled out her black berry and inserted the end of her key neck less into it.

“So to what do I owe the honor of your acquaintance in person?” Serenity asked as she took her seat across from Red.

“Thought I’d do a little recon for myself while we were in the area, Mr. Gores has a new tech wizard behind his desk I just know it.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“The codes are getting more complicated, the last tech they had was an idiot trying to work above his pay grade and I’m pretty sure Gores figured that out since I place a little experimental bug in all their old encrypted files. This tech is a fucking genius, the codes and deciphers his is using is something I had to recreate myself just to hack them, he’s good but not that good. I think it would be easier to crack if I got to know him better, but in all honesty finding someone who can possibly outwit you is a bit of a turn for me.”

Serenity almost smiled, the look in his eyes was like a virgin in a sex store. No one she knew talked about computer hacking or system decoding like the caress of a lover except for Red. If you could over run one of his home made programs or access his computer data base system you would probably make him climax in his pants.

“Only you would think that way my little sick tech,” Serenity said on a chuckle. Red thought he had her fooled but she knew what this was. Either this mission is way more complicated than the boss man is letting her know thinking she may drop out, or it’s already shot to shit and they want to see if she can repair the damage and still get the information. All in a day’s work for Serenity Hall, there’s a reason she has climbed the totem pole and gain security clearances that even the Secretary of state couldn’t access. She’s the best at what she does, in that she has no doubt, but why they were trying to hide any information from her was another question all together.

Red had been her tech wizard or “lucky charm” as she called him, since she joined the secret sector of the C.I.A five years ago. He has never hidden anything from her and was usually on her side about her operation decisions, unless he thought they were reckless. She trusted him with her life on more than one occasion.

Looking up at Red she studied him, his red hair was a bit shorter than usual but still hung below the ears. Green eyes and dimples that could kill gave his chiseled face a boyish appeal. He had to be a runner because at 6’1” he didn’t have an ounce of body fat on him, his button down sax avenue shirt was of the finest French silk and his black slacks left little to the imagination. He was downright sexy and no one could say any different. Serenity always though it was strange that he decided to train behind the scene instead of in them, but when she asked he simply gave her a thoughtless shrug telling her, “I would rather caress a key board and crack some clues then pretend to let someone caress me then have to crack their skull in private.” She understood that, but head cracking was her specialty so in the field was a lover’s dream comes true for her.

Snapping her seat belt on Serenity gave him a glare.

“Since having a partner is not my thing how about we cut the shit and you tell me why the boss man decided I needed you in person on this one, I figured it was a simple dinner with a recon, what don’t I know.”

Looking up from the computer screen that sat open on his lap Red gave her a sigh. “Boss thinks this might be a big one, he knows how involved you are in this case and just wanted to give you some extra back up is all.”

“I have never needed back up and I don’t plan to make it a habit now Red.”

“You might on this little journey.”

Now she was confused, Red knew how logical she was about everything so he knew she would do anything stupid to endanger herself if she could help it.

“Could you cut the cryptic act and tell me what’s going on, if there is more to this then I need to know before I go into the belly of the beast,” Serenity said as calmly as she could muster. Going into a mission with half information was a suicide mission that Serenity didn’t intend to take on.
            Red smile as the flight attendant brought him a bottle of cold water and left it with a flirtatious look. As she walked off to begin the take of procedures Serenity buckled up and waited for Red to answer her question.

Looking her in the eye his smile dropped, “ Okay lass, because of the genera of the case the boss thought you may be too personally linked to the case so he sent me to make sure that everything flows as planned. He also heard whispers that Gores may be trying to join the ‘Candyland’ operation.

Serenity’s blood instantly ran cold as the name left Red’s lips. Candyland was the place that held her in captivation and sold her around the world for the age of 8 to 14 until she was given the chance to escape. It was the root of every nightmare she has ever had in her life and the reason she was in her career field, she couldn’t stand by and watch as other helpless girls went through what she endured for years.

“How did she find out this information,” she asked keeping all emotion from blanketing her face.

“The last agent had it in the paperwork but it was taken out until it was confirmed with a digital satellite picture that showed Gores and a Candyland associate having meetings before he came to New Orleans,” Red explained looking at her as if she were a frightened deer ready to leap.

Pulling his computer from the black backpack in front of his seat Red sat it across the make shift desk that pulled from the arm. An instant later Serenity’s blackberry beeped to indicate a message, opening the file everything inside her went cold as she saw a woman standing next to Gores laughing as if a joke was being told.

Taking a deep breath to calm the sudden feeling of dread that rushed through her body Serenity nodded her head at the picture, “It was really fucked up that I wasn’t told all the information for this case considering it’s my ass on the line and not any of theirs. Nothing’s changed I’m going to complete this mission as promised.”

Red’s eyes lit with mischief as he stared at her across from him, “The thought never crossed my mind that you would, that would be the supposed powers that be who held all that worry.”

Even with this latest development her bosses should have known that she would never abandon a case. Her boss Stephanie Stone and Red were the only ones who knew about her past besides the people on the hill who had her file. Something else was going on and she knew Red didn’t know because he would have told her, they don’t keep secrets that’s how you lose trust in your team members and in this job lack of trust could mean your life.

Before she was able to point out her thoughts to Red her blackberry rang, releasing her key neckless and placing it around her neck she answered her phone.

“Hey, what a pleasant surprise I don’t usually get calls this early in the morning from you everything okay.”

“Yes everything is fine just checking on you, might not have time to call later my meetings are slammed today,” replied a deep voice from the other end.

“Don’t you dare become one of those people whose calls get less and less until they finally disappear from the face of the Earth and my call log,” Serenity joked.

With a laugh the voice announced, “Well you’ll be glad to know that you can’t get rid of your little brother that easy sis.”

Serenity chuckled as she thought of the face he was for sure making as he said that. Even though Xavier wasn’t her biological brother she loved him as if they had the same blood flowing through their veins. They had survived the hell of foster care together when she was thrown in to the system. Their foster father was a dick and abuser, his wife was the only solace they were given when he wasn’t around but even she was too afraid of her husband’s heavy hand to physically help them when his fists came at them throughout the day. For two years they endured his abuse, shit talking, and the hospital visits to fix broken bones from their “falls down stairs or tripping”. Until one faithful night when he came home smelling of more than the usual liquor, he made a beeline to a sleeping Serenity’s room and attempted to molest her. When Xavier heard her struggles in the bed on the other side of the room he came to give aid and get the brute off of her as he tried to pry her legs apart and pull on her pajama bottoms. Even though he was 4 years younger than her his bravery was all she needed to get her knee to make contact with her foster father’s balls and roll from underneath him.

It was one of the worse nights she had ever had in foster care, beatings were one thing but she couldn’t take being forced into doing anything sexual that was a nightmare she would never relive. When her foster father was able to move from his ball of pain on the floor he came at this like a lion on a hunt. Gripping Serenity by her hair he commenced punching her anywhere he could get as she tried her best to block each painful blow. Xavier charged at him knocking him off balance and releasing his grip on Serenity’s long dark curls. They took the worst beating of their lives that night, eventually their foster mother mustered up the courage to call the police.

When they arrived they found a bloody and bruised Serenity with a broken arm, Xavier was laying across her lap half-conscious with a mangled leg from the knee down and plenty of bruises, an unconscious foster father splayed across the kitchen floor with multiple contusions, a bloody head, and knife wound, and a very dead foster mother. She knew not to step in when he was on his rampage but sacrificed herself to give the children a chance to make it until the cops arrived.

That night was the last night they spent in foster care, and the night they promised to be family forever. Xavier’s leg was amputated that night below then knee and he was given a prosthetic. Even though he could have given up he never let it affect the joys he took from life, he finished number one in his class at Columbia and is now one of the best defense attorneys in Chicago with his own firm. Guess you can say they both decided to help others just in different ways.

“So when can I expect to see my sister again, I’m starting to forget what you look like?”

With the work load for this case she hasn’t had time to visit her brother. Every 2 months they take turns visiting each other for a week at a time, their family no matter how small was important to them and they didn’t want to be those siblings who only see each other on holidays.

“Sorry I know this was my trip this time, but with this work load for this case I just haven’t had time,” she answered.

Xavier’s voice was serious as he spoke, “Are you alright? You know if your job ever becomes too much you can come work for me.”

She smiled, even being the younger sibling he was always watching out for her.

“Yeah right and have to call you my boss all day.”

“You know you own 50% of our firm, we would be partners,” said Xavier.

She knew that but she liked teasing him anyway. Serenity acquired a degree from Columbia in law as well, but arguing in a court room was not making enough of a difference for her, she wanted to see people liberated from the bonds that they were forced into and she wanted to be there to see them go down personally that’s why she joined the C.I.A.

“No I’m fine promise, just a heavy case but I promise I will make it up to you soon.”

“Okay if you say so, but you know that you can call me for anything. I have to go my assistant is flagging me, I love you call you later.”

“Love you too,” Serenity said taking the phone from her face and ending the call.

During her conversation the plane had taken off and was headed to New York. Glancing at Red she noticed that he was fast asleep, guess she’ll have to tell him about her suspicions about the case once they land. Reaching inside her backpack she pulled out her head phones and attached them to the socket in her phone, might as well get some rest before her performance for Mr. Gores. Closing her eyes Serenity prayed that her dreams were more pleasant this time around.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3266