Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Cassie’s phone rang only seconds after she finished blow drying her hair. She scrambled out of the bathroom to answer the offending object sitting on her bed. 

“Hello?” Cassie said. 

“Hi Cassie. Are you coming?” Jade asked. She was concerned her friend might change her mind about attending Dani’s dinner party. Two weeks had passed since Jade and Dani first discussed the event. Both women were hoping for something, anything really, to transpire between Luke and Cassie.

“Yes I’m coming. You interrupted me. I was in the middle of putting my hair together.” Cassie said. She walked back into the bathroom to plug in the expensive equipment.

“That’s good to hear. I was afraid you might change your mind.” Jade explained.

“Why would I turn down free food from an award winning chef at the most exclusive restaurant in town?” Cassie asked.

“To be completely honest, you haven’t exactly been up for much since returning from your world adventures. Which, I might add, is the strangest thing to me. It seems like you should want to explore more, not less since getting a glimpse of what this planet holds.” 

“Jade, really? Why are you trying to sound profound?” Cassie laughed into the phone.

“Well one of us has to pick up the ball you put down. I’m doing my best to fill the gap in creativity left in our friendship since your personality transplant.”

Cassie shook her head at they way her friend described her new outlook on life. She was grateful that Jade tried her best to avoid mentioning Christian, or his death. “Okay. Look if you want to see me in a couple of hours, I need to finish getting ready. So goodbye.” Cassie said. She did not wait for Jade’s response before she hung up the phone. 

Less than two hours later, Cassie was standing in front of the restaurant she first visited two weeks earlier. Unlike her first visit, the restaurant was open and fairly crowded. She walked in and maneuvered herself through the throng of waiting people. She made her way to the hostess stand and waited for her turn to be helped. 

A young woman, who looked less than friendly, greeted Cassie when the couple in front of her moved to the side. “Can I help you?”

“Yes, I’m here for a dinner party. My name should be on the list.” Cassie explained.

The woman nodded her head up and down. She pushed a note pad to the side to reveal a printed list of names. “What’s your name?”

“Cassandra Mitchell.”

The hostess scanned the document for a few moments without saying anything.

“It could be Cassie Mitchell instead. Cassie, you know, is short for Cassandra.”

“Yeah, I got that. You’re here.” The woman turned to a waiter who was walking up. “Joe, she’s here for Alex’s party.” She pointed a finger at Cassie. 

The waiter escorted Cassie through the restaurant to the back room where she, Dani, Jade and Sean held the first meeting for their nonprofit. “Here you are ‘mam.” Joe said.

Cassie smiled and thanked the waiter before entering the room. It was set up only slightly different from her previous visit. An extra table was out. There were a number of people mingling with each other. Cassie assumed they were all friends. She looked around the room for a familiar face. She finally found one in Jade who was seated at a round table. 

“You made it!” Jade said excitedly. “Have a seat.”

“Even after talking to me, you still didn’t think I would come?” 

“I had my doubts.” Jade said. 

“Have you seen Dani or her husband yet?” Cassie asked. 

“Dani came by a little while ago. Mostly I’ve been sitting here by myself. Every now and then a person has worked up the courage to come over and talk to me. I just got a message from Sean; he’ll be here in a few.” 

“I see.” Cassie reached for the glass of water that was sitting in front of her. “I’m really excited to taste the food. I’ve heard this place is great.”

“Same.” Jade said. She took a sip from her own glass before looking over to the door. When she did, she noticed Sean walking in. As with Jade’s arrival, the group of people stared as the famous singer made his way through the room. He did not stop until he reached the table with Cassie and Jade.

“Good evening ladies.” Sean said sitting down.

“Hi Sean. It’s nice to see you again.” Cassie said. 

“Likewise.” Sean said. He took a seat next to Jade.

Jade caught Sean’s eye and smiled. Cassie watched the interaction and shook her head. She could tell her friend’s smile did not reach her eyes. 

“I was happy to hear you were able to work some time out of your schedule to be here.” Jade said to Sean.

“That’s nice to know.” Sean flashed a large grin at Jade.

Cassie could quickly see where this evening was headed and she rolled her eyes. She did a quick sweep of the room with her eyes and stopped only when she noticed there was a table set up as a bar. Getting up, Cassie left the table and headed for a drink. She did not want to bear witness to the excessive flirting that was about to ensue. 


Across town, Carmen and Luke sat in his office going over paperwork. They had a case going to court in the coming weeks and the two intended to be thoroughly prepared. Carmen looked at her watch. It was Friday evening and both were expected to be at Alex’s restaurant in less than an hour. 

“Luke, we should head out. If we leave now, we might actually arrive for dinner on time.” Carmen noted.

“You go ahead,” Luke said looking up, “I just want to finish going through this depo. before heading over. I swear I’m right behind you.”

Carmen stood, “Of course you are.” She gathered her things and walked out of the door.

When she arrived at the restaurant, Carmen went straight toward the back. She had been to one of Dani and Alex’s dinner parties before; she knew where she was going. She ignored the looks from other patrons and member of the wait staff. As always, the back room was filled with friends of Dani and Alex. She looked around and found Dani talking to another woman at their usual table. 

Carmen tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and walked over to the table. “Hi Dani.” Carmen said.

Dani smiled, “Hey, glad you could make it. And on time to boot, who would have thought.” Dani laughed.

“Unlike some people we know, I like to be on time for events.” Carmen said.

“Speaking of ‘some people,’ where is your mentor?” Dani asked.

“I left him going through depositions. I warned him we needed to get going, but of course, he had to read a few more pages.” Carmen said. 

“Of course. Oh, I’m being rude. Carmen this is Cassie. She’s working with me on Jade’s project I told you about.” Dani said.

“It’s nice to meet you.” Carmen said reaching out to shake Cassie’s hand.

“A pleasure.” Cassie said. 

“Now that the two of you have met, I’m going to check on things in the kitchen. We should be ready to start soon.” Dani said before she disappeared.

Carmen tilted her head and studied the woman standing before her. “Are you the same Cassie Luke ran into at the airport?” 

“You know Luke?” Cassie asked. “Of course you do, he’s your mentor right?” Cassie said putting two and two together. 

“Right.” Carmen confirmed.

“And he told you about running into me too?” Cassie asked.

“Yeah. I was at dinner with him, Alex and Dani when he mentioned it.”

Cassie nodded her head and wondered how many people knew about her run ins with Luke. Cassie looked up when she felt a hand on her shoulder. “Hey you’re done mingling?” 

Jade smiled and sat down. “Yeah. It’s a lot less demanding when you aren’t the only famous face in the crowd.”

Carmen stared at the woman who had joined their table. She recognized the singer instantly. Carmen was a huge fan. She watched enviously as Jade interacted with Cassie. The two were obviously close friends. She waited patiently for either Cassie to introduce her, or for Jade to introduce herself.

“So where is Sean?” Cassie asked noting the other singer’s absence.

“He went to the bathroom. It looks like we have a new arrival to our little table.” Jade said as she looked at Carmen.

“Yes. Jade this is Carmen, she works with Luke.” Cassie said introducing the younger woman.

“I’m such a huge fan.” Carmen blurted out. She covered her mouth in shock after she realized what she said.

Cassie looked at Jade and smirked. She could see her friend was amused, but found the young lawyer endearing.

“I did not mean to say that.” Carmen said trying to regain her composure.

“It’s really not a problem. Most people aren’t able to recover that fast.” Jade said. “Are you a lawyer too?”

“Yes. I’m a Junior Associate. Hopefully, I’ll be promoted to a full associate soon. I’ve been there for a while now.” Carmen said.

“I’m sure it will happen.” Jade said.

Carmen was not sure, but she thought she saw something in Jade’s eye as she spoke to her. Cassie on the other hand was sure. She knew Jade well enough to realize when her best friend saw something, or someone she liked. However, before the conversation could continue, Sean rejoined the ladies at their table.

“I’m back. Hope you didn’t miss me too much.” He joked. He sat down next to Jade.

Jade laughed and placed her hand gently on his forearm. “Not at all.” She said. 

Carmen shook her head, realizing what she thought she saw, was nonexistent. “I’m going to get a drink at the bar; anyone need anything?” She asked abruptly standing up.

Jade looked up, “No thanks I’m good.”

“Thanks for the offer, though.” Cassie said. She watched Carmen walk briskly and confidently over to the table with the drinks. Cassie then turned to Jade and shot her a disapproving look. Jade ignored her and continued her flirtations with Sean.

While Carmen was away from the table, Dani and Alex came into the room from the kitchen.

“Hi everyone.” Dani started trying to get the attention of the room. The pair were now standing in front of empty seats at Cassie’s table.

“We’re ready to get started in a few minutes. I just wanted to take the time before you all have food in front of you, to thank you for coming. There are a lot of old friends here and a few new ones too. I want you all to be honest when it’s time for comments, but most of all I want you all to enjoy yourself. This is a thank-you from me and Dani for putting up with us.” Alex said. The room laughed at his joke. 

“And look who’s getting in right before the food is served.” Dani said.

All eyes turned to the entrance of the room. Luke was trying to be discrete, but he failed. When he noticed everyone staring, he smiled and waved. “Sorry guys. Work you know?”

Dani shook her head. “Yeah whatever. We saved you a seat.” Dani said gesturing to the empty chair next to Cassie. 

Luke nodded. When he reached the table, he sat down. He did not know the two other faces that were at his table, but he did recognize the famous singers. “Hi all,” Luke said waving his hand at the party.

Carmen laughed as she came back to the table and sat down on the other side of Luke. “Nice entrance you made there.” She said.

“I know. I know. I should have left when you did.”

“Damn right you should have.” Carmen said.

“Cassie, it’s nice to see you again.” Luke said turning to face her. She looked different. The curls she wore the last time he saw her, were now straight. Cassie wore some makeup, but not enough to overpower her natural beauty.

Cassie tilted her head to the side. “I take it you’re usually late to events? 

“Haha,” Luke laughed. He ran his hand over his head and down the back of his neck. “ It’s a nasty habit I have. I like to wrap things up at work before heading out.” 

“He’s a workaholic.” Carmen supplied. 

“You stay late all the time so I don’t know why you’re talking.” Luke said.

“I know I do, but when I have an evening engagement, I make it a point not to be late.” Carmen argued.

“You mean a date with, what’s her name again, Sophie?” Luke asked.

“Carmen rolled her eyes. You’re an ass you know that?” Carmen said.

Cassie laughed as the two went back and forth. Deciding she should break up their little discussion, Cassie introduced Sean and Jade to Luke. “Luke I don’t think you’ve met Sean and Jade yet.”

“No I haven’t.”

“Well this is Sean, and Jade. Jade, Sean this is Luke.” Cassie introduced.

Luke smiled at them both. “Nice to meet you.”

“Same.” Sean said.

“You’re the famous Luke.” Jade said.

Luke raised his eyebrows. “I’m famous now?” 

“Well, Cassie told me about you. And I’ve talked with Dani.” Jade explained.

“You talked with Dani about me?” Luke asked surprised.

Cassie looked at her friend in complete shock. “You and Dani talked about Luke?” Cassie questioned.

“It wasn’t a big deal really.” Jade said trying to assuage the situation. 

“Of course it’s not.” Cassie said sarcastically and rolling her eyes. Luke laughed at Cassie’s response, as did Carmen and Sean.

Before Jade could come back with a response, waiters came out carrying dishes. They set a few on each table. Shortly afterwards, Dani and Alex came back out and sat down at the table with their closest friends. 


Throughout dinner, the table occupants seemed to form small cliques. Alex, Dani and Carmen discussed food and recipes—what  type of dishes would feature nicely on a fall menu. Sean and Jade conversed about new artists and songwriters coming into their own. While Luke and Cassie took a trip down memory lane, talking about situations from the past and the few things they missed about the South. 

“So you miss the leaves?” Luke asked incredulously. To him it was the oddest answer to the question he had asked.

“Yes I do. During fall break, my friends and I would make the two-hour drive to the mountains and take a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway to get a few good pictures. The colors were unbelievable. You have not experienced fall until you’ve done it in the mountains of North Carolina.” Cassie said. 

“I’ve never done that. I never really notice the leaves.” Luke said. 

Cassie smiled. “You should slow down some time and just take it all in.”

“I guess I should.”

Dani looked over from her conversation with Alex and Carmen to see how things were going. She was giddy when she realized that Luke and Cassie were getting along fairly well. 

“So what are you guys talking about?” Dani asked. She wanted to get a feel of what exactly was going on between her best friend and her new friend.

“Did you ever drive the Blue Ridge Parkway while in undergrad?” Luke asked.

“Umm, not that I remember why?”Dani said.

“My friends and I could not have been the only ones who appreciated the fall colors?” Cassie said in disbelief.

“I mean I knew people who did, but my friends were more likely to go to the lake and grill.” Dani said.

“We did that too. We did a lot of things. I lived in North Carolina for most of my life, and I explored the state more during my four years at Carolina than any other time in my life.” Cassie explained. 

Jade, just as curious as Dani, also took a moment to see what was going on beside her. Sean needed to take a call, so he headed out into the hall. What Jade saw made her heart smile. She knew Cassie would enjoy the evening and she felt that Cassie was more than ready to move on with her life. But she also knew that Cassie needed a little bit of a push, and Jade was happy that she and Dani had conspired to be the ones to make that push. Currently Cassie sat with her chair turned toward Luke and she was leaning on the table in his direction. Luke’s arm rested lightly on the back of Cassie’s chair. The two seemed very comfortable with each other. 

Satisfied, Jade decided it was best to stay out of the current situation. She went back to enjoying her meal, but not before she cautiously and surreptitiously glanced at Carmen. Unbeknownst to Jade, Cassie was also watching her. It frustrated Cassie to no end that Jade, someone who was not shy about anything, kept her sexuality a secret. Throughout the evening Cassie watched as Jade stole glances at Luke’s co-worker while she continued to flirt with Sean.

While Sean was away, Jade stood and went to the bathroom. Cassie soon followed. She leaned against the sink counter as she waited for Jade to come out of a stall. When Jade saw Cassie, she smiled. 

“So, you’re having fun?” Jade goaded. 

Cassie looked down at the floor before answering. “Yeah, I’ve been having a good time. The food’s good.”

“And the company?”

“It’s not bad.”

“U-huh.” Jade pulled a few paper towels from the dispenser and wiped her hands. 

“I know what you’re thinking Jade.” Cassie said looking up and narrowing her eyes at her friend.

“Really so you’re a mind reader now. Please, oh great one, tell me what I’m thinking.”

“It’s nothing though.” Cassie said instead of verbalizing what she was sure Jade was thinking.

“It could be something…if you gave it a chance…if you stopped running from it.” Jade said.

“And what about you?” Cassie asked.

“What about me?”

“I think it’s unfair what you’re doing to Sean.” Cassie said. She folded her arms to seem more menacing.

“I like Sean, he’s a nice guy.” 

“But he’s not your type. He’s got a penis where you prefer a vagina. It’s not fair to him and it’s not fair to you.”

“So we’re going to have this discussion again?” Jade asked. “How about this. I’ll stop running when you do.” Jade left. 

Cassie stood quietly for a few seconds before she turned around to look at herself in the mirror. “Idiot,” Cassie said to herself. Their conversation was nothing new. It had just been a while since Cassie brought it up. And she only did it as a defense mechanism. She knew it was tough for Jade. But as her best friend, Cassie only wanted Jade to be happy. The woman was supportive, fun, talented and a bit pushy at times, and like everyone else in the world she deserved to be herself and to love someone without the world harping on her for it. Cassie pushed her concerns to the back of her mind. She went back out to the dinner party where Jade and Sean were flirting with each other once again.

Jade looked up and made eye contact with Cassie. After knowing each other so long, they both could read the other like an open book. And from where she was sitting Jade could see Cassie was trying to communicate a silent apology. She smiled and nodded her head letting Cassie know that for now, things were okay between them. She turned back to her conversation.

Upon Cassie’s arrival at the table a new conversation began about the latest tablet to be released. The rest of the evening went much the same way, with a new topic explored by the table after ten minutes of discussion on the previous one. As the party wined down, people began to leave. Carmen was the first from the table to say her goodbyes. She was soon followed by Sean and Jade, who decided there was a movie they needed to see right at that moment. 

Cassie stood and picked up her purse as well. She thanked Dani and Alex for the invitation and left. Dani glared at Luke as he continued to sit in his seat.

“Why are you glaring at me?” 

“I think you should leave too. Don’t make me spell this out for you Luke.” Dani said.

Luke laughed and took the hint. He caught up with Cassie before she was able to get a taxi. “Hey Cassie.”

Cassie turned around. “Luke.”

“Tonight was fun.” 

Cassie laughed at his approach, “Right. It was nice. Alex really did a good job.”

“And the company?” Luke asked.

“It could have been worse. It was fun though, hearing about how you and Dani spent time during undergrad.”

“Yeah.” Luke said.

“We all had very different experiences didn’t we?” Cassie said.

“Yeah, we really did. We should all do this again sometime. Sit. Talk. Eat.” Luke suggested.

“That could be fun.”

Luke dug in his pocket for his phone, “How about I get your number so we can set something up in the future.” 

Cassie shook her head and laughed, “No way. How about you give me your card, and I’ll be the one to decide when or if we all get together again.”

“Fine, just a second.” Luke dug in his brief case for a pen and a business card. He turned the card over and scribbled his cell phone number on the back. “Here.”

“Thanks.” Cassie said. She took the card and looked at it for a second before stuffing it in her pocket.

“You’re not going to lose it that way?” Luke asked.

“I have a feeling that if I did lose it and I wanted to call you, Dani would not hesitate to give up your number.” Cassie said.

“I think you’re right.”

Cassie smiled, “I know I am. Here’s a taxi. I should head home. I’ve got some things I’m working on at the moment.”

 

“Of course. Have a good night.” Luke said. He watched the cab pull into traffic before he walked a couple of blocks to the nearest subway stop. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.