Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu


Vulcans didn't forget anniversaries.  Any human reckless enough to care for a Vulcan was just as likely to remember. Rings weren't practical in her role as Communications Officer, and they drew unfavorable attention on some planets, but Nyota Uhura wore her love for her bondmate the same way some people wore wedding rings: quietly, consistently, shining brightly when something illuminated it.


Then the uneasy balance of Starfleet life tipped against her hopes. Fears over Spock's fate on an away mission involving a hostile scientist who controlled a small supply of a valuable chemical almost made Nyota forget their anniversary. Gratitude filled every cell and space of her entire being when she saw Spock, flanked by McCoy and Sulu, materialize on the transporter pad.  Spock's body was bruised beneath his torn uniform, but he was otherwise whole and safely returned to her after three frightening days.  


Upon Spock's return from Sickbay, Nyota settled him into their shared cabin with tea and a meditation robe.  He drank the tea, touched her hand, and Nyota and waited for him to talk to her about what had happened. Instead, he withdrew to meditate. 


She sat holding her own cooling tea, wondering what to do.  Finally she decided to pray - gratitude this time, instead of a plea for help - and go to bed.  After what seemed like a long time Spock lay down beside her on the freshly changed sheets and pulled her close.


"Love.  My love. Stay here. You're not needed on the bridge yet. Just feel what you need to feel," Nyota said. Their embrace was warm and comforting and his kiss gentle, but Spock still said little. He muted their mental bond, concealing his memories of frustration at the wrong turn the mission had taken and the longing he'd felt during their captivity.


Nyota moved aside their clothing so that more of their skin touched, knowing it would help him more than her.  As a touch telepath, Spock would sense her concern and affection for him.  As for herself...


Sighing, Nyota drew upon her empathy and knowledge of her bondmate to try to understand.  Both his eyelids and the arm draped over her waist seemed heavy; Vulcan strength didn't completely prevent fatigue and stress. His jaw grew less tense.  At last his breathing slowed, eased, calmed as she felt him drift away from her again.

 She kissed his forehead, knowing it would be their last kiss of the night before she slept.  Planning a simple, romantic anniversary dinner was not something to discuss now.  Better to leave things open in case either of them experienced any emotions which felt difficult to control.  

 Starfleet's relentless schedule must also be considered.  Their next rotation into shore leave began in about eleven hours.  When they awoke Nyota and Spock would travel to the surface of Punctilio-26, a Federation planet, and check into Starfleet crew quarters.   Almost immediately, they would need to join Captain Kirk and other officers in making an appearance at a diplomatic reception.  Punctilio-26 was renowned for its gorgeous Earthlike landscapes, economic stability, love of cheese-like foods, and earnest, industrious humanoid population. The Punctilians weren't known for their sense of humor, but as a Communications Officer Nyota knew how to be cordial even among the grumpy.  


 Mandatory party attendance seemed less disconcerting than trying to reassure a brooding, uncommunicative Spock.  He looked at her so intensely, held her close, but said little.  It made Nyota feel as though she could not help him.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.