Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The days after her homecoming, Cassie attempted to reorganize her apartment. Since returning, the place no longer felt like home. It held memories she did not want to revisit. So, Cassie determined a change was in order. However, after two days of moving things around, she still was not satisfied and she needed to take a break. 

Cassie sat on the bench in front of her upright piano. She stared at the keys. From a young age, Cassie was immersed in music; she couldn’t get enough of it. Her parents, recognizing her love, started her in music lessons at the age of three. She hated the rigidness of going to lessons and practicing but loved being able to play new songs. Music, for Cassie, had a way of getting into her soul it helped her work away her problems. There was music for every occasion. When she was happy, there was Scott Joplin’s “The Entertainer.” When she was sad, she could play the “Moonlight Sonata.” And when there was not a song that could properly express what she was feeling, Cassie wrote something new. Music was her therapy. And when needed, it was also a great distraction from reality.

Gingerly, Cassie placed the fingers of her right hand on the keys. She pressed down on Middle C. The note rang throughout her apartment. Cassie played another note before bringing her left hand up to join the right on the piano. She found herself beginning to play a familiar tune, “Fur Elise,” one of her favorites. Muscle memory took over as her pinky and fourth finger alternated playing E and E flat. It amazed Cassie that after a year away from her beloved piano, her body still knew exactly what to do. 

Cassie found herself getting lost in the music, a regular occurrence when she played for herself. She easily finished the song and transitioned into another. When she played, Cassie focused only on the sound coming from the piano. Nothing else entered her mind. Sitting at the piano was the only place where Cassie could completely let go of everything that seemed to bother her.

The shrill ring of her house phone jolted Cassie out of her trance. She abruptly stopped playing and listened as the phone rang once more. Cassie assumed it was Jade calling; she was one of the few people that actually had and used that number. Cassie also still had not made a decision about whether or not she would help Jade on her new project which would be a valid reason for Jade to call.  She needed something to do, Cassie agreed with Jade on that fact. And Jade was willing to pay her. The singer had already managed to raise some money for the initial start-up, most of which Cassie assumed was seed funding from Jade herself. 

Cassie waited quietly, thinking, in front of the piano, her hands still resting where they were when she stopped playing. After the fourth ring, the machine picked up.

“Hi Ms. Mitchell, this is Detective David Parker.  I was working on Christian Norris’ case. I’m calling because something has turned up and we are considering reopening the case. I would like to talk to you to see if you remember anything else that can help us find Christian’s killer. I know this is probably difficult, but anything you have might help. Please give me a call so we can set something up. Have a good day.”

Detective Parker’s call was not what Cassie was expecting. Without a second thought, she got up from the piano, grabbed her purse and jacket, and left her apartment. She needed space. 

Cassie walked vigorously down the street with no destination in mind. She just knew that staying in her apartment was not an option. The moment the detective reintroduced himself over the answering machine, Cassie’s apartment felt stuffy, too small and absolutely too big and lonely at the same time. The emotions she tried her best to ignore over the past year and a half were crushing her. She needed to get out. Cassie began to slow down. When she stopped, she felt her heart pounding. She then heard her stomach growl in protest. It was around one o’clock and Cassie had not eaten anything since the day began. She was hungry. Looking up, she noticed she was standing in front of one of her favorite delis. She decided to go in and order food. 

Luke needed a quick bite to eat, he had an earlier meeting with a client that went way over schedule. He stopped at a deli that was on his way back to the office. On his way out of the restaurant, he noticed a familiar figure sitting at one of the back tables by herself. He walked over to join her.

Cassie was absorbed in the newspaper that was left at the table where she was sitting. The articles were not that interesting, but she needed to look like she was doing something. Cassie had never been comfortable eating out alone. People watching was not something that particularly tickled her fancy. In her rush to leave her apartment, she did not think to pick up her Kindle on the way out. Cassie heard the scraping sound of a chair, and noticed someone had put a sandwich on her table. 

“There are a number of other open tables available; I suggest you go find one of your own rather than sitting down with someone who doesn’t want the company.” Cassie said without looking up. While she was not too fond of sitting by herself, she also did not want the company of a random stranger.

“I know, but you looked lonely.” Luke said sitting down.

Cassie’s head shot up at the familiar voice. She glared at him. 

Luke ignored her look and fingered her newspaper instead. “I didn’t know people still read these.” He joked.

Cassie rolled her eyes. “It was here when I sat down.”

“Of course it was. How are you?” Luke asked as he unwrapped his sandwich.

Cassie realized that he was not planning on going away.  “I’m fine. I was really great until someone decided to interrupt my lunch.”

“I don’t believe that.” Luke said.

“You don’t believe what?”

“I don’t believe that you are fine or that you were ‘really great’ until I sat down.” Luke said.

“Any reason you think I’m lying?” Cassie asked. She was slightly offended.

“Like I said earlier, you looked lonely. You look like you could use a friend.”

“And you decided that you would be that ‘friend?’” Cassie asked. His decision annoyed her.

“No, I think maybe fate decided that.” Luke said.

Cassie smirked in disbelief. “So the thing about fate at the airport wasn’t a joke? You actually believe in it?”

“And you really don’t?” Luke asked.

Cassie shrugged her shoulders. “It’s a small world.”

“And yet, at the airport you said New York was a big city.” Luke said throwing her words back at her. “I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that we’ve run into each other twice now.”

“You could be stalking me.” Cassie suggested. “That would make it ‘not a coincidence.’”

“I’m not stalking you.”

“Then happenstance it is.” Cassie retorted.

Luke did not respond. Instead he quietly ate his meal. Cassie appreciated his silence as she went back to reading the newspaper. 

“Do you remember that class we had together?” Luke asked. He was only halfway through his sandwich.

“Which one? We shared a few of them.”

“Professor Bradley’s class.”

Cassie laughed at the memory. “The one where you insisted we all stand if we wanted to talk?”

“I only did that once, but yes that’s the one.” Luke said.

“What about it?” Cassie asked. 

“Nothing, I was just talking to Dani—you remember Dani right?” Cassie nodded her head in affirmation. “Yeah, well I was just talking to Dani about it the other night and the time you made sure Frank didn’t sit with us anymore.”

Cassie laughed at the memory, “I forgot about that. You two convinced me that he needed to go.”

“You wouldn’t have done it if you didn’t think so too.” Luke accused. 

“You’re right.” Cassie smiled.

“I know.” Luke said.

The two sat in silence for a while longer. When Luke finished eating, he began to move. Cassie watched as he started to stand and then stopped. She raised a questioning eyebrow.

“Why are you here?” Luke asked. He knew it seemed like a random question, but it was one he wanted to ask since he sat down. When he arrived at Cassie’s table, he noticed she had already finished her meal and the ice in her cup was almost completely melted. Luke could tell she was sitting there for some time before he joined her.

“Excuse me?” Cassie asked putting the paper down on the table.

“I don’t mean to offend you, but I was curious. It’s the middle of the day and you’re sitting in a deli by yourself reading a newspaper from yesterday.” Luke noted.

Cassie did not realize that the paper was from the previous day. “I needed to get away. I needed some time away from my apartment.”

“Seems to me,” Luke said, “that after a vacation one would like to sleep in their own bed. Be in a familiar setting.”

“I just needed to get out, that’s all.” Cassie said quietly.

“Any particular reason?” Luke pushed.

“Don’t you think it’s time you got back to work?” Cassie asked instead of answering the question.

“Cassie,” Luke said.

“Really, I think it’s time for you to go.” Cassie snapped. She stood up and gathered her trash.

“Why are you pushing me away?” Luke asked.

“Maybe because I don’t know you. Or maybe because I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to relive it. It hurts too much.” Cassie said. Her eyes widened when she realized all she had revealed. She began to walk away, but Luke stopped her with a hand around her upper arm.

“Cassie,” Luke tried.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Cassie said again. This time she was pleading; her eyes begging Luke to just let her go. “I don’t want to talk about the fact that a year and a half ago my boyfriend died. I don’t want to discuss the fact that the last things I said to him were said in anger. I can’t go back there.” Cassie pulled herself out of Luke’s grip and walked away.

Luke watched Cassie leave. He was not expecting that answer, but it explained a lot. It explained why Cassie was so guarded. He wondered if there was anything he could do to help her. Deciding that he had spent enough time out of the office for the day, Luke threw away the remains of his lunch and headed out the door and back to work.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.