Hello Heart by midnightlove
Summary:

They were a "missed connection" in High School. What happens when Jayden and Dean reconnect as adults?


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Drama
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 16228 Read: 12613 Published: March 19 2016 Updated: June 24 2016
Story Notes:

This story is mine. I've published it on Wattpad under the penname shneay_kid. I've decided to bring it to the chamber for a more mature audience and less censorship. Happy reading!

1. Reunion by midnightlove

2. Lumiere by midnightlove

3. Just Friends by midnightlove

Reunion by midnightlove
Author's Notes:

Meet the gang.

Published
5140 Words

Reunion

Kennel Corp - Conference Room A

The sound of applause always did pump Jayden's ego. There, in a large conference room of Kennel Corps, she felt mighty proud of herself as she clasped her hands together and executed a small curtsy. Quietly, she closed her laptop along with the PowerPoint and made her way back to her seat. She slid into the large, black leather seat and reclined a bit, enjoying the soft cushion and the molding sensation.

"Excellent presentation, Ms. McDaniel! Wouldn't you say gentlemen?" There were soft murmurs of agreement.

Jayden offered a warm smile to whomever she could make eye contact with. That's what this was all about: playing the game. She'd come in that morning, the perfect picture of success. With her golden dusted locks piled high above her head, she wore her pearl set atop a form fitting black dress with reached her knees. Naturally, the dress was covered with an off white cardigan from J. Crew. Because she'd spent so much money on it, she only wore it for special occasions such as this. Her shoes were the most risque her ensemble had gotten; they were Steve Madden pumps, all black with cream colored lining and a bow at the back of her heel. All business with a dash of sexy, she'd thought. Not that any of those stuffy white men would notice anyhow.

"We've been reviewing your project for quite some time now, Ms. McDaniel and were preparing to give you an offer. Your presentation today just reassured us, all the more, that our investment in the Lumiere will be a great asset to Kennel Corp." The thin white man with the booming voice was none other than Jonathan Kennel himself, the founder and CEO of Kennel Corporations. Well into his late sixties, the man had aged well. He stood at 6'2, fit with crystal blue eyes and a full head of silvery white hair. He reminded Jayden of a taller, older version of Anderson Cooper. She was impressed. Her previous meetings at Kennel Corp had been with various VPs within the business. Jonathan had attended the last meeting via telephone conference and that's when she'd first heard his voice.

"Thank you, sir."

"No, thank you. Now let's make this official. I have the paper work right in front of me. All it takes is a couple of signatures and we can issue you a fifty thousand dollar check for starters." That was more than enough. Jayden beamed on the inside.

"Now come up here and stand beside me."

A man in a dark t-shirt and jeans moved to stand near the front of the room. Jayden, caught up in the moment of her presentation, had not noticed the man's attire sticking out like a sore thumb. Well not really, the black t-shirt had helped a lot. Around his neck dangled a large camera which he hoisted to his face, at the ready. As she moved to stand beside Jonathan, he held out an expensive looking ball point pen that he'd taken from the breast pocket of his suit. Click.

"Here you are, my dear." Jayden bent over to sign.

"Now, I'll have you gentleman know that this fine young woman is not only a graduate of Princeton University, but of the prestigious Jefferson School, my alma mater." More murmurs of approval. "I'm sure she was a far better student than I was." He let out a hearty laugh and touched Jayden's shoulder lightly as she stood upright. Click. "She went to school with Dean - my boy." He took the pen from Jayden's hand and quickly signed in his designated areas. Jayden frowned a little. Dean. She remembered his son alright. He'd been a real douche bag in high school.

Jayden quickly dismissed the thought, opting for a blank mind and wide smile. Her cheeks were beginning to hurt.

"Ahh, now that that's done. Let's have a toast shall we?" On cue, a secretary whisked into the conference room with a tray full of sparkling flukes of champagne. Click. The pretty blonde balanced the tray on one hand with the grace of a waitress. The secretary reached Jayden and offered her a glass, but she held up a small hand politely feigning modesty, "No, no thank you. I shouldn't." In truth, Jayden could drink like a fish, but this was business. "Business Jayden" didn't drink on the job. She was focused.

"Course you should! Don't be shy!" Jonathan bellowed behind her. "Unless you don't drink, of course."

"I do, it's just that..."

"Come on!" Other suits joined in the encouragement.

Jayden "gave in" and smiled brightly, gushing "aw, what the heck?" She grabbed a fluke and the men in the conference room cheered.  Click, Click, Click.

Why did she feel like she was at a bar, after work, during happy hour? She chuckled to herself. Judging by the comfortable way Jonathan Kennel moved around his employees, she decided that she liked him even more. After everyone had finished their glass or two of champagne, it was assumed that the meeting turned office party was over. Men began to excuse themselves from the room, shaking Jayden's hand firmly on their way out. She liked that. Respect. As the last male, the camera man, in fact, exited the glass doors to the conference room, Jayden returned to her seat and began to gather her things.

"Thank you again, Mr. Kennel. On behalf of my partner, Marisol Fuerte we give you our heartfelt thanks."

"Call me, Jonathan and it was my pleasure. We need to support more programs like yours. Besides, I'm always happy to help fellow alum. It's a shame you didn't get to see Dean today. The boy's always running late for something. But you will see him soon. In fact, I'm assigning him to oversee the new changes we discussed for the program." Oversee? Jayden cringed inside.

"Oh? I wasn't aware that we'd need a... supervisor." He laughed in waves again, sapphire eyes crinkling.

"No, no, nothing like that. It's standard procedure in the beginnings of any partnership with a new organization or company. We send one of our guys in who'll send back extensive reports which we'll put on record."  

"How long will he...Dean...be around...overseeing?" Jayden tried to mask the wariness in her voice. She wasn't sure how well she did.

"Three months minimal, but it all depends on what the reports say. Is there a problem?" Jonathan straightened up. His hands made smooth lines over the front of his suit.

"No problem. I was just wondering. Thanks." Jayden went over to shake his hand. He startled her by pulling her into a light hug.

"Good luck young lady. It's so good to see a Jeff doing so well." Jeffs, that's what Jefferson students were called. Boy, he must have loved the Jefferson School. She smiled as she pulled away and began to walk out through the glass doors.

Her smile dimmed at the thought of the Jefferson school. Despite what her classmates had thought of Jayden's experience, her stint at the predominantly white boarding school had been far from ideal. She cringed as several memories accosted her. She shook her head, rounding the corner and walking down the corridor towards the secretary's kiosk. She'd done her job. She'd played the part and accordingly, she'd gotten money for her kids. She should be happy.

 

Kennel Corp - Office Hallway

Crap. He was late again. His father was going to kill him this time. He could feel it, for sure. He rushed into the elevator, which was thankfully vacant. He stared at his reflection in the stainless steel doors, smoothed over his wind tossed hair and fixed his tie. As soon as the doors opened, he flew past the secretary's kiosk, barely saying hello to...Barbara? Was that her name? Whatever. He thought he'd nearly knocked over a woman coming down the hall, but she seemed un-phased. Dean muttered a "sorry" but he doubted she'd heard it.

His brief jog came to an abrupt end as he rounded the corner for he knew that he would soon encounter the glass doors to the conference rooms. He didn't want anyone to see him so flustered. Instead, he entered a slow, casual gait. He strolled up to the double glass doors with Conference Rm. A etched on the side in small white letters and saw that his father's back was turned.  He was staring out onto the city from the great expanse of a window. His father was waiting for him.

Shit. That meant that the meeting was over. Dean's heart fell. Taking a deep breath, he opened the doors and walked through. With an uneasy smiling playing on his lips, Dean asked, "Am I early?"

His father didn't turn. Instead he continued to stare out of the window in silence. Dean had learned from history that he shouldn't say a word. He'd wait it out.

"Son." He didn't turn, but he spoke solemnly.

His tone struck a chord with Dean, so much that he simply had to plead his case even though he knew the best course of action was to simply let his father say his entire piece.

"Dad...I know...I'm sor.."

"Don't apologize!" Jonathan said sharply. He was immobile except for the twitch at his strong jaw. He continued, " I don't need to tell you how embarrassing it is for my own son to be late for a company meeting...a company that he's supposed to be running in a couple of years."

"Dad...you've still got at least a good ten years in you, old chap." Dean's feeble attempt at a familiar, affectionate nick name failed. His father turned. His eyes, hardened ice, bore into Dean's nervous brown eyes. His mother's eyes.

"Do you think that this is a joke?"Jonathan's brows furrowed, making his eyes squint.

"No, Dad. I don't," Dean half whined the statement. He felt himself regressing in age. His father continued to stare him down.

"Well?" His father waited.

"I'm going to be better about this, Dad. It's just that with classes and all I. I don't know. I haven't been motivated, you know." As his father continued to stare at him signaling that he'd heard all Dean's excuses. Dean decided that it was now or never. He'd have to let his father know the truth. Well, a watered down version. The truth was that Dean had no real desire in running the company. But instead he said, "Dad, I'm intimidated."

His father's stare softened a bit at the new admission. For dramatic effect, Dean sat in one of the stuffy leather seats and ran his hand through his lazy brown curls. His eyes on the mahogany table. "No, I'm scared, Dad. You've done a phenomenal job with this company and I don't want to be the one to run it to the ground. What if I'm not good enough? I think about it every day when I get up and get dressed for work. There have been people who've been here working for you that could probably do this job with their eyes closed. What if I'm not good enough?" Dean's eyes were still on the desk but he heard his father's slow steps coming towards him. Massive hands gripped his shoulders lightly. There was a gentle squeeze.

"Son, you could never be a disappointment to me." He sighed. "I wish I had known this earlier, I wouldn't have pressured you so much. I'm sorry about that, son."

"No, Dad. It's not your fault." Dean admitted, milking it.

"No, no. Listen. With some more training, a few extra business classes, you will get it. I promise. I've been talking to Carl. He's been here for a long time and a VP for quite a number of years. He knows a lot and is willing to sit down with you whenever you need to go over the overall structure of the business, among other things. You know that." Dean dreaded the idea of taking more classes but remained silent. His father's grip became a light patting. Dean was thinking of another way out.

"You know it's my dream that you take over the business when I'm gone. Nothing would make me happier." He spoke softly. Just like that, Jonathan had the advantage. He had flipped the switch. His father knew how much his son adored him.

"Yeah, I know Dad. I'll try and make you proud."

"I know you will. Now, come on. Give your old man a hug." Dean, a bit disoriented, rose from the comfort of the swiveling seat to give his father a bear hug and few thuds to the back.

"I'm glad you forgive me, Dad."

"Of course, my boy. I love you. But you sure missed a heck of a presentation."

"Oh yeah? Debrief me."

"Certainly. We're now official sponsors of what will become Lumiere Charter School in downtown Jersey City. It started off as an up and coming educational program for at risk teens there. It was meant to supplement the education many of the students lack, which has lead to them repeat grades, etc. Now we're going to help making it into a school. And here's the kicker:"

Dean loved how excited his father became when about to reveal something he thought to be particularly interesting.

"Shoot."

"The founders of the program both went to Jefferson, two lovely young women. I believe that they were in your class."

Jonathan clasped his hands together, pleased with himself. "Isn't that fantastic!?"

Dean smiled but he had no idea which females in his class his father was referring to.  Surely, he would have heard of one of his female friends going to Jersey City and starting a program. In fact, none of his female friends lived in Jersey. A light bulb went off in his head. It must have been someone who did an alternative teaching program like Teach For America and decided to stay and try and make a difference.

"That's great, Dad. What are their names?"

"Jayden McDaniel and Marisol Fuerte. Ring any bells? Jayden seemed to remember you."

Dean pondered for a moment. No, no bells...Wait, ah...Yes! Jayden McDaniel, Miss Jefferson. Dean remembered her clearly now. He had never really talked to her, but he did know that she was one of the most proactive females in the school. A young, black female powerhouse. Everyone seemed to love her. The other female, Marisol, Dean could not remember her face. The name did begin to sound familiar though.

"Yes, yes. Jayden. She was quite the well rounded student at Jefferson. I'm not surprised she's successfully launched her own program. Marisol was a lot quieter and low key."

The truth was that at Jefferson, Jayden and Marisol occupied a different social sphere, one that primarily included minorities. Dean on the other hand had been an athlete and spent most of his time with his lacrosse mates. Any friend of color he had he met on the field and there were very few men of color out their in the lacrosse world.

"Good, I'm glad you remember because I've assigned you to be the company liaison while Lumiere, with its new funding, undergoes some critical changes. We want to make sure our money is being put to good use."

"Okay, I can do that. How long does that usually take?"

"Three months at the least. You'll go there, observe, take notes and compile a detailed report of your observations, which will be sent in at the end of each month." His father walked back to the head of the conference room table and grabbed a red folder stuffed with papers.

"In here is everything you need. It's a copy of Ms. McDaniel's PowerPoint, contracts, comprehensive breakdown of the Lumiere and tentative timeline we drafted together regarding the necessary changes."

Dean grabbed the thick, red folder from his father's hand and flipped through the colored sheets of papers. He then looked back at his father.

"Is that all?"

"That's it, my boy."

"Okay, cool. I'm on it." Dean closed the folder and tucked it underneath his arm, in the crook of his armpit.  Relieved that everything was back to normal, Dean unbuttoned his suit jacket and headed towards the door. He paused and turned back quickly to watch his father tidy the room. Dean knew that once he left, his father would retreat to his office to make several important phone calls, answer some e-mails, and then order a car to take him home.

"I'll see you for dinner and drinks, Friday night."

"Sure thing. Be safe, son."

"You too, Dad. Give mom a kiss for me, will you?"

"I always do." His father grinned.

Heading towards the elevator, a bit dismayed that he still had the weight of Kennel Corps on his shoulders, he saw her. The woman he'd nearly knocked over. Now there, he thought. I can properly apologize for my rude behavior. About five feet away from her, he heard the loud bing signaling the arrival of the elevator. The light flashed above her and the doors opened. She stepped inside. Dean broke into a sprint in order to catch the elevator doors as they closed. He managed to get a foot in which caused the elevator doors to retract. The woman didn't look up. Her phone was to her ear waiting for someone on the other end to pick up.


 "Hello?" He heard a lethargic female voice answer.

  "Hi, Mari babe. Just finished the meeting."

"Yeah? That's wonderful, honey. How do you think it went?" The woman's voice on the phone held a thick Spanish accent.

"I rocked it. Mari, they gave us fifty g's just to start off! Just to start, honey! Now we can put down on the building that we want to rent." The woman, Mari, squealed in delight.

"I'm not surprised, babe. I knew you'd seal the deal. I mean you left the office looking like a million bucks and besides everybody loves you. You just light up a room, so chara-"

"Okay! Cut it, Mari! I know what you're going to say. I get it."

"You never take compliments well."

Jayden chuckled, "I don't need your compliments. I just need you to be happy."

Dean kept his head straight occasionally ruffling his red tie. At one point, he checked his blackberry and after glancing at the messages he decided listening in on this conversation was much more fun.

"I am happy, boo! So happy. Let's go out for drinks tonight and celebrate."

"Oh, you know I am down. Gotta get out of these wack clothes though," Jayden sighed slipping out of her cardigan.

"Haha. But you look so good in those "wack" clothes." The elevator sounded again indicating that it had reached the lobby. Dean waited for the doors to open.

 "Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm just glad the game's over. Look I'm 'bout to get off the elevator and get in the car. I'll call you as soon as I get into JC. Muah, bye!" The doors opened and Dean stepped out the elevator before the woman, walking slowly. She easily passed him, her high heels clicking across the marble floor of the lobby. He watched her exit through the spinning doors. Her form fitting black dress molded to her body and hugged her curves.

The conversation brought several pieces together. She was Jayden. The woman he had been standing with inside the elevator was Jayden McDaniel! She looked so different since they'd graduated, much hotter. Or had she always been that hot? And judging by the conversation this Marisol had to be her lover.  

 

Rock Plaza - Outside of Kennel Corp

"What did you mean by "the game's over?"

Jayden stiffened and slowed her purposeful stride; She looked over her shoulder at the man she'd barely noticed in the elevator.

"Excuse me?" She stopped once she had reached her car and turned around to stare at him. After a moment, she squinted her eyes. The impish grin, the messy sun-kissed curls falling across his face, those warm, brown eyes were still the same. It was impossible not to know it was Dean. He still had the same youthful swagger he had in high school.

She sighed in recognition and stated, "Eavesdropping is rude."

Dean, noticing her recognition of him, relaxed by leaning an arm on the side of her car.

"Well it's hard not to when you're like a foot from one another in an elevator. If you don't want people to hear your conversation, maybe you shouldn't talk on an elevator." His smile was teasing. Jayden could also see that he was still the same cocky ass he was in high school.

"You're awfully comfortable on the side of my car. I'm sensitive to marks, scratches and the sort on her." Dean blinked, not comprehending Jayden's implications. She cleared her throat and poised a hand on her hip. She looked towards the car and then back to Dean waiting.

"OH!" Dean jerked from the side of the car.

"It's good to see you again, Dean," she responded dryly. Who did he think he was traipsing up to her in such a fashion, leaning against her car without any introductions?  He was lucky she figured out who he was when she looked up or else...

"You know I could have maced you coming up to me like that."

Dean looked at her confused and then laughed out loud. "You carry mace?"

"I live in Jersey City," she stated bluntly, a blank expression on her face, "and you better be glad that's all I carry."

Dean loosened his tie.

"Hmm. Well sorry about the whole leaning business. My car's my pride and joy as well." He responded, giving her car a once over. It was a silver Nissan Altima Coupe, probably nothing compared to what Dean might have, Jayden thought. She opened the back door and tossed her cardigan in. She removed some flat sandals from the back seat. Removing her pumps one by one, she placed a delicate foot into each flip flop. She noticed Dean staring at her.

"Yes, well...is there something I can help you with?" She cocked an eyebrow at him. Dean seemed to snap out of his trance and clear his throat.

"Oh, when I noticed it was you on the elevator I wanted to make sure I apologized for not attending today's meeting. My fat-Mr. Kennel said you did a phenomenal job. I want to formally congratulate you."

"Thank you, Dean. I appreciate it. You were sorely missed at the meeting today as well." Sarcasm. Dean raised an eyebrow. Jayden realized that she probably shouldn't be so rude to the CEO's son. But, I already have the check, she thought. Dangerous thinking. Rein it in.

"Truly. I was looking forward to seeing a familiar face."

"That's nice. Well, you'll be seeing me a lot more often," Oh joy!  She wanted to roll her eyes so badly.

"I'm sure Mr. Kennel told you that I've been assigned to act as a liaison between Lumiere and Kennel Corp for a couple months while you get the new building off the ground."

"Yes, Mr. Kennel did mention it. We'll be glad to have you aboard. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to get going. It's a bit of drive out of the city with so much traffic."

"Yeah, well let me get the door for you."

"No, I can ma- "

"Got it."

"Thanks." Jayden slipped into her car and watched as he closed the door. Even when she started the engine he was still there waiting. She began to pull off and he waved.  She waved back and took off towards the George Washington Bridge.

 

Hard Grove Cafe - Jersey City

"Hola, chica! Check you out! Struttin' in here with the big bucks, huh?" Marisol, a Dominican beauty, stood a 5'4 with long curly hair cascading down her back. She wore a sheer light pink camisole with a tank top underneath, black tights and knee length boots. She moved from the bar and walked towards Jayden with arms wide open. Jayden grinned widely. Seeing her best friend was like a breath of fresh air.

"You know it, mama! Come here." They bear hugged a while until Marisol broke off and grabbed Jayden by the hand. She led Jayden to the leather bound bar stools and watched her friend take a seat.

"Look what I have lined up for you. Shots of patron!"

"You know me so well," Jayden cooed happily.

"Mira, Carlito! Bring us two Long Island ice teas and then after that, surprise us! But keep the drinks coming. We're celebrating tonight." Carlito, Marisol's cousin had been working at the Hard Grove for years. It was very convenient because he always gave us discounts on our drinks.

Carlito smirked, "Oh yeah? What cha'll celebratin'?"

"We got big money for Lumiere tonight."

"Good stuff. In that case, drinks on me tonight ladies. Just for you two though. Not your hoodrat friends," he laughed. Both Jayden and Marisol gave him an annoyed look.

"The gang's on their way over here. I've told them the good news and they're all super excited." Marisol explained.

"Great. Now let's get to these shots!"

"Vamos!" The two women faced the mirrors behind the bar, grabbed their respective shot glasses and raised them high while Mari shouted, "Pa' arriba, pa' bajo, pa' centro, pa' dentro!" They downed the shots of patron and settled down on their stools.

Jayden wiped her mouth and spoke, "Whew! So smooth!" Jayden let the tangy taste sit in her mouth before she poke again. "So let me tell you who I saw today."

"Girl, who?" Mari's eyes widened in anticipation. Carlito sat two glistening glasses of Long Island iced tea on coasters next to the women.

"Dean Kennel."

Mari's face fell. She scrunched her nose in confusion. "Dean Kennel? Who's that?"  

"From Jefferson, girl. Lax bro. He was the crazy white boy that always danced so hard at parties...super cute?" Jayden took a sip of her long island iced tea.

"You know I don't remember anyone from that damn school. I try hard to forget it. But I believe you when you say he exists. So what about him?"

"Well, his father owns the company hence the last name and he works for his father too. Since we've gotten the grant the company will send over a liaison to monitor the program to see how we put the funds to use, etc. Guess who our liaison is?"

"No shit."

"Yes, girl."

"Wow. Small world. I see why you continued to visit Jefferson after we graduated. Those connections come in handy."

"Yeah, they come in handy from a far by way of a recommendation or a donation or something. But I can't handle someone like Dean coming into the program. He'll just breath down our necks about something he doesn't understand."

"Yeah, I feel you. It's probably all about the publicity. These big companies find themselves so called wanting to give back to the community and what not. They don't really care about what's actually going on."

Jayden nodded her head in agreement. She nearly finished her drink. "Exactly. We lucked out on Kennel Corps because at least he's checking on us and making sure we're actually about something. I've actually had a decent conversation with the man about the project. He told me how his family used to live in Jersey City way back in the day, too! Back when a movie was like ten cents. Isn't that wild?"             


"So wild." Marisol agreed starting her second drink.

"I did some research on Jonathan Kennel and his company has a reputation for reaching out to struggling organizations, particularly in Jersey City, as well as other philanthropic endeavors. His son on the other hand...I googled him and nothing substantial came up. Brother man is still poppin' up on Facebook with the drunk bro pics. It's ridiculous."

"Ugh. Life's one big party to them prep school kids for real. They get a degree, don't do squat with it and still rolling around in a Benz. It makes me sick."

This topic was nothing new to the two friends. In college the two friends had been heavily involved with issues around cultural identity and representation on their respective campuses. They found a voice to explain their frustrations having attended a predominantly white secondary school and the passion this discovery evoked led the two friends back together in their adult lives to start a program for at risk teens.

"Preach, sistah," Jayden heartily encouraged.

 "I mean, but it's whatever, he's just gonna be around for a little while. He's harmless. Probably won't even notice he's there," Marisol ended with a shrug of her shoulders.

 "Yeah, well I hope so. He just needs to do whatever he needs to do to make daddy happy and stay out of our way."

Jayden felt small hands at her shoulders and she stopped before launching off into another tirade. The cavalry had arrived. Rodney, Casey, Lynette, and Marissa, workers at Lumiere, had all made it out tonight to celebrate. Marisol, already tipsy, was beside herself.

"Guys! Finally, you're here!" Marisol and Jayden rose from the seats and began hugging and kissing their coworkers on the cheek.

Rodney was the first to speak.

 "Yeah, I had to pick up Lynette's lazy self." He gave her sideways glance and reiterated, "Don't think I'ma be your chauffeur or something." We all laughed as Lynette rolled her eyes and placed her purse on the bar preparing to order a drink. Jayden turned towards Rodney.

"Speaking of chauffeur, you know I'ma need you drive me home tonight right?" Rodney was the only one of the coworkers that didn't drink. He said he never liked the taste of alcohol. In high school, he was a tri-varsity athlete. He always had to keep his body in check so he didn't mess with any drugs, alcohol or other substances. After while, he got immune to the stuff. Or so he said. Rodney sighed.


"Sure."

Lynette snickered and muttered under her breath, "Oh, so you huffin' and puffin about giving me a ride, but as soooon as Jayden want a ride you get all docile and what not talking.... 'sure'" She mimicked. He ignored her. Everyone suspected that Rodney had always had a thing for Jayden since he began working at Lumiere. Jayden pretended to be oblivious.

Mari interrupted, "Guys, guys, guys. Mira! Why you keep talking? Let's drink!" She raised her glass with a huge grin, her cheeks a bit flushed. No one could deny a smile that bright. With that, the rest of the coworkers gathered around the bar, while Rodney ordered a ginger ale, to celebrate the night away.

End Notes:

What is Lumiere?

Lumiere by midnightlove
Author's Notes:

We learn a little more about Lumiere, get a tiny glimpse into Dean and Jayden's past, and see how Dean's sees her in this different light.

Two days later...

 

Lumiere - Jersey City

 

For the first time since he started working at his father's company, Dean arrived to work on time. Granted, he wasn't going into the office...and it was also 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon.

He sat in his car parked in a small lot outside of a rather run down building. The gritty Jersey City streets he'd passed on his way over looked very different than the plush, green neighborhoods of Westchester, New York where his family currently lived. Dean got out of his car and locked the door. He casually walked around the perimeters and examined the area. He decided to walk to the back.

He must have the wrong address. Wasn't the school supposed to be in downtown Jersey Cit? Having lived in New York for most of his life, both in and out of the city, Dean found absolutely no reason to frequent New Jersey. The state was a shit-hole from what he could tell. However, when he did, he was either insanely drunk or on his way to that state. There were two places he knew vaguely - Hoboken and Jersey City - quick PATH rides away from his beloved city.

This was not the hazy Jersey City he remembered. The Jersey City of his mind saw looming condominiums and bars and restaurants along brightly lit streets that had been closed off for pedestrians. That Jersey City was well maintained and even classy looking. This Jersey City? Well, it was...dirty.

"Can I help you, brutha?" grunted a dark-skinned man in a white beater and blue jeans. His lit cigarette dangled precariously from between his lips. Dean tensed. Don't fucking kill me, he thought.

"I'm just looking around. I'm going to be working here for a little while and wanted to check out the place." Dean hoped that he looked calm and collected even though that was far from what he was feeling.

"Is that right?" The man got off the bucket he was sitting on and moved towards Dean. The man looked even larger standing. He had about an inch or two on Dean, but his build surpassed Dean's lean figure. Dean could feel his muscles start to flex underneath his white oxford but he stood his ground. Who am I kidding? He could destroy me. Dean began to regret not staying in the car and calling Jayden the moment he arrived.

The man drew nearer and extended his hand.

"The name's Jackson, but the kids 'round here call me Jaxx. I'm the custodian. I also help out with other maintenance issues besides clean up." Jaxx looked the white man up and down with interest. Jayden hadn't told him to be expecting anyone today. He guessed that it must have slipped her mind. While what Jax had said to Dean was true, he'd left out the word guardian. That was also on his list of responsibilities. He guarded this run down building like it was his own home. It certainly felt like it at times.

"Nice to meet you, Jackson." They shook hands firmly and let go. Strong grip, thought Jaxx. Solid. Jaxx could tell a lot about a man's character by the way he shook hands. He sensed in Dean the spirit of a guardian, too.

"You can call me Jaxx." Dean was taken a back by the request in informality, but humbled by the gesture nonetheless. He also felt like a complete tool for being afraid of this man in the first place. Jackson was trying to make him feel comfortable.

"Alright, Jaxx. My name's Dean. I don't really have much of a nickname around these parts but back when I played lacrosse my boys called me DK. You can all me that if you'd like."

"Say what now? Lacrosse? What's kind of sport is that?" Jax only cared for two sports: basketball and golf.

Dean laughed out loud."It's mostly a prep school sport -- a bunch of guys running up and down a field with a stick with a net at the end. They toss around a hard little ball and try and make a goal with it."

"Huh." Jaxx muttered thoughtfully. He looked up at Dean and cracked a huge grin illuminating the gap at the front of his large white teeth. "I was 'bout to say. I don't see nobody running 'round here with sticks for sport if you get what I'm saying..."

"Yeah, I got you." Dean assumed by that statement this was not a very pleasant area. This thought struck him again. How could this be part of the Jersey City he'd been to? He wasn't stupid or naive enough to think that "bad" places didn't exist, but was startled by his lack of exposure. He hadn't seen it all. In fact, he'd been seeing things and going places that were generally the same. The thought made him restless for reasons he could not quite yet name.

"Well, DK," Jaxx enunciated for emphasis, "I think we gon' get along just fine. You going inside now?" Jax gestured to unmarked entrance at the back of the building.

"Yes sir."

"I'll go in withcha. Let me just finish this here." Jaxx took one long drag from his cigarette and dropped it to the floor crushing it with the toe of his Timberland boot.

"Follow me" Jaxx said as he grabbed his blue maintenance shirt dangling off of a nearby fence bordering the property. Dean followed Jaxx back inside. Immediately they were bombarded with the sent of fresh Lemon Pine Sol and mint. The reception area was brightly lit and the walls were a bright yellow. A slender woman sat behind a high desk. She stared intently at the computer screen before glancing up at the approaching men; she fixed her glasses slightly.

"Hi, Jaxx!" She answered cheerfully, her voice high pitched. Looking closer she seemed a lot younger than her cotton blouse, dress slacks and ponytail projected.

"Hi, Shelly. This here's the new guy. Dean...Keh...what you say your last name was again?" Dean had never told him.

"Kennel. Dean Kennel here to see Jayden McDaniel." The young receptionist looked down at what appeared to be a scheduler and looked up again.

"Ah, Mr. Kennel. I don't have you done for an appointment with Ms. McDaniel." It would seem that Jackson wasn't the only one who didn't know of his visit today. That seemed strange...and a bit rude. He'd have to talk to Jayden about that.

Sally, on the other hand, was trying hard not to have a melt down. Jayden have given her this job to keep her off the streets and she didn't want to mess it up. She tried hard to search her memories for a time Jayden might have brought his name up. She drew a blank. I'm fucked, she thought.

"Well, I suppose I wouldn't have a formal appointment," Dean said charmingly, "I'm not due for another couple of days but I thought I'd come over and take a look at the place early. I'm the representative from the firm who'll be monitoring the program's transition for the next couple of months. She might have mentioned it."

The young girl's face lit up in recognition. Praise the lord. That DID ring a bell, Sally mentally cheered.

 "Oh! Kennel Corps. Yes, Ms. McDaniel shared the good news with us this morning. Thank you so much for donating so much money to us. We truly appreciate it." Jayden hadn't mentioned how good looking our benefactor was, mused Sally.

 "Don't thank me. I just work for the man who signed the check."

"But your name..." Sally stared at the man in confusion.

 

"Yeah, he's my dad. But shhh...don't tell anyone." Dean gave her teasing smile. She blushed. Dean couldn't help but be a flirt. If he could name his three loves, they would be: Lacrosse, Tequila and Women. He loved women. The one before him was cute, but, admittedly, too young. Flirting only, he reminded himself.

"Okay. Well she's in the recreation room working with the middle school kids right now. Jaxx can show you the room." Dean looked over to Jaxx who nodded in agreement.

"After you, Jaxx." Dean allowed Jaxx to pass him by the desk area down a yellow hallway. At the end of the hallway, both men turned and went up a flight of stairs and through a glass door. During this time, Dean surveyed the building taking mental notes. From what he knew and had read in the portfolio his father had handed him, Jayden wanted to transition Lumiere into a real school. Right now, it was operated primarily as after school program with remedial services on the weekend like tutoring and GED classes for adults. Yet, as he looked at the chipping paint and lack of space, he had no idea how they could ready this particular building to house children safely. They had much to discuss.

On the second floor of the building heard many voice, laughter and the sound of a few basketballs dribbling.

 As if sensing his thoughts, Jaxx finally spoke. "This here building is not much but we managed to get a few things in here for the kids, like this little in door basketball court. Ms. Jayden hustled hard to get the money for it too. Fundraising and all. She's a saint to them kids."

Drawing closer to the sounds, the walls, now green, gave way to a glass pane to the right. Dean looked in and he could see a group of students running up and down a small but well crafted basketball court. He heard a whistle and looked over to the referee. Clad in a loose white t-shirt and black spandex leggings, she let the whistle drop to her chest and yelled a few things out at the kids, a mixture of boys and girls. One boy replied with an impetuous shrug of his shoulders and appeared to have made an offhand comment. He watched as Jayden strode quickly towards the little boy in the middle of the court and raised her hands. For a second Dean thought that she would slap the boy, but she lowered her hands and began to tickle him. Immediately, all of the children surrounded them and began to tickle the boy and some tickled Jayden. Through all the commotion, tickling and laughter, Dean saw Jayden throw her head back and laugh the hardest.

"She's a beauty, ain't she?" Dean turned to see Jaxx staring at him intently. His gaze knowing.

"What?" Dean let out a nervous chuckle and a couple of seconds of awkward silence followed. Dean continued, "Yeah...she really is."


Dean couldn't deny that fact - a fact that might complicate their little work relationship. He was used to business dealings with men and none of them looked half as good in their gym clothes.

Jaxx nodded his head silently and returned his gaze to the display of joy before him. Changing the subject he commented, "Just look at them acting all crazy. That's a rule you know. Somebody mouth off, everybody gets to tickle person 'till he can't stand it no more." Dean nodded and smile.

 "I like that rule. A lot. Kind of wish I had that in school growing up."

 "Yeah, me too. Maybe I would have stayed there." Jaxx muttered. Dean didn't know what to say, so he remained silent.

Lumiere - Jersey City

"Alright settle down, settle down." Jayden took the middle of a small brightly lit space. In actuality the room served as the gym, the cafeteria, and the auditorium. Over thirty young faces stared out at her. She took a deep breath and shouted, "Why are you here?"

The children roared back, "To use my time in a way that serves me and my community!"

And so began the traditional call and response of their daily meeting.

            "Why else?"

            "To be the best person I am meant to be."

            "And what will you do?"

            "Work hard, think critically!"

            "What will you need?"

            "Self determination."

            "What else?"   

            "Respect for me, my teachers, all students"

            "And what is the ultimate goal?"

            "Give back to others..."

The gymacafetorium erupted in applause. Everyone had the energy they needed to get through the afternoon. Jayden raised her hand and the room quieted.

 "It's a great day today and we're all so fortunate to be together. We're going to go over some announcements briefly and then talk about our future. As you all know..." Jayden faltered as she realized that they'd had a guest in the room.

Dean watched her from the side of the circle. He was dressed business casually in a crisp white oxford casually unbuttoned at the neck and rolled up to the elbows revealing strong forearms. The shirt tucked in into a lean waist where khaki pants adorned his long legs and tapered over brown leather boat topsiders. His long brown curls looked windswept as per usual and they fell messy over his sleepy eyes. He looked incredibly handsome. How long had he been there? She felt her cheeks flush at how blatantly she stared at him. He too stared back, a smile playing at his lips.

She cleared her throat with an "excuse me" and broke their gaze, "we've been given some money by the prestigious Kennel Corps to really expand Lumiere." This elicited excited murmurs among the students. Jayden raised her hands again.

"But what does that mean?" She looked around the circle.

"It means that during the hours that you're not here with us, we've been working hard to find a new place to move. We think we've found a space downtown and with the money, we get to buy, renovate it and add a whole other facility to our program. Then, Lumiere will fully be considered a school, instead of just a summer and after school program!" The room erupted in applause again and Jayden beamed. When the applause died down she continued, "for the time being, we can make some much needed changes to this building, get some more books, maybe an outdoor basketball court, and other programs with the new space - the sky's the limit!" Jayden actually glowed.

"Now, I don't want to get beside myself. This is not going to be easy. There's much we need to do but I'm telling you all this because we need your help, students. There will be a lot of people coming to look at the place. I need you all to be true and honest with them and yourselves, showing them how wonderful you really are. I need you to go home and talk to your parents and guardians about the news because we're going to need a lot of support. Okay?"

The children echoed a resolute, "Okay!"

Jayden asked, "Are you excited?"

"Yes."

"Are you excited?" She yelled.

"YES!" They yelled back in unison, cheering loudly.

Dean was floored by the amount of love he was witnessing in this very space. Her command of the room, in her gym clothes at that, was astounding. It was so strange seeing her this way when he'd just saw her a few day before all dolled up and stanch-like. Both sides of Jayden were incredibly sexy, but this side, he decided was what he liked best. Yes, this complicates things, he thought.

"Alright, well let's get the afternoon started on a positive note. Please transition to your after school teacher. Snacks are available for students in the Baldwin room. Remember that this is a new cycle so some of your after school activities might have changed. Check in with your teacher about it. Lastly, around 6:00, teachers, you can give away any of the remaining snacks from that day to the students who worked the hardest." Jayden heard "yeaah!" and saw a few students high-five. Students began to gather their things to leave when Jayden cleared her throat loudly for one last announcement.

"One more thing, guys! I would be crazy not to introduce you all to Dean Kennel, who's come all the way from Kennel Corps in NYC to see you guys. Mr. Kennel, will you step out into the circle?" Jayden smiled at Dean's startled expression. He actually flushed a darker pink. Running a hand through his hair, he stepped into the circle and joined Jayden in the middle. He looked around the circle bashfully and waved.

"Hi! I'm so embarrassed. I didn't expect to be introduced to all of you today. I was hoping to kind of fade in the background." Dean looked around at the adorable faces; they were curious about him. Their eyes were wide in wonder but they also laughed at his awkwardness.

 

Jayden giggled at the irony of the statement. The program was predominantly black and Latino. He could never just faded into the background around here.  Jayden placed a light hand on his back; she couldn't quite reach his shoulder comfortably.

 "No worries, Mr. Kennel. We're just really excited to have you here. Right guys? What do you have to say to Mr. Kennel?"

"Thank you, Kennel Corps!" The children erupted in applause again. They'd been rehearsing this line for a video a teacher and few students were working on to send to Jonathan Kennel as a thank you. Dean turned a shade darker.

"No, thank you! You guys are awesome. I can't wait to see what great things you're up to around here."

Jayden in, "that's right! Mr. Kennel will be around for some time while the new changes take effect. You'll probably see him in your classes, in the offices, and - "

"...probably on the basketball court." The students laughed again. Some of the boys whispered to one another excitedly.

"Yes, there too. Please treat Mr. Kennel as part of the Lumiere family and show him a great time. Thanks. You are dismissed." The morning circle broke and a few students boldly crossed the circle to meet and shake hands with Dean. Jayden stepped aside impressed and walked over to discuss further announcements with the teachers. When she walked back over, a few boys still lingered in front of Dean discussing, apparently, basketball plans. Jayden recognized them as Quamaine and Reggie. She chuckled to herself as she heard:

 "So you play basketball, Mr. Kennel?"

 "Call me, Dean." Quamaine seemed a bit uncomfortable with the idea, but shrugged.

"Okay, Dean. What'cho skills like?" Quamaine knew that he should head off to his activities but he was so stoked that there was another male in the building whole liked playing basketball. Mr. Tate never wanted to play. Quamaine thought he was wack.

 "Well, I played ball in college for fun, could've gone out for the team but I chose to play Lacrosse instead."

Reggie piped in, confused. "Lahcrost. What's that?"

Quamaine nudged Reggie's ribs sharply.

 "It's a sport, stupid. Nevermind him. That's cool, I guess. So you want to play ball sometime before our afternoon activities. We leave school and come here straight at 3:30 so that we can get some time in."

"Yeah, sure. But how about tomorrow? I didn't bring my gym clothes with me."

 "Cool!" the boys uttered simultaneously. Before the boys could leave, Dean added, "yeah, and maybe I could show you guys how to play Lacrosse, if you don't already know. I have a few sticks at home."

"Yeah! That would be awesome." To Reggie, Quamaine spoke, "I can't wait to tell the boys about this. It's gonna be on and poppin'."

Jayden had watched the entire interaction silently. She had to admit that she was impressed by how well he conversed with the kids. He seemed to be a natural. She didn't know why, but this made her a bit uneasy. It's because you don't trust him, she surmised. That could be true. She was very protective of her program because of the kids. They were special, not because of just who they were, but because all of that they've had to endure being a part of this community. She didn't want just anyone around her kids. With that thought she intervened,"Alright, boys. Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"Yes, Ms. Jayden. We goin' right now." Reggie said grabbing on to Quamaine and pushing him towards the exit. The auditorium had cleared by then and a small bell could be heard in the background signaling the start of the first round of activities.

 "Bye, now!" They waved back on their way out the door.

Jayden turned to see a huge grin plastered on Dean's face.

 "You look like a big kid, right now."

"I feel like one. I've never really been put on the spot like that before."

"I'm sure you have." Jayden thought for a moment. She recalled a time from high school. "I remember when that girl called you out at morning meeting in school for auctions. That was in front of the entire school." 

 That startled Dean. How could she remember something like that when he'd first heard her name he couldn't even remember her face? Her reprisal of this memory was only another painful reminder of all the things he just wasn't aware of -- like her. She'd been there in high school with him, the whole time.

"Ugh. You remember that? I try to repress that memory." He groaned. A pained look crossed his face.

"Yeah. That makes sense. Auctions were the worst. I can't believe we bought into stupid traditions like that in high school. I mean really...auctioning off people for prom? Auctioning off people in general..." Jayden let the magnitude of her thoughts linger in the air, hoping he'd catch her drift.

 "Yeah. We were stupid back then, young and stupid. I'm glad that tradition has been banned."

Jayden sucked her teeth, "Please, you know those kids are still doing under the administration's nose. It got banned back then, too, but we still managed to pull it off. In fact, wasn't it your group of friends that started it back up our senior year?" The Lax bros, as they were called, did whatever, whenever they wanted in high school.

Dean stared at her warily, reluctant to answer. "I guess. I wouldn't know. I wasn't a part of stuff like that."

That wasn't the truth and he knew she knew it. Dean had loved Auctions in high school. It was a way to humiliate the slutty girls they had gone to school with. They wanted attention so badly and Dean and his friends thought he was doing everyone a service. He never had time to dwell on the impact on such a tradition or it's ramifications until this very second. Auctions were terrible, he could admit that know. It hurt people's feelings and made them feel like shit.

Jayden also hesitated before answering an, "Of course, you weren't." She hoped he didn't catch the slight sarcasm to her voice, but he did.

Dean didn't come here to be reminded about how inconsiderate he and his teammates had been in high school. Throughout his college career, he'd run into to several of his high school peers at bars or parties around the city who had no problem telling him how much they'd hated his team.

"Well, when you're young and reckless you don't really don't care about who you hurt. You just want to have fun. Things are different now. I'm not sixteen anymore. The past is the past, right?" He looked at her in earnest. His strong hands tucked into his pockets.

 The air between them has suddenly become tense and she didn't understand why or how it had gotten to this point so quickly. She promised herself long ago that she wouldn't let her past experiences get the best of her again. Yet, she could feel the bitterness of yesteryear slipping its way to the forefront -- she had been one of those girls and from the looks of it he didn't even remember.

How fucking convenient. She wanted to lighten up the situation so Jayden let a fake laugh escape her lips.

"Exactly. So what are you doing here?" She asked warily noting the double entendre of the question. "I mean...so early. We weren't expecting you until at least next week."

Dean relaxed a bit. His face softened. A change of subject.

"I don't know. I guess I got bored sitting in the office. I figured this would be more fun, you know, being in a school setting with lots of students around. Kids are lot more fun than adults wouldn't you say?" Jayden nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, well already you're a big hit with the boys."

Dean laughed, "Really? I hope so. They seem like cool kids. I look forward to getting to know them. I probably shouldn't have brought up the basketball thing because I feel like I'm gonna make a fool of myself."

Jayden also laughed. "Wow, so you can't play ball?"

"Oh, no. I can ball. It's just that I was watching them play ball a bit earlier today and I see that they've got skills."

 "Yeah, a couple of them are local all stars in their middle schools but it won't them anywhere if they don't pass. That's where I come in."

Dean nodded, understanding. "They're lucky to have you." He spoke in a low voice, looking at Jayden pointedly. His brown eyes searching. Brown just like hers. She looked away and smiled, a bit embarrassed.

"No, I'm the lucky one."

They stood in silence for a beat.

"Wait, you said you saw them playing earlier. When? How long have you been here?"

 

Dean grinned and shifted, moving towards the window. Jayden stared at his back.

"Well, I've been here since 3. Jaxx showed me around some and then we stumbled upon the game. I saw some real talent."

"Is that right?"

"Yeah, but there was one thing I couldn't take my eyes off of?" He turned to her slightly and she moved closer to the window.

Jayden groaned. "I know, I know. The piles of desks and chairs in the corner. It's an awful place to put those things but we're running out of storage so we needed to a place to put them temporarily..."

 

"Nah, I was referring to the referee." Jayden stared at him blankly. Deam moved closer. He had to be crazy. He knew it. Already he was breaking all kinds of professional rules by saying what he had just said, but since he got to this building he'd been feeling something...and right now he could only describe it as out of control.

 "Yeah, that's right. I said it. The referee. She was the most unconventional referee I ever saw." Just like that. The situation had shifted. A new tension pulsated throughout the room. Dean decided, like most decisions in his life, he'd deal with the consequences later.

"Wha-what do you mean?" Jayden couldn't believe she was stuttering and she couldn't believe the affect this man was having on her heartbeat. Dean moved closer still.

Fuck, fuckety fuck, Jayden thought. Jayden had wanted to, if not hate this man, strongly dislike him. Yet, she could not deny the fact that she could probably, as Mari would put "fuck his brains out", if they didn't have all of this "baggage" between.

"Well, for one she didn't have a ref's uniform. She had on this snug white t-shirt and some black spandex leggings, which, might I add, hugged her in all the right places. She looked incredible. Made me want to be sixteen again so I could run out, join the team and have her order me around." His voice lowered again, huskily.

 "I mean, any warm blooded man would appreciate the sight." The two were face to face and Jayden didn't think she was breathing. She didn't think she was alive. No, of course she was because she clearly felt the warmth of his hand now playing with hers lying rigidly at her side. He tugged her hand and pulled her closer. Gosh, he was bold.  

He murmured. "I don't think you should have such an attractive woman reffing your kids in the Ms. McDaniel. What do you think?"

Was he blatantly flirting with her?!

Jayden didn't get a chance to answer, nor did she think she could have when Lynette Summer, the her project coordinator, walked into the room bellowing, "Jayden!" But quickly added an, "er, I mean Ms. McDaniels" when she saw that Dean was present. Jayden stepped away from Dean quickly, wrenching her hand from his. It tingled. She was glad for the distance.

 "Yes, Ms. Summer," She responded, a bit breathless. She didn't have to look at him to know that Dean was still looking at her.

"I have the reports you requested and wanted to see if you were available to go over them with me. If you're busy right now, I can take a rain check." Lynette's eyes drifted over to Dean and then back to Jayden.

 "No, no. I'm available now. Let's go to my office," replied Jayden.

She absentmindedly smoothed down the front of her dress and began to walk towards Lynette. She paused as a thought occurred to her and turned quickly, "Mr. Kennel, please feel free to roam about the building as you please. All the classrooms and teacher's lounge are available to you. If you have any other questions, I'll be in my office."

Dean smiled, his eyes twinkling mischievously. "Thank you, Ms. McDaniel. I'll see you around. Ms. Summer, nice to meet you."

"Same to you, Mr. Kennel," Lynette said in a voice higher than normal. It was her flirty voice. She and Jayden had been friends long enough to know that. Jayden grabbed Lynette's elbow and steered her out the doorway. Lynette giggled.

 "Girl, the man is foiinneeeee."

 "Shh...shuttup. He'll hear you."

  Lynette laughed out loud this time. "Maybe I want him to hear me."

  "Lynette, please..."

 "What, girl? You can't have 'em all." With that Lynette sashayed down the hall towards Jayden's office leaving her staring at her back, dumbfounded. What did she mean by that? She didn't "have" Dean at all.

 

End Notes:

Who is Dean? Who is Jayden? Who are they together?

Just Friends by midnightlove
Author's Notes:

Dean tries to chip away at Jayden's wall.

Two weeks later...

Lumiere - Jersey City

Dean spent the rest of the week and even the week after, smiling. He couldn't help it. Everywhere he went, students and teachers grinned at him and it was contagious. All except one.

Jayden.

She avoided him like the plague. When he did see her they'd engage in brief, stiff conversation. He could tell that his bold come on earlier last week had made her a nervous wreck. That could only mean one thing. She might like him, too. If only he could get her to sit or stand still for more than ten seconds, he could probably ask her out on a date. Dean smiled harder. Did he love the thrill of a chase? Of course, he did. He was his father's son - a man who went after what he wanted no matter the cost. But more than that, Dean had a streak for breaking the rules. He was a "shoot first, ask questions later" kind of guy. He knew that employer/employee relationships were frowned upon, but he also knew that Jayden didn't technically work for Kennel Corps. No harm, no foul right?

Besides what his dad didn't know certainly wouldn't hurt him.

Dean wasn't interested in a serious or long term relationship, and by the way Jayden worked she didn't seem to want one either. Or maybe she had a man? Dean wasn't sure, but he was desperate to find out. Why? Because everything about her fascinated him and because beneath the veneer of cool professionalism he could sense that there was something magical and uninhibited there. She was so in control of everything.

The planner.

The rule enforcer.

He wanted to be the one to make her break her own rules.

Dean watched her in the pale glow of her office lamp

Lumiere - Jersey City

Jayden's office

Dean watched her in the pale glow of her office lamp. Her faced scrunched in concentration as she bit down on a pen top, her full lips briefly closing around the top. Slowly she toyed with the pen top in her mouth, biting and releasing. Sensual thoughts arrested Dean until he shook his head to clear them. Her locks fell curly around her face past her shoulders in slight disarray. She flipped the page and her face relaxed as she smiled. It was an easy smile. One he'd seen her give freely to the students here at Lumiere, but never quite to him. Nevertheless, Dean had to admit - she was incredibly beautiful.

Dean broke the silence. "Do you stay late this often?"

Jayden looked up from her desk quickly, placed a hand at the nape of her neck and sighed.

"What are you still doing here? You nearly scared me to death," she began adjusting papers on her desk.

Dean shifted from one foot to the other. He wanted to appear cool, but inside he felt nothing but. Fuck, did she intimidate him. "Sorry about that. I was...uh...waiting for you actually."

Her eyes squinted in confusion. "For what? Is there something I forgot to give you?"

"No...it's just that...we haven't had a chance to talk since I got here and I was wondering if I could take you out for drinks and catch up."

"For drinks, huh..." She looked at her watch, then at the papers on her desk. She sighed again.

"You know I don't..."

"I won't take no for an answer. You've been working very hard this past week. It's a Friday night and it's only 8:00pm. Let's go paint the town red," Dean smirked making a grand gesture with his arms.

It was true. Jayden had been working hard. Lumiere opened it's doors to children as early as 3pm and would see the last child out by 6:30. The staff would leave shortly after leaving a nearly vacant building around 7:00. The exception was Jayden. She'd stay well past that time locked away in her office devising and revising her master plan. There were so many nights Dean lingered around the exit wondering if it was safe to just leave her in the building alone. However, he learned quickly that there was another person in the building that genuinely cared for her safety as well - Jaxx. The burly man sat outside in his truck smoking a cigarette. When Dean asked him why he wasn't headed home. Jaxx merely nodded his head toward the only room with a light on in the building and Dean understood.

Jayden smiled. A good sign.  

"I wasn't going to say no..." she tried to explain but was cut off by an eager Dean.

"Great, so we'll take your car?"

This puzzled Jayden. Why on earth would he think it would be okay to keep his car here over night? She reasoned that he was naive about the status of the neighborhood and would have to enlighten him soon enough. She asked the obvious question anyways, "And leave your car here?"

"I didn't come in with my car today," he spoke matter of factly.

Her eyes were puzzled. He'd thrown her for a loop again. "Wait, what? How did you come in today?"

"I took the bus." Dean shrugged like it was no big deal. Truth be told, he wanted to impress her with his savvy. Jayden stared at him dumbfounded.

"Took the bus?"

"That's what I said." He grinned. "I mean, I hear that it's the cheapest way to travel."

Jayden continued to stare at him incredulously. Dean thought he was being impressive, but Jayden thought it irritating. His smugness ate at her, but she wouldn't admit it aloud. Not at the risk of pissing of her greatest benefactor.

"Really? Hmph, " she responded simply. Jayden rose from the desk and began organizing the papers into a pile. This allowed Dean to get a full look at her outfit and he decided then that he loved the way she dressed - always a bit conservative with a dash of sexy. Today, she wore a silk blouse which was pinched at her waist by a large, ornate belt. Her pencil skirt outlined the curves of her delicate hips and her legs, well...her legs went on for days.

"I'm impressed," Jayden said, breaking into Dean's shameless ogling. She still hadn't looked up at him. He moved closer and began fiddling with trinkets near her desk. There were photos everywhere. He gazed at them thoughtfully, "What, you didn't think a white boy like me could make it here on public transportation?" She paused and looked up at him warily.

Straightening, she replied bluntly, "Yes, exactly."

"Ouch." Dean feigned an injured look. Yet, even he was aware at how much his life style had already begun to change by being at Lumiere. For the past few days he'd watch carefully how the students communicated with one another, how they traveled, and it had inspired him to try harder to relate.

Thus, given his newfound inspiration, it seemed like a "no brainer" for Dean to temporarily move into the newly renovated condominiums in downtown, Jersey City. His father also had a hand in real estate and made it so that Dean could live there for next to nothing while he worked on the "Lumiere Project."

And yet the more time he spent with the students, especially the group of boys he now played basketball with each afternoon, the more Dean realized that he didn't want to just observe the students. He also wanted to get involved with their learning. Already he discovered he had a knack for it. But first he knew that they needed a better facility and with his new found inspiration he had already begun to mock up an alternate business plan for Lumiere. One he hoped he would get to speak to Jayden about if she'd give him a chance.

Jayden continued un-phased, "Have you ever taken public transportation before?" Dean paused, thinking. She got him there.

"Uh, sure. I might have taken a bus once or twice in my life," he lied.  In truth, he was sure he looked like an idiot trying to take the bus this morning. More than once he fought the urge to simply call an uber, but he was determined to push himself out of his own comfort zone.

She continued to watch him, her eyes critical. She murmured, "mmhmm" and Dean didn't miss the judgment.

"Well, I'm glad you got here safely. If you chose to continue to ride the bus here you might want to invest in a monthly bus pass." She looked back down at her desk her, wandering hands made sure everything was shut off for the night. She then grabbed her small blazer.

"Yeah, thanks. I might just do that."

"Good." She didn't look up. "Alright, let's go." She swept around the desk and passed him, heading towards the light switch. He followed her dutifully, much like he had done the past two weeks trying to get a feel for the place. They took a back staircase to the parking lot in silence.

"Oh hey!" Dean broke the tense silence. "I know parking can be a bitch around Grove. You can park at my apartment if you want."

Jayden's steps faltered ahead of Dean. She slowly made her way around the driver side and peered at him over the roof of the car. "You live in Jersey City?" she asked with a quirk of her eyebrow.

"Uh, yeah," Dean admitted scratching his head. Why did he feel so uncomfortable saying it? "It was just easier, ya know? Not having to commute across states to get here everyday."

"I see," she murmured. "And let me guess...you live in one of those new condos downtown, too. What is it, company owned?"

Well, damn. Was he that predictable? "Something like that," Dean spoke strongly, not willing to be put off by the slight mockery in her tone. "Is there a problem here, Jayden?"

She ignored the question, her head disappeared into the car. Dean sighed as he stood staring over the roof. Was there anything he could say that would please this woman? It seemed as though she was always ready to jump down his throat when he mentioned anything about his life. The narcissistic in him recognized her subtle verbal assaults on him as a defense mechanism against, perhaps, her own feelings for him. Yet, the more practical side of Dean felt as if she had an actual grudge against him. Whether it was personal or business-related, he wasn't sure. It was something he'd have to discover tonight - with a few drinks. Until then, he'd play it cool as per usual.

When he got into the car, Jayden had already turned on the car radio to the city's most popular hip hop and R&B station, Hot 97. After waving goodbye to Jaxx, they drove downtown, for the most part, in silence until Dean's boisterous voice broke out into song when Drake's "Find Your Love" came on.

South House was a pretty fancy spot in downtown JC and on a Friday night it seemed particularly livelySouth House- Jersey City

South House was a pretty fancy spot in downtown JC and on a Friday night it seemed particularly lively. People milled about, many still in their work clothes so Jayden and Dean didn't feel out of place. When Dean entered the bar, the bartender shouted him over, "Ayo, DK. How's it hangin'?"

"Dude, life's good I can't complain. Out of work, ready to play." Jayden stared at the interaction. How was it possible that in two weeks he could be on buddy terms with the South House bartender? Who was this guy? She looked at Dean who had already loosened his tie. He slapped his hands on top of the bar and said, "You already know what I want."

"Indeed, my friend. Gotta brewski coming your way in five."

"Thank you so, and hey, anything for my lady friend here."

"Oh, what a beauty. Have I seen you around here before?" Jayden blushed and shook her head no.

"I would've remembered the face. So what'll it be little lady?"

"Whiskey Ginger, please."

"A lady after my own heart. Coming right up!" Jayden decided that she liked the carefree energetic feel of South house. Within five minutes, the bartender lived up to his promise and had their drinks in front. Dean's grabbed the large pint of dark liquor foaming at the brim and took a hearty swig. He set the large cup down.

"So..." he smiled playfully, bumping her with his hip. She found the gesture too familiar but brushed it off.

"So...you've been here before," Jayden replied. Dean smiled and loosened his tie a bit. Jayden's eyes flickered to the bob in his adam's apple and down to the flesh now revealed.

"A few times. I'm an explorer if you haven't been able to tell." Dean smiled wryly to himself. She thought that she knew everything about him, but, then again, she had the advantage of knowing his past and having him in her territory. But out here, in a social setting, Dean felt like he had the upper hand. She knew nothing of this Dean - unbuttoned and uninhibited. 

"So I've noticed." Jayden took a sip of her drink. Sweet with a hint of spice. She didn't want to know, but she asked anyways. Be polite. "So how's the new pad?"

"It's great. Really top notch. A little too ritzy for my taste though. I hardly ever see my neighbors. The area's very private."

Jayden barely responded with a head nod. She continued to sip on her whiskey ginger. Slowly, but surely, she could feel the tension of the day's work draining from her body. She began to relax more and take in the sights and sounds of the bar.

Dean cleared his throat. "So, tell me about yourself."

Jayden laughed at the question. He didn't know anything. 

Dean smiled, which, in turn, revealed a dimpled cheek. "What's so funny about that?"

Jayden, still staring at the adorable facial feature, brought the glass of whiskey to her lips before she spoke. She savored the slight prickly sensation of the carbonated drink sliding down her throat. 

"Looks like somebody isn't caught up on his reading," she mused, sipping away at her drink. Dean stared at her in bewilderment.

"Your project portfolio? The one I worked so hard to craft." She clarified. "It doesn't just have specs on the program. It has a detailed profile of my life. Jayden Harper McDaniel..." she began to recite, but was interrupted.

"...Age 26. Born and raised on the Westside of Jersey City. Top of her class at the Jefferson School blah blah blah. Yeah, I know all of that stuff. I want to know about the Jayden that isn't on paper. You know, the parts you left out."

Well, damn, Jayden thought. Dean had managed to throw her off and she could tell that he knew by the stupid smirk on his face. Straightening her back, she placed her now empty cup onto the counter. The bartender appeared like magic. "Another?" Jayden quickly nodded and brought her attention back to Dean.

Play it cool, she told herself. "I see," she replied tersely. "Well, for me to divulge that type of information wouldn't be very professional now would it?"

Dean laughed out loud which seemed to annoy Jayden even more. Dean noticed. "Aw don't get your panties in a bunch, sweetheart. Does it look like we're in a professional setting?"

Jayden didn't reply. She took a hearty swig of her new drink. Her silence would not deter Dean. "Aw come on. If we're going to work together, we have to get to know each other. Wouldn't you agree?"

He did have a point, Jayden thought miserably. But she didn't want to get to know this...this charming man before her. She wanted to keep the assumptions she had about him so that that they would be true. Learning more wouldn't only risk damage to her carefully built walls - the iron wall, her fortress from the cruel world in which she'd received her education. Jayden believed that a large part of her success came from the guard she'd built around herself against men like him. 

Undeterred, Dean continued, "Here I'll start. I'm Dean and, more than anything in the world, I love animals. Yes, I love animals more than I love lacrosse!"

This caused Jayden to unwillingly chuckle.

"When I was younger, I wanted to be a veterinarian and then a marine biologist. You could only imagine how that made my dad feel. 'Dean, we eat fish. We don't play with them. Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. That's what I'm trying to do here son.' Needless to say, my dad missed the point, but I love my dad and I wanted to please him. So here I am...twenty some odd years later...helping launch a project with probably the most beautiful woman I've seen in a while. I guess I can thank my dad for something."

Jayden nearly choked on her drink. "I'm sorry," she coughed. Dean immediately moved closer filling Jayden's space with his woodsy scent. He placed a large hand in the middle of her back and lightly patted it.

"No, don't apologize! Are you alright?" Dean's eyes held genuine concern.

Placing a hand on her chest while the other rested gently on his forearm, Jayden recovered quickly. "I'm fine. That was just...unexpected."

"Which part? The fact that I wanted to be a marine biologist or the fact that you're beautiful," Dean joked.

Jayden stared at him pointedly and gave his arms a playful shove.

"Alright, alright. I'll cool it," Dean conceded as he threw his hands up in the air. The two fell in a comfortable silence. Dean seemed to be enjoying, what was now his second beer, while Jayden perused the bar. There was music playing on the other side in another room where there seemed to be a dance floor.

"Ahh, so I've learned at least one thing about you tonight." 

Jayden turned to him and cocked her head in curiosity.

Dean began to clarify. "I just saw you eyeing the dance floor. I bet you like to dance, don't you? Weren't you in Ms. Baker's Modern Class?"

Another shocker. It was a good thing, Jayden wasn't mid-sip. This time when she smiled at him, it was genuine. "You remember that?"

Dean chuckled and shrugged. "I remembered thinking all of the girls in that dance class were hot. You like to dance. You're hot...So I took a wild guess...."

Jayden laughed out loud and it was decided in that moment - Dean loved watching her laugh. It was the most natural thing in the world, the way her head always tilted back as she let go completely. Already, he could sense her spirit rising. Meanwhile all Jayden could think about was how incredibly disarming he was.

When she came down from her laughter, she noticed his intense stare. "What are you looking at? I got something on my face?"

"No, nothing...sorry. Beautiful things distract me..." Jayden felt herself warm at the compliment. Never had a white man come on to her so strongly before. This was new and she didn't know what to say. As always, Dean filled the silence.

"In a little while you're going to have to show me your moves," Dean quipped.

Jayden scoffed, "Yeah, maybe. Or you could show me your moves. I remember you were quite the dancer back at Jefferson as well."

"Ah, so you were checking me out in high school," Dean responded smugly. He then finished the rest of his drink and signaled for another.

"No. You were just...very noticeable...in a good way." The side of her lip slipped up into a smirk; she promptly polished the remainder of drink as well.

"Well, I got some new moves now. I'm older and better. Those juvenile dance moves have been put to rest," Dean challenged.

"I can't wait to see that," Jayden replied haughtily. She cut her eyes at him over the rim of her fresh new drink.

It was Dean's turn to be stumped. Did she just flirt back? No, that can't be right, Dean mused. He decided to change subjects - at least to keep her talking. She was being more communicative now. His plan was working.

"Yeah, well, at Jefferson, I seem to remember you all over the place. How many positions did you hold in school?"

She chuckled. "A lot. You know what they say, an idle mind is the devil's playground. I had to stay busy."

"I can understand that, but I feel like you work too hard. You gotta relax and enjoy life," Dean responded casually. And just like that Jayden felt her walls snap back into place. How many times had she heard this phrase before?

Jayden, calm down.
        Jayden you need to relax.
Stop being so stuck up.
             Get a life.

"Some people, like myself, can't afford that luxury..." she snapped. She downed the rest of her drink.

She watched as Dean took another long swig of his drink. Up until that moment, he'd worn a lazy smile while they'd been in the bar, his disposition cheery as usual. Yet, now when he looked over at Jayden his smile was gone and his eyes were serious. He set his drink down.

"Look, I get it. I know when you look at me you see some rich white kid who's had an easy life. He's working at his daddy's firm because it's easy. Well, that kid's not me. You got some got kind of grudge against me and you don't even know what I'm about," he accused.

Jayden was taken aback by his abrupt rant but was glad he brought the subject up. She was tired of dancing around the topic: he needed to know where she stood so they could stop this foolish game of "let's be friends".

"Really? Because it sounds like you've described exactly what you're about. You haven't said anything that isn't true. I mean come on. Do you even know why you're here? Do you even know what Lumiere is really about aside from your silly reports? Do you even care? This is just another job assignment for you. You...you... probably don't even like your job. You'd rather be on the beach somewhere, playing 'sweet lax' with your 'bros'." She mimicked a bro-like gesture with one hand and shook it in his face.

Dean didn't understand how they'd gotten to this place so quickly. His plan had been to loosen her up and get to know her better. He'd wanted to understand why she was so closed off from..him. He didn't expect for her feelings to be so explosive and he didn't expect to feel...hurt. 

"Wow, you're so rude. You know that?"

"Don't you want to call me something else?" Like Bitch.

"I'm not an asshole like you."

"My heart." Jayden grabbed at her chest feigning a heart attack at his words.

"Fuck this." Dean finished his drink and called for a shot. The bartender, who'd been silently observing the tense conversation, complied immediately. Taking back the shot, Dean moved towards the dance floor but not before turning around and spitting back:

"For your information, nobody plays lax on the beach!"  He stalked off.  

"I hope he doesn't think he's going to just leave me here by myself." Jayden muttered to herself, huffing. She eyed the bartender who winked at her. It was the glint in his eye that made the stark realization fall upon her: she just shat on the son of the man who had promised to pay her bills for the next 5 years.

What the fuck was I thinking? Jayden scrambled from the bar stool after Dean trying to remember how many drinks she'd had. It was the only explanation for how loose her tongue had gotten.

She headed towards the dance area and walked in as they began to play "Letting Go" by Sean Kingston.

Jayden, on a mission to find Dean and apologize, frantically pushed aside bodies as she moved closer towards the center of the dance floor; she squeezed in between sweaty bodies. However, with the lure of the music coupled with the intoxicating effects of the amber liquid now coursing through her bloodstream, she couldn't help but allow her body to be swept away by the smooth reggae beats. As bodies pushed and pulled around her, she, too, felt her body swaying. Her work skirt began to ride up her thighs. The top three buttons of her sheer blouse came undone and she tugged at her locks until they came tumbling down her shoulders. She ran her hands through them feeling the light sheen of perspiration forming upon her head. Heat surrounded her - her quest to find Dean obliterated by the atmosphere. 

Dean saw Jayden enter and knew that she was looking for him. He bet she couldn't stand being walked away from. Dean snorted. He watched her walk across the hazy room, searching, until she stopped near the center and began dancing by herself. Brilliant colors of strobe lights danced around her and Dean could see that her hair had come undone, her skirt had ridden up her hips, and her sheer blouse stuck close to her skin outlining the fullness of her breasts. Dean felt the lower half of his body tighten. His abs clenched. Her body was magnificent. He was annoyed with her and her judgmental attitude, but the pull to dance with her and feel that body close to his overrode his annoyance. Leaving his post on the other side of the room, he walked straight towards her. His intentions - to grab her close before some other shmuck could.

Jayden danced that way through the majority of the song until she felt someone grab her by the waist. Her back molded against a taut chest. The stranger's strong arms engulfed her. They rocked together. Jayden, liberated by the drinks in her system, moved shamefully against the stranger. She arched her back and wound her hips like she'd seen done in the music videos. She rolled back against the stranger's chest and he murmured his approval in her ear.

"Damn girl, you're like an alley cat." Jayden laughed out loud. She recognized the voice as Dean's and it didn't matter. Her anger, her anxiety, her annoyance; it fled the moment she began to dance. In fact, she was impressed at how well he moved. She turned in his arms to face him and found herself lost in his sleepy brown eyes.

"You're not mad at me?" She asked grinning mischievously.

"Eh, you're tipsy so you get a pass. Alcohol makes girls say the craziest things."

"Well, what if I meant everything I said? You know what they say, 'drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.'"

"Very true. In that case, we'll have an interesting conversation in the morning. So let's enjoy the night. Plus, you're too cute to be mad at right now." He pulled her closer. Jayden felt bold enough to flirt back this time.

"Yeah? Well you're not too bad yourself, white boy." She whispered the last part as their faces came closer together. Jayden bit her lip. The music shifted and the song, "Dougie" came on.

"OH!" Jayden pushed away and immediately began to rock to the catchy beat.

"Let me see what you got, Jay." Jayden loved the way her nickname rolled off his tongue. He said it like they were old friends.

"Nah, playa. Let me see these new moves of yours," she joked, jabbing him playfully in the ribs. Dean needed no further prompting. Slowly, he circled Jayden as if she were his prey. Jayden giggled as he touched his forehead to hers then moved away into the dance.

"They be like Smooth..." the song began and Dean moved like he'd known the dance his entire life. Languid and smooth, his body dipped as he hands moved about his head as if he were brushing his curls. Soon the dance floored opened up to encircle him. Two people danced in the middle of the circle, Dean and a young black male whom the crowd had also deemed his Dougie superior. The two didn't appear to be battling; their Dougie styles seemed to complement each other and they worked off each other's moves pleasing the crowd. Jayden had also moved to the side. She watched Dean work, her hands clasped together. She was more than impressed. Towards the end of the song, the circle began to fill again and Jayden watched as a vivacious black woman pushed herself onto Dean and began grinding her behind on his pelvis. Sweat poured down the woman's face as she moved vigorously. Jayden eyes caught Dean's and he seemed amused. He lifted his hands in mock surrender and held on tight. After a few moments, he slid away politely, excusing himself, and walked towards Jayden. He pulled her to him.

"Now where were we?" He leaned in as if to kiss her. Her breath caught.

"Nope." She pressed a finger to his lips. "That would be unprofessional." Dean laughed out loud and moved his hand towards Jayden's hair. Taking a lock gently and squeezing it between his fingertips, he playfully patted her nose with it.

"No one has to know. It could be our little secret."

Jayden playfully pushed against his chest.

"I would know," Jayden tried to focus on her words but she was heady from the heat, the liquor coursing through her bloodstream and his touch. "You know, I try to be the most professi-"

Dean anchored her neck with a gentle caress of his hand as he drank from her lips. He felt her sigh and open up to him. He slipped his tongue in her mouth and explored the warm, velvet exterior within. She wound her arms around his neck, her fingers sliding through his silky brown curls. Jayden sucked gently on his tongue and his hand slid from her neck down to her back pulling her even closer. Jayden slipped Dean's lower lip in her mouth and bit down softly. She knew that she wasn't behaving properly, but it felt so good especially as he hands slid down her back to her backside gripping them firmly and giving it a light squeeze. Damn, this boy could work with his hands.

She didn't realize it, but as they kissed Dean had craftily maneuvered their bodies to the far end of the dance floor. The area was dark and there was a booth where people could sit if they were tired. Jayden felt her backside bump against the table's edge. That broke the kiss, if only to allow them air to breath. Dean moved slightly between and was soon devouring her mouth again. This time he grew bolder. His left hand left her neck to slide down and cup a breast. He palmed it in his large hand and gave it a light squeeze. Jayden whimpered in his mouth and wrapped her arms around his waist. She pulled him closer but the tightness of her skirt wouldn't allow for it. It's probably for the best, Jayden thought as Dean's lips left a blazing trail from her lips to her neck. Now that she could breath, her thoughts wandered.

This would be a funny story in the morning. Wait Mari hears that I...Mari?...Mari! What would she think if she saw her making out with Dean after the conversation that they'd had? She'd think that she was hypocrite.  But everything felt so good, his mouth, his hands...

No! She could not lose control this way.

Jayden broke off the kiss but Dean leaned in again, his lips murmuring something she couldn't hear. She pulled out of his arms, "Dean, no!" His eyes flew open in alarm. He gave her a bewildered look, "Is something wrong?"

"Yes, everything is wrong, this..." She looked around them, at the gyrating bodies, suddenly feeling lost. The room felt like it was spinning. "I-I...need to clear my head. Excuse me."

Jayden pushed him off of her and didn't bother to fix her clothing as she rushed through the crowd. She walked brusquely towards the exit sign and stepped outside. The cool air felt glorious on her skin and sobering to her mind. Why did she feel like she needed a cigarette? She didn't smoke. She shrugged her shoulders and leaned against the brick wall of the bar, staring into space. Memories of high school flooded through her mind. Flashes of manicured lawns, white faces, dorm rooms, long elegant hallways, smiles...sickening smiles, the faces in her mind became clown-like. She felt bile rising in her throat and she ran to the nearest thrash can and threw up the contents within her stomach. That was the first time she had ever gotten sick after drinking. She had the distinct feeling that it wasn't simply the alcohol that had brought her to this place either.

"Fuck!" She spat, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. "What are you doing, Jayden?" She scolded herself. On steadier feet she walked back to the doorway from which she exited. As she grabbed the door knob, it opened and Dean blocked the doorway a pained look on his face. Her small blazer gripped tightly in his hand.

"Hey, are you alright?" His eyes searched her face. "I was looking for you out front... I was afraid you drunkenly ran off with another man." He let out a weak laugh raking a hand through his hair. Jayden didn't smile. She took in his tousled hair and pink lips. They were a lot pinker and fuller because of their kissing.

"Look, I'm ready to head back now if that's okay with you."

"Yeah, sure, sure. Do you have everything?"

"I do now." She grabbed the blazer out of his hand but he moved quickly to help her put it on, his fingers lingering on her collar. Jayden ignored the tingling in her abdomen.

Jayden spoke, "Look...about what happened in there."

"Hey, we don't have to talk about it right now. Let's just get to my place, maybe grab a bottle of water and then you can get your car, okay?" Jayden conceded with a sigh.

"Fine. But you better keep your hands to yourself." Even though she wished he wouldn't.

Dean held his hands up. "Scout's honor."

Quietly, the two walked down the street towards the direction of the bright condominiums. The streets were well lit and all seemed calm except for the riot in Jayden's mind.

"Something wrong?" Dean asked. Jayden looked over to find Dean staring at her intently.

"I'm fine."

"Well, it's just that you were over there shaking your head..."

"Look, Dean. I'm cool. Alright. Just got a lot on my mind. Okay?"

"Okay." They walked a few more beats in silence. "You were thinking about our make-out sesh weren't you?"

"What?" Jayden turned quickly, her arms flailing. Dean looked at her, his face turning red. He looked as though he were about to erupt in laughter. Jayden felt her cheeks flush. Embarrassment flooded through her and she wanted to kick something. For the moment, she released an exasperated laugh herself. Dean took his cue and let out a belly laugh. He grabbed the sides of Jayden's arms and pulled her into a hug.

"Come here. You're such a worry wart you know that? I know you won't tell me what you think so I'll tell you what I think: What happened in there was nothing short of amazing. I expected to come out tonight, grab a few drinks and get to know each other. Chip away at that wall that seems to be between us. I didn't expect to...for us to...you know."

"There's nothing go-"

"And I know that there's a wall, both professional and personal. I'm willing to respect the professional, for sure, but I need to understand why there's a personal grudge here." Jayden sighed, but she leaned into Dean for a bit, savoring his warmth.

He could have tonight, she thought. But tomorrow, things will be exactly as they were.

End Notes:

Will it, though?

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3443