Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

hellohello new faces

Blake  Blake

Alex  Alex

Danny  Danny




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


      Milo jingled his car keys as he stepped onto the crowded sidewalk. Looking up to the sky, he saw that it was a clear day, and he found a piece of serenity from it all. He appreciated nice weather lately; it was a piece of relaxation for him.

     Making it to the wide glass doors of Blake's office, he rushed to it, holding it open for a young woman carrying out a box in her arms.

   "Thanks." Her eyes glittered with interest as he gave her his trademark smile.

  Without a word, he stepped into the building, looking over his shoulder to see her eyes scaling down the length of his body.

   "Nope. I've called dibs on her man."  Milo turned to the voice of his friend as they dapped each other up.

   "You can have her." He knew the woman was just his type. Blonde, tall, and beautiful. Milo on any other day would have went for her too-it was just that currently it was a bit hard for what he saw with his eyes in the beautiful women of the city to stir up much desire in the rest of his body.

   "I'm going to break all of the rules and mix business with pleasure." Blake nodded his head, giving Milo a suggestive smirk. "Check this shit out." Throwing a folded shirt his way, Blake sat back with his arms crossed as Milo looked over one of Blake's latest designs. He was on the up and coming list of young entrepreneurs, having started up his own clothing line straight out of college. It was beginning to catch on quickly; young kids wearing his merchandise in the streets, giving his label greatly appreciated exposure.

     "This shit is fire right now. I've already got orders coming in for them by the boxes." Milo gave words of praise as he handed the shirt back to Blake, and followed him into the back of his building.

    He had finally been able to hire a larger staff who all seemed to work well together while still keeping a peaceful atmosphere while on the job. Those who had gotten to know Milo greeted him as he entered the room, heading straight for the lounge couches that were set up along a far wall.

   "Is he on payroll yet? As much as he's here, he needs to start putting in some work." A light manicured hand came to Milo's shoulder as the feminine voice teased him from behind. Tilting his head back, his eyes met those of a woman who he had flirted with on more than one occasion.

   "Hello to you too, Alex." He held her hand as she rounded the couch, heading for her own working space.

   "How was your trip? Your sister's wedding, right?" She inquired as she sat, gazing at him.

   "Nice break. Nice place. Nice wedding."

    "I've never heard a more enthusiastic description of the biggest moment of someone's beloved sister's life."

   "The way I see it, the only difference between their marriage and them dating is that it is now legally recognized, and there's no way out except for death.But then, of course, there's that whole afterlife thing." Pulling out his cell phone, Milo began to browse through it while sharing light banter with Alex as she worked.

    "Milo! I got a question to ask you my good friend." Blake shook his head as he hung up his desk phone. With a raised eyebrow, Milo could already hear the request before it was said.

   "No thanks."

    "It's just one more shoot. That's all I need. My other model says he has some bug, or some shit."

   "Blake, you don't pay me enough for my service."

   Milo laughed as he heard Blake sigh and twist in his chair.

   "Just. One. More.Time." He sang trying to convince Milo to fill in for his upcoming photoshoot.

   "Last time I said yes, it turned into like a hundred fill ins."

   "This is just one. What's the problem anyway?"

   Milo didn't really have a problem other than the fact he felt uncomfortable and vulnerable in front of a camera. He had only agreed before because of Blake's obvious desperation, and he had gritted through the awkward posing directions as the shoot went on.

   "It's important, Milo. I can't find anyone else before tomorrow."

  "Can't shouldn't be in your vocabulary. Have you even tried yet?"

   Blake glared at Milo whose look stood unwavering until the last second.

   "Damn. Last time Blake."

  Tapping his desk, Blake was elated to see Milo give in.

    "Do we have a complete understanding?" Milo asked as Blake stood, and began walking away.

    "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. You're my boy, you know that right?" Blake shot him a wide smile as he rounded the corner and left the room.

   "If it makes it any better, I'll be there to dress...and undress you." Alex flipped her black hair as she tried to get rid of the grimace on Milo's face.

    "Jesus, Alex. If you want to cop a feel..." Milo leaned over the arm of the seat as he got closer to her desk. Taking a pen in her hand, she tapped his nose as she scrunched hers up.

   "Now I'm glad I volunteered for this shoot. I get you."

   There was an underlying tension that had been between the two for months now. It didn't go unseen. It was as if it were a part of a protocol for the two to flirt endlessly each time they addressed each other.    They had given in to temptation a few times now, and still managed to hold up the appearance that they were just friendly and innocent even though everyone was able to figure out what the deal was between them long ago. Milo had said that he wouldn't get involved with anyone so soon after recovering, and Alex had been the only one up until then.

 

   Now of course, someone else had entered into the picture.

   Roddrick Kennedy.

   The last time he had been with his sister at the post wedding breakfast, he had gotten information out of her about the woman he had spent the night with.  Lauren had met Roddrick her sophomore year in college when she and another friend were searching for an apartment roommate after one of their prospects had bailed on them last minute. She told him that Roddrick was a decent girl; never to party crazy, but not always stuck in the house. The way Lauren had talked about her, he knew that she was enamored by the woman as well. If he hadn't known any better, he would have thought they had known each other for a lifetime.

   Lauren didn't question Milo's sudden interest in her, and it made it easier for him to find a way to explore his attraction to her without badgering from family.

  He had been searching every social media website he could possibly think of, hoping to come upon a profile of hers somewhere, but she had no trail.

   Looking down at his phone, he waited for his search results to load as he typed in her name once again. Scrolling through different links, he came across website under her name. Opening it, he found a small smile form on his lips as he saw her face appear on the page. Her smile was subtle and just as alluring as the one he had seen on the island.

   She was a photographer.

   His eyes scanned her brief "About Me" section, and he wondered how her much her speaking voice differed from her sex filled screams.

   The meek expression on her face caused another churning knot in the pit of his stomach as he stared into her eyes through the screen.

   Before he knew it, he was going through every link, tab, and photo on her website. Completely immersing himself in the little parts of her he could find.

Vvv

       Roddrick sat crissed crossed on her mother's couch. Glasses on her face and computer beneath her fingers as she uploaded photos to her photo blog. She had a hefty number of subscribers who enjoyed her posts, and living through her photos and experiences. She was typing away when Roderica had entered the house noisily singing.

     "Hey old woman." Roderica flopped down on to the couch beside her, picking up the TV remote and flipped through channels before landing on a rerun of her favorite reality show.

    "What are you doing?" Leaning against Roddrick, Roderica looked over her shoulder at the laptop as her sister worked.

   "Giving the people what they want." Taking off her glasses, Roddrick buried her thumb and forefinger into her sockets, rubbing at them. She could feel Roderica swatting at her hand, but continued on.

   "You keep doing that and you're just going to irritate them." Lately, Roddrick had felt as if her body was betraying her as she came closer and closer to her twenty fifth birthday. As soon as she hit twenty, she had begun to feel like something inevitable was lurking around her, waiting to rear its ugly head.

   "They must be dry. I'm going to go see if mama has some eye drops." Excusing herself, she stretched as she stood from the couch, leaving Roderica to take over her spot on the couch.

   Roddrick entered the small bathroom, bracing her hands against the sink as she widened her eyes. When she looked at her reflection, she searched for any sign of the unspoken fear she had been holding on to.

   It was the reason why her mother had to stop driving a few years ago, why she had lost partial control of her body, and had to walk with the help of a cane.

    Pushing back her hair, she examined her face.  She wished that she could know from just looking if she carried the same fate as her mother. She knew that one day everything was fine; you felt young, healthy, and full of life before things started to run south.

   She blinked away the blurry spots in her eyes as she turned on the faucet. She splashed water onto her face, happy for the cooling liquid as she reached for a towel.

   "You in here just letting the water run?" Rockelle stood at the doorway, watching her daughter silently.

   "Sorry." She turned it off, as she looked to her mother. Rockelle held her large sunhat by her side as she leaned against the specially carved cane Roddrick and Roderica had gotten for her last birthday.

   "What's on your mind?" Her eyes peered into Roddrick's, seeing the truth that lay behind them, yet she waited for a response.

   "Huh?" Roddrick's eyes widened as if she had been caught doing something to be guilty of.

   "You don't think I know you by now? I can see that look in your eyes, and I'm telling you right now to stop it. Stop and forget whatever it is you're thinking."

 

   "I'm not thinking nothing." Roddrick nervously laughed as her mother walked to her, turning her shoulders so that they both faced the mirror.             "You'll be fine. Do not worry yourself about something that won't happen."

 

   There was a heavy silence which fell over them as Roddrick leaned her head against her mother's shoulder. Her eyes became glossy as she watched her from their reflections.

   "You don't know that." She nearly whispered.

   "Baby, nothing is wrong with you. You're young. You're healthy. Everything is fine."

   "So were you." This time she looked over her shoulder as Rockelle sighed.

   "You're not me."

    "I could be."

    "But you're not."

   "It's not something I have any control over though, mama."

   "Which is why you don't need to let it control you by worrying yourself to death over it. The chances honey, they're low. We've already talked about this, haven't we?" Rockelle had thought she had cleared up Roddrick's worries of developing the same disease she now lived with. Six years ago, she had been experiencing difficulties in certain parts of her body. Numbness, exhaustion-things that were all too foreign to an active woman like herself. When she had received the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, it had immediately seemed like a death sentence to Roddrick.

   Though her mother reassured her that she wouldn't die any sooner than she would have without the disease, Roddrick seemed to constantly dwell on the small percentage of unlucky people who suffered from the disease. It had been three years full of Roddrick constantly sending her mother emails and making phone calls to tell her of some article she had found about the dangers of MS.

   It was Roddrick who had insisted that she move back in with her mother and sister as soon as her vision started to cause her problems too. She wanted to keep close to Rockelle as much as she could, and when she realized that there was no tearing Roddrick away, she realized that she would have to bear with her daughter's almost suffocating attention.

   At first, Rockelle couldn't shit without Roddrick asking if she could help her.

   Now, she had set down boundaries and rules with the young woman, reminding her that she was still her mother and not some nursing home patient she was assigned to , and therefore completely capable of taking care of herself. When she needed help, she wasn't too proud to ask for it, but when she didn't, she reminded Roddrick that she could do whatever it was on her own.

   Roddrick had tried her best to convince her to spend less and less time out in the garden, which had been a sanctuary for Rockelle. She had quickly shot down her pleas and slight scolding for the hobby though, telling Roddrick that she drew the line there.

    "Come on, get out of this mirror. I swear you have too much time on your hands some times." Shutting off the light, Rockelle began leading Roddrick from the room.

   Roderica waited on the other side of the door, having caught the sound of their conversation and the slight watery look to her sister's eyes.

   "Is she doing it again?" Rockelle kept quiet as she ushered everyone out. Roderica knew of Roddrick and her fears, and she too like their mother tried to steer her mind away from things like that.

   "Roddy!" She groaned as she linked arms with her sister."The only thing you're going to get is wrinkles worrying about that crap. Come on. Stop it."

    "Get off of me you leech." Roddrick muttered as Roderica began making kissing noises against her cheek. With little effort, Roddrick pushed Roderica off, and was met with a beaming smile.

   "Guess what?" Just like that the mood was switched as her sister bounced on her tip toes.

   "What?" She tried making her way to the couch, but Roderica stopped her, dragging her into the kitchen with the eyes of their mother on their backs suspiciously.

   "I can tell you in there. She'll hear." As an older sister, Roddrick began to catch on. Raising a brow, she went to pull the folding door to the kitchen.

   "Y'all keeping secrets in my house?" Rockelle yelled form the living room seeing Roddrick's face disappear behind the door.

   "No. Just talking." Turning to Roderica, Roddrick waved her hands. "Well hurry up before she gets up and comes in here. What is it?"

   "Look what Chris sent me." Roddrick took the cell phone that was offered to her. Roderica had begun getting close with a boy from their neighborhood that summer. He was familiar with their small family, and Rockelle had seen him as a good young man with values which matched her own. She had liked him, yet she had always warned Roderica about keeping their relationship buddy buddy. She wasn't a fool nor oblivious to the friendliness that seemed to slip away from the adolescent stage to a more mature version between him and her daughter.

   "Oh my God. He's trying to get some." Roddrick teased as she read the brief messages exchanged between the two. Roderica controlled a squeal as she took the phone back, scrolling to the important message she had wanted to show her sister.

   I think we should spend more time together this summer. Are you doing anything tonight?

   "You better not be doing a damn thing tonight."Roddrick playfully glared.

   "No, it's nothing like that. I think this is it. He wants to hang out."

   "What's the difference? You guys always hang out together."

   "No, Roddy. It's never together together. There's always somebody else with us. It's either his boys, or we're at a party where there's not a lot of together happening."

    "Parties? How did you manage that?" Roddrick was shocked yet amused to find out her goodie sister had seemed to find her rebellious side before it was too late to be controlled." Past mama?"

    "Shh. You can't tell! It's my secret, but that's beside the point. I think this is like...a date or something."

   Roderica's cheeks colored just at the possibility as she sat atop the kitchen counter, grabbing an apple from a nearby hanging basket and twisting its stem. Roddrick bent at the waist, placing her chin in her hand as she studied her sister's face.

   "This is your first." She stated.

   "No! I mean-yeah."  Peering at her sister's grin through her lashes, Roderica sucked her teeth.

   "This isn't funny."

   "I'm not laughing. "

   "Yes you are, you're smiling all stupid and stuff."

   "Stupid and stuff..." Roddrick straightened up and braced her back against the counter as she toned down her excitement seeing that it made her sister uncomfortable. "Will you let me help you get ready? What time is he coming? What are you going to wear? Where is he taking you? Is he paying?"

    Relieved from the support she had in Roddrick, Roderica took a bite from her apple as she fought the giddiness rising.

   "I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. I still have to text him back. Oh my God, is this really happening?" She held her face between her hands as she kicked her feet against the cabinets beneath her.

    "You got one second to get your butt off my counter, girl." Rockelle stood at the entrance to the kitchen, watching her daughters as they both scattered from the kitchen. Roderica slipped past their mother fast, and Roddrick was just behind her before she stopped in her tracks remembering that she was an adult now and didn't have to run like she stole something.

   "What were y'all in here conspiring together?"

   "Conspiring? Mama, we were just talking. She was telling me about some...colleges she had her eye on. You know it's never too early to get ready for application season in a few months." Opening the refrigerator, she tried to make herself busy as a distraction.

 

   "Don't you be playing with me."
       "I'm not playing with you." Giving her an innocent smile, Roddrick closed the door.

 

   "Then why are my instincts telling me otherwise?"

   "Uh, well-"The sound of her cell phone ringing from the next room saved Roddrick as she sent up a mental thank you.

   "I gotta get that. It's probably important." Leaving a pondering Rockelle alone, Roddrick raced to the living room, digging beneath the couch pillows for her phone before the caller gave up.

   "Hello?"

    "Roddrick! Thank God. I have a job for you." Roddrick's ears perked at the prospect as the other woman on the line spoke.

   "Sure Danny, what's up?"

   "I've got a photographer that apparently went and caught the flu or something ridiculous and cancelled for tomorrow. You know I have that shoot and I really need-"

   "You want me to do it?"

    "Please beautiful? I promise I'll pay you well. I'll feed you. I would give you gas money if you owned a car..."

   "Okay, you don't have to beg." Roddrick laughed as Danny went on.

    "You're sure this isn't putting you out of your way?" Roddrick knew she had some spare time to give, and it would be better than doing nothing.

   "Of course not. I've got you."

   "This is why you're my main chick, you know that, right? I love you oh so much."

   "Yeah, you better."

   "It's at eight tomorrow morning. I know I don't have to say it, but don't be late." Danny ended their conversation quickly, giving Roddrick directions that she was to follow. Tossing her phone aside, she realized that there was no point in trying for a quick nap before work, and instead she began to get ready for her shift.

Vvv

    Next Day

      Roddrick stirred the decaf coffee she held in her hand as music played behind her. She watched as others moved around, doing their jobs as she picked over the fruit spread that had been left out. Placing a grape in her mouth, she looked up to meet the eyes of a man heading towards her with a large smile.

    "Roddrick, right? Hi, I'm Blake. I can't thank you enough for doing this last minute. I heard Danny had someone bail on her too." Quickly swallowing, Roddrick reached out to take the offered hand. It was large and strong as his grip held hers tightly in his enthusiastic mood.

   "Yeah, some bug going around. Her photographer had to drop last minute."

   "Funny, that's the exact thing my model told me..." Blake's brain began to click as he thought back to the last time the photographer he was more familiar with had worked with his model, and how well they seemed to mesh.

   "Must be some bug. Then." Roddrick smiled as he shook his head.

  "Anyways, I'm glad to be working with you. I really appreciate it."

   "Seriously, it's not a problem." Roddrick assured him.

   "Any minute now, and my other guy should be here." Checking his watch Blake narrowed his eyes." Or I'm going to drag his ass here myself." She watched as he walked away, off to something else. She had all of her things set up and ready to go, and watched the small crew Danny sent for her mingle around the set.

    Roddrick began rubbing at her eyes, as she looked around. Quickly, she went for her bag, digging around for her eye drops, quickly putting them in each eye. They gave her some form of relief and comfort. Today, she had chosen to wear her contacts, opting out for her usual glasses. She still wasn't used to them, but had decided that maybe wearing them more often could solve the issues she felt like she was having lately.

    Wiping away the small tear which fell free as she reoriented herself, Roddrick's eyes began to focus on a figure that stood before her. She watched as the person began to walk towards her, and when she finally cleared up her eyes, her heart stopped.

    "What the hell?" She took a step back as Milo approached her, just as frazzled as she was. Except, his surprise was much more welcomed.

   "It's nice to see you again too." He responded after a delayed moment from staring at her. He wasn't sure if he had seen right; it had been dark that night, but he knew he wasn't mistaken.

    "Why are you here?" Roddrick spoke quietly, as she questioned him. She looked around, feeling that someone could hear her speak to the mystery man.

   "I'm guessing the same reason you are."

   "What are you talking-"

 

    "Hey, asshole. Get back there and get ready." Blake interrupted the reunion as he spotted Milo from afar. Roddrick watched as he gave a firm shove to the other man's shoulder which he seemed to take no offense to.
       "I don't think you want to upset the model, Blake." Milo spoke to him, yet kept his eyes on Roddrick. He watched the flushed expression on her lips, now in better lighting, and immediately stored it away as one of his favorites.

 

    "You're the model?"

   "Not for long if he doesn't get ready." Blake answered for him.

   "Milo." Reaching out a hand, he waited for Roddrick to gather her bearings and return the gesture. Her eyes narrowed, and he could almost sense hesitation within them before she quickly held and released his hand. The rejection felt like a burn, and even more when she gave him a tight lipped grimace that was to pass as a smile before she walked away.

   He watched her walk off quickly, and was taken aback at her actions.

   "Come on; let's get this started, please.  Alex is waiting for you." Milo followed Blake's arm as he motioned to the woman who leaned against a door, watching him. She lifted her hand, waving her fingers at him to come to her.

   Scratching the back of his neck, he went to her with confusion and slight embarrassment.

Vvv

    "Tilt your chin down. Great."

    "Turn your head to the left. No just-a little more-right there. Hold on." Roddrick put down her camera, stepping over to where Milo was. It had been the fourth time she had to go to him to position him; his stiffness telling her this wasn't something he usually did. He was making what should have been a simple shoot even harder for her, and she found herself becoming irritated.

   Her fingertips reached for his chin as she slowly moved his head. She was instantly reminded of the way she had attacked that same face with her mouth, begging him not to stop as he stroked her straight into the mattress...

    She found that her hands had rested against his dark beard, a finger itching towards the corner of his mouth, slightly curling towards his lips. When she came out of the fog of her mind, she found his eyes locked onto her own.

    "Good." Walking back, she began to click away. Flash after flash she saw his face, saw the way he stared through the lens and straight at her. Whenever it came time to change shirts, she cursed herself for looking away as they made the change right on set, opting to look down at her feet or busy herself with rolling and massaging her neck. She knew that there wasn't a moment where he wasn't watching her, and it had become unnerving.

   Sighing, Roddrick nearly skipped for joy when the last picture was taken.

   "Okay, we're done." She called out. There was a small round of applause and whoops as she sat down the camera, immediately walking over to the refreshments as she opened herself a bottle of water and began to down it.

   "Great work guys." She heard Blake's voice approach her from behind as a hand met her shoulder blade. "Thanks again Roddrick, We'll just take a look from the shots and then we'll be done."

    Shaking her head, she smiled politely as he walked off. Out the corner of her eye, she watched as Milo began walking towards her. She stood straight as a rod, anticipating his arrival.

   She had closed her eyes just barely as he came close to her, his unique scent and warmth washing over her body. Before she knew it, it disappeared as fast as it had come, and she looked to see him walking past her towards the dressing room from earlier.

   A sigh of relief left her as she felt her nerves come back down to earth. Looking around the room, she quickly went to where a group of people were gathered as they examined the photos she had taken. Blake waved her over to come see before she could object. She didn't want to sit through looking at Milo's face once again; she just wanted to pack up her things and be out of there fast before she ran into him again. Standing quietly in the background, she listened to Blake and others as they perused the images.

Vvv

    "You're not going to stay for lunch?" Roddrick looked over to a member of her crew as he pointed to the plate full of food he held in his hands. She finished zipping up her personal bag before slinging it across her body.

   "I don't think so. I've got some things to do before it gets late." That was bullshit. He knew it. She knew it. It was just after noon, and she still had much time left in her day. But she still hoped that she could make it out without too much noticing.

   "Okay then. You want us to take your stuff back to Danny's?" Roddrick had worked with them enough and had built a good amount of trust to leave them in charge of transporting her things back to Danny's where it would be locked up safely until she could get to them.

    "If you don't mind." She had ridden her bike there as usual, and she couldn't wait until she could pedal away.

   The man walked away then, finally allowing her a way out before someone in particular would notice.

    Pushing open the heavy doors, she emerged into the sunlight of midday. Just as she went to place her sunglasses on, she caught movement out the side of her eye.

 

   "Can we talk for a minute?" She darted towards her bike as Milo pushed himself off of the wall he had been waiting for her on. He watched her nearly frantic movements to unlock her bike, and slowly walked to her not wanting to scare her off any more than it seemed he already had.
       "Look, I know this is strange, but I think we should talk about this. Don't you?"

 

   "No. No I don't think there's anything to talk about." Roddrick avoided eye contact as she moved her bike back from the rack. Milo moved in front of her thinking that he could block her way, but of course she moved ready to mount and leave.

   "Hey-hey. Wait a minute." He laughed slightly trying to diffuse the situation as he took ahold of her handle bars.

   "Can you move please."

   "I don't think we got to properly introduce ourselves yet. "

   "Do you really think that's necessary?" Roddrick scoffed under her breath as she sat back on her seat, placing her toes on the ground.

   "Our situation is kind of unique...but yes." Milo smiled easily seeing her not ready to take off just yet.

   "My name is-"

   "You already told me." Roddrick cut him off.

    Milo halted for a moment as she seemed ready to bolt away again. He wanted her to introduce herself to him, even though he already knew her name.

   "And so, I was hoping that you could tell me yours?"

    Roddrick remained silent as she stared him down.

   "You seem like a nice guy, but I just...I feel that..."

    "I just want to know your name; I'm not asking you to marry me." His voice was low and teasing as her hands gripped her handlebars. She hadn't insinuated that. She didn't want him to see the blush that was sure to make its way to her face.

  "No, I know I just mean-"

  "Do you have a horrible name, and that's the reason you don't want me to know it?"

   "No-"

   "Are you living a double life while keeping your identity a secret, and that's the reason you don't want me to know it?"

   "Look I know that -"

    "Are you embarrassed about the fact we fucked each other senseless for hours in the Caribbean and now we've run into each at home, and that's the reason you don't want me to know it?" With his last question Roddrick couldn't deny the defensiveness that entered his voice as his voice lost some of its playfulness.

    "I'm not embarrassed." She said with little assurance.

   "Are you sure about that?" Standing to his full height, Milo crossed his arms. Roddrick took that moment to take a closer look at the tattoos that decorated his skin.

   "Roddrick." She finally said, sparing a quick glance to him as a small smile returned to his face.

   "It's really nice meeting you again, Roddrick." Milo's hands came back to hers, this time lightly bumping against her fingers. She flinched away, playing it off by tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. She was grateful for the dark sunglasses as she watched him silently.

   "I have to go." She excused herself, and found Milo not trying to hold her back this time. She slowly began to pedal in the opposite direction, leaving him standing in place.

   "Hey." He called to her as she stopped to look to him.

    "I'll see you around." It wasn't a question that spoke of hope, but a statement that spoke of certainty.

   The shiver down her spine left her unable to deny him as she rode away.

Vvv

       Pulling her bike around the side of the house, Roddrick quietly climbed the stairs as she entered. She came home to find Roderica simultaneously reading a book and sending a message on her phone when she walked in.

    Dropping what she was doing, Roderica sat up at the sight of her sister.

   "You're home." Patting the seat beside her, she moved over making room as Roddrick plopped down.

    "Thank God."

    "Amen to that. I need to tell you about last night." Roddrick sat back and listened to her sister's enthusiastic retelling of her first date. She remembered the way she had been so nervous last night as she had done her make up for her.

   "Are you sure this is okay?"

   "I'm sure."

   "But I don't usually wear makeup. What if he doesn't like it?"

   "We're not doing it for him. We're doing it for you. Come on now, you asked me to do this."

  "You're right, you're right. Not too much please."

    She had been there for Roderica as she picked her outfit of choice, and as she instructed Roddrick on how to do her hair and makeup. Roddrick recognized the same insecurities that she had her first time going out with Brian. Like her sister, it was in secret and she was left to figure out makeup and hair on her own without her mother noticing too much difference as she went out.

     "I think I'm falling in love with him."

   "Whoa." Roddrick was quickly brought back to the conversation at her declaration.

    "I love him." Roderica's brows were drawn together as she came to the realization. She stared at Roddrick with large brown eyes that showed a bit of fear and excitement within them.

   "Rodey..."

   "I've known him since we came here, it's only natural this happens, right? I mean, it's not like I just met him last week or anything."

   "You're still young."

   "What's that got to do with anything? Love is love whenever and wherever, right? You told me that before. Come on, you were crazy about Brian!" Roderica brought her knees to her chest as she watched her feet. "It's no different this time."

    Sighing, she could tell that her sister wasn't speaking as a foolish young girl. Roderica was mature, and she had always known that aside from her exuberant and friendly nature, she was always serious about how she felt.

   "You're right. It's not." Looking at Roddrick with hope, Roderica scooted closer.

   "This isn't the first time I've felt like this. I swear it's all I've been thinking about for the past couple of years now. It's just...never felt like the right time."

      "Sometimes it comes when we least expect it. It does its own thing and just waits for us to realize it."

      "I've had my A-ha moment." Roderica smiled faintly as she looked to Roddrick. " I just don't know how to tell mama. She doesn't want me to have a boyfriend at all. What happens when I tell her I'm in love with Chris? How did you tell her about Brian?"

     See, Roddrick didn't have the best experience with revealing to her mother that she had been spending time with her boyfriend outside of studying for school. She was kind of...forced... into telling Rockelle about their relationship when she had returned home unannounced one weekend to quickly retrieve something, only to find Roddrick in bed with Brian.

   The memory always made her cringe, and to this day she would sometimes get a kick out of the situation.

   "I think if you just sit her down and talk to her, you may get through to her." Roddrick decided to not explain her experience with their mother just yet.

  "But you know how she gets sometimes."

   "Mama trusts you. She knows that you're a mature young lady. You're no fool."

   "I'm scared to tell her, but I don't want to hide this if it turns out to be ...something." Roddrick pulled her sister to her as she seemed to fret over the prospect of somehow disrespecting the rules and expectations their mother had set, while also fulfilling her own needs and feelings that made her happy.

   "I'll talk to her. Soften her up a bit, okay?"

   "You'll do that for me?"

   "Of course. You know she's just a big softie. It takes time to break through that thick skin of hers."

   "Thick wouldn't even begin to describe it." Roderica mumbled, drawing a chuckle from Roddrick.

   "Shh. You know she has ears everywhere."  As if right on cue, Rockelle entered the room, seeing her daughters curled up on each other.

   Roddrick noticed as her mother seemed to hide the few envelopes she held in her hand, but thought nothing of it as she tucked one in particular away.

   "What are you two in here talking about?"

   "You." Roderica quickly answered, shielding her head away from her mother's hand as it came down to her hair.

  "Me, huh? Move over." Taking a seat in between the two, Rockelle relaxed as they each curled up into her side in their own way. Roderica rucked her feet beneath her body as she buried herself into Rockelle's chest, and Roddrick crossed her legs, leaning her chin against her shoulder.

   Like they had done so many times before, they sat like that. Speaking when needed, and being silent as well. In a few hours, Roddrick would have to get ready for work, but until then, she would put it off for the time she had with them.

Vvv

     Roddrick smiled as she removed the menus from a table of customers, leaving them with a smile as she went to place their order. It was dinner time, and their usual rush was at its height as the night went on. She made sure to wait the tables effortlessly, ensuring that she got tips good enough to help her sleep easy that night.

     She eased past other workers as they made their rounds also, completely missing the blue eyes that watched her maneuver like a pro with a drink tray held above her head.

   Milo admired the way her fitted white button down shirt hugged to her body like a glove, accentuating parts of her body that he was sure weren't meant to be the main focus. She wore tight black pants that showed off the curve of her back as she walked away from him, arm stretched high. He was now more than glad that he agreed to come out with Blake that night after he got off of work.

   When he said he would see Roddrick soon, he didn't mean this soon. But he wasn't complaining any...

       Roddrick made her way to the new table that had arrived after delivering the drinks, and checking up on her other customers. Making her way towards the two seated men, she first noticed the familiar face of the man named Blake, whom she had just met today. His companion turned around just as her gaze fell to the back of his head, and if she hadn't any control over herself, she would have screamed in surprise.

   "Hi, my name is Roddrick and I'll be your server tonight." She kept her voice at a more leveled tone than she had expected as she approached their table. Blake instantly lit up as he recognized who she was.

    "Wow, I was definitely not expecting to find you here." He looked to Milo as if they shared some silent exchange as he cleared his throat, hiding a laugh. "What a small town." He raised his eyebrows as he smiled at Roddrick, and she immediately began to feel self-conscious. Cutting her eyes to see Milo's stare darkening slightly on her, she jumped to the conclusion that Milo had told about how they had first met. A wave of anger overtook her, and she couldn't make herself follow proper etiquette.

   "What do you want to drink?" She spoke curtly and low as she looked to them both. Blake noticed her change of attitude, and composed himself as he made his choice.

    "And you?" Roddrick turned to Milo who had sat silently the entire time. It was hard to not put her hand on her hip as he sat up in his seat.

   "What would you recommend?"

   "Water. Soda. Beer. Take your pick." She felt her fist shake by her side as she waited for his order.

   "Is there anything in particular that I should try?"

   "You're trying my nerves."

   "Excuse me?"

      "Would you like me to bring you water, sir?" Roddrick caught herself from telling Milo to fuck off right there on the spot.

     "Is that your recommendation?" His smile let on that he knew what he was doing.

   "I'll bring your drinks right out. " Slipping away quickly, Roddrick took ten deep breaths as she prepared herself for battle.

 

    Something told her that tonight she was going to have a run for her money. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.