Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Alone in her apartment, Cassie sat thinking about what happened between her and Luke. A week passed and Cassie had not talked to him at any point. Luke called a few times. And every time he called, Cassie did not answer. She was unsure of what she would say to him when they talked.

 

Cassie did not think she was ready for anything serious; her life was all over the place. Her mother would say she needed to make a plan, but Cassie was confused. She did not know what she wanted anymore and part of that was because she did not know who she was anymore. She did not recognize the person she saw in the mirror every morning.

 

When she looked back over her relationship with Christian, Cassie could not understand how she let herself get put into that position. Their relationship, especially the way it ended, changed Cassie. And she did not believe she was better for it. Where she was hopeful and optimistic, now she was jaded and distant. She refused to ever be put in a similar situation again.

 

But then there was Luke. Cassie found the man attractive; she was not going to lie to herself about that. In addition to being a handsome man, he was smart, funny, kind and understanding. Luke had a tendency to push her buttons when they needed to be pushed, but he also knew when to stop. He weaseled his way into her life relatively quickly. Cassie also cared deeply about Luke. He was her friend and that was something she did not want to lose. But the sex, Cassie thought, was the best she had in a long time. She was a woman with needs. If she could keep the sex separate from the friendship, Cassie believed it could be a win-win situation for her. Cassie wanted sex with Luke with no romantic attachment. I wonder if he'll agree to that, Cassie thought to herself.

 

Cassie shook her head to get herself out of her thoughts. She needed to get ready. At some point during her stay with Jade the week before, Cassie agreed to show her face at a party Sean was hosting for some reason or another.

 

Later in the evening, Cassie arrived at Sean's New Jersey mansion. There were a number of celebrities in attendance, most of them recording artists. Cassie recognized many of the faces, a few she had even worked with in the past. She avoided them all. Somehow, she managed to work her way through the throngs of people and spot Jade who was sitting outside by the pool talking to a few people Cassie did not recognize. She started to push her way past several people when the voice of her favorite producer called her name.

 

"Cassie!" A man said.

 

Cassie spun around and greeted the man with a huge grin. "Richie, how have you been?" Cassie asked. She was genuinely happy to see the bear of a man.

 

Richie was six foot four inches tall and 300 pounds. Most people were intimidated by his size, but he was a man Cassie knew well. When she was working as a songwriter, she preferred to have him in the studio on the soundboard when it was time for the artist to record the song. She trusted Richie's talent and expertise.

 

"I could ask you the same thing." Richie said. He leaned down and engulfed Cassie's five foot four inch frame in a tight hug. "It's good to see you."

 

Cassie scrunched her nose. "You know I used to say it was good to be seen but right now I'm not so sure."

 

"Why do you say that?"

 

"I've been avoiding this whole scene since I got back." Cassie said using her hand to gesture to the people around her. "Now it seems like I'm in the thick of it."

 

"Why are you here then?" Richie asked.

 

"I somehow let Jade talk me into showing up. She made me promise, and you know how I feel about breaking promises." Cassie said.

 

"I know. You hate it." Richie said. "How about we go sit down somewhere and talk."

 

"You've spotted a place to do that without all of these people?" Cassie asked.

 

"Yeah. There aren't too many people in that corner outside." Richie leaned over to point to a small section of the back yard just beyond where Jade was sitting.

 

"Lead the way." Cassie followed Richie outside. Unlike her, he did not have to finesse his way around people. They just parted like the Red Sea and allowed him passage.

 

Jade looked up and smiled at her two friends as they passed. Cassie gave her a small wave and Richie nodded his head. The two sat down on a couple of large wrought-iron chairs.

 

"These aren't that comfortable." Cassie complained.

 

"Would you rather talk inside surrounded by all of those nosey-ass people?"

 

"No, you're right. I'll deal with the chairs." Cassie laughed.

 

"So you're back stateside." Richie began.

 

Cassie nodded her head up and down. "I am. I have been for about five months now."

 

"You're telling me you've been back in town since March and did not call me?" Richie asked. He considered Cassie a friend and thought she felt the same about him.

 

"I'm sorry Rich. As I said earlier I've been trying to avoid all of this."

 

"And you thought I would drag you kicking and screaming back into it?" Richie asked his voice laced with sarcasm.

 

"No, I just…I haven't felt like me in a long time." Cassie said. She looked down into her hands hoping she could find a better answer there.

 

Richie sighed. He reached out and placed one of his own large hands over hers. "I know his death hit you hard. And it's difficult to get back to yourself again after you lose someone you love. But you can't let that loss define who you are for the rest of your life." Richie said.

 

Cassie looked up at Richie. A small smile formed on her face. "I've missed you and I didn't realize how much until just now." Cassie said.

 

Richie squeezed her hands. "That's good to know. But I meant what I said."

 

"I know you did."

 

"Good." Riche said. He removed his hands from Cassie's lap. "So tell me how are you doing? What are you doing?"

 

"I'm okay. I'm working with Jade and Sean on getting the charity started. We are planning a kind of Halloween masquerade gala. I'm actually very excited about it. Since I'm the one not really working, I've kind of taken on the task of making sure everything is set up and ready to roll for the event in October." Cassie explained.

 

"I see. So no songwriting I presume."

 

"Nope, not a single line. I haven't really been able to since Christian died. But you know that."

 

"I thought, I hoped really, that your muse would find you during your travels abroad." Richie said. "I miss working with my girl in the studio. You know there have been a ton of artists asking me if I knew when you were going to be back."

 

Cassie laughed. "I don't think I'll ever be back. My muse did find me though, or maybe it was a new one I'm not really sure. I've been dabbling in photography. It helps me see the world differently." Cassie said.

 

"Of course it does." Richie said. He was going to ask her another question, but he noticed Cassie staring in Jade's direction.

 

Cassie watched Sean come outside. He had a huge grin on his face and eyes only for Jade who was busy talking with a young up and coming female vocalist Cassie recognized from the entertainment magazines she saw in stores. Sean walked up to Jade and snaked his arm around her waste. She gave him a broad smile, but even from a distance Cassie could tell the smile was half-hearted. Knowing Jade so well, Cassie could tell from her body language that Jade was not completely comfortable in Sean's arms. She was not quite herself.

 

"They make a nice power couple." Richie commented.

 

"Yeah, of course." Cassie said.

 

"You don't sound too happy." Richie said.

 

Cassie did not say anything. Very few people knew the Jade underneath the glam of her celebrity life. And Cassie was not going to be the one to reveal anything Jade was not ready for others to know. It just frustrated Cassie to no end that Jade always stood in the way of her own happiness.

 

"He's a nice guy. If she's happy, I'm happy." Cassie stated.

 

Richie nodded his head. While he had known both women for several years, he was not as close to the pair as they were to each other. However, he could tell there was more to Cassie's statement than she wanted him to believe.

 

"You don't think she's happy?" Richie asked, although it sounded more like a statement.

 

"That's not for me to say." Cassie replied.

 

"What about you? Are you happy?"

 

"How did we get back to me?" Cassie laughed.

 

"I'm just that good." Richie said.

 

Cassie dropped her head and continued to laugh. "Yes, Richie, you are definitely 'that good.'" She paused and looked up. Cassie glanced over to Jade and Sean just in time to see Sean plant a kiss on Jade's cheek. Jade laughed and patted him on the chest. To anyone else Jade looked beyond happy. "I don't think I know what makes me happy anymore." Cassie said looking at Richie. "I think I'm just living one day to the next for now just trying not to regress. You may not believe it, but I am a lot better now than I was a year ago at this time."

 

"I can understand that. But don't let your future pass you by living that way Cassie. Try to find something that makes you happy and hold onto it." Richie said.

 

"Sounds like there's life experience behind this advice." Cassie prodded.

 

"There is, but it's a story for another night."

 

"Why?" Cassie asked confused.

 

"Because your best friend and her beau are walking toward us now." Richie said.

 

Cassie looked up and saw the couple coming their way. She put on a fake smile as they stopped in front of her and Richie.

 

"You made it." Jade said.

 

"I said I would be here." Cassie said.

 

"I know." Jade said.

 

Before an uncomfortable silence could befall the group, Richie spoke up. "Sean, Jade you two look very nice together." Cassie watched as Sean's smile grew and he pulled Jade closer to him with the arm he had around her waist.

 

"Thanks Richie. I don't know if your assistant gave my messages to you, but I was hoping the two of us could hook up in the studio. Jade tells me that you're one of the best to work with." Sean said.

 

"Yes, of course. I'm actually surprised we haven't had the chance to do so yet." Richie said.

 

Seeing her chance Cassie stood and relinquished her seat. "How about Jade and I leave you two to talk shop while we go mingle?" Cassie suggested.

 

Jade raised an eyebrow. Richie recognized Cassie's tactic for what it was. Sean was the only one who seemed utterly out of the loop. "Oh I don't know. We really didn't mean to interrupt the two of you. We just wanted to say hi. Right babe?"

 

"Oh it's no trouble at all. Take my seat Sean. I insist." Cassie said. She reached for Jade's arm hoping it would encourage Sean to loosen his grip.

 

"Are you sure?" Sean asked.

 

Cassie tried hard not to roll her eyes at how dense the man was. "I'm positive."

 

Sean released his hold on Jade and sat down in the now empty chair.

 

"You guys have fun." Cassie said as she dragged Jade away from the two men.

 

"What is this about? You do not want to mingle." Jade said.

 

"You're right. I don't. But I wanted to talk to you." Cassie said.

 

"About what?"

 

Cassie was about to tell Jade about her new plan of action when it came to Luke, but she thought better of it. She did not think Jade would approve. And Cassie did not want to hear Jade's opinion. "You know what, never mind."

 

"So you just wanted to pull me away from Sean?" Jade asked.

 

"That was just a bonus. I was going to run something by you but I changed my mind. That's all."

 

Jade folded her arms and squinted at Cassie. "This had something to do with Luke didn't it?"

 

"It doesn't matter." Cassie said.

 

"Have you talked to him yet?"

 

"No, but I will soon." Cassie said. She decided that soon would be shortly after she left the party. She just hoped he was still awake.

 

"Right. You need to get this figured out. You can't just go around sleeping with your friends." Jade said.

 

"I know that and I will."

 

"Cassie." Jade started.

 

"Jade, there you are! How are you?" A woman came up from behind Cassie and Jade.

 

"Laura I'm fine. You've met Cassandra Mitchell right?" Jade said.

 

"I have not! But I have heard so much about you." The blonde woman said. "I heard you went incognito, but here you are. I would love to have you write something for my new album!" Her hazel eyes widened at the prospect of working with Cassie.

 

"I'm not really doing a lot of work right now." Cassie said politely.

 

"Oh, I see. Jade here is keeping you all to herself isn't she." Laura joked.

 

"No, not at all. I'm just not writing right now." Cassie said.

 

"Oh. That's no good. A talent like yours should never be stifled." Laura said.

 

Cassie produced a diplomatic smile. "Thank you. You are too generous with your compliments."

 

"Any chance that means I'll see something from you soon." Laura prodded.

 

"No, I'm really sorry." Cassie was not. She was never a fan of the woman currently trying to cozy up to her.

 

"That's just too bad." Laura turned to Jade. "I'll give you a call later this week about your organization. I read your email and it sounds like something really great. I'll see you both around." Laura waved and walked away.

 

"Where was I before we were interrupted?" Jade asked.

 

"I can't recall. I'm going to grab something else to eat." Cassie smiled and walked away. She pulled her phone out of the clutch she brought with her. It was almost midnight. Having spent a little more than and hour at the party, Cassie decided it was a good time to leave. She was determined to talk to Luke.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.