Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

AlexMiloRoddrick




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


        Milo's body felt heavy, as if he had been filled with cement as he lied there on his mattress. A thin sheet was thrown haphazardly across his naked form, pulled tight by the other body that laid close to him.

    Alex.

    She had come by after he had finally made his way home, beating himself up along the way, and now here he was lying next to her after a night of comforting sex like an idiot.

   It seemed he was good at digging himself deeper and deeper into shit.

   Carefully removing her hold, he rolled off of the mattress standing to his feet as an ache reached through his entire body.  He watched her stir slightly, and was glad to see she hadn't been awoken by his movements. Moving sluggishly, he relieved himself in the bathroom. He could smell Alex on his skin, and the thought of Roddrick instantly filled him with guilt, prompting Milo to turn on the shower to a temperature just shy of scolding.

    He braced his hands against the discolored tiles, hissing from the pleasant pain of the water.

    When he watched Roddrick walk out of the bar, he had been torn between racing back to her house, having memorized the route off of one go, and ordering as many drinks as his wallet would let him.

    He hadn't done either, opting to drag his sorry ass back to his new apartment, the first night losing its uniqueness as he struggled with the overwhelming feeling of loneliness.

   When Alex came by, it had been without warning but not too surprising. He had been puzzled at first as to who could be knocking at his door that  he knew, Blake being the only person he could think of. When he looked through the peephole and saw the man pressed against the doorjamb, rolling his eyes as Alex pounded on the door.

    "She insisted." Blake answered the questioning look in Milo's eyes, dumping Alex off on his doorstep.

     "Not my problem." He made it clear that he wasn't going to be responsible for whatever Milo may have gotten himself into with Alex. Holding up his hands, he walked away leaving a clinging Alex and glaring Milo behind.

     Her eyes still held the puffy red appearance as earlier, her kisses cut off his attempts to sit and have any kind of thoughtful talk. His resistance only drew more tears and accusations that sent Alex into a blubbering mess.

    Feeling at fault for how both women felt, he gave into Alex.

    Now she lied on his bedroom floor once under a blanket of false pretenses.

    The bathroom curtains were pulled back, allowing billows of steam to escape into the room as Alex stepped in to the heat of the shower.

    "Woah!" Milo jumped from the contact of her hands on his back, nearly slipping to the ground." What the fuck Alex?"

    The small smile she had disappeared as she leaned around Milo, taking the bar of soap he held in his hands. "Good morning to you too." She said with a pout as she began lathering his back.

    "Alex. I'm not really in the mood, alright?"

    She went on, her hands cupping the sides of his ass. The water was shut off instantly.

   "You haven't even rinsed out your shampoo-"

    "Out."  Pulling back the shower curtain, Milo's voice was hoarse as he guided them both from the shower.

    "What the hell is wrong with you? You've been acting like this since last night after that thing with Rasheeka." Angrily grabbing the only towel in the bathroom, Alex wrapped herself in it before storming out, slamming the door against the wall behind it. Following her, Milo wiped at the shampoo and soap falling towards his eyes.

   "You and I have got to talk about this. Last night was a mistake, Alex."

    "I know it was. You bringing your side fuck around was a huge mistake last night."

    Holding up his hands, he stopped her slander." I'm talking about you and me being the mistake. We shouldn't have done what we did after what went down. It was stupid-I was stupid for not stopping it."

   "A mistake? " Alex's voice trembled as she began tapping her foot, her face turning red as she took deep breaths. "What about us is a mistake?"

    Milo turned away from her, digging through boxes looking for another towel. He couldn't stand there in the nude while trying to have this conversation with Alex. He was sure if he said the wrong thing she would definitely come for his vulnerable points.

    "I fucked up. I've been fucking up for the past three months now." Soaking up the water and soap residue, he wrapped it around his lower half before facing Alex again. Her eyes blinked rapidly as her jaw twisted with agitation.

   "Three months ago, you and I got together, Milo." Her arms were crossed at her breasts, eyes wet with the flood of emotions running through her.

    There was a silence in the air, one that Alex couldn't stand or take as she began pacing the room.

   "You're calling us a mistake-me a mistake? Milo, we didn't just fall in bed together one night, we have history!"

    "This isn't how it's supposed to be Alex...we're not together because we have some profound love for each other. We're together because when we get bored, we just fu-"

    "Don't you dare say that's all we've  been! You can't just drop this now because of some past pussy!"

    "Look, how about we leave Roddrick out of this and focus on what's between you and me."

    "Fucking Roddrick..." Shrugging her shoulders, Alex pointed at Milo. "Fucking Roddrick is what's coming between us. All in one fucking night, a few goddamned hours and now you've done a complete 360 on me!"

    "When we first met, everything was cool, you know?  We knew just what we were but whatever that was isn't this. There's nothing that makes an us outside of-"

     "What do you mean? Of course there is! We've been something since the first time we met!"

    "The first thing we did was fuck! And it was the second, third, fourth, and fifth thing. That's all that we have been, and now this relationship we've been trying to do was nothing but me lying to myself and you. Thinking that was better than nothing or that maybe I could find something in it and it wouldn't hurt to try, but look what's happening now." His hands were opened, voice raised as he hoped to reach through to Alex.

    "That's not true." Alex shook her head stubbornly, not wanting to hear what was being said. The more Milo spoke, the more she heard him equating her to nothing more than what Roddrick had been to him. She refused to be compared to something so low, not wanting her good name defiled in such a way.

    "I am nothing like that black whore, Milo. I am more than that. She's nothing! All that she has is a dirty cunt that's probably filled with someone named Jamal as we speak. I am so much more than that, and you know it."

    "Where the fuck is all of this coming from?" Milo became enraged, his breathing turned ragged as he not only heard, but noticed Alex's racist slew of words. It dawned on him then, all of the comments she had made in passing before, words he had never paid much attention to until now. He began to wonder how long she had let her prejudices be known, and why it had taken him this long to become aware of them.

    "You've got to be fucking realistic, you can't just jump between two different worlds and try to bring someone like her back home. I'll take a suicidal junkie over someone who can't get his face out of some black bitch's pussy. That's where I draw the line." Before she could react, Milo towered over her smaller frame. The big voice she had earlier shrunk back into her body as she anticipated his next move.

    "You know it's the truth." She spoke shakily.

     "Get out of my house."

     "I am not leaving until we get this shit straightened out." Back pedaling quickly as Milo began to move even closer, her back met with a wall. Milo leaned in, his temple ticking as he began to calm himself down, moving away from Alex.

    "This shit is already handled. We're done Alex."

    "No we are not-"

     "Done!" His voice billowed through the small space that he was sure his neighbors could hear them by now.

     "All of this...for her...Roddrick?"

      Remaining silent was his answer.

      "All of this for a-a nigger!" Alex's voice ripped through the room as her neck bulged with a thick vein. She didn't understand anything that was going on. She couldn't understand how someone like her would have to deal with some black woman getting involved with her relationships.

    Milo stood in shock, puzzled by her use of the slur. In his life, he had never paid it any mind before. He figured since it was one he never planned on incorporating into his vocabulary, and so there was no need to worry about it. Something in his guy twisted as he weighed the enormity of it.

     "You want to walk out of here on both feet then you think twice about ever saying that again..." He yelled, completely fed up with her.

      "That's what she is. It's not a fucking lie, it's not a fucking secret .What makes you think you can do more than fuck her?"

       "What, are you supposed to be the one to tell me what to do with her?" The incredulous sigh that left his throat did little to belie the disgust that now replaced the earlier feelings of owing her any kind of sympathy.

       "It's just something you don't do. Something you shouldn't. "

         His eyes narrowed as Alex came closer. When he burst into a quick bout of laughter, he only made the deep frown on Alex's face worse."You know, I felt like the biggest asshole five minutes ago. I was going to accept all the anger that you would have thrown my way; it would have been my little punishment.  But now...I don't feel as obligated. You've managed to become the bigger fool in the room.  If you look hard enough, I'm sure you can find you a nice little Aryan prince around here somewhere..."

     He watched as Alex seemed to move in slow motion around the room. He saw her pick up paper after paper of songs he had written and arranged, many of them dedicated to Roddrick. The first night he had seen her, he had felt an invisible pull towards her. It was a strong tug that was very similar to what he felt now.

   Then, he knew that he wanted to become a part of her. Wanted to feel her physically, that his body called to her for that contact.

    Now, it wasn't a bond born from sexual desire. It was an emotional tie that stirred up rage from Alex's insults so burning hot that it paralyzed him. It was a rage that demanded that he protect and defend Roddrick from anyone and anything at all costs even if she never even knew of the harm done to her.

     "...and these were all about her? All of this time? Fuck her. Fuck you." Alex ripped the pages out of the composition book, throwing them into the air one by one.

     Suddenly, Alex found it hard to breathe. In the middle of her ranting, she found her feet being lifted from the ground.

    "Don't touch me you nigger loving asshole! Get your hands off of me. I'm going to the doctor today, and I swear if I have anything I will fucking end you! I'll kill you and her!" She gasped. Alex fell roughly to the ground just outside of the front door, the towel that still remained on her fell loosely to the side. She grabbed at it quickly to cover herself before standing and rushing the door for entrance back into the apartment.

   "What are you doing? Get out of the way." Alex clawed at his chest and arms as she tried to force her way through. Milo's muscles ached under the restraint of not hurting Alex as his hand gripped her face tightly, shoving her against the door.

    "Don't ever speak to me again. Don't ever acknowledge me again. "Tightening his hold even more, Milo's nose nearly touched hers as he spoke menacingly. "Don't. Ever. Talk about Roddrick like that again. You're one deceitful bitch, and I wholeheartedly mean that. How long have you been in with the brotherhood? I can't even believe I've been in bed with trash like you. You think she's the one that's worthless? You need to look in a fucking mirror."

    Pushing her further away from his door, he slammed it shut with enough force to shake the frame. As soon as it was closed, Alex began banging against it.

    Her words were inaudible and ignored as Milo began to walk back to his bedroom. She had no ride, and all of her belongings still lay in a heap in the corner of his room. Moving with determination, he scooped up her things, eyes skating across the scattered pieces of the songs she had destroyed while Milo shook his head in disgust.

    Storming back out, he headed for the sliding door which led to a small balcony. He could hear the sound of feet running towards the rail directly beside his apartment, and watched as Alex's head peaked over.

    "No, no, no!" She waved her arms wildly as Milo threw her clothes over the balcony without a care. She watched as her purse turned upside down, and listened to its contents hit the pavement four stories down.

       She could hear the laughs of passersby watching the scene above them. Her face burned with embarrassment as they all looked up to them, and knew that she would have to walk past them to gather her things.

 

    "I'm not going to forget this. Ever." She spat at Milo who leaned over his balcony, steadily watching her. His eyes were tense and dark as she growled hitting the iron rail between her hands.

     "You've fucked with the wrong person, I swear to God." Alex parted with those words, stomping down the stairs and cussing along the way. He could hear some doors open as they saw to the commotion going on.

    He didn't take his eyes off of the sidewalk until he saw her crouching down below, picking up her clothes and shattered things. When she stood and looked towards his building one last time, he stood to his full height, and went back inside.

oOo

       "Stop...Rodey ..."

     A gurgling noise from within her throat made Roddrick cringe as she knew that only one thing could follow it. She pushed at her little sister whose legs dangled over her body as she snored in the dark. Hopping from the bed, she ran into the door stubbing her tow while struggling with twisting the nob as her stomach began to clench.

     She fell before the white toilet bowl, her hands gripping it tightly as her body began to dry heave above it. Her eyes watered as the bitter and slimy bile fell into the water.

     Shivers ran all through Roddrick as she groaned. She had no idea what would have driven her to this position as she went through another round of gagging.

    "What is this?" She whispered to herself, panting as she reached to flush the toilet. Putting the seat down, she climbed what felt like a mountain just to sit atop it. Her head bent close to her chest, feeling too weak to hold it up. Bright light flooded the bathroom, forcing her eyes closed as a figure stood at the door.

     "Did you eat something bad?" Once Roddrick was able to blink away the spots within her vision, she was able to recognize her mother's voice through her disheveled state.

   "Probably. It kinda just hit me out of nowhere." She mumbled as her hands cupped around her face. Light fingers lifted her head by the chin as Rockelle observed her daughter's face. Roddrick watched as her eyebrow quirked and a thoughtful look entered her eyes.

   "I look awful, don't I?" She smirked." My mouth tastes horrible right now." Shielding her mouth with a hand, she moved to the sink, rinsing her mouth with handfuls of water as she squeezed toothpaste onto her toothbrush and began to get rid of the vomit residue.

   "Well, you do look like you're going through it.I heard you come in early this morning. " Rockelle said as she stood with her hands clasped before her. She took a look at Roddrick as the young woman began dousing her face with water.

    "I'm 24 not 18, mama."

     "I wasn't insinuating that you were. I was just asking."

    Looking at her mother, Roddrick sighed. "I don't know what time I got back, but it wasn't that late." A silence followed before Rockelle decided to switch subjects.

    "Do you have any idea of what's making you sick?" Her eyes followed a trail down to Roddrick's midsection. Call it intuition, or a mother just knowing that something major was going with her daughter, but Rockelle had a pretty good suspicion as to what ailed her.

   "Might have been something I ate like you said." Not thinking anything of where Rockelle was headed with her question, Roddrick slipped past her, exiting the bathroom.

    She moved to the kitchen, making herself a glass of water as she took a seat at the table, accompanied by her mother. They sat without saying a word for a few minutes, Roddrick anticipating the moment her mother would return to her room so that they wouldn't have to sit there in an uncomfortable silence.

    "Did last night go well?" Rockelle asked, stirring up conversation as Roddrick fidgeted in her seat.

    "I'm sure it could have gone better. Not that big of a loss for me, honestly." She admitted.

     "You say that, but your face is telling me something different." Rockelle's hand reached out and softly grazed Roddrick's as it began twirling pieces of her hair. With a gentle smile, she grabbed onto the younger woman's hand with both of hers, age being the difference between the two.

    "I basically got what I had coming." She laughed to ease the hurt. "I must have been too wrapped up in my imagination than what was real."

   Rockelle looked on pointedly before she cleared her throat.

     "I've never heard talk about this young man. Were you two together for long?"

     "No." She shook her head, not feeling obligated to share with her mother how well they had gotten to know each other in a short period of time.

      "Then like you said, no loss for you. Sometimes the hurt can go away quicker when there's less attachment to one another."Her mother saidwith a shrug, her eyes revealed that what she said sounded like bullshit even to her own ears. Roddrick accepted her few words of comfort with a nod.

    "Yeah."

    The look in Rockelle's eyes softened as she seemed to be taken back to a happier time in her memories. Raising an eyebrow, Roddrick was just about to ask what was going on in her mind before her mother cracked a subtle smile across her lips.

     "You're daddy and I didn't know each other long. One look and he had me and-"

     "If this is what you want to talk about, then I don't want to hear it, mama." Roddrick's voice was leveled and low as she sat stiffly against the back of the chair. Rockelle eyed her, taking a breath before pushing back from the table.

   "I know how you get..." She added as she slipped away. She couldn't see the twitch of Roddrick's eye or the way her fist clenched as she was ready to let her mother know just why she gets any kind of way whenever Clint was mentioned.

    "I'm going to make a pot of coffee. You're welcomed to have a cup if you would like...."

    "Is she done throwing up?" A sleep laden voice cut the tension in the room as Roderica slowly walked towards the dining room table, squinting from the lights that shined from the kitchen.

   "I think I got everything out-oh-oh no I think there's more..." Roddrick began making gagging sounds that were realistic enough to make her sister jolt from the position she had taken on her lap and flinch away.

   "You are so freaking nasty!" She whined.

    "I'm so sorry. I must have caught a stomach bug. Hopefully you won't get it...with me sleeping with you last night and all." Roddrick's eyes were droopy as she spoke in a grave tone, igniting fear within Roderica at the possibility of catching any kind of sickness.

      "No! I have a test Monday, you better pray you didn't because I swear to God I will-"

       "First of all, you will not use the Lord's name in vain. You hear?" Rockelle cut her off as the sound of the coffeemaker played behind her.

    Roderica ducked her head as she whispered a "Yes ma'am." To their mother. Roddrick was ready to taunt her just as the smell of the coffee grinds drifted to her nose, incapacitating her as she began to feel queasy all over again.

     "That smells like a skunk..." She spoke weakly as she stood from her seat, taking slow steps towards the bathroom before breaking out into a run.

    Roderica watched her body move as a blur as she closed the bathroom door loudly, and sounds of her retching reached outside.

    "It's not even that bad!" She called out, cringing from the sounds of her body acting against her. "I don't know what she's tripping about; I like the smell of coffee." Rockelle stood with one hand on her hip as the other leaned against the counter.

    "Go get my cane, baby." She waited for Roderica to return before mumbling out loud.

      "There's going to be a lot more things for that girl to trip out about come soon..."

      "Like what?" Roderica asked as she pulled out breakfast items from the refrigerator.

      When she heard the bathroom door open with the sounds of the toilet flushing, and a grunting Roddrick falling onto the couch, she shook her head.

    "Just what I said."

oOo

     "You look like shit." Danny whispered into Roddrick's ear as she adjusted the equipment bag she carried on her shoulder as their team walked across an open field, off to take more shots of another fall appointment.  Roddrick had come in sluggish, looking like she could barely pedal the thin bike she rode in on.

    "I look it. Feel it." She replied as Danny hooked an elbow into her own.

   "What did you get yourself into, hmm? The baby sick?" Making kissing faces at her, Roddrick pushed away her friend as she shriveled up her nose.

     "You want what I got?"

      "Ew, you think you're contagious?" Danny shouted loud enough to draw attention from those around them, causing the couple whose engagement photos they were shooting to look on worried.

   "Damn, you got a big mouth." Roddrick side eyed Danny as she still look revolted with a hand held to her chest in a dainty way. "And no, I am not contagious. I'm not even really sick. I just got something..."

    "Well, whatever you do, please make sure that you keep that something. I haven't been sick since I was a kid." Danny made a cross as she looked to the sky. "And I'm not too eager to get sick now."

    "Here I thought you were my bestie, and down for whatever." She said as she rolled her neck.

     Danny turned around to her, a smile on her face as she scoffed." Mhm. Yeah, whatever."

     "How about we get this shoot done and over with, and keep these people happy. They keep looking back here at you like you're Typhoid Mary." Danny smiled tightly, as she waved to the fiancée who kept looking over her shoulder before turning back to whisper to her future wife.

    "You know, that's not a bad thing to be thought of as when you look at it from a different side. I mean, she did go down in history as a well-known woman..."

   "Usted y su sentido." Danny waved her away as she began to walk faster, leaving a smirking Roddrick behind.

oOo

     "These should be ready for pick up about the middle of next week." Danny smiled at the two women before her as they grinned in appreciation.

     "Thank you so much, and once again, these were all just so beautiful." The more talkative of the two turned to Roddrick across the room. She put down the ginger ale she now gulped, properly thanking them for their compliments.

   "It's not that hard when you're natural models. Congratulations on your engagement." She said after she walked to join the small group.

    "Thank you, I hope you feel better as well, it is flu season. You can never be too careful." The quiet one finally spoke, giving acknowledgement to Roddrick's less than stellar state during the day.

     They watched as the couple left the building, all starting to turn back to their own business. Roddrick had already started to walk away from the front desk when the sound of Danny greeting someone met her ears. It was white noise and irrelevant until she heard the stranger answer back.

    "I was um-actually here to see Roddrick." Milo said softly, spotting her curly head from a distance come to a stop and whip around. When his eyes met hers, he saw the raw surprise she must have felt from him showing up morph into one of the coldest stares he had ever been on the other side of.

    "Rodd-Oh." Danny called, turning to grab her attention before she caught sight of her stance. "Um, this gentleman is here to see you." She announced.

      Roddrick stood in silence, never breaking her stare.

     "Give me just one second, please, and I'll be right with you." She held one finger up with a smile as she began to quickly walk to Roddrick.

    "Hey, that guy said he's here to see you. You're not going to-"

    "No." She sneered as she turned on her heel.

    Danny's eyes bugged as her mind began to race.

     "Is he by chance the one night stand?" She whispered, hungry for an answer.

      Coming to a stop, Roddrick turned around, speaking loud enough that her voice carried across the studio.

    "He," She emphasized with a twist of her hand," is nothing." She had every intention of him hearing her. The way his shoulders lowered even more let her know that he did.

    Nodding her head in understanding, Danny returned to the front, her face less friendly as she took her friend's cue.

    "I'm sorry, she's not seeing anyone at the moment."

    Milo gripped the edge of the counter tightly." Do you think you can talk to her again? It's really important and-"

    "Look, I don't really know who you are, but if she says she doesn't want to see you, then that's final. Got it?" The way she leaned across the counter told that Danny wasn't bullshitting with him. Milo didn't dare challenge her either as he began backing away.

    As he looked back to where he had last seen Roddrick standing, he found her eyes peaking from behind a cracked door. The sight was only brief as she closed it quickly, cutting him off once again.

     Roddrick didn't take a breath until she heard the faint ding of the welcoming bell signaling that Milo had left. Falling back against the door she rubbed her temples as she calmed down.

    She felt a slight shove as the door was opened from the other side. Knowing who it was, she moved aside for Danny to enter. Her eyes were serious, no longer the teasing gleam they naturally possessed.

    "Who was that asshole? I thought you were going to kill him the way you stared him down." She dragged Roddrick to the small couch in the room, crossing her arms as she waited for her friend to fill her in.

   "You remember the guy I told you about from my summer trip?"

    Danny's eyes narrowed as she recalled their talk not too long ago." That was him? That boy was fine, good job mama-" She began to congratulate her but quickly withdrew her smirk as Roddrick's eyes cut to hers." But not that fine." She corrected fast. Roddrick fell back against the couch cushions, closing her eyes as she began to draw out a picture of her connection to Milo for Danny.

    "His name is Milo. His sister is Lauren, which is the friend whose wedding I went to, he's her little brother and I slept with him and he caught feelings then I turned him away and then I caught feelings and he invited me out last night and I said yes and he had his girlfriend there and I got played."

     "He was trying to make you a side chick? How stupid is he. He probably thought he could take you both home..."

    "Trust me that never would have happened."

      "Girl he got you fucked up thinking you'll give it up whenever and wherever just because you were out being a hoe in a foreign country."

   "Danny!"

    "I bet you we can catch him before he gets far. Run up on him at a flashlight on your bike and I'll bust his taillights from the back. You know I have a bat in my trunk, we can make it happen."

    "I'm not talking to you anymore." Roddrick stood to her feet, exiting the room with Danny behind her.

    "You know I'm just playing, Roddrick. He was wrong for doing that to you though, seriously."

    "I don't even care anymore. We both were hooking up for the same reason so-"

     "Oh, so you were just trying to cut to?" Danny raised an eyebrow with the new information." Then why are you mad? Cause he threw a wrench in your plan?" She asked amused.

   Roddrick ignored her snickering as she began collecting her belongings, shaking her head at Danny's comments, even though some of them did bring a smile to her face.

    "You're leaving so soon?" Danny feigned surprise as she sat at her desk.

    "Make sure you pay me my money. Or I'll be back up here to get it." She warned as she opened the door.

    "Yes, daddy!" Danny called as Roddrick stepped outside into the cooler air. In the parking lot, she didn't see the car that waited just for her as she went to her bike, unlocking it and packing her things in the front basket.

     "Ah, shit." She moaned once she stood, prepared to mount it as Milo climbed from his car, his figure a hard one to miss as he began walking slowly towards her. Roddrick could have easily pedaled away, but she found herself stuck in her starting position as she watched him approach.

     "I know I'm the last person you want to see-"

      "So why are you here?" Roddrick cocked out her hip as Milo came close, holding up her hand to tell him to stop at a certain distance." I think that's close enough."

   He shuffled around on his feet as he thought of words to say." I wanted to apologize for last night, for Alex-"

  "For Alex? Doesn't she deserve an apology seeing as how you've got her thinking you two are together when you were so quick to come at me?" She stared at him venomously.

     "That was all a misunderstanding. I can explain it-"

      "Don't. I don't need it."

       "But Roddrick-"

     "Is this all you came here for because quite honestly I've got better things to do right now."

    Clearing his throat, Milo ran a hand through his hair as her rejection began to burn.

    "When I saw you again yesterday, I knew that it happened for a reason. Just like the first time we met."  

      "Please." Roddrick snorted, not wanting to hear anything he said.

     "I'm serious. I know it probably doesn't seem like it now, but I'm not just here for...what you think I want."

     "Could have fooled me. Actually you have been for a while." She mumbled as her sarcastic remarks made it more difficult for Milo to speak. He could even feel a light sweat breaking out above his brow as his mouth became dry.

     "I want to get to know you, Roddrick. I have wanted to for all of this time. We can start on a different slate, on your terms and I'll be completely cool with that." His words were soft as he fought the urge to leave the designated zone made by Roddrick, and break the distance between them. " I'd be grateful for it."

    Roddrick saw the sincerity in his eyes, but didn't care too much about it.

     "Well, my terms would require for you to stay the hell out of my way and never show up to my job again. Either one of them." Her voice was smooth as she finally threw her leg over her bike and stood to pedal away.  She slowed down her movements before turning to Milo one more time.

    "And tell Lauren I said hi."

oOo

     Rockelle walked through the aisles of the drugstore, searching for the one item she came for.

     When she came to the family planning aisle, her eyes roamed through many bright boxes, that all promised accurate results.

     Once she found one that satisfied her search, she made sure to pull three off of the shelf before heading to young cashier who looked at her surprised.

    "Will that be all for you today?" He asked holding back laughter.

     Dropping her purse on the counter, Rockelle's stern look was enough to silence him as he rang her up, bagging her purchase with a quiet, "Have a good day."

oOo

     "You went out? I could have taken you, mama." Roddrick waited for her mother to enter the living room from her spot on the couch. She held half of a peanut butter sandwich concoction in her hands as she noticed the plastic bag at her mother's side.

     "I hope your bladder is full." Rockelle took out one of the rectangular boxes; confusion fell upon her daughters face as she stopped mid bite. "Because we've got some things to find out tonight."

     "What in the world are you talking about?"

       "Roddrick," Rockelle took a seat beside her on the couch, a hand at her knee." The way you've been for the last few weeks, I should have realized it sooner."

    "I'm not pregnant mama!" She said, throwing the sandwich that was once appealing onto her plate."I would need a man for that to happen, and let me tell you I don't have one."

     Her eyes were solid with conviction as she tried to stand up. Her mother's hand stopped her instantly.

     "Honestly, mama." She said when Rockelle stared at her unwaveringly.

     " Sometimes things like this happen, baby. It's not impossible. Even if you were never serious with him, accidents can happen."

     Scooting back on the couch, Roddrick's eyes bulged forth. "Who is he?"

    "The young man you were with last night."

      She froze instantly as the fear of something like being pregnant became plausible.

    There was no way.

     "I'm pretty sure it's rare to get pregnant overnight mama. Probably even harder when I barely even shook his hand!" She hoped that what she said would debunk any suspicions she had, but was quickly disappointed as her mother nodded her head in admittance.

    "Your sister told me about you two. You should know better than to tell that girl anything. She can barely keep water."

    As if summoned by the mere mention of her, Roderica entered through the front door, her cellphone up to her ear as she began dumping her book bag on the floor after returning from her usual weekend study session.

    The smile on her face as she spoke to Chris on the phone disappeared first because of  her mother's presence.  When she hung up and came closer to the two, she noticed Roddrick's face and hands shaking with anger as she entered the room.

     "What's going on?" She asked innocently. Dipping her eyes to the pregnancy tests on the table, the color from her face left as she looked back to her sister.

    "Roddrick. I didn't mean to say anything. It just slipped out. I didn't think she'd go off and try to play Maury!" Roderica backed away as Roddrick began to advance on her.

    "Don't. Tell. Anyone. Do you not understand what that means?" She spoke eerily soft.

    "I know! I know! It was an accident. We were talking about you being sick this morning and-it was a joke mama! I was kidding!" Roderica looked around one intimidating woman to the other.

    "You should know better than to listen to what I say." She wanted to make a quick break for her room, but knew that her sister could snatch her up quicker than she could get one foot off of the ground.

     "I think that it's best that we do this now, Roddrick. If you're not pregnant, then you're not pregnant. At least then we would know what we would have to deal with here. My house doesn't have much more space for another head and bed. Otherwise you're gonna have to figure out something else because that's just not happening." Rockelle instantly regretted her phrasing as she saw Roddrick's shoulders tense.

     Roddrick began to feel her anger subside and be replaced by assuredness as she reached for the bag on the table, stuffing the boxes back into it as she headed for the bathroom.

    "I'll put both of your minds at rest, so you can be sure that you won't have to deal with a crying shitting baby in here, okay?"

    When the door slammed shut, Roderica turned to her mom.

    "You know she's going to kill me in my sleep. I broke the sister oath." She groaned as she stared sadly at Rockelle.

    "You can sleep with me then." Her mother offered as she looked back to the bathroom door and waited for Roddrick to reappear.

oOo

      Roddrick's hand fell on the door knob, still shaking from the fear she felt while waiting for the pregnancy sticks to show her results. Turning it slowly, she took a step out.

    She was met by the eyes of Roderica and Rockelle, who sat with abated breath, not able to read Roddrick's expression.

   Immediately they both made their way to see for themselves. Roddrick stood outside the door, waiting for them to see the truth.

     That all three sticks read negative.

    "See! Nothing to worry about now!" Roderica said cheerfully as she shook her sister's shoulders.

    "Exactly, nothing to worry about. And by the way, if I ever do become pregnant, just know that I wouldn't burden you with dealing with another baby, mom. I'll try to have the decency to wait until I'm out of your house. Which now I'm thinking may be sooner than later.

    "Now wait a minute, there's no need to act like this. I didn't mean to say what I did like that. Of course I'd support you no matter what, and you know that."

   "Well thanks. Maybe you could help me while I look for another place to live?"

    "Roddrick, don't say that." Roderica pleaded. She had never been without her sister, and now the thought of her leaving wasn't one she wanted to have.

   "No, Rodey. It's a good idea." Roddrick held up her hand to stop any more words as she began to consider what she had boldly suggested. "I think it would be a damn good idea."

    "You are ridiculous, girl. You know that?" Rockelle finally huffed offended.

    "So you don't agree? I mean that means more space, more quiet time, " She began listing the different things that could be done before coming to one in particular," maybe even Clint could stop by since you two have been catching up so well. Then I wouldn't have to be here for that!" She smiled.

     "Don't you go there." Rockelle said in a cautious tone.

    "I'm just looking out for you here, mama." Roddrick began to place her jacket back on and slip her feet into her shoes." I mean, it's only bound to happen."

    "Roddrick. Please." Roderica called out as she watched both stubborn women smile and laugh at the other. She knew that was one of their defense tactics whenever they fought. They would try their best to seem indifferent and ironic all the while allowing something deep down to boil to the brim.

    "Bring back one of those apartment books, and I'll be more than happy to find you one that suits you well." Rockelle called as she moved to towards the kitchen.

    Roddrick balled the strap of her bag in her hands before storming out of the house, leaving a timid Roderica standing in what seemed to be the start of an issue she thought had finally been laid to rest.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.