Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hello peeps!

Ok, so I know, It has been forever, but I hope this news will cheer you up...and you'll forgive me: The Book is FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you how exhilarated and exhausted I am. I'm still not back 100% and this has taken an immense toll on me... but 488 pages of blood,sweat and tears show for it!

But it's over! Well, revisions will start...

I encourage you to follow me on twitter to get the latest news as to the release!

As always I live for the reviews and comments, so you know what to do!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Vi

She had fallen asleep in the bathtub while remembering at what point in her life she took the wrong turn.

Accepting Ethan's proposal.

Shaking the cold water off her body, she pulled a fluffy Egyptian towel, and went to her kitchen to get a glass of wine.

Looking at the clock she realized 3 hours had passed.

Crap! It's almost midnight!  Well, it's actually perfect! You can make that call!

She went to her bedroom, slipped her flannel pjs on, returned to the kitchen to get her wine, rummaged into her bag to get her one of her cell phones, her notebook and her cigarettes case, and headed for her little terrace.

Settling herself comfortably on her chaise longue, she looked up at the stars.

She had always loved looking at the sky at night, ever since she had moved in with Kevin. The penthouse had a fantastic view of the Eiffel tower, and she recalled with affection the countless nights her and her best friend had spent there, talking, drinking and smoking cigarettes well into the nights.

These memories always lifted her spirits, and that's what she needed tonight.

I need to call him, she thought.

She opened her notebook, scrolled through her blackberry to get the number she wanted, closed her eyes for a minute in order to focus, and pressed dial.

“Hello?” a male voice answered.

“Good afternoon. Salam Malekoum. Victoryn McGregor for Mr Harami, please.” She said, pleasantly.

“One moment. Hold please,” was gently replied.

“Hello Victoryn! How are you?“  Sheikh Al Ben Harami exclaimed.

“I am well, thank you.” She said, relaxing in her seat.

“I am surprised to hear from you. Has something happened? Please don't tell me you are calling to cancel.... We have been working on this for 8 months already, and changing counsel in the final run will not do...” he stated with dread in his voice.

“No, not all. On the contrary, actually. I was wondering if I could come earlier. I have unexpected free time as of today and figured I might as well get us a head start.“ she replied in a reassuring tone, smiling.

“I know the final contract will be signed in 5 weeks as scheduled but since I'm free, I think it couldn't hurt to be there and hammer out the final details of the negotiations…” her voice trailed.

“This will give you extra time just in case...” she punctuated.

“Well...” he hesitantly started.

“I wouldn't change my fee of course, and you would be doing me a great favour by accepting...” she added in a cajoling tone.

She started to smile, as she knew he was about to accept having her around for free for 4 weeks.

Sometime, you have to spend money to get some peace.

I simply can't be here and think of Julian.

Never mind, Sheikh Al Ben Harami would no doubt exhaust her asking every legal question he could under the sun now that he knew he wouldn't have to pay for it, but what mattered was to leave LA as soon as possible.

She would call Emirates in the morning and be on her way to Dubai by the evening.

She lit up a cigarette, sipped some wine and pressed 1 on her phone.

“Allo?” was said in a bright tone.

“It's me.” She said exhaling.

“Hey baby girl, how are you? Where are you? Still in Hong Kong?” he said, clearly happy to hear her voice.

“No, actually I'm back in LA since yesterday. I'm flying to Dubai tomorrow, well, today, your time...” she replied casually, even though she knew, this state of affairs was far from it.

“Jesus! Doesn't your body ache? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the flight from HK to LA like 15 hours? Now you're telling me you're going to Dubai. Girl, what is it with you and planes?! ...You should have gone straight there...“ he laughed.

“Kev, my body aches, but not because of the flying.” she replied seriously.

Her tone stopped his laughter.

“Vi, what's wrong? Are you sick again?“ He asked cautiously, already bracing himself for the worst.

“No. Not that I know of anyway. That reminds me I need to call Lily...” She said while making a note on her notebook.

“Vi, what's wrong then?” he enquired again.

“I had sex yesterday.” She stated in a calm voice.

There was a long blank pause on both ends.

She heard him clear his throat, and then he repeated lowly, “You had sex yesterday.”

“Yes.” was confirmed.

“How? Who with? Didn't you fly in yesterday?” He blurted out.

“I did fly in yesterday. I met someone, and we had sex.” She replied, smiling.

“Vi...” He started hesitantly.

"Yes?” she asked, knowing he was trying to form a coherent thought.

“I don't know what to say.” He admitted.

“Then, don't say anything. Just be happy to know I can still do this.” She said softly.

“I never doubted you could! I'm just shocked it happened now!” He retorted. “It's been years Vi! You’re the one who sworn off men!” he continued, “The first two years, it was understandable as you were trying to regain your bearings after all that's happened; by the 3rd year, Lil and I were begging you and tried to incite you to do the deed at least once just for ...Shall I say maintenance purposes?” He cleared his throat, embarrassed, “But we gave up on the fourth year, coming to terms with the fact you'd never let another man touch you ever again… but now? It's been over 5 years Vi!” he exclaimed, in sheer stupor.

She closed her eyes, inhaled from her cigarette and said cheerfully, “Kev. I had sex, but that’s' not why I'm calling...”

“Girl, are you crazy?” He joyously screamed, ”This is cause for a call! I'll be ringing Lil in a minute, we need to celebrate your return amongst the sinners!”

She laughed. He'd never change!

“Kev, I never stopped being a sinner,” she said seriously.

“So tell me, who is the lucky bastard who got to experience your 1st time?” he interrupted her, with glee.

She braced herself and said flatly, “Julian McCarty.”

“What? I must be hearing things...Did you say Julian McCarty, as in Julian McCarty, the actor?” He asked, shocked.

“Yes,” she confirmed.

“Fuck!” He grunted.

“You can say that again.” She asserted, shaking her head.

“Holy fuck!“ He repeated.

She smiled. You could always count on Kev to emphasize things!

“Kev. Stop it!” She giggled.

“Sugar, one could say you rebounded into life with a bang!” He sang, “Julian McCarty?!” he whistled. “Lil will be impressed!” he concluded laughing heartily.

“Kev...” She started.

“Ok, ok...So you had sex with Julian McCarty but that's not why you called, so what is it?” he said more seriously.

“Actually, the sex part is not why I rang. Who he is, that’s the problem.” She stated.

“You mean because he's an actor? Because he's worldwide famous?” He enquired, curious.

“There's that, but that's not only who he is...” She cautiously said.

“I'm not sure I follow you here...I mean sure, he's famous and you'll need to get used to that once again, but what's the problem?” he chimed.

“Did you know Julian is Australian?” She asked

“Umm...I guess. Must have read it in one of the rags... but...” his voice trailed

“He is, he the son of a prime minister.” She sighed, adding, ”The longest standing one, ever… to be more precise.”

“Ok...” he said in a puzzled tone.

“He grew up in Sydney, where Ethan did.” She said firmly.

“Oh...” was murmured.

“Yeah, oh is right. They know each other. Very well. Or at least they used to...” She said in one breath.

“Oh...” he repeated in a low voice.

“Fuck Kev, stop saying ‘oh’ like a bloody moron, I need some advice here!” she sighed, frustrated with his inability to catch on.

“Well, what the hell do you want me to say?” he shouted.

“Nothing.“ she softly sighed.

There was a pause, and then he asked, “Vi? Does he know who you are?” He asked, as if suddenly understanding the ramifications of the encounter.

“No. I don't think so.” She replied slowly.

“For sure?” he reiterated.

“Yes. I didn't give him my name.” She asserted.

“You're safe then. He doesn't need to know. Do you plan to see him again?” he exhaled.

“No. I’ve learned my lesson. I’ll never get involved with another man. And, if I did, definitely not this one!!” she cried out, her voice rising.

“Well, if you didn't tell him, and he didn't suspect it, no one will tell him. You had your romp; it's done and dusted. None will be the wiser," he retorted.

“I pray you are right.” she sighed.

“Vi?” he said tentatively.

“Yes?” she whispered

“You are fine. You are safe. He will not find you,” he added steadily.

“If he did Kev...” her voice trailed.

“Well, he hasn't so far, and with the amount of travelling you have done in the past few years, good luck to him! And you haven't set foot in Australia ever since...” he paused, sighed heavily, and growled, “Never mind.... If that bastard dares to come anywhere near you again, I will make sure his career isn't the only thing he loses this time!”

“You said he swore…”She started, but cut her train of thought, and went on with, “Kev… Ethan is a very determined man. Why on earth do you think he refused to grant me a divorce?” she asked, feeling her stomach grip.

“Water under the bridge, babe. You may still carry his name and after all, you earned it considering the price you paid, but you are divorced...Thank God for the Caribbeans...” He said in a cheerful tone.

“I'm just scared he finds out I'm out here. That's why I'm leaving tomorrow. I need to go, just in case...I can't take that chance, specially when I don't know if Julian and him are as close as they used to, and are on speaking terms.” she finished, determination in her voice.

“Lord, you really know how to pick them!”  He chuckled.

“Fuck Kev, that's not even remotely funny...” She yelled.

“You’ve got to admit, it's a damn coincidence though!” he continued, laughing, “The first man you sleep with after 5 years of abstinence, in a different country, strike that, different continent no less, is one of your ex best buddies? Shit, I would laugh if it wasn't happening to you!"

"Ugh, you're impossible!" She couldn’t help the smile creeping on her face.

“Yes, I know, but you still love me” he countered, then added, ” ...On a more serious note, take all your passports with you, just in case you don't come back to LA.”

“I always do.” She replied seriously.                                                         

“Good girl. I trained you well.” He said, reassured.

“Fear is a great motivator Kev, but thanks!” she replied sarcastically.

There was a silent pause until he said in a light tone, “Can I ask you something?”

She could hear the smile in his voice and knew what was coming...

“Go ahead. Ask,” she sighed, knowing she had to indulge him.

“How was it? How was the sex?” he asked in a low tone.

She couldn't find her voice for a few second as the images flashed before her eyes.

Baby look at me...

I want you watch me taste you...”

She heard Julian's voice as clear as if he was there with her now.

“The sex was incredible.” She whispered.

“I'm happy for you. You deserved it.” He said warmly.

“Thank you.” she paused, “For everything...” she added, emotional, thanking God for her best friend.

“You realize we've been talking for over an hour…”he cleared his throat, and added, 

“You need to get to sleep; you have a long day tomorrow. Call when you get to Dubai?”

“I will.” she promised

“I love you,“ he reassured her.

“I love you too.” She hung up, feeling back in control of her life.

She finished her wine, brushed her teeth and went to bed.

Julian's words still playing in her head.

((~~!~~))

The next morning at 9.30 am, her ticket was booked. She was showered and dressed. Her bags packed and her driver waiting downstairs. She perused her living room one last time to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything, shut the lights and opened her door...

Only to be faced by what could only be described as a shady character, standing there, blocking her path. The man was dressed in black leather clothing from head to toe and spotted a menacing smirk on his somewhat youngish but handsome face.

Anger and fear rising within her, she tilted her head, eyebrows risen and gasped in shock:

“Who the hell are you?”

“James Marshall.” came the calm reply.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Have a wonderful weekend!

DD.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.