Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Long time no see...This chapter has been written for at least 4 years...And, I actually have the ending written too, but my muse decided to quit on the chapters between this and the end. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Late the following Monday morning, Cassie was getting dressed for Luke’s company picnic. She was half dressed in the bathroom pulling her hair into a sloppy bun. Queen’s Fat Bottomed Girls radiated throughout the apartment. It was hard for Cassie to hear the knocking on the door. When she did notice the out of sync banging, she turned down the music and walked over to her door. 


“You’re early for a change.” Cassie said after swinging the door open.


Luke raised an eyebrow at Cassie’s state of dress. One hand was on the door while the other was trying to maintain a hold on the pile of curls on her head. She wore a pair of skin-tight jeans and a bra. It was obvious he had arrived while she was getting dressed. 


“I wanted to get this whole thing over with.” Luke said stepping inside. Cassie closed the door behind them and started to walk away.


“Is this Queen?” Luke asked.


“Yeah, Freddie Mercury is a genius.” Cassie said. 


“You are continuously surprising me.” Luke said sitting down. 


Cassie turned the music up just as the song changed. The first notes of Bohemian Rhapsody began to play. “I love music; it doesn’t matter the type.” Cassie said. She then disappeared into her room for the remainder of the song. When she returned, Cassie had on a shirt and her hair was held up by something other than her hand. 


“Are you ready?” Cassie asked. Luke was sitting on her couch flipping through one of her photo albums. It fascinated her that Luke was drawn to her albums. She was sure he had flipped through each of them at least three times, but every time he came over, he always picked them up.


“Yeah.” Luke said looking up. “Let’s get this over with.” He put the album back on the coffee table with the others and stood up.


“I really should get you some new material to flip through.” Cassie commented as they walked out of her apartment.


“What are you talking about?” Luke asked.


“Every time you come over you look through the same photo albums. I never add anything new to them so you must have seen all of the pictures a thousand times.”


“I like your photos. You know that.” Luke said. He pressed the down button when they reached the elevator.


“So you’ve told me, but I don’t understand why. They aren’t even that great.” Cassie laughed.


“Are you this humble when you write music?”


“I don’t write music anymore. When I used to write, I wasn’t. I knew a hit when I wrote it. But it took a while for me to get to that point. After a few years of churning out chart toppers, I became more confident in my capabilities.” Cassie explained.


“You didn’t realize you were a talented writer after the first hit?” 


“Oh, god no!”


Luke’s company picnic took place at a park not far from the firm’s office building. The pair arrived just as everything seemed to be getting started. Luke recognized a number of his colleagues and a few clients walking around. He searched the faces for the most important ones—the partners. Cassie noticed his calculated movements. 


“Are you looking for something specific?” Cassie asked. 


“I was hoping to see Henry, he’s one of the partners with a controlling stake in the firm. He’s also the one who specifically wanted to see me here. “ Luke said. “If I can run into him early, we might be able to go ahead and take off.” 


“I see. Can we at least get something to eat before you execute this plan?” Cassie asked. She pointed to a long table with piles of food. As soon as they arrived at the park, Cassie’s mouth began to salivate at the aromas coming from the multiple grills in use. 


“Sure, we can grab some food.” Luke led the way to the table of food where a small crowd was beginning to form.


When they got in line, Luke handed Cassie a plate. He pointed out a few of the firms most high-profile clients to Cassie. She nodded her head as he explained how each made their first million. Cassie did not really find the information interesting, but she pretended for Luke’s sake. She had left corporate America long ago, her current foray into one of their parties was only because she considered Luke such a good friend. Cassie mindlessly nodded her head to some other fact when a woman she did not recognized came up to them. 


“Luke don’t bore her.” 


“What? Hey Laurie. I didn’t think you were coming to this.” Luke said.


“I never said I wasn’t coming. I didn’t even imply that I wasn’t coming. Unlike you, I like to socialize with my colleagues.” Laurie said. 


“You would.” Luke said.


Cassie was happy for the break in conversation, but she was curious about the woman. She moved along instead of satisfying her curiosity. 


Laurie fell into line behind Luke and Cassie.


“So you must be the girlfriend.” Laurie directed at Cassie.


Cassie spun around and stared at the woman after shooting a glare toward Luke. “I’m not. We’re friends.” 


“As I told you last week Laurie.” Luke said, more for Cassie’s benefit than for Laurie’s.


“So you keep saying. You know he has a picture of the two of you on his desk.” Laurie supplied.


Cassie looked at Luke and raised an eyebrow. “Really?” She was not sure how she felt about that. 


“I also have a photo of me, Dani and Alex on my desk as well.” Luke said. “I have pictures of my friends on my desk. There’s nothing out of the ordinary about that.” Luke said. 


Laurie rolled her eyes. “Right. Of course.” Laurie said.


It was obvious to both Cassie and Luke that she was trying to start something. Carmen walked up to the trio and joined them in line.


“Hey Cassie, didn’t expect to see you here.” Carmen said.


“Luke promised we could do anything I wanted if I joined him.” Cassie smiled.


“I didn’t say that. I said I would go on our next ‘discover the city’ activity without complaint.” Luke said.


Carmen was confused. “What?”


“Luke is upset because I made him come with me on a tour of a cemetery.” Cassie said.


“Yeah Luke told me. I can’t believe you two toured a cemetery.” Carmen said.


“Yes. It’s the oldest in the city and actually quite breathtaking. Did you know that before Central Park was built, people would utilize Greenwood Cemetery as a park.”


“Just think Carmen, we could be enjoying this lovely event among centuries old tombstones.” Luke said sarcastically. Cassie slapped Luke’s arm in response to his comment.


“That’s…fascinating I guess.” Carmen said. “I knew you appreciated history, I just didn’t think you would visit a cemetery.”


“Ooh I’ve been there.” Laurie said. “It really is beautiful.”


Carmen nodded her head and continued to walk forward as the line moved.


After making their plates, Luke, Cassie, and Carmen sat down at a picnic table to eat.


“Have you seen Henry yet?” Luke asked Carmen. He was hoping to briefly talk to the man and then leave. Luke did not want to stay any longer than he needed. 


“There he is now. Looks like he’s got a client with him.” Carmen said.


Luke looked to where Carmen was pointing. Indeed, the man in question was walking over with Mr. Miller,  the client whose account he and Carmen discussed the previous week. Mr. Miller held a cigar between his teeth. He walked with an air of superiority and invincibility. 


“That’s Mr. Miller. I only met him a little while ago; it was very brief.” Luke said. “I haven’t seen him since.”


The pair were walking toward their table. Cassie looked up to observe the figures coming toward her. She immediately recognized one of them. “Oh my god.” Cassie said.


“What?” Luke asked. He turned to look at Cassie. Her eyes were wide and a look of fear flashed across her face. “Cassie?” 


Before Luke could get a response, Henry and Mr. Miller walked up to their table. 


“Luke, Carmen I’m glad to see two of my best out here today.” Henry said. 


“I heard it was strongly suggested I show up, so here I am.” Luke said. 


“Right, right. You remember Mr. Miller.” Henry said.


“Yes, of course. It’s hard to forget such a prominent client.” Luke stood and stuck out his hand to shake.


“I like this kid Henry.” Mr. Miller laughed grabbing Luke’s hand and shaking it twice. “What’d you say your name was again, Luke?”


“Yes Mr. Miller.” Luke said.


“Oh stop with all the formality. You can call me Milo. That’s what everyone else calls me.” Mr. Miller said. 


Realization dawned on Luke. He quickly glanced at Cassie who seemed to have regained her composure.  “Right Milo.” Luke said. He was trying to maintain his own composure now that he realized just what the man before him was capable of. 


Carmen was not privy to as much information as Luke. Recognizing that Mr. Miller was an important client, she decided to properly introduce herself. Carmen stood. “Mr. Miller I’m Carmen. I help Luke out from time to time.”


“Well, it’s very nice to meet you.”  Mr. Miller said. He overtly perused Carmen’s body before turning to Henry. “You sure know how to hire them!”


Henry chuckled nervously and nodded his head. It was obvious to everyone he noticed what had just transpired. 


“And you.” Mr. Miller said. He pulled the cigar from between his teeth and used it to gesture toward Cassie. “I never forget a face. Just as beautiful as the last time we met.” 


Cassie shivered involuntarily. She was the only one to remain seated. Luke glanced in her direction. He could see she was barely holding it together. 


“How’s that boyfriend of yours? You two still together?” Mr. Miller said with a smile. He put the cigar back into his mouth between his teeth.


“Dead.” Cassie deadpanned. She restrained herself from adding that he already knew that fact. 


Henry said nothing, he could feel there was something more to the interaction between his client and who he assumed was Luke’s guest. Carmen was in shock. Though she was not really close to Cassie, the two women had spent some time together. In that time, Cassie never mentioned a boyfriend or the fact that he died.


“I’m sorry to hear that.” Mr. Miller continued to grin widely and stare at Cassie. 


Cassie shook her head and finally joined the rest of the group standing. “Luke, Carmen, are you ready? We have to be at Dani’s house in ten minutes.” Cassie said. She was blatantly lying, but Luke was not going to call her out on it. Carmen would not either, she could tell that something was not right. 


“You know, you’re right.” Carmen was the first to speak up. 


“I’m sorry Henry, we’ve got plans after this.” Luke said. “Mr. Miller, it was good to see you again.” He turned to Cassie and Carmen, “shall we go ladies?”


Cassie nodded her head. Evidence of her relief radiated through her facial expression. 


When they were clear of Henry and Mr. Miller, Carmen stopped. “Is someone going to tell me what the hell that was about?” She asked. 


Luke looked at Cassie; it was her story to tell. “It was nothing. I’m going to head home.” Cassie said. She promptly left the two lawyers standing at the entrance of the park. 


“Luke?” Carmen said.


“I’m not going to tell you if Cassie doesn’t want you to know.” Luke said.


“But you do know what is going on?” 


“Yes, I think I do. Don’t worry about it Carmen. I’ll check on Cassie. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Luke said. 


Carmen watched as he walked away in the same direction that Cassie went. She was more than slightly confused about the events of the afternoon. 






Chapter End Notes:

Not sure when this will be complete though.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.