Delphine by DarkandLovely
Summary:

She was once everything to him. When he lost her, he'd nearly destroyed his world and all in it. Until he met her again....all over again. 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Erotica, Fantasy, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Character Death, Dark Fic, Graphic Violence, Original Characters, Sexual Content , Strong Sexual Content , Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6230 Read: 3929 Published: June 19 2020 Updated: November 14 2020

1. foreward by DarkandLovely

2. one. by DarkandLovely

3. two. by DarkandLovely

foreward by DarkandLovely

This will be something different, something I’ve never explored before. 

 

A fantasy type thang with fae? Dragons? Water nymphs? Yeah all of that? 

 

 

It’ll mostly take place in 2020 but flip backs to ancient China in parts. 

 

Okay so I have no qualms in admitting that Lay Zhang aka Zhang Yixing aka the sheep of EXO-M is still a beautiful individual. It's been God knows how many years since I've lsitened, supported and even partook in EXO's activities (or kpop in general) for that matter. I really did enjoy EXO-M side more than EXO-K. I'm so outdated that I don't even know if they even have those sub groups anymore. I've heard that the term exotics was changed to exo-l lol. THAT's how disconnected I am lol. Anyway, I stumbled across Lay's video for LIT and I was mind-blown. Y'all hear me? MIND-BLOWN. Yixing was a beautiful ass man THEN (when y'all was calling him cute and innocent and all that ish LOL) and he's grown into an even sexier one now (NOW y'all wanna marry him and have his babies LOL). 

Yixing is the only visual that fits for me when it comes to this story. Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha serving as second inspiration. (who is still bae by the way ion care fight me he is my anime boyfriend) ANYWHOO LOL. The disclaimer that this story and use of Zhang Yixing as main visual is in no way shape of form related to or inspired by EXO, EXO-M or Kpop has its place here. 'Xing's just a gorgeous man who fits. That's it and that's all. hehe. Enjoy the teasers loves~ 

 

 

 

    Wei Mingyu once ruled over great lands. Kings from territories far and near feared the son of the Great Elven Tyrant Wei Boqin. Born of dragon’s blood and that of high elves, his kingdom spanned far beyond the eye could see. Great in both strength and majesty, Mingyu favored victoriously against usurps, coups and territorial wars. Engaged to marry a high born elf by the name of Eolande he is summoned by a Lord of a territory west of his castle. There he meets with the leader of the small township, as he pleads him not to destroy his lands, his people and his legacy. His daughter, an earth fairy named Delphine makes her presence known and he finds he cannot forget her. She is mystifying, beautiful and headstrong akin to Eolande. But what separates her from the elven royal is her compassion, humility and kindheartedness. 

    He, against his will it seems, falls in love with the fairy and determines to have her no matter what consequence he faces. But the price was one that he hadn’t bargained, prepared or asked for. Delphine is murdered in cold blood without so much as a warning and it damn near destroys him. He exists as dead throughout the millenia, having struggled to adapt to the rapidly changing world and the humans thereof. 

    All of it changes when once again for the second time in his life his world is turned upside down by a woman. A woman who looks the spitting image of Delphine. His heart having never completely healed begins to beat again and he develops a near obsession with the human woman. 

 

**

 

    Isolde Jenkins never questioned where she got her name from or why. She just knew that she was always either made fun of or crowed with kids wanting to hang with ‘the girl with the weird name’. She also never questioned why she always had an obsession with China for that matter. Ever since she was a little girl, she had been drawn to the country. When the young woman finally reached age, she decided to travel and study abroad there for a year. Not knowing how to explain the feeling of home that resounds in her chest, she is enamored by everything she sees, touches, hears, and tastes. 

    She finds work at a local coffee shop on work study and one evening a large intimidating man comes in. Possessed with an otherworldly and ethereal beauty, the strangest thing happens when the sunlight meets his deep chestnut eyes. A flash of molten gold glosses over them. It is the first time she meets him but it definitely is not the last and over the course of a year, things between the two ‘strangers’ take an unexpected turn. She finds herself surrounded by mystical beings that most definitely are not supposed to exist. And this so called man asks her to do the unthinkable. Help him fight against these creatures and save what he calls 'mankind'. 

 

Yixing Zhang as Wei Mingyu 

 

Katiana Bonifacio as Delphine/Isolde

(insta: kxtbonifacio) 

 

 

 

 

TEASER ONE: 

 

    “You there.” Deep set eyes lifted and they seemed to set his blood on fire. The little nymph dared to challenge him within her liquid black depths, defiance set in the purse of her full lips. 

    “Elf.” She replied dismissively and his charge commander raised his hand as if to strike her. But it was his hand that stopped him. 

    “Desist. Now.” Her inky gaze met his gold and a slow calculating smirk drifted up onto his face. 

    “Leave me with the woman.”

    “Will you punish her great lord?”

    “Most severely.” Satisfied with his answer, members of his army spat at her before traveling on a ways away from them.  

    “You do not fear me.” He spoke this matter of factly, his tone suggesting surprise and perhaps… pleasure at that fact. 

    “Should I?” She asked, raising her chin up at him again. Smirk growing deeper by the minute, he advanced upon her in a flash, a golden mist containing his essence surrounding her like a miasma. Taking hold of her face, he squeezed her jaw, just hard enough to silence her tongue. 

    “It would be wise to do so little nymph.”

    “I am no nymph.”

    “Then?”

    “I belong to the Earthian Fae. These are my lands you trespass on.”

    “Trespass upon?”

    “Yes. You may not have any respect for us lowborn but these are my people and I will not have you destroy them.” At that, he clucked his tongue. 

    “So I have a lowborn princess in my hands.”

    “And I have a stuffy ass of a highborn in my sight.” His pleasure at her defiance grew and the power in which his miasma enclosed around her was enough to suffocate and crush any other. And yet…yet she did not budge. She did not fall to her knees, crippled in pain and beg his forgiveness for her offense. No, she simply glared at him with those lovely ink filled eyes with hatred and disgust. To say that she was beautiful was an understatement. Her ochre skin glistened with what appeared to be morning dew drops and it was aplenty, covering the whole of her lush female body. An elegant bridge tapered down to an enchanting little button of a nose. Succulent lips puckered up in his direction and the color dwelling there reminded him of dusty rose petals. 

    “My my, you are quite the little fairy aren’t you?” She attempted to yank her face away but he only brought it closer to him, making her lift on her tip toes. 

    “Do your people share the same sentiment as you? That it be acceptable to talk to a highborn in this manner? Have you no fear of what may happen to you should I bring word of this back to my Father?” 

    “Do with it what you will, dracgna, but I stand my ground.” Chuckling, he pushed her away from him, almond shaped eyes filled now with molten gold glee. 

    “This shall prove to be interesting indeed don’t you think fairy of Earthia?” 

    “Indeed dracgna.” 

 

 

TEASER TWO: 

 

    “Have you ever flown before Delphine?” Turning obsidian eyes onto the highborn Elven prince of the North, her lips pursed. 

    “I have no need. I have wings that produce no significant amount of wind.”

    “That’s not what I asked you.” Licking her teeth, she turned towards the tall brooding man. 

    “No. I have not.” Pleased with her answer, he dared to smile…even a little bit. 

    “Ah.”

    “Why do you frown?” She asked, taking in his distraught features… features that looked much better with joy in them she observed. In midsummer, he’d adopted a less stuffy attire, one she was sure those of his kind would not take too kindly to. He bared his entire trunk, drops of perspiration dotting along the shapely alabaster collarbone, defined chest and abdomen. He wore dark russet trousers and for the first time ever, she dared to look upon his feet as they welcomed the earth beneath them. 

    “Concern yourself with it not.”

    “You didn’t answer the question Mingyu.” The corner of his mouth twitched in a smile and he turned those gorgeous gold eyes onto her. 

    “I am displeased knowing that our time grows short.” 

    “So you’ve come to like this little fairy hm?” Finally showing his teeth, he laughed quietly. 

    “Indeed. However much of a chit she is, I have come to enjoy her company.” 

    “And imagine that… considering how we met.”

    “Hm.” Things grew comfortably quiet between them before she turned to face him. 

    “Well?”

    “Well what?”

    “Are you going to take me flying or were you just teasing me?”

    “Should I take you? Do you deserve such a reward?”

    “I should say so. After all I have done to prevent war with other Earthian tribes. It’s the least you can do.” Smirking now, he advanced upon her and took her by the waist, drawing her breath. 

    “If you’ll be grateful and mind your tongue then perhaps I will.” Lifting her petite arms, she wrapped them around his neck. 

    “I shall dracgna.”

    “Then we shall fly.” To her amazement, massive wings began to sprout from his back, the tops cerulean blue, fading to azul, purple and lastly a vibrant magenta at the tips. She couldn’t contain her shock and her mouth dropped open. 

    “Surely you’ve seen wings before caelia.”  

    “None such as these.” 

    “Come.” He tightened his hold on her waist and with a gentle flutter, they were off of the ground. She gasped loudly, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly. 

    “I will not let you fall little one.” He assured as he continued to ascend, turning their forms with great control and ease. 

    “Look upon your homeland.” She hadn’t realized that she had squeezed her eyes shut, face pressed against the juncture between his neck and shoulder. Taking a shaky breath, she turned eyes downward and again her breath was taken. All around them below lush green, trees and flowers of every kind looked up at them. High above that they could see no fairy, her eyes traced the plenty of hills, plains and mountains, all clothed in varying degrees of fairy dusts according to tribe and creed. 

    “Gods…it’s…it’s beautiful.” Smiling down at her, he didn’t reply as he gave another gentle beat of his wings. 

    “If you have conquered your fear of height, I shall take you for a ride.” 

    “A ri-” His wings released a powerful gust of wind and they shot west as an arrow, straight and concentrated. A scream came up from her throat and he chuckled as he toyed with her anxiety, twisting and turning most cruelly before letting her body rest in his hands, hovering just above the water’s edge. His eyes took her in, resting so close to him. He could feel the pound of her heart through his fingertips that rested on her back. Her eyes were for the first time since he’d seen them clear, light seeming to part the black depths. Like a glassy sliver of moonlight, they looked up at him. 

    “Glide upon the waters if you wish.” He spoke quietly against her and she obliged, leaning her head back to tease the surface with her coils. A luminous yet soft smile danced on her lips, lips that summoned his. With a gentle flutter, he released a sprinkle of miasma around them, this time not gold but iridescent shimmers that glittered and shined upon her skin. She opened her eyes to the sight and smiled again, reaching up to tease his jawline with soft gentle fingertips. With one last push, they were back on land, slowly descending to the ground. 

    “Cast you a spell over me Mingyu?” 

    “There is no need for that caelia.”

    “Then what do you call this?” Once their feet touched the soft plush grass, he smiled fully, teeth showing and dimples appearing in his cheeks. 

    “A mutual exchange.” 

    “Of?” He didn’t speak as a group of translucent butterflies came from amongst the trees, no doubt drawn to her enticing aura. They fluttered around him, teasing his hair silky and white. Gorgeous magenta and azul elvin markings decorated his cheekbones. But Gods… his eyes…. liquid gold seemed to melt her as her army of butterflies continued their assault, coming to sit upon his shoulders, chest and the top of his head. He lifted a large warm hand to her cheek and took hold of it. Leaning down, he pressed his lips against hers, the pouty rose colored forms soft as the skin of roses. She felt her knees weaken and pressed a hand to his chest, where once a butterfly adorned the flesh. He said nothing still as he pulled away, just enough to inhale her scent, as maddening and potent as it was. 

    “Interests.” 

    “Interests…”

    “Yes. A never ending list that lie between you and I.” 

    “I imagine we must sort through them dracgna?” His eyes burned, drowned and intoxicated her and the press of his lips against hers again all but ruined her. His teeth gently bit into the deliciously supple flesh beneath him and she hummed her delight at his answer; lifting up onto her tip toes. Slowly, his wings enclosed about them, forming a cocoon around them. 

 

 

 

TEASER THREE (bonus) 

 

    He stared at her from across the room, eyes intense. She felt them cut into her but tried to ignore it…Clearing her throat, she smiled at some of the other customers before forcing herself to lift her gaze to the brooding man who sat in a secluded section of the cafe. This was the fifth time this week that he’d come in, asked for a large black coffee, no cream, no sugar, sat at that same table and stared at her for the evening.  

    “He’s doing it again.” Her co-worker Chunhua whispered in English. She’d lucked up and befriended the college student who like her wanted to learn another language and travel abroad… only Chunhua wanted to go to the States. 

    “He’s hot. What are you guys talking about?” Biyu put in her two cents, coming to wrap an arm around each of the girls, both shorter than her to her chagrin. 

    “He’s the mysterious silent type. That’s how most of the men here are Lihua.” Pursing her lips, she eyed him again, who in turn hadn’t yet taken his eyes off of her. 

    “He’s gorgeous… really. He looks like he could be a celebrity or something.” 

    “Yeah his skin is so clear and bright. I bet you he only dates girls with good skin.”

    “And money. He reeks of money.”

    “Does he?” She asked, blinking at the two women who damn near drooled over the stranger. 

    “But of course.”

    “His lips look so soft and kissable.”

    “Chunhua!”

    “What! You know you’re thinking it too!” 

    “Actually I wasn’t but okay…”

    “He obviously has eyes for you. Sometimes, we women must make the first move mèimei.” Shoving her towards the exit door of the bar, Biyu grinned. 

    “Jiějiě!”

    “Go. Say hi at least.” Pouting severely at Chunhua’s grin and Biyu’s cheshire smile, she sucked her teeth and slowly made her way towards him…shoulders folded over and stiff. 

    “Staighten up!” Chunhua mouthed, with a thumbs up. Lifting up her back, she took a slow deep breath. 

    “Ah…Sir?” He had lowered his eyes for a moment to drink his coffee but at her arrival, he lifted them, intense and dark over the rim of the cup. 

    “D-Did you want a refill?” 

    “Yes.” Widening her eyes at his surprisingly pleasant baritone and English, she gripped the sterling silver pot of steaming coffee. 

    “Please.” Though he tried to keep his voice gentle, he couldn’t erase the power it radiated and its authority demanded his request fulfilled immediately. She cleared her throat and lifted the pot, filling his cup up. She bristled at an attempt at a smile from him. His face was entirely too stiff and it looked like it hurt him to move his lips. Which speaking of lips… did look soft and rosy, plump and supple and God she was starting to sound like Biyu jiějiě…

    “Um…is there anything else I can get you Mr…”

    “Wei. Mr. Wei. And no. Nothing.” Mr. Wei… so that was his name. 

    “O-Okay…”

    “Thank you..Linhua?” He had glanced down at her name tag. Feeling her cheeks grow warm she nodded. His eyes drew away from her chest and locked hers in a trance. 

    “Pretty. Fitting.” 

    “Thanks.” Again, he made an attempt to smile and failed and she laughed, not able to control it. For the first time ever, his normally gloomy moody gaze widened a tad and his lips parted slightly. 

    “S-Sorry. If you need anything else, please let me know. We thank you for your business.” He didn’t say anything else as she bowed her head and scurried away from him. Instead, his fingers began to glide across the rim of his cup, a cup that from her touch smelled like her. Smelled just like Delphine.

End Notes:

A/N: WHAT Y'ALL THINK? This is so far out of my realm I have NO idea what I"m doing just so y'all KNOW Lol. OMG. lol. I like it so far personally! Tell me what y'all thankin! 

D&L

one. by DarkandLovely
Author's Notes:

 

 

one. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The smell of fresh rain wafted across his nostrils and the coolness of the air soon followed. Skin prickling in tiny little raised bumps, he turned towards warmth in the form of a female body. The soft cheeks of a derriere pressed into his groin and smooth satiny skin teased his fingers. Opening his eyes slowly, they fell upon dark moist hair, thick and dewy with the morning droplets. Small delicate wings folded up against a mahogany back, the ends tickled his stomach. The aroma dwelling on her flesh was decadent; the mist of humidity, well spent passion and her uniquely earthy fragrance that lay nestled between her feminine folds. It more than whet his appetite and he found himself impaling his bottom lip with a tooth or two. How much of a beast was he he wondered…that he never tired of her taste or the pleasure she gave him? An exhausted yet humored laugh suddenly drifted up from the tempting little nymph, rich soft and somewhat throaty from slumber.

    “No more a beast than I dracgna.” Feeling himself smile, his teeth sunk into his lips again at the luscious rear that deliciously teased his awakening shaft. 

    “What makes you one such as I caelia?” He teased back, lips coming to kiss her on the jaw. Turning, those gorgeous black eyes met his. 

    “You’re not the only one who hungers. I too have an appetite. Thanks to you.” Reaching out to slip small dainty fingers into his hair, she leaned up to press her soft fleshy lips against his. At once she’d taken hold of him body and soul. Gentle kisses borne of morning rain and quiet stillness soon grew wetter and more striking as their tongues played against one another. Be ashamed of it not my love. For I myself feel none. How his heart filled with peace. The powerfully emotive force that was love seemed to seep down into his very bones and he surrendered himself to it. He surrendered himself to her, relinquishing everything up as he entered her warm awaiting body; lips drinking their fill of her, rich sweet moans of ecstasy slipping down his throat like wine. Oft in the distance the birds began to sing their worship unto the great gods that ruled the land around them. Bees began their early morning hunt for ripe flowers. For that day and several more days after it existed the happiest moments of his life. Moments that came to a halt so suddenly he hadn’t had time to prepare. 

 

 

***

 

     “Do you believe in fairytales?” Brown eyelids fluttered. 

    “Fairytales are stupid. You really believe in tiny creatures that live in the woods?” Nostrils opened to inhale the air and it was different and yet so familiar. Lips part. Since she was a child, her dreams had always been strange. Rich green lands and pretty flowers abound, droplets of dew on large massive leaves and sunlight streaming through trees. They were always full of light and joy, innocence and spring time. Every year come time for Halloween she always dressed as a fairy or tinkerbell (who was her favorite thank you very much) and around school, people had always called her ‘the fairy’ girl or ‘the girl with the weird name’. She never quite felt like she belonged and mainly stayed to herself. But the time to be a hermit was over. Brown eyes opened. Here we go. 

    “Hello. My American name is Isolde. But you can call me Lihua. It’s nice to meet you and I look forward to working with you this year.” Stunned students glanced at her and murmured amongst themselves as she withdrew to her seat. She was not going to let fear get in the way of her living out her dreams. And starting right here and right now she’d do just that.

 

 

*** 

 

 

    Bare feet waded further into the high lilting grasses and soon a male body disappeared amidst them. Hair once long and gloriously silver now was kept short, black and shapely as to adhere to the modern times. Golden almond shaped eyes appeared dark brown during the day, and his elvin markings remained hidden at all times under long sleeve shirts and jackets. He’d had to hide himself away, had to force himself to be this version of what they now called a modern man. At first he was resistant to it…refusing to be anything other than who he was. But as the times quickly showed, it was wiser for him to assimilate than rebel and it became a means of survival. 

    Lifting fingers to slip through his soft silky white strands, he sighed, turning those pools of golden amber up towards the sky, alight with millions of tiny twinkling stars. On a night like this one, he was ridden with memories of long since past and preferred to take a flight under the cover of absolute darkness. Peeling off his shirt, his body shivered at the burst of cool air that tickled his flesh. Winter was surely approaching. While it was still fall yet and under the full moon, he’d fly. Soon, massive wings sprouted from his back and he was off. 

 

 

***

 

 

    “DELPHINE!” Hands pulled him back, tried to lure him back into safety. 

    “My Lord! You mustn’t go out there! It’s too dangerous!” His eyes weren’t focused on any such person but his little fairy, whom had been crushed under a part of a crumbling building. One of her hands seemed to reach for his, the skin now tainted with blood. 

    “Let go of me you insignificant little minion!” His voice snarled at those who held him, bound him, and prevented him from getting to her. 

    “Sir…we must go.” 

    “Release me.” Turning infuriated eyes onto the man he recognized as the general of his army, he growled his next words, words laced with venomous conviction. 

    “I will send you to the Drog wastelands where you will die should you not.” The man paled and immediately let go of him, knowing he did not make a threat he would not carry through. Golden eyes flashed dangerously and the force of his aura sent the men flying back from him. 

    “Go ahead of me. Now!” 

    “Aye sir.” The men appeared wearied and tired of trying to keep him at bay, choosing the more wiser choice of obeying him. Turning eyes towards the place where her body lay, he began to run towards her, under his breath reciting a spell of health. Kneeling, he grabbed onto her hand and the spell traveled through his hand into her. Delphine. The mental link between them was the weakest it had ever been but it was there…by a thread. 

    Caelia…answer me…please… He lifted his other hand up onto the large jagged piece of concrete as he awaited. 

    Mingyu… Her voice was weak…fragile…empty. 

    Hold on sweet one. I’m going to move you. 

    No…it’s…no use…my legs…my legs are crushed.  Through their entwined hands, he could feel the intensity of the pain she was feeling and felt tears come to his eyes. They slipped down his cheeks as he tightened his grip on her. 

    Don’t leave me Delphine. I beg you. I’m not ready to let you go. 

The time that spanned between her response times were growing longer and longer before,

    I shall always… be with you… my love. Her life force was fading from within her touch with each moment that past. 

    I…love…you… And like a wisp of wind she was gone, her hand limp in his. His shoulders shook as he began to cry, leaning forward to press his face against their entwined hands, his fingers now gripping hers with a bruising force. That day his tears turned to blood and he wept like a child until she grew cold. That day a part of him died along with her.

 

***

 

    “Sire, would you like to stop by your favorite coffee shop on the way home?” 

    “I’ll go on my own. You aren’t needed.”    

    “Of course sire.” 

    “Go home. I’ll see you tomorrow.” With a bow of the head, the servant was gone and he sat back in his office chair. Licking his lips, he stood and grabbed his coat. Grabbing the keys he soon headed out. 

    Upon pulling up into the parking lot, he immediately felt relief. In a quiet artsy little sector of town he was and everything about it screamed tranquility. He imagined she’d have loved coming to this place. Quaint little shops and clothing boutiques in ancient buildings lined up and down the street. Sighing deeply, he tried to ignore the many eyes that seemed to stab into him as he entered the establishment.  The owners were well familiar with him and always accommodated him. Sitting down in his chair at his favorite table, he sat taking in the warm earthy smells of the coffees and sweet baked treats. 

    “We’ll be right with you.” A waitress said with a bow before hurriedly rushing towards the barista station. How funny that after all he’d lived through, the blood he’d spilt and 

after all he’d done…this now was what his life had been reduced to. As he finally took a sip of a black coffee that the poor overworked girl had finally sat down before him, he sighed deeply once again. Closing his eyes, he reveled in the heat that misted up across his cold skin. Those that he called his enemy once…some were now in the next realm, no longer apart of this one. But unbeknownst to these unsuspecting humans dangers existed all around them all the time. And it was thanks to beings like him that they could continue to exist ignorantly. 

    Taking a sip, he lifted empty brown eyes to see a group of young women come in. As they neared the register, they moved away from one in particular who held on to her purse awkwardly. She was not like the others he observed as she ordered. From where he sat he could tell one of two things. She was American, his curious ears focusing on her accent as she ordered. Two was that she was beautiful…what of her he could see. All of those things put her at a direct risk of being captured and he’d have to prevent them from taking her. Watching as they went to sit down, he cleared his throat. Alas, his work was never done. Not even for a moment. 

End Notes:

 

A/N: Hey lovelies!!! Wow so it's November and I've got a month give or take left of this semester. I was minding my own business when suddenly I felt a tickle from Mingyu and Delphine. I knew I had listed Delphine as one of the stories that I wanted to get started on before the end of the year and welp looks like I've done just that. I've made my decision as to the next story I'm starting lol. I know that this is short and more like a bite than a whole meal but I hope it is satistactory all the same! What do you think of our leading man Mingyu? Personally, I see a jaded man who has lived so long that he's grown tired of living. Haunted by the past and of memories of his past love, he is struggling to modernize himself. I think Mingyu is already proving to be a terribly vulnerable and beautiful character. I did write another chapter. So I'll upload it hehe. 

As of now, let me announce that the two stories that I will be focusing on are Yeonwang and now this one. I do have Yeonwang updates in the works guys so don't think I've forgotten! I thank you all for your patience! Happy reading and please stay safe! God bless!

D&L~ 

two. by DarkandLovely
Author's Notes:

 

 

Ever since she could remember, she always loved being in the woods. Where they lived all around were vast lands, rich green and sparkling waters. It was like a real life fairytale. Every day she’d wander out barefoot into a new unknown adventure only to return with never before had items. Sometimes, she’d get a cluster of pretty mushrooms or flower petals. Others leaves or nuts. Her mother would always be close by, watching out for her small form to venture back home, ready to receive whatever offering she had to give with a pretty smile. 

    “My my, little fern, what have you this time hm?” Sometimes Mommy spoke weird like she was from a children’s book but she kinda liked it. She’d proudly show her and she’d giggle like she too was a little girl. 

    “You’re quite the finder aren’t you?” 

    “Yep!” 

 

***

 

    As she’d gotten older however, they’d moved from that beautiful place. It always held a special place in her heart and memory though and she always dreamt of it. 

    “Isolde, why’re you so weird?” 

    “What’s she doing and why?”

    “Out in the school yard picking up rocks and dirt.” When they made it into the big city, things changed for her and every since starting public school in sixth grade, she kept to herself as much as possible.

    “Every year she dress up like a fairy. And she really be believing she is one.”

    “She’s nuts. That’s why no one likes her.”

    “Kinda a shame though. She’s pretty.”

    “Lihua, what made you decide to study here in China?” Blinking she lifted her be-speckled gaze upward to see a curious male glance peering down at her. 

    “I thought it would be a good experience.”

    “I think it’s great that you’re here! It makes me happy that you want to learn more about Chinese culture.” Giving him a noncommittal smile, she began to gather her belongings. 

    “Don’t be too shy okay? Please socialize more with us!” He called at her retreating form. Taking a deep breath, she went to her car and put her backpack into the back seat.  She couldn’t hold it against them… rather… she couldn’t let it continue to haunt her. Yes, she had been bullied and harassed much as a child. But she liked to think that it made her…stronger? Her strength was in being to herself. That’s the whole reason she decided to go through with this. She’d always been the wall flower who preferred not to cause trouble or take risks but what did that get her? A boat load of fear and years shaved off of her life. Starting the ignition, she clenched her jaw and inhaled deeply once more. This time was hers now and if she never fit in that would be okay. Because at the end of the day, it wasn’t about any one else. It was about her and her happiness. 

 

    *** 

 

    “So why are you studying here in China?” At first she hadn’t taken notice but a lone finger softly jabbed her in between her shoulder blades, making her gasp. Turning, she looked up into a fresh pretty face. 

    “E-Excuse me?” 

    “What are you studying?” The woman replied in English, making her gawk. 

    “Um….b-botany?” At her answer, the girl smiled and laughed some. She was fair and slim, hair non traditionally died blonde. 

    “Are you always this skittish around other people?”

    “I-if I don’t know them yeah…” She eyed her as she walked around the other end of the table and began to take out her books. 

    “I’m surprised you haven’t asked about my speaking English yet.” Throat gone dry, she swallowed sand as the beautifully twinkling monolid eyes lifted to hers. 

    “W-why are..you?” The girl grinned. 

    “I wanna go to the States.” 

    “Oh…”

    “I’m Xu Chungha. Nice to meet you.”

    “…Nice to meet you too. I’m Isolde.” 

 

 

*** 

 

    “25-year-old American woman found dead in rural ditch. More details in three minutes. Stay tuned.” 

    “Sire, did it not go well?” Unemotional eyes lifted from his paperwork at the man standing nearest the door.

`    “No. It didn’t.” Is all he offered and it was considered end of discussion as the man bowed his head and saw his way out. Empty yet serious eyes panned back towards the television as the report continued. A picture of the girl appeared on the screen and he felt his heart twist. 

    “Paisley McPhee, 25-year-old American woman from the United States was found dead early this morning by tourists enjoying activities in Shidu National Park. Reports say that foul play is not suspected and that it is likely that she drowned.” Fair skin, fiery red hair and soft blue eyes. The girl was a beautiful one, surely to have been a highly desired woman in his time of long ago. He swallowed thickly as the report went on, 

    “The American Embassy is attempting now to reach her family back in the United States. What a sad story. When out and about, do take care and be mindful. Next, we talk weather.” Only a select few knew of what happened. And it most certainly was not a drowning. Lifting to stand from his desk, he quietly ran fingers through his hair, jaw tight and lips pinched. He was too late…even with his speed. By the time he’d gotten to her, her face had been taken and her soul had been removed. Her body had been carelessly strewn aside, now an empty shell of what once was living. An unfortunately painful end. 

    “Sire. They await you at the council.”

    “Very well.” 

 

*** 

 

    “Isolde?”

    “Hm?”

    “That’s a pretty name. What does it mean?”

    “To be beautiful…fair.”

    “Ooh. Cool.”

    “And Chunghua? What does that mean?” 

    “Spring flower.”

    “Ooh.”

    “Pretty huh?”

    “Yeah.” 

    “Well, I’m just going to come out and say it. I like you. I think you’re cool. I want us to be friends.” Eyes took in the very outspoken girl and she felt herself smile some. Chunghua was refreshing. Perhaps it would be good for them to be friends…help her get out of her comfort zone a bit. 

    “Sure. I’d like that.”

    “Great! I say we go down to this really cool bakery/coffee shop. We’ve been looking at this homework so long it’s started to melt my eyeballs together.” Laughing softly, she conceded and began to pack up her belongings. 

    “I think you’ll like this place. It’s very cozy and they use all natural ingredients in their pastries and things. No chemicals or additives.”

    “Yes I like that very much.” 

    “And their herbal teas are to die for. They have this particular one that I drink every fall season before it starts getting cold and I kid you not in the past five years I’ve never gotten sick.” Lifting up her gaze to the taller woman who talked quite animatedly, she sighed to herself some. Her heart somehow felt…warm. She felt excited, something that she hadn’t felt in a long time. Perhaps this was the best thing for her after all.   

 

***

 

            “Mama…”

    “Yes darling?”

    “…I um…I wanna go to China.” A tall slim woman stopped what she was doing which was cooking and turned to look at her. Disbelief in her beautifully deep set eyes…eyes she inherited. 

    “You serious?” Her nails sunk into the paint on the edge of the counter, fingers tightening on the surface. 

    “Yes ma’am. I wanna study abroad there.” Her mother blinked at her, disbelief not quite gone from her face yet. She stood in the kitchen, hands nervously clasped behind her. Gaze down.  Small fingers clothed in the same rich dark brown skin as her lifted her chin. 

    “My little fern….you are grown now. You can do whatever your heart desires. Even if it means being away from me. From your family.” Her cheeks grew warm. 

    “You really wouldn’t mind?” Smiling prettily, her mother nuzzled her nose. 

    “It’s time to spread your wings and fly on your own now little fern. I support you wholeheartedly.” 

    “Thanks Mama.” 

    “You’re welcome baby.” 


End Notes:

A/N: Okay that is all for now haha. I think Isolde is a brave little fighter... she just don't know it yet. She's trying her best despite her past traumas. What do y'all think of her? hehe. I adore her. I thank you guys for reading and hope to update again before the end of the year! No promises though haha. See you soon! 

D&L~

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3884