Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

It had been a year and a day...no... truthfully it had been eleven months, 14 days, seven hours and 12 seconds since she last laid eyes on him. Raizo's sculptured frame saturated with fresh blood seeping from deep sword wounds flashed instantly in her mind. She never quite understood how he could endure so much pain with the slightest hint of emotion. In several instances he appeared emotionless which at times frightened the astute Mika to her very core. In his face she witnessed a certain composure unlike any she has seen on another human being. How strange she thought for someone to be that calm in the midst of such hatred and destruction. The world was crashing down all around them, ninjas coming from every side, fires blazing, gunfire, grenades exploding still Raizo followed through on his ultimate goal. Her misguided effort to supposedly save him from a premature death ended in Lord Ozuno's sword being callously thrust past her shoulder blades. Inch by inch the sharpened blade made its distinctive cut, debilitating her to the point of unconsciousness. She lay helpless sensing herself slowly dying only Raizo's swift action and nature's twist of creation made it not so. Even now, any awkward movement or change in the weather would cause a searing sensation that took some time to ease. She was so confident in her ability to save him from the Ozuno clan; after all she had Europol, its technology and agents at her disposal. In the end it became quite clear that he saved her - he saved them all. One single event changed her opinion about this coldblooded assassin but fairly quickly he disappeared from her life as soon as he entered it. She assumed some things weren't meant to be.

 

Life returned to a new normal. After spending three weeks in the hospital most of her physically injuries were healed but mentally a part of her was still struggling with what happened and the impact it had on all aspects of a relatively normal life. The Ozuno clan assignment had taken her far beyond what she ever anticipated. Every moment she feared for her life and the presence of a handsome, ninja assassin added another dynamic. At his behest, she placed her total faith and trust in him. How could her heart have known that was the right thing to do? Perhaps it was the only choice available or perhaps it was the beginning of something more between them especially on her part. She didn't have a clear answer and now his memory continually invaded her thoughts.

***

After her return Mika's work assignments shifted towards money laundering cases; tracking down disgraced executives and their hidden offshore accounts. A clear departure from previous assignments where she faced deeper challenges still fulfilling work she reminded herself. Today instead of working and concentrating on the report from her last assignment, she stood staring out the open office window. Outside she could hear the swirling of the wind and the noises from the street below. The air felt cool but there wasn't much to look at in regards to scenery. Soaring concrete towers obstructed the view of the beautiful countryside that lay a far off in the distance. No matter she saw it as a moment to relax her mind from the everyday hassle.

As she closed her eyes she could hear Raizo whispering her name. Mika, Mika... Your heart is special... She ached to see him again but there was no way of getting in contact with him. Fate and circumstance brought them together and she believed that the reality of his former life drove them apart. If she tried hard enough and did some research, she would be able to find him.

The logical part of her brain screamed, why would you want to find a guy who is a ninja assassin? He dwells in the shadows. He doesn't want to be found.

She sighed, "Huh he doesn't want to be..."

"Mika are you talking to yourself again," Ryan playfully interrupted.

Mika spun around a little surprised. He briefly looked at her then perused around her tiny office. It lacked the decorative touch he'd expect from a woman. Sparse furnishings included a desk, computer, three chairs, bookshelf and a white filing cabinet stoically nestled in the corner. The grayish walls reminded everyone of its purpose.

"Ryan what are you doing here?" she asked, slowing returning to her seat. She started gathering some paperwork that were scattered here and there across her desk.

"I'm your boss do I really need a reason to see you."

"I guess not," she replied softly.

He hated her this way. Not that her work wasn't up to standard; it just seemed that the incident with the Ozuno clan had taken a part of Mika away. He recalled glancing at recruit Mika Coretti's resume - intelligent, assertive, works well with others, hobbies include reading, playing the violin and surfing. He could never mesh playing the violin with surfing but there were always two sides to Mika - witty and straightforward. In her dark brown eyes he saw a light and eagerness which slowly faded away during her years of service at Europol. It happened to all of them but he wished it didn't happen to her.

He stood silently stroking his chin with his right thumb and forefinger, observing her. Today she was dressed in a black sweater and gray pants, hair sleek back into a tight bun, her exquisite face devoid of makeup not that she needed it. She radiated beauty without much effort. His nose sniffed a hint of Beautiful a definite change from her usual DKNY.

"You've changed a lot over the past year."

"Have I," she responded, returning her focus to the computer screen. The overdue report seemed more important. "It's not a strange occurrence. All of us go through some changes...which includes you Ryan."

The last part of her statement hit its mark. He recalled going through a mild form of depression when his sister unexpectedly passed away from a brain aneurism. It shocked his psyche for weeks afterwards. Notwithstanding the nature of their interaction, Mika became a true friend during that difficult stage. She was the first to enquire how he was. She extended her empathy even more by sitting and listening to his fond memories and the effects her sudden death was having on his life.

"I'm just worried about you. Believe me Mika, there's no judgment in my statement."

She stared back at him, eyes softening, realizing that her anger was misplaced. Sighing she said, "Sorry - I'm just a little stressed about stuff going on or more specifically not going on but I'll get through it. I also know that you'll be there if I need anything."

"Certainly..."

"So is that all. I'm just finishing up the report that you've been asking for," she showed a wry smile.

"Finally! The chief has been on my back about your missing report. You owe me big time for covering your ass."

"You can't rush perfection," she quipped.

He chuckled, "Oh now we all know the reason for the delay. I wonder if the Chief will see things as you do."

Suddenly he realized something and his tone turned more serious. "Take a look at this."

He handed her a large manila folder and awaited her reaction.

"Is this my next assignment?"

"Humph - I don't know how you are going to react to it - just read."

She didn't fully understand the crux of his statement but it unnerved her. She hastily opened the folder. Row by row her eyes darted from side to side never breaking until a hard realization finally set in. She threw down the folder quickly pushing away from the desk.

"Ryan you promised me!" her eyes blazed.

"My hands are tied Mika," his voice pleaded. "I told them it's too soon for you to do this type of case."

"And what was their response?!" she asked from behind clinched teeth.

"That enough time has passed. The work comes to us and you're a professional. You can deal with whatever..."

She threw up a hand putting a quick end to the remainder of his statement.

"Mika..."

"No Ryan I'm not going through this shit again! Dealing with a Khangpae gang...I can imagine the ninjas flying out from behind the shadows. I almost died the last time. We almost died. No thank you!"

Ryan started pleaded his case. "The Khangpae are abducting children." He waited for a reaction. When he saw none forthcoming, he continued. "The parents are helpless to do anything. They don't know where their children are or if something terrible has happened to them. Mika, we can do something. We need to find out where these kids are and work along with the police to get them back home."

"You really believe that Ryan. The police are probably more scared than we are or maybe they are being paid to look the other way."

"That's why the commissioner personally contacted us. Despite the actions of his officers, he needs our help to get this situation under control before it blows up in their faces. You'll do the research and find out who are the prominent members while we take care of the rest."

She rose to her feet. "I recall this was the same scenario last time and look what happened."

"You don't have to do it alone..."

"No! I won't do that Ryan!" she yelled, pointing an accusatory finger. "Europol can go to hell!" she grabbed her coat, storming off through the door.

"Mika! Mika!"

Ryan raked his fingers through his hair. Damnit! Useless to chase after her, eventually she'll cool down he hoped. He concluded that she needed a little time to think and for the time being he would give her all the space she needed.






Chapter End Notes:

It's my first story in a while. Tipping back a toe into the vast sea of writers. I'll see if I shall remain







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.